ADVERTISEMENT

Will we have a season?

Will we have a season?

• Yes

Votes: 102 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 105 50.7%

• Total voters
I say it's way too early to being doom and gloom about the season not starting on time, or not at all. I'm going to say yes, there will be a season and it will start on time.

I say it's way too early to be making predictions about what will be happening by the end of summer. I'm going to say yes, there will be a season and it will start on time.

Hoping you’re spot on, but I’m going to follow the MLB and they’re going to lead us up to the football season.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Hoping you’re spot on, but I’m going to follow the MLB and they’re going to lead us up to the football season.
The main reason why I think so is we are talking about 4-5 months until then(counting time for fall practice). That is a long time in a situation that changes pretty rapidly. If we're not playing college football in a little over 5 months, then we've probably been stuck in the current situation for that long. I just don't see how that can happen. We already have people pushing now for relaxing things by Easter. Too early in my opinion, but as time goes on, there will be more and more pressure to try to get back to normal life. The virus will still be around, but should have peaked by then. I'm guessing the MLB will be playing by then too, maybe about a half season. Just going the optimistic route-I think too many people are being pessimistic by looking at the current situation and trying to project it out based on how things are going now.

Yeah, like i said in the other thread, the China Virus, its severity, will determine if people feel like showing up to events, even if the govt does nothing. People just won't feel like playing Russian Roulette until there are vaccines or herd immunity, both will take time like 18 months.

Hope I'm wrong. I can still think about how maybe NU will finally have dominant DL and OL lines in the future though.

Reactions: HuskAir
Just let em play... NU played thru WW1, Spanish Flu, and WW2. we may have sucked, but at least we tried and it was something to get our hopes up.

It's really part of being a Nebraskan. Read those corner stadium tennats.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

"Their Lives they held their countrys trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Even into today, this is who WE are and WE must stay STRONG. We are Nebraskans and we WILL get through this!

Just let em play... NU played thru WW1, Spanish Flu, and WW2. we may have sucked, but at least we tried and it was something to get our hopes up.

In Commemoration of the men of Nebraska who served and fell in the Nation's Wars."

"Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

"Courage; Generosity; Fairness; Honor; In these are the true awards of manly sport."

"Their Lives they held their countrys trust; They kept its faith; They died its heroes."

Even into today, this is who WE are and WE must stay STRONG. We are Nebraskans and we WILL get through this!
And some other smart guy said there's more to life than the game. That's more of the Nebraskan way to me
6779742._UY475_SS475_.jpg

Reactions: TheBeav815
Yeah, like i said in the other thread, the China Virus, its severity, will determine if people feel like showing up to events, even if the govt does nothing. People just won't feel like playing Russian Roulette until there are vaccines or herd immunity, both will take time like 18 months.

Hope I'm wrong. I can still think about how maybe NU will finally have dominant DL and OL lines in the future though.

Hadn't thought about it from this angle. Most places around the country in-person attendance had been falling anyway.

I wonder what the calculation is for ADs around the country to try and incur the expenses of a season if most people won't attend anyway.

Hadn't thought about it from this angle. Most places around the country in-person attendance had been falling anyway.

I wonder what the calculation is for ADs around the country to try and incur the expenses of a season if most people won't attend anyway.
I tend to believe that would be mitigated at least somewhat by people who have been cooped up for weeks or months wanting to get out and do something.

Good grief. It's still March for cryin out loud! Wayyyy too early to determine that yet. If we can't play football by Sept this country would be an absolute disaster!

With talks of multiple waves or even just a rough first wave here....I see it as a pretty decent chance we don't play until a vaccine is released in the next year or so.

They essentially would start again for spring ball next year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm not about to address "The Nebraska Way", since that topic has been beaten to death here for more than 20 years.

Then why bring it up?

Then why bring it up?
Why wouldn't I bring up being a Nebraskan in the face of disease and world wars? I have a proud Nebraska family whom fought in both WW1 and 2. Survived the Spanish flu. Their memories are cast, much like any here or those that fill Memorial.

And you ask, "Why bring it up?".

Dude. Either you are from Maine or Florida; I'll forgive you for being so dense.

That generation gave us hope to endure and live. That generation barely lived to tell about it.

Why wouldn't I bring up being a Nebraskan in the face of disease and world wars? I have a proud Nebraska family whom fought in both WW1 and 2. Survived the Spanish flu. Their memories are cast, much like any here or those that fill Memorial.

And you ask, "Why bring it up?".

Dude. Either you are from Maine or Florida; I'll forgive you for being so dense.

That generation gave us hope to endure and live. That generation barely lived to tell about it.
You're delusional. You brought it up, then said you weren't going to address it, and then say why wouldn't I bring it up.

Well of course it's the topic of conversation in athletics, there are no sports going on to talk about. Nobody is going to cancel the football season 6 months ahead of time. Most Athletic Departments can't survive without football, especially after March Madness was cancelled. They will play in empty stadiums before they cancel.

How about we wait a few weeks and see if any of the experimental drugs/therapies are successful, and we get the antibody tests to determine who has all had the virus, before we make decisions about things half-a-year from now?

I'm going to vote no. Coaches like Mendenhall seem resigned to the fact that we'll have a late start if at all. Even the Sec guys like Finebaum and Saban seem more down about the chances than I thought they would.

Frost seems more upbeat than most but also seems like it's a real possibility this year is over.

Without a vaccine I just don't see it. However safe you might feel we have a large contingent of older folks attending games and there is no reason to put their health at risk. It's more then they can decide on their own.

Relative to travel why put your players at risk. Heck there's a team that paints the visiting locker room pink, just imagine what they could do with a locker room that doesn't get disinfected.

Without a vaccine I just don't see it. However safe you might feel we have a large contingent of older folks attending games and there is no reason to put their health at risk. It's more then they can decide on their own.

Relative to travel why put your players at risk. Heck there's a team that paints the visiting locker room pink, just imagine what they could do with a locker room that doesn't get disinfected.

We could have a season , but the stadiums may only be 1/10th full, bigger TV money. Who knows, the more we isolate now for 7-10 weeks, the cases could dramatically fall, then big testing capacity with containment and isolation. It could go down enough for some to venture out. No one knows, I have my doubts on USA's ability to isolate that long 7-10 weeks.

I'm going to vote no. Coaches like Mendenhall seem resigned to the fact that we'll have a late start if at all. Even the Sec guys like Finebaum and Saban seem more down about the chances than I thought they would.

Frost seems more upbeat than most but also seems like it's a real possibility this year is over.
Yes, I think it's unrealistic to think we won't have some kind of treatment or therapy for this virus in 6 months. We have thousands of the smartest people in the world working on it. Plus we will have the antibody test available soon, which will allow us to know who has all had the virus already and can return to their normal lives.
Swine flu had no vaccine either and 18,000 Americans adults and Children died that year. A Vaccine was found in 6 months. And this years vaccines were scored at only 29pecnt effectiv against the swine flu. The malaria drug has been helpful against some of the symptoms. Of Covid 19. The CDC and private sector Big Medicine has immense incentive and financial benefits to find a vaccine that will work fast. And having a impatient president. Who what’s America working ,and not dying breathing down the necks of the bureaucrats in the CDC, is exactly what we need here. The therapeutics for this virus have been very promising The virus will soon be on its Heels.Easter prayers:) my friendsLurk

I know but the logistics of this stupid virus are a mofo to plan around when New York is burning but Milwaukee is not

Here's a reason why I still think we can play this year and all of this panic about it now is overblown. A study released today says they expect the number of hospitalized patients to peak nationally by the second week of April and deaths subsiding below epidemic levels(they indicate as 10 per day) by June, with a few dying by July.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200326232240-2yx1f

The numbers look scary because the numbers are ONLY based on those who have had the test. Most who have had the test have been so bad they went to the hospital and probably needed to be admitted. For the rest of the millions who have had it they stayed home, felt sick, and never got tested. They felt better after a few days or week and continued on with their normal lives. Never even knowing they had.
If we were actually able to test every single person in the US or World. Im guessing we would have had hundreds of millions who have had it. This would drive all those scary numbers way way down.
There are certainly more cases than we have counted but not a huge % more...there is good raw data from SK and cruise ships that give us a good estimate that about 35% of the infections are missed or asymptomatic...America has done 600k tests and have about a 15% infection rate...this is quite high but also points to the fact that they are testing a ton of people who THINK they have it or might have it but don't. 85% of people who are tested do not have it...so the "theory" of mass immunity is completely BS. It is safe to say that the infection numbers are half of what is actually out there...so 150k infections means 300k infections...out 330 million people...this theory needs to die. Also this virus does have an symptomatic population but they are mostly younger than 20...the vast majority of people > 30 who get it are in for a bad time and will remember the virus long after. And as you get older the experience becomes worse and worse. Hundreds of millions of people...would equate to millions of critically ill, THERE ARE 70 MILLION OLDER THAN 60 IN AMERICA!!!!!

Reactions: husker2612
Here's a reason why I still think we can play this year and all of this panic about it now is overblown. A study released today says they expect the number of hospitalized patients to peak nationally by the second week of April and deaths subsiding below epidemic levels(they indicate as 10 per day) by June, with a few dying by July.

Oh my God this is so stupid. The italian outbreak "started" on March 2nd....27 days later they just hit 900 deaths in one day...they aren't going to peak until 35 days into hell, and then they are going to still have hundreds of deaths a day into May...and will likely weaken by mid May...They are two weeks ahead of New York, their outbreak began on March 17th...40 days of hell...gets them to May 1st before they peak in deaths...like near a 1000 a day..hopefully not. Nebraska won't likely start their outbreak until the fall, or it will be delayed until we open school again. Louisiana, Chicago, Detroit, L.A are up to 3 weeks behind New York...New York was seeded very early by large populations of Iranians and Italians who were already ill. And Those other cities were likely seeded by New York...this thing isn't invisible, it isn't everywhere but it will be and it will be either so bad that you remember it the rest of your life, or even worse to the point you forget it, as people did in 1918.

Oh my God this is so stupid. The italian outbreak "started" on March 2nd....27 days later they just hit 900 deaths in one day...they aren't going to peak until 35 days into hell, and then they are going to still have hundreds of deaths a day into May...and will likely weaken by mid May...They are two weeks ahead of New York, their outbreak began on March 17th...40 days of hell...gets them to May 1st before they peak in deaths...like near a 1000 a day..hopefully not. Nebraska won't likely start their outbreak until the fall, or it will be delayed until we open school again. Louisiana, Chicago, Detroit, L.A are up to 3 weeks behind New York...New York was seeded very early by large populations of Iranians and Italians who were already ill. And Those other cities were likely seeded by New York...this thing isn't invisible, it isn't everywhere but it will be and it will be either so bad that you remember it the rest of your life, or even worse to the point you forget it, as people did in 1918.
Good grief man.....have you sealed yourself in an old abandoned missile silo yet??? I know things aren't exactly sunshine and rainbows here but things could look much different by summer. I understand your anxiety as I've had to temporarily shut down a biz but spewing out all this doom and gloom ain't helping anything. Let's see how things materialize over the next few months before we call off the football season.

Last edited:

Fauci is concerned about waves. Supposing the US peak is in the middle of the summer (NY ahead of that pace pretty much everyone else trailing) the thought is what good is it to start working your way down that curve from the peak and then four weeks later start stuffing everyone back on top of each other at several levels of competitive football.

Sort of defeats the point. Which is why I think we're hearing all this stuff pop up now about groups not wanting to do anything (sports leagues..whatever) until there's a vaccine. There's probably several layers of legal ramification if a league decides it business as usual and you get a mini flare up in Gainesville or wherever.

Good grief man.....have you sealed yourself in an old abandoned missile silo yet??? I know things aren't exactly sunshine and rainbows here but things could look much different by summer. I understand your anxiety as I've had to temporarily shut down a biz but spewing out all this doom and gloom ain't helping anything. Let's see how things materialize over the next few months before we call off the football season.

Who is that aimed at? I haven't seen anyone lose their mind in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT