ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone that is being honest knew this would be a long rebuild

uberism1111

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 28, 2019
It's the entire reason why we gave Frost a 7 year contract. I don't have any doubt Frost will make Nebraska great again. The struggles last season and this season MIGHT be a blessing in the end. Sometimes when a new head coach has great success they think they are better than they are and they end up not achieving greatness after the immediate success. Bob Stoops is an example of that.

There have been some great head coaches that struggled early on, like Nick Saban, that end up being great head coaches.

Frost is a young head coach, has made his mistakes, but I have no doubt he will learn from them. I compared our rebuild to Wisconsin since there are a lot of similarities and what is taken place this season isn't that far off from what was taking place at Wisconsin for Barry Alvarez in his second season.

I truly believe that it's going to take the freshman class until they are juniors and seniors before we truly break through and become a force.

Yes we have been losing games, but they have been close games. It's one thing to lose a lot and get blown out week after week. If it were that case then there would be no hope. But we are losing games after building leads, 10, 17, 11 and end up losing. The challenge will be to flip that to wins next year and in the future years.

We will likely have the true freshman of the year on offense and AM (despite the down season) to build around on offense. Once we have deep threats the offense will open up and be lethal.

Right now the offense is being forced to be run through a freshman star skill player.

Frost will fix the offense.

I hope you're right, but Saban didn't really struggle early on. He took over an awful MSU program decimated by NCAA sanctions and took them to a bowl each of his first 3 years there. There was notable progress the first few seasons.

Frost and Moos said it would only take 2-3 years to turn this around. Yet we're not seeing any progress at all in Year 2. There's not one thing this team does consistently well right now. Recruiting is not particularly impressive either. Wandale's good, but we don't have any deep threats in the 2020 recruiting class. The best skill player (Betts) is a long shot to qualify.

It's the entire reason why we gave Frost a 7 year contract. I don't have any doubt Frost will make Nebraska great again. The struggles last season and this season MIGHT be a blessing in the end. Sometimes when a new head coach has great success they think they are better than they are and they end up not achieving greatness after the immediate success. Bob Stoops is an example of that.

this has to be a troll = no one can be this stupid
Bob Stoops was at OU 18 years - 10 conf titles - 11 top 10 finishes

we have a coaching staff that doesn't belong coaching a power 5 team at present- I am starting to feel sorry for the kids - it's like enrolling your kid in Spanish class only to find out the teacher doesn't speak Spanish

I hope you're right, but Saban didn't really struggle early on. He took over an awful MSU program decimated by NCAA sanctions and took them to a bowl each of his first 3 years there. There was notable progress the first few seasons.

Frost and Moos said it would only take 2-3 years to turn this around. Yet we're not seeing any progress at all in Year 2. There's not one thing this team does consistently well right now.

I know what Nick Saban did at MSU. I'm "old enough" to have watched this entire head coach career. But that isn't the example to use here. I was just stating a name that everyone is familiar with. The real comparison is Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin. Lot's of losses in close games and keep coming up short. It's the same thing happening to Frost in his second year.

I don’t mean this personally against the players. I respect a lot of the guys even if they’ve underperformed.
But I can’t wait to get rid of every Riley era player.
That’s absolutely no guarantee of success, but we just need a new cohesive group of all Frost guys.

Nah. There's no reasonable excuse to be a four win team this year. It is plain to see that Frost and his coaches are directly responsible for some of these losses, moreso than the players.

It's also pretty apparent that he's made some poor choices for assistants. The buddy hire thing fails every time.

Frost has proven himself to be a below average P5 HC. He doesn't recruit at a high enough level to overcome that.

Not sure why you and others keep moving the goalposts regarding how long this turnaround will take (if it ever happens). Think you and others aren't being realistic about Frost's ability to be successful here.

There have been some great head coaches that struggled early on, like Nick Saban, that end up being great head coaches.

Frost is a young head coach, has made his mistakes, but I have no doubt he will learn from them. I compared our rebuild to Wisconsin since there are a lot of similarities and what is taken place this season isn't that far off from what was taking place at Wisconsin for Barry Alvarez in his second season.

I truly believe that it's going to take the freshman class until they are juniors and seniors before we truly break through and become a force.

Yes we have been losing games, but they have been close games. It's one thing to lose a lot and get blown out week after week. If it were that case then there would be no hope. But we are losing games after building leads, 10, 17, 11 and end up losing. The challenge will be to flip that to wins next year and in the future years.

We will likely have the true freshman of the year on offense and AM (despite the down season) to build around on offense. Once we have deep threats the offense will open up and be lethal.

Right now the offense is being forced to be run through a freshman star skill player.

It’s not the offense that needs the fix. It’s the defense. And you can’t fix stupid

Like I said in another thread, if people were wetting their pants because the Huskers aren't going to go 10-2 and win the West Division, that could be attributed to unrealistic expectations. But this team is still finding new and creative ways to lose very winnable games, and that's hard to watch.

I don’t mean this personally against the players. I respect a lot of the guys even if they’ve underperformed.
But I can’t wait to get rid of every Riley era player.
That’s absolutely no guarantee of success, but we just need a new cohesive group of all Frost guys.
This is the only hope we have left. After than if we are still struggling we have no excuses left.

Just give it time. Brohm is in year three and you are starting to see the rebuild. Injuries have destroyed Purdue's season, making them have to play all freshman, but these things all take time. Also, David Bell might push wandale for beat offensive freshman.

Like I said in another thread, if people were wetting their pants because the Huskers aren't going to go 10-2 and win the West Division, that could be attributed to unrealistic expectations. But this team is still finding new and creative ways to lose very winnable games, and that's hard to watch.
Yep-unless we have a completely unforeseen turnaround the rest of the season, we're going to fall well short of even the most pessimistic projections for the season. Anybody who said we wouldn't make a bowl this year would have been laughed at for being ridiculously pessimistic. And yet that's where we're most likely headed. Everybody was fooled, but some of us were fooled worse than others.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Doesn't help that Frost's boys make guys like Bray, Banker, Langsdorf, and Keith Williams look like coaching gawds. I guess we should be happy that we don't have Bruce Read anymore though.

Reactions: HuskerDana
"We'll be a force in 2021" just doesn't inspire as a rallying cry.

Also, the 2021 schedule looks especially brutal.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Purdue beat us with a bunch of freshmen and sophomores. Enough with the “wait” excuses. This team has fallen so far from last year’s awful team. Being optimistic is one thing but doing so with no proof is another

I fear you might be describing Frost when it comes to success early. I wish we could've gotten him before he went to UCF. Winning there the way he did early made him stubborn and cocky. He sticks to thinking that what he did there will work here exactly as it did there. Not sure if there's any way of undoing that for the better.

We will be fine with whoever our QB is. All 3 of them can run the system.

Not sure what team you have been watching all year but Martinez has regressed big time and is incapable of running this system anymore.

How many wide open passes missed and slow developing plays because of his terrible acceleration do you have to see before you stop lying to yourself about AM?

Nick Saban never had a losing record in CFB, Dabo went 6-7 once, no other losing seasons. I can’t think of an elite coach that has ever had 6+ losses in 3 of his first 4 years.

"We'll be a force in 2021" just doesn't inspire as a rallying cry.

Also, the 2021 schedule looks especially brutal.

Worrying about future schedules is kinda pointless. I have been following college football for nearly 40 years now. A schedule NEVER ends up being what it initially appears when they get released.

Coaches leave for new jobs, important players leave for the NFL or get hurt or transfer, team chemistry could be off for any team any given year (like AM at QB this year), new schemes come and go, etc, etc.

The ONLY constant in the Big Ten Conference in my whole life is Ohio State being a big challenge annually.

Northwestern - never achieved winning at a high level for long. They have had some peaks and then always go back down. Like this year.

Minnesota will likely have a new head coach by then as PJ Fleck will lilkely get hired away by some school some where.

For all we know Paul Chryst could be gone from WI or their defensive coordinator could leave for the NFL.

A lot happens and does happen.

Worrying about future schedules is kinda pointless. I have been following college football for nearly 40 years now. A schedule NEVER ends up being what it initially appears when they get released.

Coaches leave for new jobs, important players leave for the NFL or get hurt or transfer, team chemistry could be off for any team any given year (like AM at QB this year), new schemes come and go, etc, etc.

The ONLY constant in the Big Ten Conference in my whole life is Ohio State being a big challenge annually.

Northwestern - never achieved winning at a high level for long. They have had some peaks and then always go back down. Like this year.

Minnesota will likely have a new head coach by then as PJ Fleck will lilkely get hired away by some school some where.

For all we know Paul Chryst could be gone from WI or their defensive coordinator could leave for the NFL.

But, one thing we do know is that Nebraska will be very mediocre as long as this staff is intact as it.

Should take no more then 3 years to turn it around
Dan Antonio, Fleck, Ferentz , stoops , berry A. Next year is the key year for the turn around

Nick Saban never had a losing record in CFB, Dabo went 6-7 once, no other losing seasons. I can’t think of an elite coach that has ever had 6+ losses in 3 of his first 4 years.

Barry Alvarez - 3 time Rose Bowl winning coach.

1–10 0–8 10th
5–6 2–6 T–8th
5–6 3–5 T–6th

Mack Brown

1985 Tulane 1–10
1986 Tulane 4–7
1987 Tulane 6–6 L Independence
Tulane: 11–23
North Carolina Tar Heels (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1988–1997)
1988 North Carolina 1–10 1–6 7th
1989 North Carolina 1–10 0–7 8th
1990 North Carolina 6–4–1 3–3–1

Iowa's Head Coach

1990 Maine 3–8 2–6 T–7th
1991 Maine 3–8 2–6 T–7th
1992 Maine 6–5 4–4 T–5th
Maine: 12–21 8–16
Iowa Hawkeyes (Big Ten Conference) (1999–present)
1999 Iowa 1–10 0–8 11th
2000 Iowa 3–9 3–5 8th
2001 Iowa 7–5 4–4

Nick Saban

1995 Michigan State 6–5–1 4–3–1 5th L Independence
1996 Michigan State 6–6 5–3 5th L Sun
1997 Michigan State 7–5 4–4 6th L Aloha
1998 Michigan State 6–6

Lou Holtz never had a winning season to start his coaching career

It's more common than people realize. That isn't all of them either.

I've been watching college football for 40 years doesn't equate to having a clue to what you're talking about.

Barry Alvarez - 3 time Rose Bowl winning coach.

1–10 0–8 10th
5–6 2–6 T–8th
5–6 3–5 T–6th

Mack Brown

1985 Tulane 1–10
1986 Tulane 4–7
1987 Tulane 6–6 L Independence
Tulane: 11–23
North Carolina Tar Heels (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1988–1997)
1988 North Carolina 1–10 1–6 7th
1989 North Carolina 1–10 0–7 8th
1990 North Carolina 6–4–1 3–3–1

Iowa's Head Coach

1990 Maine 3–8 2–6 T–7th
1991 Maine 3–8 2–6 T–7th
1992 Maine 6–5 4–4 T–5th
Maine: 12–21 8–16
Iowa Hawkeyes (Big Ten Conference) (1999–present)
1999 Iowa 1–10 0–8 11th
2000 Iowa 3–9 3–5 8th
2001 Iowa 7–5 4–4

Nick Saban

1995 Michigan State 6–5–1 4–3–1 5th L Independence
1996 Michigan State 6–6 5–3 5th L Sun
1997 Michigan State 7–5 4–4 6th L Aloha
1998 Michigan State 6–6

Lou Holtz never had a winning season to start his coaching career

It's more common than people realize. That isn't all of them either.

I only consider one of those to truly be an elite coach, Saban. Talking 3+ NC’s here.

People should remember he was given a 7 year contract. That is a longer than normal contract. It was written out like that for a reason and it doesn't matter if guys don't like it.

They can stop watching Nebraska football, or stop going to the games if they really want to make an impact. Or complain... On the Husker Board.

Rebuild or not.

Nobody expected this shit show that has been constant for Frost’s 21 games now. Two years. Zero bowls. Frost and his buddies have been nothing but failures thus far.
Not that I disagree, but we also don't have the athletes. Coaches were flat out stunned by our lack of physicality and strength when they arrived. Need a few more horses to inspire confidence and provide more consistent execution. Hope they get them, ASAP. As it looks how, not sure which players I would say are studs/potential studs who are underachieving. Not sure how to describe AM...maybe he is a guy being overcoached? I dunno.

Coaches were flat out stunned by our lack of physicality and strength when they arrived.
Even if they were, its Frost's fault if the players still lack physicality and strength. He has had more than enough time to remedy any perceived deficiencies......
Spring practices 2018
Supervised S&C workouts, Summer 2018
Fall Camp, 2018
The entire 2018 season
Supervised S&C workouts, Winter 2019-10
Spring practices, 2019
Supervised S&C workouts, Summer 2019
Fall Camp, 2019

At this point, blaming Riley is flat out ridiculous.

dumpsterfire.jpg

Even if they were, its Frost's fault if the players still lack physicality and strength. He has had more than enough time to remedy any perceived deficiencies......
Spring practices 2018
Fall Camp, 2018
The entire 2018 season
Spring practices, 2019
Fall Camp, 2019

Next year is when the Riley stuff shouldn't be talked about anymore. The transition group will be juniors and the juniors are mostly just defenisve players (seniors next year) and offensive lineman.

Next year is when the roster makes a major transition to Frost recruits so the change should start to be seen next year.

Spring practices 2018
Fall Camp, 2018
The entire 2018 season
Spring practices, 2019
Fall Camp, 2019

I think it is not just about soft bodies. It is also about not being soft above the shoulders. We were not very tough-minded under HCMR. I thought we would be tougher under HCSF, at this point. Way to spell "ridiculous", by the way. Lots of rediculous spellings of that one.o_O

Spelling wasn't your best subject?
I was an English teacher, in another life. Was complimenting you. That word gets misspelled often. Then there is the whole "I could care less" issue. Don't even get me started on the invented word, "versing".:eek:

Reactions: nu2u
the 2019 class had 28 players and was rated #15.

Iowa has 19 RSFR/FR in their 2 deeps, this season. how is Nebraska going to over come that and the 2020 recruiting class is Rated #27 by 247, 26th by Rivals and 24th by ESPN. this is the 2nd best recruiting class in KF's tenure. yet he has maintained Iowa competive edge, going
7-6 vs Michigan
8-7 vs PSU

the only one that he has not been competive against is OSU as he is 2-6,

the only true power in the BT is OSU.
what you have to fear is the players leaving and the new and future recruits not come to Nebraska.

the more you lose the less attractive the team becomes,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT