ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

how could he have been possibly hired in the first place? people are given 2nd chances but not 3rd and 4th chances. if he was a player he would not have been given a chance to be on the team initially and and players certainly wouldn't get 3rd or 4th opportunities.
so if he is kept they are treating him differently than anyone else would be treated.
and personally the coaches should be held to higher standard than anyone else.
they are supposed to be role models and he continues to make same mistakes.

It used to be dwi's were not connected state to state. the guy has a drinking problem, but he didn't hurt anyone. so have him ask people to fill out his green card at 2 AA meetings a week for 6 months, 15 years license suspention, and no alcohol for a year. with the understanding, one more alcohol offence or driving while suspended, and he might as well pack and save any jibber jabber for a shrink. ( you can allways get the 15 year suspention reduced later if you have a good lawyer and track record showing some repentance)

perhaps these type of posts should be stricken ... they are very likely true, however, if I were the kid, parent, or coach reading any of this I would quickly put out a statement that my son or player had no interest in committing to a coach who was clearly drunk and then decided to drive while impaired .... and clearly state that the reason we didn't commit had nothing to do with looking for extra benefits

we aren't going to win any PR campaign as to why Lewis may have not committed in this situation
I agree. I would assume that Lewis' people have plausible deniability anyway.

Co-worker is claiming Sean Callahan stated the Uber driver asked to exchange insurance information with coach Williams and coach refused. Once coach refused, that's when he called LPD.

I didn't ask where Sean made this claim, if it was on the pay site or on air somewhere.

If true, he compounded a poor decision with another poor decision. Might have been able to simply exchange insurance info without LPD involvement.

So it is your opinion that grown-ass men need babysitters, and should not be responsible for their actions because they coach a sport. Or is there any other nonsense you can throw around?

It appears that they do, don't they? Is it a shame that they need this? YES. Is Coach Williams a big asset to the husker football program? YES. Do I believe in asset protection? YES. Do I believe husker football is a big fat intangible asset to the bar Barry's? Duh, of course.

Look at it like a "proud responsible guy" all you want but I live in a place called the real world and in the place I live in, irresponsible acts happens daily. Do I expect the football players to be protect each other from driving drunk? Hell yes. Do I expect fans that see our football players out drunk to make sure they don't drive? Hell yes. This is our team, so start acting like a team player. Same for coaches.

Communities of other schools make sure that their players and coaches don't drive while their out at bars. We don't, apparently. And I get it, that's the Nebraska way of life. It's called minding your own business.

And when your recruiting 5-stars, we love you. And when your coaching abilities have made the WR class the best WR class in school history, we love you. When you tweet , we love you. But don't mess up, we wont love you or help you out when you need us. Cause we are only aloud to need you for entertainment. That's BS. Help a man out when he's weak. And he's aloud to be weak from time to time.

If true, he compounded a poor decision with another poor decision. Might have been able to simply exchange insurance info without LPD involvement.

I asked him for additional details, he said he heard it on the radio station Sean is on. He didn't say Sean said it himself so I'll edit my previous post.

Co-worker is claiming whatever radio station Sean Callahan is on stated the Uber driver asked to exchange insurance information with coach Williams and coach refused. Once coach refused, that's when he called LPD.

I didn't ask where Sean made this claim, if it was on the pay site or on air somewhere.

Wouldn't any rational person fill out a police report regardless? Otherwise, it's one person's word against the other. That doesn't make any sense.

I believe that's what your co worker told you. Just don't see how that makes any sense. Or how Sean would know that.

Last edited:
It appears that they do, don't they? Is it a shame that they need this? YES. Is Coach Williams a big asset to the husker football program? YES. Do I believe in asset protection? YES. Do I believe husker football is a big fat intangible asset to the bar Barry's? Duh, of course.

Look at it like a "proud responsible guy" all you want but I live in a place called the real world and in the place I live in, irresponsible acts happens daily. Do I expect the football players to be protect each other from driving drunk? Hell yes. Do I expect fans that see our football players out drunk to make sure they don't drive? Hell yes. This is our team, so start acting like a team player. Same for coaches.

Communities of other schools make sure that their players and coaches don't drive while their out at bars. We don't, apparently. And I get it, that's the Nebraska way of life. It's called minding your own business.

And when your recruiting 5-stars, we love you. And when your coaching abilities have made the WR class the best WR class in school history, we love you. When you tweet , we love you. But don't mess up, we wont love you or help you out when you need us. Cause we are only aloud to need you for entertainment. That's BS. Help a man out when he's weak. And he's aloud to be weak from time to time.
That's your opinion. No need to be an internet tough-guy who is always picking fights

I asked him for additional details, he said he heard it on the radio station Sean is on. He didn't say Sean said it himself so I'll edit my previous post.
This kind of shoots the argument of "cover for the program at all costs" to bed.

Wouldn't any rational person fill out a police report regardless? Otherwise, it's one person's word against the other. That doesn't make any sense.

Not that I'm experienced in accidents but I don't believe police reports are necessary. There was one time I was bumped, a minor scratch on the bumper and we exchanged info. Didn't have an issue with the other driver or his insurance company. I've witnessed a couple accidents, stopped to make sure everyone was okay as a witness and one time 911 asked if anyone was hurt or in need of medical attention. Neither party had anyone requesting it and 911 said they should exchange information.

Maybe there's some police officers on here that can weigh in. I can see your point but assume, information was exchanged for a reason which doesn't benefit the one trying to snake out.

Last edited:
So it's ok for YOU and who you deem acceptable. If I wanted to "attack" someone it would be more than disagreeing with their opinion.. But somehow by your obvious grudge, you will not be able to control yourself.
Apparently I am special, being as I am the only one YOU (as a "mod") decided to single out. Hmmm... I am sure this has nothing to do with hard feelings over certain posters you are chummy with not being around anymore. At least this explains quite a bit of the past couple months here. Ok for people to make it personal (complete with actual threats) against myself, but when I respond I am the bad guy. Looks like we have it all out in the open now, huh?

If it wasn't me it would have been another mod. We all talk and we feel the same. I just had the chance to say something first. Don't act like you're a saint and this is your first run in with mods because that's false. I call others out all of the time so no you're not special.

Should the President of the United States be held to a higher standard? How about Congress, or Judges?

Luke 12:48
Comparing college coaches and college athlete to average joe's and other college students.

You go to the extreme of POTUS, Congress, etc... Maybe my 2-year old should be held to the same standard as me. Come on man, I was keeping things at least relative and in perspective with one another.

This is how you handle this if you're Riley. Tell him he has to stop drinking and if he wants to maintain his job, he will have to go to rehab and submit to testing. This is the only way to truly help him and prove that Riley is taking a hard stance. If Coach Williams will not agree, then he'll need to find another job - mid major at best. Something tells me he will agree and if he maintains sobriety, it becomes a positive second chance story.

This is of course assuming he is able to avoid serious jail time that would allow him to keep coaching

The black eye of keeping him on will hurt recruiting much worse than not having the huskers best recruiter kept on staff.
Retaining Williams won't hurt our image, recruiting or support. At least not after this year.

The only way keeping Williams would hurt us is if he screws up a 2nd time while at Nebraska.

Co-worker is claiming whatever radio station Sean Callahan is on stated the Uber driver asked to exchange insurance information with coach Williams and coach refused. Once coach refused, that's when he called LPD.

Williams needs some help and really having his world crash down on him may be the help he needs.

This many DUI offenses means he is unwilling or unable to stop drinking and does not take the no drinking and driving seriously or is unable to face his issue. Being a .15 and still walking around functioning and as was said he did not appear intoxicated at the bar is an indication he is a heavy drinker

Whatever happens I hope he gets the message and the help he needs. If not he could be facing much more serious charges in the future if he hurts someone

Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5644 3h3 hours ago

Don't ask me about Coach Williams, not my biz. We all make mistakes, forgive n don't judge. HE SHOULD NOT BE FIRED. Period.
KING.‏@Bookie_44 11h11 hours ago

KING. Retweeted

No sir. I personally started the movement myself. My reasoning is because I know the true character of that man.
1f33d.png
https://twitter.com/chris_drake/status/765020176878149632…
Jay Foreman ‏@foreman5644 3h3 hours ago

Don't ask me about Coach Williams, not my biz. We all make mistakes, forgive n don't judge. HE SHOULD NOT BE FIRED. Period.

If it wasn't me it would have been another mod. We all talk and we feel the same. I just had the chance to say something first. Don't act like you're a saint and this is your first run in with mods because that's false. I call others out all of the time so no you're not special.
That must be why you left the direct threat and personal attacks up toward me. I responded in kind after personally attacked and it was deleted. You have proven you have hurt feelings, and a grudge. If the job is too much for you, maybe you should give it up.
One would think you would have a thicker skin, or at minumum explain yourself when it went down. But you chose to hide and hope your BS was not pointed out.

Being a .15 and still walking around functioning and as was said he did not appear intoxicated at the bar is an indication he is a heavy drinker

What time was he at the bar when someone claims this? Does the person that claims it have a background in alcohol consumption to judge if someone is intoxicated or not? You can go from not looking intoxicated to intoxicated in one drink, I've witnessed it numerous times with different people. But no, I'm not an expert.

I remember years ago when coach Tenopir would come to the Shriners, go over film for an hour then get hammered for the next 3-4 hours. He's dang lucky cell phone cameras weren't around years ago. He was at least smart enough and had current players with him to take him back to Lincoln. Problem is, he wasn't that smart because the players were at the bar drinking the entire time. This isn't a justification for what coach Williams did, just sharing what's happened with former coaches at NU. I know, times have changed and regardless if it's right or wrong, I understand and get that.

This situation sucks, and I hope coach Williams gets all the help that he needs to make better decisions in his life. It doesn't mean he's a heavy drinker, or even an alcoholic.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
I don't know. It's not like this is his first DUI and it's not like he's a 20 year old with no responsibilities. If Steve Sarkisian were still at USC, I can't see anyone here saying "oh, he needs help and support, so he needs to stay on staff". Sarkisian was an embarrassment to USC and was fired. The details may be different for Sarkisian, but it's the same thing in my book.

If this was one of the players, what would/should Mike Riley do? Well, Williams is a coach, and in my eyes, should be held to a higher standard.

Not that I'm experienced in accidents but I don't believe police reports are necessary. There was one time I was bumped, a minor scratch on the bumper and we exchanged info. Didn't have an issue with the other driver or his insurance company. I've witnessed a couple accidents, stopped to make sure everyone was okay as a witness and one time 911 asked if anyone was hurt or in need of medical attention. Neither party had anyone requesting it and 911 said they should exchange information.

Maybe there's some police officers on here that can weigh in. I can see your point but assume, information was exchanged for a reason which doesn't benefit the one trying to snake out.
I got rear ended by someone last year on 10th street while trying to get out of downtown after the Iowa game. Traffic was heavy so we both kind of laughed and exchanged insurance information with no cop being called. His insurance company paid my claim without any police report needed. Now if the dude had denied that he rear ended me after the fact, then I would have been screwed. And that is the main reason for getting a police report at the scene. So it sounds as if, in this case, that the offended party was being gracious and trusting and were not going to call the cops. So if Williams refused to exchange info then he was being an idiot.

I got rear ended by someone last year on 10th street while trying to get out of downtown after the Iowa game. Traffic was heavy so we both kind of laughed and exchanged insurance information with no cop being called. His insurance company paid my claim without any police report needed. Now if the dude had denied that he rear ended me after the fact, then I would have been screwed. And that is the main reason for getting a police report at the scene. So it sounds as if, in this case, that the offended party was being gracious and trusting and were not going to call the cops. So if Williams refused to exchange info then he was being an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Per LJS

"The driver Williams hit initially just wanted to exchange information, but she called police when she asked Williams who his car insurance was through and he told her "Blue Cross Blue Shield," according to a probable cause affidavit for his arrest."

Obviously, he was pretty drunk as he was giving her his health insurance information

That must be why you left the direct threat and personal attacks up toward me. I responded in kind after personally attacked and it was deleted. You have proven you have hurt feelings, and a grudge. If the job is too much for you, maybe you should give it up.
One would think you would have a thicker skin, or at minumum explain yourself when it went down. But you chose to hide and hope your BS was not pointed out.

They bully playing the victim. Classic. Honestly I haven't read through this thread completely but there have posts by you attacking others that have been left up in many threads over the years. Randy was in this thread before me and if something needed deleted it have full confidence he would have deleted it. Just face it. You are an abrasive poster who can't take what they dish out. I have nothing personal against you, all I'm saying is you have a pattern.

Reactions: wkato
They bully playing the victim. Classic. Honestly I haven't read through this thread completely but there have posts by you attacking others that have been left up in many threads over the years. Randy was in this thread before me and if something needed deleted it have full confidence he would have deleted it. Just face it. You are an abrasive poster who can't take what they dish out. I have nothing personal against you, all I'm saying is you have a pattern.

The funniest part of all of this is that you can't own anything. The next best part is your buddy attacked me for DEFENDING the program from an idiot crapping on a new Husker recruit.

Now that my opinion is once again different than yours, you get offended again, and make your grudge and vendetta more than apparent. So I'm an abrasive poster, call the interwebs cops!!!

Also, I am not referring to this thread. You know damn well I was referring to your funny buddy's threats being left up after you deleted my response. That all happened after he chose to bring my family into things. You were too chicken to explain yourself like a mod does. You also left him to post and continue making threats. And remember, this was after I had the gall to defend a new recruit. You and your funny buddy couldn't see it for what it was, and let your hurt feelings from the past come out.

Are you going to he capable of letting your agenda go and seeing things for what they are going forward? Just would like to know.

The funniest part of all of this is that you can't own anything. The next best part is your buddy attacked me for DEFENDING the program from an idiot crapping on a new Husker recruit.

Now that my opinion is once again different than yours, you get offended again, and make your grudge and vendetta more than apparent. So I'm an abrasive poster, call the interwebs cops!!!

Also, I am not referring to this thread. You know damn well I was referring to your funny buddy's threats being left up after you deleted my response. That all happened after he chose to bring my family into things. You were too chicken to explain yourself like a mod does. You also left him to post and continue making threats. And remember, this was after I had the gall to defend a new recruit. You and your funny buddy couldn't see it for what it was, and let your hurt feelings from the past come out.

Are you going to he capable of letting your agenda go and seeing things for what they are going forward? Just would like to know.

No idea what you're talking about, or who my "buddy" is. I cant remember deleting a single post of yours the entire time I've been a mod so you must have me confused. Might want to take the foil hat off and get this thread back on topic.

Someone deleted my response to the above. Nowhere did I break a rule or call anyone a name. I asked both of you to stop so someone deletes my post requesting the thread to get back on topic?

Listen as a third party observer here, I would just like to remind ever one its an internet message board about college sports. If you have to get this worked up about something, its time to just slide back from the computer and walk away for a while.

There is more to life than this board. You can come back at me abrasively if it makes you feel better, but I come from good intention and with no ill will towards you. I enjoy your posting, but it seems like you are to close to see things objectively.

Peace.

Reactions: GBRhuskers
This is about return on investment. The kids will stick by Williams as long as he can come to them and humble himself in an authentic manner by admitting to his mistakes and apologizing for how his actions affected them.

If I'm his HC or AD, I let him know that he's all done owning a car if he wants to work for me. From now on he has a driver, because we can afford it.

Then he needs to do what is required of him to make things right just like any of the players would be when they run afoul of laws or team rules. If he does those things, the players will embrace and respect him. As you may have seen, many on Twitter already are rallying behind him.

We can reasonably assume with it being his third arrest that there have been many times he drove impaired and didn't get caught. So let's not act like this isn't a problem for which Keith needs to get help. He does.

Hopefully he is ready to admit and accept that, but we can't know. I can't know if I want to see him embraced and helped out of my selfish interest in NU's success or not. But he will need to be embraced and helped.

Now that we've laid all that out, let's admit something else. Williams is much harder to replace than a lot of other coaches. He's a proven position coach and a hot recruiter. Sometimes when people are high-performing talent, you absorb a little more BS because the positives that they give you far outweigh the drawbacks or risks.

I don't believe that I'm "desperate to a find a connection with the two" incidents. I deal in this type of work and understand that accident A and B are likely not at all related legally or factually. Yet, that does not mean driver B's employer is not put in a more difficult spot by public pressure and sentiment, at least some of which is stemmed from the very recent, tragic, publicly felt sting of accident A.

We can disagree about whether that is fair or appropriate. I believe most would probably say that it's not. But the reality is what it is.
It's not the reality. You are literally the only person I have seen trying to connect the two. I searched every possible article, blog post, message board thread I could find. Nowhere else does anybody even mention what happened 3 weeks ago in connection with this incident. Don't you think if that was significant you would find somebody else mentioning it? Something appended to the end of an article like "this comes 3 weeks after another incident with a car that killed a member of the Husker football team". But it's not there. Why? Because there is no connection with the two. It cheapens and lessens the impact of what happened 3 weeks ago to try to connect the two in any way.

Per LJS

"The driver Williams hit initially just wanted to exchange information, but she called police when she asked Williams who his car insurance was through and he told her "Blue Cross Blue Shield," according to a probable cause affidavit for his arrest."

Obviously, he was pretty drunk as he was giving her his health insurance information

That's interesting to know, thanks for sharing. So what was said on the radio today is either wrong or someone isn't telling the same story twice.

A disease for being stupid? I get drunk every once in a while on a Saturday and have probably made stupid decisions but I'm pretty sure I don't have a disease or addiction.

And that's good for you, but there are people whose brains are wired differently who can get physically addicted to alcohol. To be so dismissive of someone with a problem is neither helpful nor contributing.

What did that Chris Drake say?

Says tweet is unavailable and the Twitter account holders tweet's are protected.
I saw it last night-he claimed that it was Nebraska fans starting the #FreeDub movement, which then prompted the response seen above.

Reactions: HuskerO
And that's good for you, but there are people whose brains are wired differently who can get physically addicted to alcohol. To be so dismissive of someone with a problem is neither helpful nor contributing.

Quickly assuming Williams has an alcohol problem without knowing him seems like an extreme assumption.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT