ADVERTISEMENT

🤢 Hausmann visiting Iowa

Are you suggesting a team playing limited talented teams by only playing white teams, played a similar schedule?
So you are gonna suggest that. That’s pretty amazing. 8-1-1. I don’t care that LSU “ducked” you. You lost a game and tied a game. Come on. If Iowa fan is gonna claim Nebraska is living in the past, what are you doing? This is so ridiculous, Iowa fan has absolutely no room to come to this board and act like we’ve accomplished nothing while touting their 8-1-1 “championship” season from the 50s.

And the Tigers were still all-white when Nebraska played them in the Orange Bowl after the 1970 season. They integrated in 1971 immediately after losing in the OB to eventual AP national champion Nebraska 17-12.
I watched that game when I was living in Petersburg, Va while the KKK marched about 1 block away in a little railroad ravine.

Right then I knew I wasn't in Nebraska anymore.

Correct but LSU refused to play any integrated teams.
Alabama was all-white in 1965 and beat a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange bowl for the National title who had a lot of black players let alone starters so don’t give us this crap that LSU didn’t want to play any integrated teams…

This is just a io_ay cop out to think you won a national title losing a game and tying Air Force..

Alabama was all-white in 1965 and beat a Nebraska team 39-28 in the Orange bowl for the National title who had a lot of black players let alone starters so don’t give us this crap that LSU didn’t want to play any integrated teams…

This is just a io_ay cop out to think you won a national title losing a game and tying Air Force..
As scarlet knows, Bear Bryant fought having any black players on Bama's team.

Then in 1970 Bama played USC and got blown out by Sam "the Bam" Cunningham carrying the ball.

The next year Bryant signed both Mitchell and then Wilbur Jackson as the first 2 African-American players for Bama.

These Iowa people will have a hard time reinventing history while guys like scarlet, myself, and other old fans actually lived through that time and were old enough to know what real college football was.

As scarlet knows, Bear Bryant fought having any black players on Bama's team.

Then in 1970 Bama played USC and got blown out by Sam "the Bam" Cunningham carrying the ball.

The next year Bryant signed both Mitchell and then Wilbur Jackson as the first 2 African-American players for Bama.

These Iowa people will have a hard time reinventing history while guys like scarlet, myself, and other old fans actually lived through that time and were old enough to know what real college football was.
**Edit* The FIRST bowl game I remember was in 1962 with Arkansas v. Alabama. The now 78-year-old Joe Namath was the starting QB for Bama as a sophomore.

Michigan — Can’t say I blame him. Unfortunately he is going be great in AA.

Ahhhh it was Oklahoma and Bud Wilkinson..
It was Jan 1, 1963, for the 1962 season when Alabama and Arkansas played.

Even if the game was played on New Year's Day, it's still for the '62 season.

At any rate, that was a L-O-N-G time ago. LOL

It was Jan 1, 1963, for the 1962 season when Alabama and Arkansas played.

Even if the game was played on New Year's Day, it's still for the '62 season.

At any rate, that was a L-O-N-G time ago. LOL
Ya there is some confusion because Arkansas and Bama played in the 1962 Sugar Bowl

Correct but LSU refused to play any integrated teams.
So, I checked LSU's schedule in the 1950s, and noticed they played the University of the Pacific in 1950. I'm looking at some game photos, and UOP had at least one black player back then, an offensive tackle who wore the number 73. I can't find the name. In those days, it was common for players from integrated universities to leave its black players at home so as not to offend the racist institutions of the South.

In 1953, LSU hosted BC, which had been fully integrated for about 20 years, but BC often left its star black players at home when it played Southern teams.

In 1956, LSU played Oklahoma State, but the Cowboy Aggies were still a year away from inviting Chester Pittman onto its roster, which made him the first black player at OSU, just a few years after the brutal, racist beating that OSU players put on Drake's Johnny Bright in a Missouri Valley game. OSU joined the Big Seven/Eight in 1958.

If neither BC nor Pacific traveled with its black players in 1950 and 1953, then the first integrated team LSU played was the 1961 Colorado squad that both won the Big Eight title and broke several NCAA regulations, setting the stage for a devastating CU probation.

Reactions: scarletred
Michigan is gonna struggle without McNamara and All, both slated for all-American seasons in the Crapids metropolitan area.

After all, the Iowa defense had two all-Americans this year in Campbell and Merriweather, as well as a third player, Van Ness, who's a surefire first-round NFL pick in most mock drafts. Yet they lost because some true sophomore DB fell down after getting blocked in the first quarter.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Michigan is gonna struggle without McNamara and All, both slated for all-American seasons in the Crapids metropolitan area.

After all, the Iowa defense had two all-Americans this year in Campbell and Merriweather, as well as a third player, Van Ness, who's a surefire first-round NFL pick in most mock drafts. Yet they lost because some true sophomore DB fell down after getting blocked in the first quarter.

MacNamara would have been a good safety blanket to have on the bench in case of injury.

On the other hand, All's health is questionable. Michigan's doctors felt his back wouldn't allow him to ever play again at the same level. All's family found a doctor in Florida who disagreed. We will have to wait and see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT