ADVERTISEMENT

Can Nelson play end in a 3-3-5?

Just because a coach ran a 3-3-5 before he came to Nebraska doesn't mean it will be ran exclusively at Nebraska. I think people should try and remember we had a previous coach who tried to do something that wouldn't work in the BIG and he failed miserably.

We'll find out soon enough what the offensive and defensive schemes will be soon enough in 2023. Rhule is not the fool some try and make him out to be.

Just because a coach ran a 3-3-5 before he came to Nebraska doesn't mean it will be ran exclusively at Nebraska. I think people should try and remember we had a previous coach who tried to do something that wouldn't work in the BIG and he failed miserably.

We'll find out soon enough what the offensive and defensive schemes will be soon enough in 2023. Rhule is not the fool some try and make him out to be.
Hiring Chip Kelly to run something other than his spread is a recipe for failure. White has run nothing but 3-3-5 his whole coaching career. Why do want to hire someone to do something he has never done. There are plenty of other DCs that run a 4-3 or 3-4 that would have taken the job.

Hiring Chip Kelly to run something other than his spread is a recipe for failure. White has run nothing but 3-3-5 his whole coaching career. Why do want to hire someone to do something he has never done. There are plenty of other DCs that run a 4-3 or 3-4 that would have taken the job.
Maybe the big ten will have to adjust to us?

We'll see soon enough what exactly works and doesn't work won't we.

We'll see soon enough what exactly works and doesn't work won't we.
Not about what is working. That isn’t the point. If you didn’t want to run a base 3-3-5 don’t hire a 3-3-5 coach. All that does is make the transition slower. Now you have to teach the DC the defense you want to run before the DC can install the defense.

Not about what is working. That isn’t the point. If you didn’t want to run a base 3-3-5 don’t hire a 3-3-5 coach. All that does is make the transition slower. Now you have to teach the DC the defense you want to run before the DC can install the defense.
Again we'll see what Rhule wants and he does have the final say. I'm not saying Nebraska won't run the 3-3-5, all I'm saying is it most likely won't be run exclusively like I said in my original post.

Reactions: baseball31ne
The one constant I hear when people describe it is that it’s very adaptable. I take that to mean it’s adaptable to not only the offenses it faces but also the talent available. I’ve heard one podcast say how normally one of the OLBs is a bigger pash rusher who can move from side to side and at times drop in coverage. That might work for Nelson. It’s going to be fun to watch how this thing is deployed. If had to bet money though I think he’ll add some weight and play DE.

Reactions: BleedRed78
My only concern is some of the top heavy running teams in the conference (west).. With USC and UCLA coming into the conference in 2 years this makes perfect sense..

It's like when Pete Carril used to coach Princeton basketball before the shot clock. Run those cutters, run those cutters again, and run that cutter for a backdoor layup.

Used to drive teams crazy, but man, was it effective and Carril wasn't gonna change. They beat teams they had no business beating.

You wouldn't have hired Carril to come in and install a run and gun offense.

Man, just don't understand all this angst. Most of us couldn't spell 3-3-5 a week ago and now everyone is an expert :p It is all about the players they have or are going for and the best way to utilize them.

Last edited:
Possibly bulking up and converting Buddha Wright, Singleton or Farmer to LB would be beneficial. Those are big hybrids that would add more speed on the field. Nelson needs his hand in the dirt, I don't want to see him in space.

What % of time will the 3-3-5 in the Syracuse be the base that they line up in?

How often will the slide into other looks? Based on NU personnel? Based on the opponent?

Really want to see the spring game and and hear the coach discuss and explore how he wants to implement it here. Hear how the players learning it are processing it and absorbing it.

A 3-3-5 looks to be able to have more layers of adjustments and flexibility to it. The install process will be key, hope the players will really find ways to dig and ask questions to speed up the learning curve.

Man, just don't understand all this angst. Most of us couldn't spell 3-3-5 a week ago and now everyone is an expert :p It is all about the players they have or are going for and the best way to utilize them.
The 3-3-5 will do well against Colorado’s offense. Should limit Shadeur and take away some of their playmakers. It will be interesting to see how Deion adjusts at halftime.

@Tuco Salamanca is right on both counts

1 - only a true moron would hire somebody to not do what made them successful in the first place

2 - personnel will dictate the front, and it’ll be based on the offense’s groupings. You will be able to count on one hand the times we line up in a traditional 3-3-5 because there will always be a strong side

To add, I wouldn’t be too concerned with the D being all that different from what Busch was running the back half of the season, especially against limited passers (95% of the B1G)

Press coverage, 8+ in the box, bring the heat basically every play

We play in the easiest conference in the country to defend & it just got easier with Brohm leaving.

There is a great video out there that talks about how he used undersized fast guys to make it successful. It can work, because there is proof, but can we get enough of those type of guys to make it work, or will it be more traditional guys with a couple of tweeners..

it's the same thing as Bo having a peso player, a way to move another guy into the backfield or into the box depending on what look you're getting.

The part that had me a little concerned was the personnel type.. if you're going undersize and speed, I'm concerned that 1, we would be able to recruit enough of those guys, and 2) the wear of this conference and desire to run the ball.

If you're going with more natural players on the line, with a few tweeners, then I think it's workable... but a bunch of fast light guys isn't going to cut it in our league in my opinion.

Reactions: king_kong_
There is a great video out there that talks about how he used undersized fast guys to make it successful. It can work, because there is proof, but can we get enough of those type of guys to make it work, or will it be more traditional guys with a couple of tweeners..

it's the same thing as Bo having a peso player, a way to move another guy into the backfield or into the box depending on what look you're getting.

The part that had me a little concerned was the personnel type.. if you're going undersize and speed, I'm concerned that 1, we would be able to recruit enough of those guys, and 2) the wear of this conference and desire to run the ball.

If you're going with more natural players on the line, with a few tweeners, then I think it's workable... but a bunch of fast light guys isn't going to cut it in our league in my opinion.

Good post. I think the hand wringing over stopping the run of the Iowa’s of the world is also a little misplaced. Rocky Long, White’s mentor, had some stout run defenses over the years using this.

The spring game is 4 months away but should be very interesting to watch.

An offense trying to install a new system, a defense trying to install a new system.

Has all the ingredients for the game worth watching.

I'll be interested to see what type of personnel changes they have made compared to where some of them may have played in the previous year(s).

The spring game is 4 months away but should be very interesting to watch.

An offense trying to install a new system, a defense trying to install a new system.

Has all the ingredients for the game worth watching.

I'll be interested to see what type of personnel changes they have made compared to where some of them may have played in the previous year(s).
I want a full contact, get f*ck after it spring game. Guessing there will be 90k there. Ones vs ones.

Any reasonable scheme is going to look like shit until you have players

White and the 3-3-5 are going to take a lot of heat for a couple years

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT