ADVERTISEMENT

First of all, I'm sure Lunardi is probably ok....

We are pretty much a lock unless we lose out. One more win and we'll be in, two more wins and we'll be in safely without having to go to Dayton.

MSU's blowout win against Baylor is carrying them right now.

So, is our win by I think 8 over Purdue better than that one?

I think so, however their win against Baylor was at a neutral location, whereas ours was at home. Neutral/road wins against good teams help your NET rankings more than home wins. Right now MSU is 24th and we are 41st. Like it or not, they are getting rewarded for playing a tough non-conference schedule, while we played a cupcake non-conference schedule.

NET and Kenpom have Michigan St ahead of us by quite a bit
Yes this thread is based on a confusing, at best, thesis. NET and Kenpom do in fact have MSU ahead of Nebraska by a substantial margin; but at the same time today's Lunardi brackets moved MSU down and Nebraska up to the same #9 seed. Neither team is in his last 4 in/avoid byes listings so this "one a lock not the other" idea is confusing to me as well. Sure looks like Lunardi is using his eyes and not simply following the ratings, especially if the eye test is broader than a single head to head meeting months ago.

Reactions: Crisker
For the most part, I like these various formulas because they are at least a somewhat objective way to compare teams. But they are not infallible.

There are a few teams that stick out like a sore thumb in terms of where they rank, and I think the non-conference schedule component is a big part of that, specifically in two ways. One, you get credit for playing a lot of Q1 games, regardless of whether you win or lose. At some point, you really shouldn't be able to hang your hat on just losing a lot of games just because your opponents are all better than you. Second, I would be curious to see how "Quad 4" level opponents factor into the SOS rankings. Most high major teams play about the same number of those games. There really is not much difference between a team with a NET ranking of 250 and 350, certainly not nearly as much as the difference between the teams ranked 1 vs 100. But if teams are given more "credit" for beating #250 vs #350, that is a flaw in the formula in my opinion.

Last edited:
Lunardi is an ESPN shill. Look at NET and Kenpom for reliable information.
i concur 100%. he was the first finding a niche on the blowtorch sports network and has maximized the opportunity. his bloviations are meaningless though other than for their visibility. the net is far more compelling.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
KENPOM is a joke. Michigan St lost two games in a row - at home - and only dropped to #20. Someone was saying it's a power poll and predicated on mathematical formulas. The dude needs to go back to school. The only thing that shows is Michigan St has a rough OOC and knew how to lose those games.

And Wisconsin beat Michigan St twice and is ranked behind them.

Last edited:
KENPOM is a joke. Michigan St lost two games in a row - at home - and only dropped to #20. Someone was saying it's a power poll and predicated on mathematical formulas. The dude needs to go back to school. The only thing that shows is Michigan St has a rough OOC and knew how to lose those games.

You may think KenPom is a joke but the Selection Committee doesn't; must be doing something right. Does it have faults? Yes, like all math/stats formulae, including the NET, but it is still used and weighed by the Committee.

• Angry
Reactions: dinglefritz

YES!!!!!!!!!!! They know how to LOSE tough games....:)

Reactions: IM4NUalways

KenPom needs to fix the algorithm..

Zaga #20
Wake Forest #22
Colorado #30

KenPom needs to fix the algorithm..

Zaga #20
Wake Forest #22
Colorado #30
For these three, it doesn't differ much from their NET rankings.

Colorado is pretty good, but in their two opportunities to knock off a top 10 team, Arizona boatraced them. They'll need a strong finish to get in.

We are pretty much a lock unless we lose out. One more win and we'll be in, two more wins and we'll be in safely without having to go to Dayton.

MSU's blowout win against Baylor is carrying them right now.
Didn’t KSU beat Baylor as well?

With respect to KenPom and Net, I think my main gripes can be looked at like this... currently Nebraska's record is better than Michigan St and has a win over them. Nebraska may go 1-2 to finish the season, then lose the first game in the Big 10 tourney and NOT be selected for the NCAA tourney.

Michigan St could go 1-2 to finish the season, then lose first game of the Big 10 tourney and be selected for the NCAA tourney. The difference is a mathematical formula. I've seen it in the tourney selections before and it's outrageous.

Reactions: leodisflowers
With respect to KenPom and Net, I think my main gripes can be looked at like this... currently Nebraska's record is better than Michigan St and has a win over them. Nebraska may go 1-2 to finish the season, then lose the first game in the Big 10 tourney and NOT be selected for the NCAA tourney.

Michigan St could go 1-2 to finish the season, then lose first game of the Big 10 tourney and be selected for the NCAA tourney. The difference is a mathematical formula. I've seen it in the tourney selections before and it's outrageous.
THIS......5 or so years ago, 13-5 in a great conference...we are apparently easy to dismiss

THIS......5 or so years ago, 13-5 in a great conference...we are apparently easy to dismiss
Well... we actually ARE easy to dismiss. It sucks but we have zero national respect. I think maybe Hoiberg gets a little respect that Miles didn't and it does feel like we're a little more in the national conversation this year. Who doesn't love a fun underdog in the tourney?

What was the deal with the 2018 team? No quad 1 wins? No top 50 wins? I don't know, but it was pretty amazing how bad the conference was that year.

....Bu I don't for the LIFE OF ME get how he can have MSU as a lock over us, when:
-we beat them head to head
-we are AHEAD of them in the league
-we have a better record....

It boils me up, I tell ya...:)
Our “Big Wins” are at home . That’s the difference , period .

Reactions: king_kong_
If Nebraska wins a game in the tourney, we will be adorable underdogs. If we get to the sweet 16, there will be a lot of media coverage about this team and the history of Nebraska Basketball. We would be media darlings.

Lunardi is the basketball god when it comes to predicting. He literally has predicted the entire field correctly several times over the years. You can bash ESPN all you want. But bashing Lunardi on this subject is stupid.

Lunardi is the basketball god when it comes to predicting. He literally has predicted the entire field correctly several times over the years. You can bash ESPN all you want. But bashing Lunardi on this subject is stupid.
that's such baloney. look at his mid season predictions and compare them to the endgame. that's what were talking about today, not the selection show prediction.

Reactions: Crisker
He was before the Committee (a) began using metrics such as the NET, KenPom, Sagarin, and similar models, and (b) periodically disclosed its methods and disclosed standings. After that time, Lunardi has become considerably less accurate. His recent record is not good. He's riding the coattails of his bygone accuracy.

Last edited:
Our “Big Wins” are at home . That’s the difference , period .
Michigan St has lost 3 conference games at home and one of those is to Ohio St which is ranked 13th out of 14 in the conference.

Michigan St has lost 3 conference games at home and one of those is to Ohio St which is ranked 13th out of 14 in the conference.
names matter. we can b&m about it but ku, msu, uk are always going to get favorable placement over N, k-state, and auburn.

names matter. we can b&m about it but ku, msu, uk are always going to get favorable placement over N, k-state, and auburn.
This is true. We would get preferential treatment in FB over all of these schools. Is what it is. You can't be as shitty as NU has been at basketball over the years and think you get treated the same way as a blue blood.

while names matter, I'm talking about the NET and KenPom which is based on mathematical formulas. explain why or how Michigan St is ranked above Nebraska in KenPom 20 v. 38

What is the matter with eye tests, and who beat who???
Because that is subjective to an opinion and the human element will try to include things such as home court, fans, coming off a big win; coming off a big loss; lost a player; gained a good player; etc. The mathematical formula attempts to be impartial. But something is wrong with these mathematical formulas that put Michigan St in front of Nebraska by 18 spots.

The mathematical formulas are power based (as I understand it) and so a loss to Duke is better than a win against Northeast Southwest Missouri Kiss Your Sister State. Which is bullshit because a loss is a loss and a win is a win.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT