ADVERTISEMENT

1995 NU Best Ever!! Period. EOD...

What a ridiculous statement. This LSU team while great is not the most dominant of all time. Im biased on the 95 Huskers so I won’t go there. 2001 Miami with there ridiculous talent would have beat both those teams last night.

2001 Miami team gets too much credit because they beat us 37-14 in the Rose Bowl and struggled with Virginia Tech beating them 26-24 and almost lost in the last regular season game of the season..

LSU better...

Great fine again Nebraska_ Reality is proven wrong..
OK...great. So Ahman Green ran a 4.17. Awesome.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't disprove that players today, as a whole, are stronger, faster, more explosive, etc. than they were 25 years ago.

According to the logic you are using, one guy having freakish speed means that everyone was faster then than now. If that was true, then NAIA teams from the early 1980s were faster and more explosive, since, according to the link provided, Darrell Green ran a 4.15 back in 1983, after he had starred at Texas A&I (now A&M Kingsville, NCAA-II).

Again...it isn't about one guy. My argument was college football players collectively, as a whole....and I stand buy it, unless you think there was no difference in players between 1970 and 1995.

Reactions: Crazyhole
If that is what you meant than you can’t say I can’t comprehend...If you have 14 teams compared to 8..

You than take the 3 best teams away in the conference and the 3 worst teams away...

Comprehend that..
And if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Comprehend that.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't disprove that players today, as a whole, are stronger, faster, more explosive, etc. than they were 25 years ago.

According to the logic you are using, one guy having freakish speed means that everyone was faster then than now. If that was true, then NAIA teams from the early 1980s were faster and more explosive, since, according to the link provided, Darrell Green ran a 4.15 back in 1983, after he had starred at Texas A&I (now A&M Kingsville, NCAA-II).

Again...it isn't about one guy. My argument was college football players collectively, as a whole....and I stand buy it, unless you think there was no difference in players between 1970 and 1995.
Quit while you're not ahead.

According to www.nflcombineresults.com, Ahman was a 4.4.

And, again....in general, stronger and faster, as a whole.. In other words, that is collectively, not just one person at a position on one team.
Ahman Green (Nebraska) posted a 4.17 back in 1998. Green played 11 seasons for three different NFL franchises.

The four-time Pro Bowler is in the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and is the all-time rushing leader in Packer history.

The problem with your post though is Nebraska wasn't a typical team. That was a team full of freaks period. LSU is too, but when you have some garbage teams like Ole Miss literally shred you to the tune of 400 plus yards rushing, I could only imagine what that Nebraska team would do to them. They were definitely exciting, but there defense wasn't that great. Nebraska would have their way with them running the ball and would more than likely control the ball most of the game. Bad matchup for LSU.

The problem with your post though is Nebraska wasn't a typical team. That was a team full of freaks period. LSU is too, but when you have some garbage teams like Ole Miss literally shred you to the tune of 400 plus yards rushing, I could only imagine what that Nebraska team would do to them. They were definitely exciting, but there defense wasn't that great. Nebraska would have their way with them running the ball and would more than likely control the ball most of the game. Bad matchup for LSU.
They were freaks for that time. 25 years ago. Not now.

Ahman Green (Nebraska) posted a 4.17 back in 1998. Green played 11 seasons for three different NFL franchises.

The four-time Pro Bowler is in the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame and is the all-time rushing leader in Packer history.
Great accolades for him.

Again....I'm talking collectively, in general....not whether or not one guy from 1995 was better than another from 2019.

So, I ask.....was there a difference between players in 1970 and 1995?

So, Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, LP, Ahman would not be freaks today?? Like I said quit now. You're looking dumber with every post millennial.RollingLaugh
1) I'm 46.

2) They'd be studs....just like there were studs in the 1960s that would have been studs in the 1980s....but I think we all know that players in the 1980s were, IN GENERAL, bigger, stronger, and faster than in the 1960s.

Again...my argument hasn't been about 1 or 2 or a handful of players....which is what you've turned it into. My argument is about the generation of players, in general.

But ok...fine. When, in 50 years, there are OLs that are pushing 400 lbs that all run 4.8 40-yard dash times, 1995 Nebraska would still clean their clocks.

Happy now?

Great accolades for him.

Again....I'm talking collectively, in general....not whether or not one guy from 1995 was better than another from 2019.

So, I ask.....was there a difference between players in 1970 and 1995?
Jim Brown. Johnny the Jet, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Mike Singletary, Reggie White, Darrell Green, Deion, Walter Payton, L Taylor, Emmitt Smith all these old timers would do just fine in your "modern" age of football. Probably punish most of the pussies playing today.

Last edited:
LSU 2019 much > Nebraska 71 or 95. The argument is forever changed after last night just enjoy your 25 year run because it’s over end of discussion.

LSU 2019 much > Nebraska 71 or 95. The argument is forever changed after last night just enjoy your 25 year run because it’s over end of discussion.

At least you admit we have two of the best all time teams in college football history!

Now go back where you came from..

Some people just do not realize how stupid they are so they have to show the rest of us!

At least you admit we have two of the best all time teams in college football history!

Now go back where you came from..
Man...you guys are awesome at interpreting things I didn't actually say. Kudos!

I won't even get into how this entire thread was started for the sole reason of making himself feel better. Heaven forbid there be any dissenting opinion.

Last edited:
Jim Brown. Johnny the Jet, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Mike Singletary, Reggie White, Darrell Green, Deion, Walter Payton, L Taylor, Emmitt Smith all these old timers would do just fine in your "modern" age of football. Probably punish most of the pussies playing today.
I have no doubt that Johnny Rodgers would be an effective kick returner in 2019. What I DO doubt is that he'd have very many yards from scrimmage in an offense operating behind an offensive line that averaged around 250 lbs. against the 2019 Clemson defense.

In other words, the guys you listed would still be good today. The surrounding cast they had then wouldn't be anything like the surrounding casts of today.

The 1971 Nebraska team had 2 offensive lineman drafted in the 1972 NFL draft. One was 245, and the other was 260. Do you honestly think that guys that size start on a Big 8 offensive line in the 1990s, let alone on a Power 5 OL in 2019?

I have no doubt that Johnny Rodgers would be an effective kick returner in 2019. What I DO doubt is that he'd have very many yards from scrimmage in an offense operating behind an offensive line that averaged around 250 lbs. against the 2019 Clemson defense.

In other words, the guys you listed would still be good today. The surrounding cast they had then wouldn't be anything like the surrounding casts of today.

The 1971 Nebraska team had 2 offensive lineman drafted in the 1972 NFL draft. One was 245, and the other was 260. Do you honestly think that guys that size start on a Big 8 offensive line in the 1990s, let alone on a Power 5 OL in 2019?
Of course lineman are bigger now. You're comparing 1970 to 2020? You're talking 50 years. That wasn't the argument. Argument was 1995 to 2020.

Of course lineman are bigger now. You're comparing 1970 to 2020? You're talking 50 years. That wasn't the argument. Argument was 1995 to 2020.
Then why are you injecting players like Johnny Rodgers and Walter Payton into the discussion? Both were done playing ball by 1995.

I also had asked about there being a difference between 1970 and 1995, and no one seems to want to answer. I took the mention of Rodgers as an answer (finally).

Why are you hammering on about Ahman Green, when I never said that no one from that era could play now?

All I said was that, in general, players now are a stronger and faster (maybe should have said more explosive, as opposed to stronger)...just like they always are when comparing players in general that are 25-30 years apart. I'm not, nor have I ever said that no one from the 1990s could play now. As a matter of fact...the only bad thing I'm really guilty of is daring to think that 2019 LSU is better than 1995 Nebraska....and people like you got triggered.

Elite guys are elite guys. Surrounding casts are much different now than in 1995. That work for you?

Then why are you injecting players like Johnny Rodgers and Walter Payton into the discussion? Both were done playing ball by 1995.

I also had asked about there being a difference between 1970 and 1995, and no one seems to want to answer. I took the mention of Rodgers as an answer (finally).

Why are you hammering on about Ahman Green, when I never said that no one from that era could play now?

All I said was that, in general, players now are a stronger and faster (maybe should have said more explosive, as opposed to stronger)...just like they always are when comparing players in general that are 25-30 years apart. I'm not, nor have I ever said that no one from the 1990s could play now. As a matter of fact...the only bad thing I'm really guilty of is daring to think that 2019 LSU is better than 1995 Nebraska....and people like you got triggered.

Elite guys are elite guys. Surrounding casts are much different now than in 1995. That work for you?
"They were freaks for that time". "25 years ago". "Not now." Your words. Then you tried saying Ahman was a 4.4 guy. Nothing special. That's why he keeps getting brought up. Skill guys are skill guys. Speed is speed. 25 years ago or 25 days ago. Bo Jackson didn't even lift weights. Greatest athlete of our generation. I gave examples of incredible NFL talent on that NU team and the teams NU beat. 95 is still the best of the best. Accept it or don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugeater
"They were freaks for that time". 25 years ago. Not now." Your words. Then you tried saying Ahman was a 4.4 guy. Nothing special. That's why he keeps getting brought up. Skill guys are skill guys. Speed is speed. 25 years ago or 25 days ago. Bo Jackson didn't even lift weights. Greatest athlete of our generation. I gave examples of incredible NFL talent on that NU team and the teams NU beat. 95 is still the best of the best. Accept it or don't.
I said Ahman was a 4.4 guy because that's what a website with NFL combine results said he did. I even posted the link...so it's not like I just made it up.

I never once said he couldn't play now. If you can show where I explicitly said so, feel free to share.

Look, man....I'm sorry that you were so depressed last night about another season of our beloved Huskers not being in a championship game that you had to start a thread to remind yourself and everyone here how good they once were. Maybe find another interest in life, so you're not so consumed and filled with anger towards people that don't see things your way.

The 1995 Huskers are a great memory for us all....but that's what it is at this point. Reality is that the program isn't that, will likely never be that again, and teams nowadays are going to start being better than the 1995 Huskers. 2019 LSU is one of them. I'd bet dollars to donuts that their overall team speed is better than the 1995 team. Could Ahman start for them? Probably...but I'd bet money on LSU's OL being leaner and more mobile, and I feel pretty sure that LSU's WRs are bigger and faster, and Burrow is a better QB than Frazier.

Accept it or don't.

I said Ahman was a 4.4 guy because that's what a website with NFL combine results said he did. I even posted the link...so it's not like I just made it up.

I never once said he couldn't play now. If you can show where I explicitly said so, feel free to share.

Look, man....I'm sorry that you were so depressed last night about another season of our beloved Huskers not being in a championship game that you had to start a thread to remind yourself and everyone here how good they once were. Maybe find another interest in life, so you're not so consumed and filled with anger towards people that don't see things your way.

The 1995 Huskers are a great memory for us all....but that's what it is at this point. Reality is that the program isn't that, will likely never be that again, and teams nowadays are going to start being better than the 1995 Huskers. 2019 LSU is one of them. I'd bet dollars to donuts that their overall team speed is better than the 1995 team. Could Ahman start for them? Probably...but I'd bet money on LSU's OL being leaner and more mobile, and I feel pretty sure that LSU's WRs are bigger and faster, and Burrow is a better QB than Frazier.

Accept it or don't.
I posted it because of the websites with those tweets. That and it's a fact. Go back to jizzing on Joe Burrow and LSU. You post under Nebraska Reality. But I'm guessing you're just another miserable troll who's always pissing and moaning. I'm done with you. Wipe your chin.

I posted it because of the websites with those tweets. That and it's a fact. Go back to jizzing on Joe Burrow and LSU. You post under Nebraska Reality. But I'm guessing you're just another miserable troll who's always pissing and moaning. I'm done with you. Wipe your chin.
Real mature....nothing better than a keyboard tough guy.

You're the only one pissing and moaning, and throwing insults...simply because people don't agree with you.

BTW--Your definition of incredible NFL talent needs some redefining. Examples....1 year in Canada, bouncing between practice squads for 2 seasons, or not advancing above NFL Europe isn't my definition of "incredible NFL talent". Your list should be much shorter if you want that to make a serious point.

BTW #2-- There are TONS of QBs better than Tommie Frazier....and I have yet to jizz on any of them. The 2 guys that played last night are merely 2 on a long list of QBs better that Frazier.

Last edited:
Ok expert. Tell me how S&C has dramatically changed in the last 25 years. Core lifts, squats, pushing movements, pulling movements, Olympic lifts. Speed and agility drills and plyometrics were emphasized in 1995. Sports nutrition, check. Sure advances have been made but I would say nothing earth shattering. From 1970 to 1995 obviously a massive difference, S&C staffs didn’t exist at many programs. Are players bigger, stronger, faster today, yes captain obvious. Your saying it’s apples to oranges, it’s just not true.

Ok expert. Tell me how S&C has dramatically changed in the last 25 years. Core lifts, squats, pushing movements, pulling movements, Olympic lifts. Speed and agility drills and plyometrics were emphasized in 1995. Sports nutrition, check. Sure advances have been made but I would say nothing earth shattering. From 1970 to 1995 obviously a massive difference, S&C staffs didn’t exist at many programs. Are players bigger, stronger, faster today, yes captain obvious. Your saying it’s apples to oranges, it’s just not true.
I never said it was an apples and oranges difference from 1995 to now.

Man...lotta people on here seem to twist what I actually said....

There is this.....

2018 NFL Draft- 12 Alabama players drafted (4 in the 1st Round)
1996 NFL Draft- 6 Nebraska players drafted (1 in the 1st Round)

Call me nuts, but in a head to head matchup, as much as I'd want 1995 Nebraska to win, I'd bet money on 2017 Alabama.

Last edited:
Good Lord, if people don’t think kids are stronger and faster now they are out of touch with reality. Kids are starting snc at age 10 now, nobody did that in the 80’s and 90’s. Comparing generations is stupid. Look at MLB baseball, 25 years ago you might of had 1-2 guys on a roster throw 95. Now every pitcher is 95-102. The training kids have now is light years better than in the 90’s. And it will be light years better 25 years from now too!

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
Cmon light years? Ok look at Nebraska high school state track meets true test of speed an power. Not much difference at all. Prove to me the massive difference your talking about. I said yes kids in general are physically better, light years is a ridiculous statement.

One of the best. Reality hits next year without Brady and Burrow, one year wonders.

You can't seriously believe that players in general from 1995 are equal in athleticism as players in 2020. If so, where is the point of demarcation? Could the 4 horsemen compete with players from 2020? Or is it limited to 1990, 1980, 1970?
The line of demarcation is essentially the '80s. NU's 1971 Oline averaged about 230 lbs. In '95 they averaged 300 lbs. That's a massive qualitative difference due to S&C programs coming of age in '80s. This year's LSU OLine averages about 320 lbs. Bigger than 300 but not a quantum leap. LSU, Clemson, and OSU's team speed overall is maybe a twitch faster than NU's '95 team speed but not by much. If NU could boost their team speed back up to the '95 level, they'd be damn competitive.

The only position in FB that has made a quantum leap in the past generation is QB. The best athletes today are routinely groomed into QB's and complete 70%+ of their passes. This only started to emerge in the last 10 years or so. Unprecedented passing accuracy and they can run. It's unreal.

NU '95 vs LSU '19? I see a shootout. Burrow is exaclty the kind of QB NU's mid-90's D's had trouble with (Ward, Plummer, James Brown, even Corby Jones pushed the '97 D to the brink). LSU's O would be very, very hard to slow down.

OTOH, LSU's D this year was good but maybe not elite. #30 in total D, #21 in rushing D. Not a good matchup vs NU's '95 O. And I've wondered for a while how any modern D would handle TO's violent but sophisticated running game. Modern D's simply never see anything like it.

I'll take NU '95 over LSU '19 in a 42-35 shootout. Our D gets a couple key stops at critical times whereas LSU's D never gets a handle on NU's O and is really on their heels by the fourth quarter. Totally objective, honest. :Cool:

Reactions: 1632 and schuele
Man...you guys are awesome at interpreting things I didn't actually say. Kudos!

Considering he was responding to a post by @Mr. Bookman, it would appear you just outed yourself as the person behind both accounts. Be sure to agree with yourself some more and give yourself a few more likes along the way. Just try to remember which account you're logged in to, fellow Husker fan. Winking

Considering he was responding to a post by @Mr. Bookman, it would appear you just outed yourself as the person behind both accounts. Be sure to agree with yourself some more and give yourself a few more likes along the way. Just try to remember which account you're logged in to, fellow Husker fan. Winking
Wasn't the one I meant to rely to.

But, you're free to mistakenly think that I have more than one account. If you think I'm Mr. Bookman, that makes about 5 or 6 accounts that I supposedly have.

So, was there not much difference in a college player from 1970 to 1995?
I get the argument here, but I think there is a much smaller drop off from 1995-2020. Our lineman were pushing 300 back in 95.

Like Rich Glover was 240 pounds in the 70"s

Our Starting OL in 1971

Doug Dumler - 242 lbs
Carl Johnson - 252 lbs
Dick Rupert - 221 lbs
Daryl White - 238 lbs
Keith Wortman - 238 lbs

Vs

Rob Zatechka - 315 lbs
Brenden Stai - 300 lbs
Aaron Graham - 280 lbs
Joel Wilks - 280 lbs
Zach Wiegert - 300 lbs

What I am getting at is you comparing 71 to 94/95 is like comparing McLovin to Arnold Schwarzenegger

Where as comparing 94/95 to 2019/20 is like comparing Arnold Schwarzenegger to Bob Sapp

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT