ADVERTISEMENT

brutal 'brasketball.....

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
...I don't believe I have ever called for a coaches head, but I'm ready now.....

...I don't believe I have ever called for a coaches head, but I'm ready now.....
So its the coach's fault that an 80% free throw shooter goes 1/6 from the line and that we start the game 2/13 from 3? These kids are pressing and I don't know how the coach can stop that. People wanted Morrow to get the ball inside. The little I watched of the game we would throw the ball inside and he would start dribbling, ignore the triple team and get stripped. We HAVE to be able to shoot the ball from outside or we won't win no matter what the coach does or who the coach is. Period.

I have been a Miles supporter but I've finally had enough. We are consistently bad shooters and his offense has been plagued by long scoring droughts for his entire tenure. He said it himself, the guys don't have the right mental approach -and that too is on him. Just like Doc, he's a good guy but this just isn't going to work.
NU should actually be a pretty attractive job for someone. A lot of resources to pay a good salary, strong fan support, the best facilities in the country, a great conference and fairly low expectations. Yes it comes with some challenges as well. Hell if you can manage to win 1 NCAA tourney game you'd be considered the best coach in our history.

Nebraska does not have the best facilities in the country. They have really nice facilities. But there are several schools that have much better facilities than Nebraska.

Here's just one example (Kentucky has something similar with their Taj Mahal). A dedicated, state-of-the-art residence hall just for basketball players...includes it's own gym...barbershop...and more.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...asketball-photos-videos/article104314006.html

Nebraska does not have the best facilities in the country. They have really nice facilities. But there are several schools that have much better facilities than Nebraska.

Here's just one example (Kentucky has something similar with their Taj Mahal). A dedicated, state-of-the-art residence hall just for basketball players...includes it's own gym...barbershop...and more.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/co...asketball-photos-videos/article104314006.html

If it wasn't for Nebraska's facilities...they would be a top 5 program. That makes perfect sense. Winking

To me it is not the players, it is the offensive scheme. Miles' offense for years has shown that we have to work so damn hard to get buckets. I watched Oral Roberts last night do a much better job of moving without the ball and getting good shots than what I've seen out of Nebraska the last 3 years.

At some point you have to start asking WHY does this team shoot poorly consistently?

To me it is not the players, it is the offensive scheme. Miles' offense for years has shown that we have to work so damn hard to get buckets. I watched Oral Roberts last night do a much better job of moving without the ball and getting good shots than what I've seen out of Nebraska the last 3 years.

At some point you have to start asking WHY does this team shoot poorly consistently?
I have asked that question. I think it's psychological. I think they're pressing big time. Part of it is that our big men are limited in their game. Morrow is really good around the hoop but needs work on his jumper and putting the ball on the floor. Thsimanga is getting better IMO, but kind of has the same issues. When you don't have a reliable inside game it puts more pressure on your perimeter shooting and vice versa. We missed a ton of open shots that I saw and I didn't even watch the whole game. Shoot the free throw shooting alone would have won us the game if we could have made them.

Perspective, perspective, perspective.

If anything that's what this game did for me today. Finally got me out of my VB hangover from the loss Thursday and a reminder that even if you get to a championship round and lose, it's always better than losing to Gardner-Webb. NU can never lose to Gardner-Webb in basketball.

Perspective. It can always be worse so be grateful for what you have.

Oh and Miles has got to go. Effective immediately.

I have asked that question. I think it's psychological. I think they're pressing big time. Part of it is that our big men are limited in their game. Morrow is really good around the hoop but needs work on his jumper and putting the ball on the floor. Thsimanga is getting better IMO, but kind of has the same issues. When you don't have a reliable inside game it puts more pressure on your perimeter shooting and vice versa. We missed a ton of open shots that I saw and I didn't even watch the whole game. Shoot the free throw shooting alone would have won us the game if we could have made them.

Maybe it is a lack of confidence by the players in the offensive scheme which 4.5 seasons of poor shooting caused numerous players to leave the program?

Maybe it is a lack of confidence by the players in the offensive scheme which 4.5 seasons of poor shooting caused numerous players to leave the program?
Hmmmm "poor scheme" causes guys to miss wide open 3s and FREE THROWS......alrighty then.

Yep, agree 100%. They don't get any easy baskets so you have to be basically perfect defensively to compensate for it.

I always say watch the best college or NBA teams and see how many easy baskets in a game they get compared to the average to below average college or NBA teams. It's usually a sizeable difference and often can be the difference between winning and losing.

Reactions: newAD
Yep, agree 100%. They don't get any easy baskets so you have to be basically perfect defensively to compensate for it.

I always say watch the best college or NBA teams and see how many easy baskets in a game they get compared to the average to below average college or NBA teams. It's usually a sizeable difference and often can be the difference between winning and losing.

And when you can't do squat in half court, it puts an unbelievable amout of pressure to hit those 3s, vs hitting 3s in the flow of the offense.

Relax. It's December.

Until Nebraska is a better program than Creighton....This is what you are going to get.

When the players don't have confidence in what they are doing offensively........

Explain to me why the best player on the team didn't start today?
Why you tell me why "our best player" didn't start? I heard it suggested it was disciplinary but I have no idea. Late for practice? Late for a team meeting? Who knows. Really doesn't matter who starts. He played his minutes. Unfortunately he didn't take nearly enough shots for my liking.

I really, really like Miles - but we seem to be entering Year 3 on the trip to nowhere. And today's loss just "feels" like the one that might have resulted in SE picking up the phone tonight (kicking tires). Might this have been Miles' "tipping point?"

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Why you tell me why "our best player" didn't start? I heard it suggested it was disciplinary but I have no idea. Late for practice? Late for a team meeting? Who knows. Really doesn't matter who starts. He played his minutes. Unfortunately he didn't take nearly enough shots for my liking.

Well, my fear is he will be the next guy who says to himself that this ain't working, and decides to bolt.

You want him to shoot more? He didn't start, and he took the 2nd most shots. He's supposed to be playing the 1. He's supposed to penetrate and distribute the ball. With how dynamic of a player he is, he should be able to do what a good 1 does and make others better. Where the hell is the movement for him? Where are the open guys to pass to? If this season is going to be all about Watson isos and drives we are in deep $#@!.

This offense puts so much pressure on our guards to score and carry the load and other teams know it, and I'm pretty sure Watson and Webster do too.

It's going to be a long year because teams will continue to zone us to try to take away the drive and will willingly give up the outside. We have shown no ability to counter the zone, and that puts a ton of pressure on the shooters. These problems are a scheme problem

Hmmmm "poor scheme" causes guys to miss wide open 3s and FREE THROWS......alrighty then.
I don't care how many 4* kids this guy brings in, he better start indentifying players that can actually put the ball in the basket! It is his responsibility to recruit good players, implement a system that maximizes their potential and creates opportunities to score, and to instill the mental toughness needed to be a successful D1 basketball program. All these things are lacking and yes after several years of this crap, it falls squarely on Tim's shoulders. I like the guy but it's time to put up or shut up! His time is running out.

A couple more thoughts.

So far this season Nebraska is shooting 41% from the field and 29% from "3".

A team that has played the toughest schedule in America shouldn't be lacking confidence going into a game against Gardner-Webb.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Looks like we weren't the only Big Ten team with a brutal loss today. Michigan State lost to a school called "Northeastern".

Reactions: dinglefritz
[QUOTE="Husker Sledge, post: 3168488, member: 28656"]I don't care how many 4* kids this guy brings in, he better start indentifying players that can actually put the ball in the basket! It is his responsibility to recruit good players, implement a system that maximizes their potential and creates opportunities to score, and to instill the mental toughness needed to be a successful D1 basketball program. All these things are lacking and yes after several years of this crap, it falls squarely on Tim's shoulders. I like the guy but it's time to put up or shut up! His time is running out.[/QUOTE]
You better care about how many 4 star guys he brings in because that's the only way NU will ever get competitive in the B1G.

A couple more thoughts.

So far this season Nebraska is shooting 41% from the field and 29% from "3".

A team that has played the toughest schedule in America shouldn't be lacking confidence going into a game against Gardner-Webb.
And we shot 30% from the field and 17% from 3 today. We had a terrible day shooting the ball and the f...ing mob is out with their pitchforks and rope. I'm done. I've got business tax planning to do tonight.

[QUOTE="Husker Sledge, post: 3168488, member: 28656"]I don't care how many 4* kids this guy brings in, he better start indentifying players that can actually put the ball in the basket! It is his responsibility to recruit good players, implement a system that maximizes their potential and creates opportunities to score, and to instill the mental toughness needed to be a successful D1 basketball program. All these things are lacking and yes after several years of this crap, it falls squarely on Tim's shoulders. I like the guy but it's time to put up or shut up! His time is running out.
You better care about how many 4 star guys he brings in because that's the only way NU will ever get competitive in the B1G.[/QUOTE]
Hey don't get me wrong, I'd take 4* players that can actually shoot the pumpkin through a round cylinder!

l
You better care about how many 4 star guys he brings in because that's the only way NU will ever get competitive in the B1G.
Hey don't get me wrong, I'd take 4* players that can actually shoot the pumpkin through a round cylinder![/QUOTE]
They all could make em before they got to NU. Some of it is shooting over longer more athletic talent but they all played either AAU or internationally. I really wonder how much of it is too much time in the weight room. Jacobsen looks great but physically he looks a little too ripped. I dunno. Hope they figure it out quickly. We played really good ball earlier so maybe they'll get it going. All it takes is one game to get their heads right IMO.

Thank goodness they didn't put the Omaha Mavericks on the schedule this year. Might reveal that NU is the third best team in the state.

Can someone explain to me why Jacobson is getting minutes? He's a practice squad guy that should be playing at Hastings or Wayne St.

Can someone explain to me why Jacobson is getting minutes? He's a practice squad guy that should be playing at Hastings or Wayne St.

It's likely because he plays "within" our defensive system. Miles has stated he's trying to build the program thru our defense. Of course, that's not working out for him very well at the moment.

So Miles tweeted he's going to take a hiatus from Twitter. Is he saying social media is causing him to not coach to the best of his abilities? Or is he concerned the fan base will negatively tweet at him which will impact his recruiting abilities?

What is he getting at?

So Miles tweeted he's going to take a hiatus from Twitter. Is he saying social media is causing him to not coach to the best of his abilities? Or is he concerned the fan base will negatively tweet at him which will impact his recruiting abilities?

What is he getting at?
It is a sign of a coach who is under fire and knows it. He has enough headaches right now. Does not need Twitter at this time to add fuel to the negativity. But for a coach who has made his living and reputation here for being "outgoing" "funny" "gregarious" and so on ... it is not a good sign.

It is a sign of a coach who is under fire and knows it. He has enough headaches right now. Does not need Twitter at this time to add fuel to the negativity. But for a coach who has made his living and reputation here for being "outgoing" "funny" "gregarious" and so on ... it is not a good sign.

Miles seems like the type of guy who cares as to what others are saying about him. I'm sure he was being raked over the coals yesterday.

Miles seems like the type of guy who cares as to what others are saying about him. I'm sure he was being raked over the coals yesterday.
I would not have wanted to see what kind of Tweets he got yesterday. No human being who has a heart and cares about what they are doing would want to read the kind of shit that people send on Twitter

Reactions: dinglefritz

What is he getting at?
I don't use Twitter but viewed his game tweets and they generated tons of tweets ripping him and the program. Not exactly a great thing if recruits read the same stuff, so I imagine that's why he's stopping. Of course we have posters on this forum who threaten to quit but return days later. Like them, Miles seems pretty heavily addicted to social media so we'll see how long he is absent. Hopefully his absence will be extended to his employment soon.

What's up with the women's team too? I know we have a new coach, but I saw some of their last game and I've seen junior high teams that turned the ball over less and played better defense. And now they have to play UCONN on Wednesday? Yikes.

I don't use Twitter but viewed his game tweets and they generated tons of tweets ripping him and the program. Not exactly a great thing if recruits read the same stuff, so I imagine that's why he's stopping. Of course we have posters on this forum who threaten to quit but return days later. Like them, Miles seems pretty heavily addicted to social media so we'll see how long he is absent. Hopefully his absence will be extended to his employment soon.
Hopefully we turn it around and win the B!G and he's here for another 25 years winning multiple conference championships and NCAA tourney games....That would be better don't you think? Just sayin...Winking Way better than starting over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT