ADVERTISEMENT

Win Now vs. Build a Program

bob5150

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 30, 2004
Trev wanted build a program. Fans needed win now. This is what we got.

Yes, win now is possible. Deion is doing it, Mel Tucker did it. Many other coaches have gotten poorer teams bowl eligible in year 1.

I am a fan, and I love DONU, but if it takes three years, I think I'd prefer to leave and come back. I don't mean support a different team, just do other things on Saturdays and check the scores later. I did that today. While disappointed, I'm also feeling no emotion about it, which is better than being amped up about something I have no control over.

Happy Joel Mchale GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: king_kong_
We have more excuses every year for the same crap. What will be the excuse when we get into much tougher schedules after this year?

Reactions: c3o
Rhule said he is a builder and didn't know how to turn it around . Roster flipping is a new thing , we shall see. It doesn't matter we're all in for the long haul whether we like it or not.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Yes, win now is possible. Deion is doing it, Mel Tucker did it. Many other coaches have gotten poorer teams bowl eligible in year 1.

I am a fan, and I love DONU, but if it takes three years, I think I'd prefer to leave and come back. I don't mean support a different team, just do other things on Saturdays and check the scores later. I did that today. While disappointed, I'm also feeling no emotion about it, which is better than being amped up about something I have no control over.
I understand, makes sense. But for me, I figure I got 30 years of GREAT CFB as a Husker fan. Seems only fair that eventually the odds catch up. I did NOT see the team give up, I saw some good hitting and good D, good ST too. Offense is still error prone, has been for over a decade. Odds bug. I guess I owe them for all the good years, but truth is, its a game, and I don't get rattled over it. Just want to watch good ball, and we STILL are not there, but I'll take the advances incrementally. DS has done well for snake bitten CU, I was shocked way back when Bob Stoops won a NC so early (but he never did repeat). So rinse & repeat is part of life. Rooting and crying and not the same for me. I like that Rhule stood by Sims. It may cost now, but his word will have more meaning for future players that he won't toss em under the bus. Of course, waiting is rough for a lot of fans. Stay cool, its the only way...

There is no "building" a program anymore. Not with the portal. It doesn't even make sense to try and "build" a program.

What you want to be is a winner, then you have a chance to keep and get players.
the portal doesn't always have what you need. Mostly rejected skill position guys.

There is no "building" a program anymore. Not with the portal. It doesn't even make sense to try and "build" a program.

What you want to be is a winner, then you have a chance to keep and get players.
Just people using defense mechanisms to excuse the garbage we watch as Nebraska fans

Well.....bye....

....crazy bob.

We’ve gone steadily downhill since TO retired. We keep making coaching hires that ultimately fail. I thought it would just be a matter of time until we found a consistent winner, but for whatever reason we just keep striking out. I have no idea what Rhule’s legacy will be at NU, but if I’m honest, I think he has an incredibly monumental hill to climb. He’s stumbled right out of the gate, but that’s consistent with his past coaching endeavors.

We’ve gone steadily downhill since TO retired. We keep making coaching hires that ultimately fail. I thought it would just be a matter of time until we found a consistent winner, but for whatever reason we just keep striking out. I have no idea what Rhule’s legacy will be at NU, but if I’m honest, I think he has an incredibly monumental hill to climb. He’s stumbled right out of the gate, but that’s consistent with his past coaching endeavors.
But I don't figure Rhule will tap out and drink like a certain coach.

Ummm

Bo?

We had a consistent winner. But the media didn't like him and the fans were made that he didn't want to give out HJ's to all of us.

Hate to state it since it should be obvious, but Devaney and Osborne MIGHT have overachieved at NU. I spent some time with some big backers up in the box, and they would often spout about how well NU had done with so little resource (which I presume meant recruiting). All the great CFB schools recruit in their backyards; FL, CA, TX, and the south where prep football is bigger than the population. Even OU lives off of neighbor TX. We got KS, and the everything above WY. Some even said it was not likely that there would be another Osborn era. I believe, or at least WANT to believe that a good coach can win anywhere, but the odds remain against that. KSU and Boise State, despite their good game, lack NC titles. CU has one, but it took a 5th down to get it. They don't grow on trees and spread out far.

I hope Rhule is the guy, but I hoped that for Solich, Pelini and Frost too, but no cigar. No choice but to see if cMR is the program builder he's said to be. Meanwhile, fretting for change and leaping right back onto the coaching carousel is not wise, and certainly has not paid off so far. Big money won't solve it either. We threw a LOT of moola a our coaches, and I think WE are the chumps. Real winners are rare, and despite Deion Sanders, steadfast patience is the rule. Winning is earned, not a pre-ordained privilege, despite previous accomplishments (which were all HARD earned).

The problem is that you have to show some flashes of potential in the first year in order to convince recruits and transfers that you are going in the right direction.

If our offense has a whole season of games like these, what good players are going to want to come here? You think Georgia and Notre Dame won't be in Carter Nelson's ear all season? You think Jacory Barney didn't just watch his hometown team put up 48 points against an SEC team?

Mel Tucker was awful year 1 FYI. Year 2 was his big turnaround.

The problem is that you have to show some flashes of potential in the first year in order to convince recruits and transfers that you are going in the right direction.

If our offense has a whole season of games like these, what good players are going to want to come here? You think Georgia and Notre Dame won't be in Carter Nelson's ear all season? You think Jacory Barney didn't just watch his hometown team put up 48 points against an SEC team?
couldn't that be said about FSU, Miami, Texas, USC and a whole host of underachievers? Somehow they convinced kids to come.

Duke went from 3 wins to 9. Washington 4 wins to 11, USC 4 wins to 11.....All first year coaches. Looks like they are still holding up in year 2. It can be done by competent coaches. With the transfer portal, the trendy "rebuild" word is not entirely an excuse, but has now become a partial one. And I think that applies (somewhat) at Nebraska as well.

Yesterday's win really improved my confidence in Matt Rhule as the coach. That was a game we could have lost and probably would have lost in past seasons. We saw that LT has good athletes and were playing with confidence. Past NU teams would have simply self-destructed in one of a dozen ways. Instead we went to old-school football, played smart, and put them away.
Colorado got annihilated in a game in which they really looked on paper to have reasonable chance to win. They have great offensive playmakers even without Hunter but they looked lost in that game against a team with athletes that could match them. Where Colorado goes from here is a big question mark.
Mel Tucker's first year was utilizing Dantonio's program. Things have been in a spiral since then. It's really easy to look good when you inherit a strong program.
So no, winning now is more of an illusion and a matter of luck. Establishing sustained success is the key.

Can we dispense using the false term, 'rebuild'? It's a manipulative move to excuse terrible football.
There is no rebuild here, just a new coach and staff replacing a troubled one, like we've seen in football, at every level, a thousand times over.
This is a rebuild:

Is Deion really doing it? Wins are gonna be pretty tough to come by for them from here in out.
CU will make a bowl game this year and NU will not. Deion will do it in year one, after taking over arguably the worst P5 team in the history of P5. NU will miss a bowl for 7 straight years, and counting.

I would say Deion is really doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT