ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

Since he has two prior dui convictions -- which suggest he has huge alcohol problems or has been exceptionally unlucky -- doesn't it seem more likely than not that he was hired with a third strike and you are gone provision? So for those many of you advocating that he be retained with the condition that it not happen again, I would tend to think that opportunity is gone. Of course, given the desperate state of our football program and his exceptional recruiting ability, nothing would surprise me. And of course, he has pled not guilty so we can always hope it's just a police screw up.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Since he has two prior dui convictions -- which suggest he has huge alcohol problems or has been exceptionally unlucky -- doesn't it seem more likely than not that he was hired with a third strike and you are gone provision? So for those many of you advocating that he be retained with the condition that it not happen again, I would tend to think that opportunity is gone. Of course, given the desperate state of our football program and his exceptional recruiting ability, nothing would surprise me. And of course, he has pled not guilty so we can always hope it's just a police screw up.
According to MR, he was cleared through the University background check as a normal applicant, so it is very unlikely that he had a third strike and you're out. In addition, MR's comments have been that the consequences are being considered (by various AD and University officials), and there would be no reason to consider consequences if he was going to be automatically dismissed. I think that MR would like to find a way to keep him, but the ultimate decision is not his to make.

as long as we win every game this year, there should be no reason for willaims to drink.

which suggest he has huge alcohol problems

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Using the above philosophy, only alcoholics get caught. There's many people; including a good friend of mine we've unsuccessfully tried helping, that are alcoholics and never got behind a wheel when consuming alcohol, even a single drink. He refuses to D&D.

It's debatable if he's an alcoholic or not. In my opinion, it's not debatable he has a history of poor decision making when drinking. That doesn't make him an alcoholic though. None of us know one way or another, at this time.

Using the above philosophy, only alcoholics get caught. There's many people; including a good friend of mine we've unsuccessfully tried helping, that are alcoholics and never got behind a wheel when consuming alcohol, even a single drink. He refuses to D&D.

It's debatable if he's an alcoholic or not. In my opinion, it's not debatable he has a history of poor decision making when drinking. That doesn't make him an alcoholic though. None of us know one way or another, at this time.

Well stated.

Reactions: leodisflowers
According to MR, he was cleared through the University background check as a normal applicant, so it is very unlikely that he had a third strike and you're out. In addition, MR's comments have been that the consequences are being considered (by various AD and University officials), and there would be no reason to consider consequences if he was going to be automatically dismissed. I think that MR would like to find a way to keep him, but the ultimate decision is not his to make.
"This is a most, most, most serious situation" said Riley today. He probably wants to find a way to keep him, but this doesn't sound too good. I would also agree with you that the University is likely going to take this decision out of Mike's hands.

I agree with your sentiment up to a point. KW clearly has problems with alcohol if he can't make better choices while consuming it, regardless of whether he has dependency on alcohol or not. In the broadest definition of the term, that constitutes alcoholism.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Thanks for this. If this is true (and I hope it is and suspect it is) then my nephew was wrong. He is a decent and honest kid though, which is why I trusted his information. It is possible that he misinterpreted a joke or something Williams may have made. Williams was drinking after all and may have said things in jest. I don't know. But I will talk to my nephew later today and ask him a few pointed questions. Ha

But just to set the record straight, my nephew was not "hanging around campus after he graduated". He lives downtown because his job is there. He is a responsible kid and although he likes to drink he is rarely, if ever, "stand up drunk". I have no issue whatsoever with you calling his information into question. In fact, I am glad you did. It is damn good news. But he isn't some drunken frat boy who can't let go of his college days and is now prowling campus bars getting drunk and fabricating stories to make himself look big. As I said, that is why I trusted his info. I know the info is potentially inflammatory and if I thought for a nanosecond that my nephew was just a drinken kid I would never have shared it here

Yah, I just elaborated on the general idea that "eyewitness reports are often the most incorrect".

I'm sure he's all kind of awesome.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yah, I just elaborated on the general idea that "eyewitness reports are often the most incorrect".
I'm sure he's all kind of awesome.
Ha. That last line made me laugh out loud. And I agree about eye witness accounts. Especially in bars. I probably should not have posted it.

"This is a most, most, most serious situation" said Riley today. He probably wants to find a way to keep him, but this doesn't sound too good. I would also agree with you that the University is likely going to take this decision out of Mike's hands.
It was made clear the other day that decision on his future will be made as a team-in other words, Riley is involved. I keep hearing this line repeated that the decision will be taken out of Riley's hands, as if he has no input at all, and that is not what has been stated. It seems to me that indications are much stronger that he will be kept than that he won't.

It was made clear the other day that decision on his future will be made as a team-in other words, Riley is involved. I keep hearing this line repeated that the decision will be taken out of Riley's hands, as if he has no input at all, and that is not what has been stated. It seems to me that indications are much stronger that he will be kept than that he won't.
I agree. But what I think most people seem to be saying is that Riley's role here is consultative and that the final decision will be made by his bosses, not Riley

Here is what was reported on the situation this morning:
"Nebraska coach Mike Riley said Wednesday he's still conducting conversations with the necessary parties involved and exploring his options as it pertains to receivers coach Keith Williams."

To me that says that MR is trying to get consensus on a plan, and that approval of certain parties to that plan is required. I'm sure that he has input on the options being considered, but the final decision will be made by SE and/or the University.

When this came out, I didn't think he had a chance to keep his job. When the charges got dropped from felony to misdemeanor, I think that made it a lot easier for Nebraska to keep him if they choose to do so.

Having lived through, and fully embraced all the 70's era had to offer, I was exposed to, and partook of heavy drinking for a time. Some of us changed our ways and are doing OK, some others kept it up and are having problems now, and some didn't change and are dead. One thing I learned through it all is classifying someone as an "alcoholic" is difficult and sometimes unfair. I never use the "A word", but rather think more along the lines that "there are as many different kinds of drunks as there are drunks."

That is hysterical since that is exactly what I told him on the phone. Lol. His response? "You know there is a thingy called Uber".

This I know jlb was kidding, but that was a point that tipped me off as to the "correctness" of supposed situation as described to you.

If a bunch of football players were in a bar with KW, and KW had obviously thrown down a quite a few, to quote BC, we do have the dumbest football players in America if they let one of the star coaches out of that bar and into a vehicle.

Most folks who party in college are reasonable enough to keep their friends safe, and most folks don't have the general idea of the microscope and public backlash that these football players know all their actions can have. They would have to be painfully aware that KW drunk in a car, is not doing them or the team any favors.

I don't think people need to fret a whole heck of a lot. Nebraska is kinda goody two shoes, but all the way to the Regents, they know where the bread is buttered. Nebraska's bias towards football will probably go a long way towards giving KW every benefit of the doubt, even amongst SE and the general administration.

This I know jlb was kidding, but that was a point that tipped me off as to the "correctness" of supposed situation as described to you.

If a bunch of football players were in a bar with KW, and KW had obviously thrown down a quite a few, to quote BC, we do have the dumbest football players in America if they let one of the star coaches out of that bar and into a vehicle.

Most folks who party in college are reasonable enough to keep their friends safe, and most folks don't have the general idea of the microscope and public backlash that these football players know all their actions can have. They would have to be painfully aware that KW drunk in a car, is not doing them or the team any favors.
Well, in defense of my nephew's account of events, he did say that the players left Barry's long before Williams. So at that point he may not have been drunk. Also, we do not know if this is a habit of Williams or not. Maybe the players were not on full alert because they have rarely seen Williams drunk, if ever. Your post presumes he sort of does this habitually so the players would have been on full alert. But maybe this was an anomaly.

Nevertheless, as I said before, my nephew's account of what Williams said later has been seriously undermined by the evidence you presented. Therefore, it is legit to wonder about the rest of his narrative too. He is a good kid and I trust him. But even good kids can fabricate or inflate narratives.

The information I shared was inflammatory and I should not have posted it without some kind of corroboration. I apologize for that. I have deleted my original posts and would encourage others to delete any posts where my original post is block quoted.

Thanks

Last edited:
Nevertheless, as I said before, my nephew's account of what Williams said later has been seriously undermined by the evidence you presented. Therefore, it is legit to wonder about the rest of his narrative too. He is a good kid and I trust him. But even good kids can fabricate or inflate narratives.

If your nephew's account is wrong then either he played you or Williams played him.

Thinking this through, would your nephew have pranked you with a story replete with details and hewing to a common line of recruiting cheating? Would he do that? Is that in his nature? And why would he do it? Just to set you up and watch it play out on the internet?

Quite frankly, your nephew's story sounds reasonable. If fabricated, it's flat out a lie. Your account of nephew's character doesn't fit the fabrication angle. It's easier to believe his telling than to believe it's a lie.

The inflation angle doesn't work very well either. The story is too simple to inflate. At the story's core is the quote, "Nearly zero." It's pretty hard to inflate, say, "50-50" to "Nearly zero". No, that would be a lie - see paragraph above.

Absent better knowledge, I'd take nephew off the hook.

Did KW play him? Who knows?

If your nephew's account is wrong then either he played you or Williams played him.

Thinking this through, would your nephew have pranked you with a story replete with details and hewing to a common line of recruiting cheating? Would he do that? Is that in his nature? And why would he do it? Just to set you up and watch it play out on the internet?

Quite frankly, your nephew's story sounds reasonable. If fabricated, it's flat out a lie. Your account of nephew's character doesn't fit the fabrication angle. It's easier to believe his telling than to believe it's a lie.

The inflation angle doesn't work very well either. The story is too simple to inflate. At the story's core is the quote, "Nearly zero." It's pretty hard to inflate, say, "50-50" to "Nearly zero". No, that would be a lie - see paragraph above.

Absent better knowledge, I'd take nephew off the hook.

Did KW play him? Who knows?
It is totally out of his character to lie or to inflate. Just a very down to earth kid with whom I have a very good relationship. And you are correct that the narrative does not sound inflated. If it were inflated he probably would have said "yeah man, Williams was totally shit faced and we did shots with him all night". And even what Williams allegedly told them was very circumspect. So yeah, I have seriously considered the "Williams was having some fun yanking their chain while tipsy" angle on this.

However, the account is still accusatory toward a certain young man and that accusation is serious and inflammatory. So without further confirmation I think it best to drop it and move on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT