ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
I know but the logistics of this stupid virus are a mofo to plan around when New York is burning but Milwaukee is not

Right so in that study Truhusker linked it said it should subside to non epidemic levels in June sometime.

But that was assuming several things. One is that people more or less strictly follow the separation rules. Which we know their not so right off the bat is a degree of delta for the June prediction. It also said other states where seeing a slow burn like California or were relatively early in their o really exposure so they would be later than June. So again pushing back that date.

And a dirty little secret that's strictly my opinion....no national anything is playing ball of any type if California is fighting an epidemic anywhere on the curve on 4th of July. And it probably wouldn't take a state as big as Cali to throw the NCAA for a loop. Little ol Iowa and Nebraska would be enough to give the B1G and the B12 reason to cancel.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27/college-football-eyes-possible-summer-season

check this out. I’d be in favor of that. Games on a Saturday night in July.

Not sure how I'd feel about this. Better than nothing I'm sure, but feels like it would be a clown show more than anything, at least for the Huskers.

From that study, you have a potential wind-down in June, so a handful of weeks later a bunch of teams take the field to rush through a season before it gets cool again? We'd be lucky to get a handful of conditioning workouts, let alone any sort of Spring or Fall camp type of thing. we'd essentially have a bunch of young guys taking the field for the first time, basically playground style, vs a bunch of B1G competition that mostly had the advantage of a bowl season to work on stuff 6 months ago.

So you have a Husker team that wasn't all that good coming into a rushed season with minimal conditioning, even more minimal practice time (if any), and a whole bunch of rust. Be fun to see them take the field but hard for me to rectify it in my mind as a quality year for any purpose really.

Reactions: Flick2.0
Good grief man.....have you sealed yourself in an old abandoned missile silo yet??? I know things aren't exactly sunshine and rainbows here but things could look much different by summer. I understand your anxiety as I've had to temporarily shut down a biz but spewing out all this doom and gloom ain't helping anything. Let's see how things materialize over the next few months before we call off the football season.
This is one of the few times when doom and gloom helps. Get prepared, have two weeks of food because when you get sick, how are you getting food? Are you going to expose somebody coming to your house, are you going to expose the grocery store? What if you call the doctor and they prescribe you an inhaler to help with breathing? How do you get it? Who get its for you? Are you going to expose your family, or isolate safely in your house? What happens if you need medical help? Who dies because you didn't give a shiite. Can you live with that knowing you went into a full hospital and they put a 65 year old on morphine to die while they tried to save you? You may die from this, but when you become a careless carrier you may kill someone else, including a medical professional. Take it serious...even to the point of feeling like a chump.

Fauci is concerned about waves. Supposing the US peak is in the middle of the summer (NY ahead of that pace pretty much everyone else trailing) the thought is what good is it to start working your way down that curve from the peak and then four weeks later start stuffing everyone back on top of each other at several levels of competitive football.

Sort of defeats the point. Which is why I think we're hearing all this stuff pop up now about groups not wanting to do anything (sports leagues..whatever) until there's a vaccine. There's probably several layers of legal ramification if a league decides it business as usual and you get a mini flare up in Gainesville or wherever.
I got a subtle hope from Fauci. He said they have vaccines already in mass production, even though they don't know if they work. He says he does this as a rule but that is BS because who is paying for mass production of a vaccine that doesn't work, unless he is talking about the seasonal flu vaccine which is always viewed as safe. Depending on the scope of the outbreak I would imagine the vaccine will become available once they know it is safe and they know the coronavirus isn't a disease that is made worse by a vaccine. They will skip the large field testing and just go straight to the vulnerable population.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Dr Fauci also said that we could also have a return of the Corona virus in late fall early winter of course some of us could be more immune to the virus by then but still too many would be susceptible to the virus again..

Bottom line the sooner they can find a vaccine for the sooner we can gather in larger numbers in sporting events again..

Dr Fauci also said that we could also have a return of the Corona virus in late fall early winter of course some of us could be more immune to the virus by then but still too many would be susceptible to the virus again..

Bottom line the sooner they can find a vaccine for the sooner we can gather in larger numbers in sporting events again..
It's more and more looking to me like a return of sports in the fall is not probably a likely scenario. There's an extremely high risk of infection. We could do it IMO from a public standpoint but I just think the risk to the athletes in football would be too high. We'll know more by July. The thought process seems to change day by day. It's the reason that second guessing decisions that were made weeks go is so stupid.

Reactions: scarletred
I got a subtle hope from Fauci. He said they have vaccines already in mass production, even though they don't know if they work. He says he does this as a rule but that is BS because who is paying for mass production of a vaccine that doesn't work, unless he is talking about the seasonal flu vaccine which is always viewed as safe. Depending on the scope of the outbreak I would imagine the vaccine will become available once they know it is safe and they know the coronavirus isn't a disease that is made worse by a vaccine. They will skip the large field testing and just go straight to the vulnerable population.
I've been saying for weeks that they should be building stockpiles of the antigen and wait until they get their first trial results in about 3-4 more weeks to do a final dilution. Then you could package and ship hundreds of thousands of doses in a matter of weeks. Given the knowledge we have from other mammalian CV vaccines I have little doubt that they'll be effective. It's just a matter of antigen dose.

Reactions: bluenrg
"the best way to destroy the capitalist system [is] to debauch the currency" Vladimir Illyich Lenin

...just in case you don't think those exist who are in the process.

It might be easier to take out a sector here or there....provide the thing for you instead of you making it on your own even if you could make it yourself but have lower profit margins because of American worker costs for instance....

I am the walrus?

Good grief man.....have you sealed yourself in an old abandoned missile silo yet??? I know things aren't exactly sunshine and rainbows here but things could look much different by summer. I understand your anxiety as I've had to temporarily shut down a biz but spewing out all this doom and gloom ain't helping anything. Let's see how things materialize over the next few months before we call off the football season.

Zero grace or objectivity...100% doom and gloom....brought to you by the same peoole who've been whining for over 3+ years. Tune 'em out or they'll make you want to blow your brains out. Consider it an investment in yourself.

Agreed. Got wind that Maryland and other east coast states considering options where school is not held in the fall term. Online only
I bet you money every university and probably school admin in general are preparing for this possibility. I think the fear of many is even if this starts to fade off during the summer it is going spike back up again this fall. This might be the new normal for the next year or so until a vaccine is created.

I bet you money every university and probably school admin in general are preparing for this possibility. I think the fear of many is even if this starts to fade off during the summer it is going spike back up again this fall. This might be the new normal for the next year or so until a vaccine is created.

Yah my wife stays home so it's easier to absorb than the bulk of families who won't be able to utilize school or daycare to offload the children for large blocks of time.

This is going to suck for a lot of people even if it only lasts a few more weeks.

I've been saying for weeks that they should be building stockpiles of the antigen and wait until they get their first trial results in about 3-4 more weeks to do a final dilution. Then you could package and ship hundreds of thousands of doses in a matter of weeks. Given the knowledge we have from other mammalian CV vaccines I have little doubt that they'll be effective. It's just a matter of antigen dose.

Fauci is doubling down on his 12-18 month timeline. Said he's not going to shorten that process. Where they are going to attempt to shorten is produce candidate vaccines in late stage test in bulk so they can ship immediately if cleared.

A fall vaccine seems unlikely so yah I agree with your other post about fall sports

There are certainly more cases than we have counted but not a huge % more...there is good raw data from SK and cruise ships that give us a good estimate that about 35% of the infections are missed or asymptomatic...America has done 600k tests and have about a 15% infection rate...this is quite high but also points to the fact that they are testing a ton of people who THINK they have it or might have it but don't. 85% of people who are tested do not have it...so the "theory" of mass immunity is completely BS. It is safe to say that the infection numbers are half of what is actually out there...so 150k infections means 300k infections...out 330 million people...this theory needs to die. Also this virus does have an symptomatic population but they are mostly younger than 20...the vast majority of people > 30 who get it are in for a bad time and will remember the virus long after. And as you get older the experience becomes worse and worse. Hundreds of millions of people...would equate to millions of critically ill, THERE ARE 70 MILLION OLDER THAN 60 IN AMERICA!!!!!
Herd immunity isn’t a theory, I’m not sure why you’re saying that.

Vis a vis herd immunity. Fauci has said for various illnesses the percent that you need to have been exposed is different. Some things only take like 60-70 percent. He said others were like 95.

I don't recall hearing any updates on if we know what it is for this one.

Well if everyone has been shaking in their boots about the 2020 schedule they better take a gander at the 2021 schedule.
at Oklahoma at Michigan State back to back weekends.
Ohio St at home next.
Northwestern
at Purdue
Michigan
Iowa
and ending the season with Wisconsin and at Minnesota..
We aren't in the Big 8 any more!

The main reason why I think so is we are talking about 4-5 months until then(counting time for fall practice). That is a long time in a situation that changes pretty rapidly. If we're not playing college football in a little over 5 months, then we've probably been stuck in the current situation for that long. I just don't see how that can happen. We already have people pushing now for relaxing things by Easter. Too early in my opinion, but as time goes on, there will be more and more pressure to try to get back to normal life. The virus will still be around, but should have peaked by then. I'm guessing the MLB will be playing by then too, maybe about a half season. Just going the optimistic route-I think too many people are being pessimistic by looking at the current situation and trying to project it out based on how things are going now.
Easter ain't going to happen as a restart date for life as we once knew it.

I voted "no", but my actual answer is "who knows". Even if a majority of people become confirmed infected, there's still a large number that won't know for certain. Who will go to the games? Which players/parents, coaches, universities will risk it?

Hypothetically, if widespread testing shows zero (or a very low number) early enough, some return to normalcy will occur for some people. But what about the people that don't get tested or test negative after already contracting the virus. Uncertainty will linger, and no set end date for a return to normalcy for those people.

If the answer is no, do they play the 2020 season in 2021 or does this entire schedule go un-played and they just go to the 2021 schedules?

The former lends itself to some massive contract issues.

If the answer is no, do they play the 2020 season in 2021 or does this entire schedule go un-played and they just go to the 2021 schedules?

The former lends itself to some massive contract issues.

My opinion would be the 2021 schedule would be played as scheduled..

Maybe but without fans in the stands
Maybe fans with social distancing rules. Seat occupied. No one within 6' of anyone in any direction. Entrance and exit like going to church. Ushered in and out. Season ticket for one game only because of sd rules, then new group for the next game.
The idea that warm weather slows the virus may not be valid. Louisiana is a warm weather state and one of the hot spots. I can see putting the athletes at risk by putting them together in locker rooms. Also will they be physically ready to play the games do to lack of strength and conditioning?

Hopefully it comes with a massive sweep of outlawing being anti-vax without a doctor's order saying you physically cannot tolerate vaccines.

My god, hell to the nooooo. I will move if they start lawfully enforcing putting (let’s be real, there’s enough history of corporations paying governments/scientists to spin whatever they want about health effects of things) unknown foreign substances into my body. Scary to know that I’m living among people who would actually support this complete dismantling of personal freedom. You trust vaccines, and want to protect yourself, cool go get it. But you will not force me to shoot up, that’s complete BS.

I think the more times it comes back the less lethal it is. Jmo

I say yes, need to more forward come hell or high water, this sitting back passively is for the birds. Figure out a way to get it done. No fans in seats*, no non-con games. Whatever it takes but there is plenty of time to develop a reasonable approach.

*still allow ticket sales so we can continue the streak, if only to piss off the people that bitch about it.

Reactions: Sinomatic
That may come true down the road but not next late fall and winter, at least till they can make a vaccine sooner...
I think the jury is still out on whether you will be able to contract it a second time or multiple times. Probably a 50/50 bet. I guess I think if it comes back again going into winter, which I agree with you it probably will, I don't think it will be as deadly since the most susceptible don't appear to be able to survive round 1 unfortunately. We'll see. I probably have said this before but I think they will have therapeutic solution by the next wave if late fall. Vaccine in place for flu shot time 2021.

Reactions: scarletred
listening to KFAB this morning they discussed whether the season will be cancelled. Herbstreit and some lawyer who works with the NCAA both said the season will likely be cancelled.

I heard that too. If I were Herbie, I wouldn't have attached my name to that until we get a little further down the line.

I heard that too. If I were Herbie, I wouldn't have attached my name to that until we get a little further down the line.

listening to KFAB this morning they discussed whether the season will be cancelled. Herbstreit and some lawyer who works with the NCAA both said the season will likely be cancelled.

What did Jim Rose think ? Yes Herbstreit should have at least waited till July before making a for sure statement.

At this point, I think it is a foregone conclusion that there will be no football season. College or pro. The “experts” discussing the virus are not nailing all of the details, but they are doing a fair job of predicting the timing of the spread. Try to find one that says life will be back to normal by July.

Basketball is probably the next sport we’ll see. In November-December, NCAA hoops and the NBA my be able to start their seasons.

Geezus I hope I’m wrong; but this thing is going to continue to overwhelm some areas. The overwhelmed areas won’t just flip a switch and be back to normal overnight.

At this point, I think it is a foregone conclusion that there will be no football season. College or pro. The “experts” discussing the virus are not nailing all of the details, but they are doing a fair job of predicting the timing of the spread. Try to find one that says life will be back to normal by July.

Basketball is probably the next sport we’ll see. In November-December, NCAA hoops and the NBA my be able to start their seasons.

Geezus I hope I’m wrong; but this thing is going to continue to overwhelm some areas. The overwhelmed areas won’t just flip a switch and be back to normal overnight.

I'm not sure the experts are getting anything right. Some are, but there are way too many "experts" all telling us a different thing and then reconciling it in hindsight.

First things are first.Let’s wait till Baseball calls it quits first this season....

Baseball is still on a wait and see mode for now.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I'm not sure the experts are getting anything right. Some are, but there are way too many "experts" all telling us a different thing and then reconciling it in hindsight.

Experts was in quotes, because there are a lot of voices in your ear. I guess I mean the collective wisdom that told us this thing was going to get bad and overwhelm some areas were the closest to accurate. Every day I look for some kind of positive news that indicates we’re turning a corner. Not yet. And turning the corner today doesn’t mean back to normal on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT