ADVERTISEMENT

Why Ohio State Should Be IN Over Oklahoma (CFB Playoff)

1) if you give up 49 to Purdue, 51 to Maryland, and nearly 40 to 3 other teams, you've lost the right to brag about your defense.

2) True Dwayne Haskins has 320 more yards passing, but he's also thrown the ball 150 more times than Murray. Murray has the better completion %, QBR, and a staggering 700 more yards rushing. That's a bad point to try and argue.

3) this guy's using transitive property for quality wins which is just childish really. They squeaked by an unimpressive Penn State, and Michigan St is not a great team this year. Michigan is Ohio State's little brother this millennium. Even when Oklahoma State reels off 10 win seasons, Oklahoma typically wins because there's a psychological factor as well.

4) You got boat-raced by a 6-6 Purdue. That is unforgivable. Oklahoma is a kick away from being undefeated. The last time we let a 1 loss Ohio State into the playoff they got the brakes beat off them by Clemson.

Michigan fooled everyone.

Not a fan of the Sooner defense. tOSU is a weird team, but they play better than anybody after a loss.

I'd be pounding the UCF table with Milton. That's the team that gets screwed here. But Milton is out.

UCF with a win will be the most deserving. The injury excuse is dumb. It should be what you accomplished, not how good you currently are. If tua gets hurt against jorja, will anybody be saying bama should move down even though they are a much worse team without him?

Not a fan of the Sooner defense. tOSU is a weird team, but they play better than anybody after a loss.

I'd be pounding the UCF table with Milton. That's the team that gets screwed here. But Milton is out.

Too bad he was hurt.. but now I think they get Upset by Memphis..

Too bad he was hurt.. but now I think they get Upset by Memphis..

I wouldn't bet against them. That QB just needs to manage the game.

I kinda like the under, think the defense shows up.

I'll bet this much, that team is going to be pumped to win for McKenzie.

I wouldn't bet against them. That QB just needs to manage the game.

I kinda like the under, think the defense shows up.

I'll bet this much, that team is going to be pumped to win for McKenzie.

I’m betting against them now that Milton is out..
They barely won with Milton earlier .I’ll take the juice.

UCF with a win will be the most deserving. The injury excuse is dumb. It should be what you accomplished, not how good you currently are. If tua gets hurt against jorja, will anybody be saying bama should move down even though they are a much worse team without him?

UCF, as usual, has nobody with a pulse on their schedule. Being undefeated with a terrible schedule does not mean they are the most deserving to make the playoff over teams like Oklahoma or Ohio State. Hell, I think Washington or Washington State have more of a claim than UCF.

No team with two losses should ever be allowed a spot in the playoffs. So I guess we need to see if Oklahoma can find a defense first.

If Oklahoma, Ohio St, and Georgia all lose (which is very possible) and UCF wins but still gets left out of the playoff, I think it will be time to move to an 8 team playoff. There is no reason a 2 loss team should get in ahead of an undefeated UCF.

hope OU and OSU lose to put more pressure for a 8 team playoff

conf champs auto in with 3 at large - one has to be a non-power 5 school if they have fewer than 2 losses.
this in reality gives you a 13 team playoff as all divisional champions control their path to a NC

Reactions: cubsker
Notre Dame needs to join a conference and get into a championship position, no more resting and waiting for a freebie into the national playoff.

If they had a loss it wouldn’t matter too us they would be out, but if they go unbeaten like this year you have to give it to them..

Very seldom they’ll go unbeaten... I know I know they done twice the last 6 years other wise you would have to go all the way back to 1988..

If they had a loss it wouldn’t matter too us they would be out, but if they go unbeaten like this year you have to give it to them..

Very seldom they’ll go unbeaten... I know I know they done twice the last 6 years other wise you would have to go all the way back to 1988..
I think eventually as college football evolves, every team will belong to a conference, especially if they want to expand to 8 or even more for a playoff. If Notre Dame were in one, it would lessen criticism that comes their way. Years down the road it might happen, but the Irish will avoid it as long as possible.

Notre Dame had the 27th rated SOS in 2018, ok, but not great.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Last edited:

Yeah but it’s not about whose the most deserving. It’s about who can generate the most money....................and the BCS. THATS WHY THEY WONT GET IN.

Notre Dame needs to join a conference and get into a championship position, no more resting and waiting for a freebie into the national playoff.

Disagree. ND plays a tough independent schedule, they are physical, and undefeated.

In and always In with the "Catholic card."

I'll counter with if Notre Dame were in a conference, it would likely be the ACC (already have an agreement to play 4-6 games each season against ACC teams, can't recall the exact number). Depending on which division they land in...

Same division as Clemson: They would have already played each other and one of them would have a loss (and be sitting at home this weekend)
Different division from Clemson: They'd be playing this weekend and one would not be going into the playoff on a win (or possibly going to the playoff at all). There's even the possibility they are not in the same division, play each other in the regular season, and then again in the CCG.

All of those scenarios make a huge difference in the modern-day playoff era as in the eyes of pollsters, those become "elimination games" unless you are an absolute juggernaut (like how Alabama losing this weekend might not knock them out of the playoff).

While they have a decent SOS (27 as @Bugeater points out), the season once again becomes a game of "who you don't play" to get into the playoff while having a minimum standard for quality. Throw in that ND is only playing 12 games (no CCG because no conference) while the other potential CFP teams are playing 13 (UCF's 11-game schedule plus CCG due to hurricane cancellation notwithstanding), that's one less opportunity for a loss against quality opponents.

I say this as a proponent of providing an objective path for each team to qualify for the playoff by winning their conference, just like every other NCAA sport. (I realize this could spur an entirely different conversation regarding the P5 breaking off and/or how big the field should be, who would host games, etc.)

Reactions: scarletred
I concede

Looks like I did exactly that.. can’t be happier for Milton..

But they will not win their bowl game this year..

Willing to wager on that?

I hope they get OU. Would love to see that game.

No, I won't wager with you, but I will put money on them at my offshore sports book.

I hope they get OU. Would love to see that game.

No, I won't wager with you, but I will put money on them at my offshore sports book.

Don’t you know anything the Big 12 champ that doesn’t make the playoffs goes to the Sugar Bowl.o_O

As of now OU will be in the playoffs..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT