ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

The best thing we as fans can do is let it all play out. I know people feel a need to know right now what kind of an effect it will have on recruits, etc., but we don't know at this point. Obviously the situation is not good, but just let the situation play itself out before we decide how it's going to affect the team in the long term.

I'm just saying, in my opinion, that 3 DUI's in 2 years is not the same as 3 DUI's in 20 years (for example).

I still think a key question is did we know he had two priors. If we did wasn't some sort of testing or monitoring called for?

Reactions: HuskerO
The best thing we as fans can do is let it all play out. I know people feel a need to know right now what kind of an effect it will have on recruits, etc., but we don't know at this point. Obviously the situation is not good, but just let the situation play itself out before we decide how it's going to affect the team in the long term.

That's asking humans not to behave human.

The question is whether he was under some type of agreement with NU Athletics concerning his drinking behavior. Twice the legal limit, accident, 3rd offense. I am assuming the other two occurred elsewhere. If he is allowed to continue on staff, I would think discontinuing drinking and alcohol counseling is most certainly a must.

Wow. I have a friend who's an alcoholic and has multiple DUIs. It's tough. 3 DUIs in this day and age could result in a multi-year prison sentence. Whether or not he keeps his job is an interesting question for this bulletin board, but for KW, the bigger question may be how much time he'll have to serve. Of course, he has money and will have good legal representation, but still, 3 DUIs is the point where prosecutors and judges start their offers at 5 years and up depending on circumstances. If he gets a couple of years, he may count himself LUCKY. If he somehow avoids actual prison, it'll be state mandated rehab facilities for 6 months or so. (All this assumes he's actually guilty and the reporting of his past DUIs are actually accurate.) Hope he pulls himself together. This is a critical point in his whole life. This may be the point where he checks himself into rehab in order to get his life together and to convince a judge he's serious about changing.

Reporting that he's still in jail until court date tomorrow. Not confirmed yet, but saying 2004, 2006, and 2008. That would make this his 4th...

Dude had Joseph Lewis in town and he's sitting jail. SMH.

Reactions: jeans15
Wow. I have a friend who's an alcoholic and has multiple DUIs. It's tough. 3 DUIs in this day and age could result in a multi-year prison sentence. Whether or not he keeps his job is an interesting question for this bulletin board, but for KW, the bigger question may be how much time he'll have to serve. Of course, he has money and will have good legal representation, but still, 3 DUIs is the point where prosecutors and judges start their offers at 5 years and up depending on circumstances. If he gets a couple of years, he may count himself LUCKY. If he somehow avoids actual prison, it'll be state mandated rehab facilities for 6 months or so. (All this assumes he's actually guilty and the reporting of his past DUIs are actually accurate.) Hope he pulls himself together. This is a critical point in his whole life. This may be the point where he checks himself into rehab in order to get his life together and to convince a judge he's serious about changing.
The time frame matters in which jurisdiction you're in. Nebraska may not even consider previous DUIs in other jurisdictions and in some states they start the count over after a certain number of years. DUI laws vary greatly from state to state. I am relatively certain that there is a policy in place that will be followed. We'll see shortly. It kind of amazes me that this doesn't happen more often.

3rd dui and this one with an accident, at the felony level? Bye bye. Nice knowing ya.

Reporting that he's still in jail until court date tomorrow. Not confirmed yet, but saying 2004, 2006, and 2008. That would make this his 4th...

Dude had Joseph Lewis in town and he's sitting jail. SMH.
I think it said it was his 4th citation since that time. It didn't say it was his fourth citation for DUI. The other could have been a speeding ticket for all we know.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

(nature not specified)

Four citations but for what? Three DUIs and one speeding?

3rd dui and this one with an accident, at the felony level? Bye bye. Nice knowing ya.
I think this probably nails it. My strong suspicion is that we all need to start getting used to the idea that he is gone. Anything else is wishful thinking. And then Riley needs to move fast to find a great replacement in order to salvage recruiting.

As of 2012
Third Offense - § 28-106 & 60-6,197.03 (4) Maximum: 1 year in jail 15 years license revocation $1,000 fine Mandatory Minimum: 90 days in jail 15 years license revocation $1,000 fine If Probation: 30 days in jail 2 – 15 years license revocation $1,000 fine The court

I wouldn't be surprised if he is let go. No inside knowledge (no way of telling anyway as it's too soon), but I'm just preparing myself for KW to be let go.

If he's allowed to stay and hopefully he is (as long as he gets / accepts the help needed) then I'd be surprised if we lost any current commits, but it may hurt us with any future commits.

If he gets let go then the odds of us losing current and future commits increases.

I am sure other schools have already reached out to our current wide receiver commits. Recruiting in 2016 isn't for the faint of heart.

As of 2012
Third Offense - § 28-106 & 60-6,197.03 (4) Maximum: 1 year in jail 15 years license revocation $1,000 fine Mandatory Minimum: 90 days in jail 15 years license revocation $1,000 fine If Probation: 30 days in jail 2 – 15 years license revocation $1,000 fine The court
That still doesn't spell out if Nebraska considers DUIs from other jurisdictions.

That still doesn't spell out if Nebraska considers DUIs from other jurisdictions.

But it would show worst case right if you assumed they were? I can't imagine NE would consider it worse to have 2 elsewhere and only one in NE so still relevant.

Would just like to correct my earlier post.... .15 is aggravated level, not felony.

But it would show worst case right if you assumed they were? I can't imagine NE would consider it worse to have 2 elsewhere and only one in NE so still relevant.

Regardless of what the law states in Nebraska concerning the other DUIs in different states...everyone NOW knows that this isn't his first offense and the university may be forced to make a tough decision in the name of public perception.

Regardless of what the law is in Nebraska concerning the other DUIs in different states...everyone NOW knows that this isn't his first offense and the university may be forced to make a tough decision in the name of public perception.
Not a tough decision. You don't cover for people like that. It gets you nowhere. We put up with that from the last staff with more than their share of losers.

Not a tough decision. You don't cover for people like that. It gets you nowhere. We put up with that from the last staff with more than their share of losers.

The more I think about it he will be let go. They can't risk a 4th offense.

ADVERTISEMENT