ADVERTISEMENT

Very early season prediction thread

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Okay, so I am bored and I was looking at the schedule and guessing at what this season might be like. So I thought what the heck, why not start a prediction thread?
So many factors to consider. QB play. Offensive line improvement. Linebacker improvement. Better pass rush... So here goes:

@Minnesota: Loss. The Rhule era gets off to a rocky start. If this was not our first game and were it not on the road I would pencil this in the win column.
@CU: On the road and tons of fans will be in the stands with high emotion to see Deion's first game as coach. But we find a way to win.
Northern Illinois: A win. It better be and it will be. Rhule is not Mike Riley
La Tech: Same as above. No more Georgia Southerns. Rhule is not Scott Frost
Michigan: Loss. The talent gap is still too large.
@Illinois: Win. We should have beaten these turds last year.
Northwestern: Win. The Fitzgerald magic has worn off.
Purdue: Win. By this point in the season there will be momentum. Home game. We beat these guys.
@MSU: Win. MSU was really bad last year. Of course, so were we. But we always play very competitively against these guys. A solid road win
Maryland: Win. Home game and riding a four game win streak.
@Wisconsin: Win. I am tempted to predict a loss here. Mainly because Wisconsin has had our number since we joined the conference. I think we get some revenge here.
Iowa: WIN!!! And it won't be close this year.

As you can see, I am drinking the Rhule-Aid. I really think we are going to be a much improved team this year. And other than Michigan, there is not another team on our schedule that has more talent than we do. That is why I see a regular season at 10-2 with a trip to Indianapolis. Am I dreaming? Am I full of shit?

Okay, so I am bored and I was looking at the schedule and guessing at what this season might be like. So I thought what the heck, why not start a prediction thread?
So many factors to consider. QB play. Offensive line improvement. Linebacker improvement. Better pass rush... So here goes:

@Minnesota: Loss. The Rhule era gets off to a rocky start. If this was not our first game and were it not on the road I would pencil this in the win column.
@CU: On the road and tons of fans will be in the stands with high emotion to see Deion's first game as coach. But we find a way to win.
Purdue: Win. By this point in the season there will be momentum. Home game. We beat these guys.
@MSU: Win. MSU was really bad last year. Of course, so were we. But we always play very competitively against these guys. A solid road win
@Wisconsin: Win. I am tempted to predict a loss here. Mainly because Wisconsin has had our number since we joined the conference. I think we get some revenge here.

As you can see, I am drinking the Rhule-Aid. I really think we are going to be a much improved team this year. And other than Michigan, there is not another team on our schedule that has more talent than we do. That is why I see a regular season at 10-2 with a trip to Indianapolis. Am I dreaming? Am I full of shit?
https://www.giantbomb.com/a/uploads/scale_small/0/26/9976-koolaidman.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I'm happy to see expectations remain in their proper place for a blue blood

I agree whole heartedly, OP, and think any win total under 8 will be a profound disappointment
Yep!

I think one thing we as fans DO NOT WANT, is lowered expectations, once that happens (see Minny, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, MSU, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Northwestern) you start to have a fan base that is okay with crap records and even celebrates the elusive "7 win season".

4-8

Not because I don't believe in Rhule, but look at his track record. He never starts out great. I also haven't been a kool aid drinker for the last 9 years
this will be a popular opinion

here's something to think about when considering toeing this particular party line (from The Athletic):

There are few parallels to draw between Rhule’s first seasons at Temple and Baylor — which produced a total of three wins. He took over situations at both stops with more obstacles and problems deeper than what face him in Lincoln. The resources at Nebraska far exceed what Rhule inherited with the Owls and Bears, and he didn’t have the luxury to add 40-plus scholarship newcomers before coaching a game at those schools.

here's something to think about when considering toeing this particular party line (from The Athletic):

There are few parallels to draw between Rhule’s first seasons at Temple and Baylor — which produced a total of three wins. He took over situations at both stops with more obstacles and problems deeper than what face him in Lincoln. The resources at Nebraska far exceed what Rhule inherited with the Owls and Bears, and he didn’t have the luxury to add 40-plus scholarship newcomers before coaching a game at those schools.
I am telling you I am giving the man more than one year to decide if he is good or not

Reactions: BleedRed78

This

I can never predict the games before the season. On paper it's a 3 loss year. Gophers on the road is a tough start.

Offense could be really good if oline improves. 2 very good rbs and an experienced 3rd string. I think CT wins the qb battle but we'll need Sims too. TE could be a serious weapon. Lots of good options at WR.

More questions on D.

Last edited:
@Minnesota: Win - PJ owns Scott, won't own Coach Rhule.
@CU: Win - I'm torn because I think Deion is going to be better than anticipated at CU.
Northern Illinois: Win
La Tech: Win
Michigan: Loss. They will still run right at us.
@Illinois: Win. Their best RB is gone and he is who killed us.
Northwestern: Win. They are bad, and not seeming to get better.
Purdue: Win. Kind of an unknown, but I think we'll take them.
@MSU: Loss. Mel will find a bunch of transfers and have a decent team. We lay an egg on the road being ranked and too cocky.
Maryland: Win. Pretty close if TT is not hurt by then. They won't like the chill in the air.
@Wisconsin: Loss. Just have to prove otherwise. It's a loss until its not.
Iowa: Win. Baby Ferentz gone after the game after another horrible performance. Speed once again kills them.

Im drinking koolaid WITH vodka here, but honestly, the only team I think we lose to is Michigan, and I think we keep it close. All the rest will take their rightful seats behind us this year, Rhule gives a big ole FU to the past 20 years of underachievement and hits the ground running with a throat punch to Minnesota and never looks back. Im sick of waiting for the other shoe to drop. My thoughts until I am proven wrong. We should not be losing to these crappy programs.

Outside of Iowa, beating Fleck and Primetime are two of the top things I'm hoping to see next year, and we get them in the first two games. I don't see a fast start to this year nearly as critical as it was last year for Frost, but going 0-2 to start the year against those 2 coaches would still suck, no matter how you spin it.

you are a world class predicting analyst. just switch minne loss with a loss to illini.

Best case scenario we go 10-2 regular season. However, we will probably lose a couple of games that we shouldn't. I would say 8-4 most realistic scenario. 6-6 worst case scenario.

I did not know you were going to the Minnesota game. I hereby change my prediction. Pencil that sucker in as a win then...
Actually, I was going to start a separate thread on the Minnesota game. I'm not sure what Trev was thinking when he scheduled the VB game in Memorial with a concert afterward the night before the Minnesota game. I'm assuming the MN game will be in the evening, but man, going to the VB game, then Minnesota is a lot of activity in a 24 hour period.

Dreaming - Yes
FOS - no, according to recruiting and transfer rankings we do have better talent than 11 of 12.

What they look like in the spring game will help me form my season opinion.

Our current losing streaks, just to give us a sense of how far we have to go:
  • Minnesota — 4 games
  • Colorado — 2
  • Michigan — 3
  • Illinois — 3
  • Purdue — 2
  • Northwestern — 1
  • MSU — 1
  • Maryland — 0
  • Wisconsin — 9
  • Iowa — 0

• Sad
Reactions: Matrix Husker
Our current losing streaks, just to give us a sense of how far we have to go:
  • Minnesota — 4 games
  • Colorado — 2
  • Michigan — 3
  • Illinois — 3
  • Purdue — 2
  • Northwestern — 1
  • MSU — 1
  • Maryland — 0
  • Wisconsin — 9
  • Iowa — 0
Wisconsin is kind of like how Texass was for us when we were in the Big 12. We only beat them once just like we only beat Wisconsin once.

• Minnesota — W
  • Colorado — W
  • Michigan — L
  • Illinois — L
  • Purdue — W
  • Northwestern — W
  • MSU — W
  • Maryland — W
  • Wisconsin — W
  • Iowa — W
Here is a prediction - Dylan Raiola will commit to either Georgia or USC but before signing day he sees how great Nebraska is doing with just an average to slightly better than average QB and decides to switch his commitment to Nebraska and signs with the Huskers.

Minnesota: Loss, Tough game to open with a conference foe on the road. PJ's teams are always tough to beat. You have to get ahead on them early because they aren't built to play from behind. I think we could win but I'd give Minnesota the slight edge.
CU: Win, Colorado will be much improved but they were dreadful last year. It will take time for all of that talent Deion brought in to gel and Rhule will have our guys ready to go.
NIU: Win. Probably closer than we will want it to be but the talent we have will pull us away in the 2nd half
LA Tech: Win. Think this one is close for awhile too but we'll pull away in the end.
Michigan: Loss. I think we come out and surprise Michigan early. Harbaugh's teams are notorious slow starters. But they mount a comeback and win the Bussin' Bowl.
Illinois: Win, This will be a knock down drag out game. Bielema's teams are tough but he lost a lot last year with 5th and 6th year guys.
Northwestern: Win, Fitzgerald will always have a tough defense but the new B1G is making it painfully difficult for the Wildcats to compete.
Purdue: Win, I think their new coach is in way over his head. I don't think any B1G schools should be hiring 1st time head coaches any more.
MSU: Loss, I think Mel Tucker has a major rebound this year and they'll be a top 25 team
Maryland: Loss Locksley has quietly built a formidable team the past few years. Think they'll be a tough out
Wisconsin: Win I don't think Wisky realizes how hard a transition from Pro Style to Air Raid is. They don't have the talent at Receiver and Quarterback at the moment. Will really depend on if Leonhard can keep the defense going.
Iowa: Win Kirk and Brian are going to be on the hot seat at the end of next season. Their offense is going to be better but it won't be good next year.

I can't believe it but I think we could go 8-4. We could also very likely go 3-9. Wisconsin Iowa Minnesota Illinois Purdue will all be really close games. But that seems to be Rhule's specialty is winning close games so I'll say we go bowling and the Huskers are on the up and up.

7-5

and I am telling you why your opinion is as square as they come
Until I see it happen... I don't care how confident you are. Prove it on the field or STFU. That is how I was about Frost and that is how I will be before every year. Square or not that's how I am going to go about it

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT