ADVERTISEMENT

UCF making a push to keep Frost away from P5 schools

So the Oregon OC job is better than UCF and held in higher regard, but it's also not good enough to count towards getting a P5 HC job. And to do that, a lower position is needed. Despite the fact he passed over P5 head coaching jobs to come to UCF.

I wouldn't bother with that guy ... he is just saying stuff for the sake of saying stuff.

Reactions: ucfknight23
I personally don't want Frost as he's a plan B hire for me, but you UCF posters are straight up delusional. Get it through your heads now he's 100% gone. If not this year, the next. It may be Nebraska, but if not, somebody else. You can bet he's scouting programs right now that could be possible destinations in the future.
Ok? Nobody is expecting him to stay 10-15+ years. That just isn't the norm. Nowadays if you get to 4 years, it's considered a pretty solid tenure. So he stays here 3-4 years when people are begging he leave after 2? That's a solid run. The program will continue to attract national names when and if a position opens up.

And of course other positions are likely being "scouted." If you're not doing that even in a regular job, you're probably doing something wrong. This is a business. And things can change at the drop of the hat. Makes sense to be somewhat prepared to respond as needed.

Reactions: SPTKnight
So the Oregon OC job is better than UCF and held in higher regard, but it's also not good enough to count towards getting a P5 HC job. And to do that, a lower position is needed. Despite the fact he passed over P5 head coaching jobs to come to UCF.
Yep

Yeah because having the #1 offense in the country, a top 20 ranking, and the hottest coaching candidate in the world is a difficult position to recruit new coaches. Smh
You know who apparently has a hard time attracting good replacements? You
I was actually trying to be complimentary of UCF's effort to hang on to Frost, but you are apparently determined to be a complete asswipe regardless of what anyone says here.

Despite the fact he passed over P5 head coaching jobs to come to UCF.

You do understand that the P5 jobs he passed up were likely the bottom feeders of P5, right? Places where it would have taken a lot longer to build up an impressive resume against top competition. He likely took the UCF job so that he could build a winning resume faster, as he had a nice built-in recruiting base and would be playing much softer competition than at a bottom feeding P5 team. And he wanted to build up the resume quicker so that he could move on to a top P5 school that much quicker. He is using UF as a faster way to his ultimate goal, a top tier P5 job, whether Nebraska or somewhere else. UCF was a nice 'build up a resume fast and then get out of Dodge even faster' opportunity.

I am guessing the P5 jobs that he turned down are not the ones he wanted.
You do understand that the P5 jobs he passed up were likely the bottom feeders of P5, right? Places where it would have taken a lot longer to build up an impressive resume against top competition. He likely took the UCF job so that he could build a winning resume faster, as he had a nice built-in recruiting base and would be playing much softer competition than at a bottom feeding P5 team. And he wanted to build up the resume quicker so that he could move on to a top P5 school that much quicker. He is using UF as a faster way to his ultimate goal, a top tier P5 job, whether Nebraska or somewhere else. UCF was a nice 'build up a resume fast and then get out of Dodge even faster' opportunity.
This is the exact same thing Tom Herman did at Houston. Herman had one of the best coordinating jobs in the country at OSU, (you can argue the OC job at OSU is a better job than a lot of head coaching gigs) but he realized he had to prove he was a good head coach on his own, not just someone who worked under Urban Meyer. Herman had no intention of staying long term, thus he left for Texas. This is the same model that Frost is using at UCF. He won a National Championship as a player and coached in a title game at Oregon. As a competitor I am sure he wants the head coaching gig at a blue blood power five. Will he come back to Nebraska, who knows, but UCF fans better be ready for his departure sooner rather than later.

You'd have to schedule and beat teams like Florida State and Miami in the nonconference to have any chance.

Funny thing is, we have offered to play Florida State repeatedly over the last decade. They are always the ones who refuse to accept the offer. Gotta give Miami props. The Hurricanes were not scared to play a 1-for-1 with UCF a few years ago. We got Stanford coming in 2019 (I think) for the second half of a 1-for-1. We are working on finding a year to have Georgia Tech come to Orlando to replace the game that was cancelled by the hurricane this year. We will take a home-and home series with any P5 team you want to send our way.

Look, I'm a big fan of Scott Frost, but many people are already anointing him the 2nd coming of Urban Meyer or something.

In a year-and-a-half, he has only beaten one team with a winning record (Memphis). He went .500 last year and the 4 conference teams he beat had a combined 4 conference wins. He's mostly just beaten up on bottom-feeders so far. Meanwhile, Tom Herman beat a Top 5 Oklahoma team and a Top 5 Louisville team at Houston last year, as well as a Top 10 FSU team and Louisville on the road the year before.

If UCF can beat Navy, South Florida, and then a Top 10 P5 team in the bowl game, I'll be very impressed. But right now a lot of UCF fans are bragging about beating a bunch of nobodies.

Not so certain he wants to leave. According Orlando Sentinel, the University is trying to raise $1.5 million to fend off Power five schools from hiring Frost or raiding his assistants. Scott has personally made a contribution to the fund

Red I 73 gets it. Scott Frost may very well leave after this season. He may even go to Nebraska. But it is not the slam dunk conclusion that some delusional Husker fans seem to think it is. This doesn't have the look of a man who has both feet out the door ready to leave.

If UCF can beat Navy, South Florida, and then a Top 10 P5 team in the bowl game, I'll be very impressed. But right now a lot of UCF fans are bragging about beating a bunch of nobodies.

That's a valid point and UCF fans are thinking about that as well. But let's not pretend like every high ranked P5 team has played a difficult schedule either. Ohio State got beat decisively by Oklahoma and their wins have been over the following amazingly tough teams...Indiana, Army, UNLV, Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska. Color me unimpressed with those victories.

Harry Caray....great post. I DO think Scott Frost kind of has 'it' and will make a great HC at a power 5 school. That is MY opinion, though. It does not mean that it will be the opinion of Bill Moos. If it's not, fine.....as long as we start to be competitive again.

UCF fans rolling in here acting like they already have a program that will soon be considered for a P5 bid are hilarious. While, SF has done a nice job with your turnaround, he's not the only up and coming young hc that NU could find success with.

Also, you guys acting as if SF would not leave UCF for NU if he is offered the job are delusional. That is a fact. You guys had better hope that NU decides to go in another direction....or you better hope that Tenn, Miss, and etc choose to go in another direction, also.

As I said....trust me. IF NU decides they want Frost as their next HC, you can pass the hat around like a kegger in high school all you want. It won't matter. NU can make it happen and Frost won't turn it down to stay at UCF.

Red I 73 gets it. Scott Frost may very well leave after this season. He may even go to Nebraska. But it is not the slam dunk conclusion that some delusional Husker fans seem to think it is. This doesn't have the look of a man who has both feet out the door ready to leave.

The only delusional fans are the UCF fans. Frost may love living in the Orlando area and he may very well want to stay put there for a few more years. Almost all NU fans will admit that this is not a slam dunk and Frost may turn us down... may turn a lot of people down ... to stay at UCF for a while longer. But if any UCF fan is harboring the illusion that Frost will stay long term at a non power 5 school, then it is they who are delusional.

And frankly, given the ups and downs of college football, Frost has to know, that if he finishes with a very strong record this year, that his stock may never be higher than it is now since his team might damn well regress next year. Because you never know... the injury bug can decimate you in Fall practice, 5 of your starters get arrested for rape... etc.... You never know.

So my hunch is Frost leaves this year for a power 5 school. And the fact he is soliciting funds and donating money himself means absolutely nothing. It just means he believes in UCF football and wants to leave it in great shape, even if he leaves... which he will at some point.

Reactions: headcard
I know Nebraska is a shadow of its former self. But even our shadow is more impressive than the entirety of UCF football as it now stands. Ditto for a team like Tennessee. UCF has a long ways to go before it thinks it can go toe to toe with a blue blood program for the services of top notch coaches.

Last edited:
I believe that there is atleast a 50%-50% chance that Scott Frost will remain with UCF at the end of this season regardless of which schools come calling.
I agree there is a good chance he is at UCF next year, but not regardless of who comes calling. That's crazy. There are about five potential openings that he would probably jump at and if none come open or none offer him, I'm sure he will stay.

The funny thing about this whole conversation is ....

Husker fans are acting like UCF fans think Frost will stay forever ... when we know that isn't the truth.

UCF fans are acting like Husker fans think it is guaranteed that Frost will leave for Nebraska .... when most of us know that isn't the truth either. (the rational thinking ones).

If Frost is who we want, he'll be able to buy his wife a huge vacation house in Orlando and anywhere else she wants. And I'm sure the Hawks family will be happy to fly them down there on their private jet.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I was actually trying to be complimentary of UCF's effort to hang on to Frost, but you are apparently determined to be a complete asswipe regardless of what anyone says here.
It seemed like a backhanded compliment to me. Good luck the rest of the season.

I agree there is a good chance he is at UCF next year, but not regardless of who comes calling. That's crazy. There are about five potential openings that he would probably jump at and if none come open or none offer him, I'm sure he will stay.
I don't believe its Crazy at all. I believe he likes it where he is, and he is building HIS program from the ground up with limited Fan Expectations. And, both he and his wife, who is about to have their first baby, say they really like it at UCF. And he makes a Couple Million a year now, and is about to make more. He has a VERY nice situation right where he is. I am not saying he wouldn't accept an offer from a Household Name school, but do believe it is atleast a 50-50 chance he stays right where he is, regardless of the offers. And I also believe it will take more than just money to get him to move.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And people don't have to agree with me, but this is my opinion on Scott Frost.

I don't believe its Crazy at all. I believe he likes it where he is, and he is building HIS program from the ground up with limited Fan Expectations. And, both he and his wife, who is about to have their first baby, say they really like it at UCF. And he makes a Couple Million a year now, and is about to make more. He has a VERY nice situation right where he is. I am not saying he wouldn't accept an offer from a Household Name school, but do believe it is atleast a 50-50 chance he stays right where he is, regardless of the offers. And I also believe it will take more than just money to get him to move.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. And people don't have to agree with me, but this is my opinion on Scott Frost.
Good post. But the million dollar question is this: how ambitious is Scott Frost with regard to his coaching career? If he has little ambition and just wants a safe and secure school where he can pocket millions while raising his kids in sunny Florida then he will stay. But if he is ambitious (and I think he is) he views his current job as a stepping stone and not a destination. And as I said elsewhere, Frost has to know that his stock as a head coach for a blue blood power 5 team may never be higher than it is right now. The iron is hot NOW.
If a blue blood P5 team offers Frost millions, he will leave UCF in a heartbeat.

I remember when Nick Saban said he was not going to be the coach at Alabama. (December 21, 2006) Well he ended up at Alabama. So no one should ever take coach speak for the truth. All coaches will say that they are going to be back, until they are gone. They are recruiting high school kids. If they told recruits that they had no intention of being there the following year, then who would commit to them.

Good post. But the million dollar question is this: how ambitious is Scott Frost with regard to his coaching career? If he has little ambition and just wants a safe and secure school where he can pocket millions while raising his kids in sunny Florida then he will stay. But if he is ambitious (and I think he is) he views his current job as a stepping stone and not a destination. And as I said elsewhere, Frost has to know that his stock as a head coach for a blue blood power 5 team may never be higher than it is right now. The iron is hot NOW.
If a blue blood P5 team offers Frost millions, he will leave UCF in a heartbeat.
And if he and his wife came out and said they hate living in the Orlando area, then people would view him as uncommitted long term to the university.

I remember when Nick Saban said he was not going to be the coach at Alabama. (December 21, 2006) Well he ended up at Alabama. So no one should ever take coach speak for the truth. All coaches will say that they are going to be back, until they are gone. They are recruiting high school kids. If they told recruits that they had no intention of being there the following year, then who would commit to them.
Exactly. If you are Frost you know that so far NU has not fired Riley or Tennessee Davis. And no school has yet offered him squat and may not. So of course you keep saying and doing all the right things

Scott Frost is 10x the man that Nick Saban is. We can agree on that right?

Frost has an undefeated season going - of course he's going to talk about how much he loves and wants to stay at UCF. The last thing he wants is his players getting distracted because they think he's leaving, and end up losing a couple of games here. I'm sure that's why he told Tony Dungy to say what he did.

In the end, a man is only as faithful as his options.

It seemed like a backhanded compliment to me. Good luck the rest of the season.
Not intended that way at all. I do think Frost will leave UCF for a Power 5 school - if not Nebraska, then one of his other likely suitors. But if UCF makes a strong effort to keep him, that still speaks well of the program and other prospective coaches will take notice.

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
The only delusional fans are the UCF fans. Frost may love living in the Orlando area and he may very well want to stay put there for a few more years. Almost all NU fans will admit that this is not a slam dunk and Frost may turn us down... may turn a lot of people down ... to stay at UCF for a while longer. But if any UCF fan is harboring the illusion that Frost will stay long term at a non power 5 school, then it is they who are delusional.

And frankly, given the ups and downs of college football, Frost has to know, that if he finishes with a very strong record this year, that his stock may never be higher than it is now since his team might damn well regress next year. Because you never know... the injury bug can decimate you in Fall practice, 5 of your starters get arrested for rape... etc.... You never know.

So my hunch is Frost leaves this year for a power 5 school. And the fact he is soliciting funds and donating money himself means absolutely nothing. It just means he believes in UCF football and wants to leave it in great shape, even if he leaves... which he will at some point.
There are plenty in here saying exactly the opposite. That NU can do what they want, get who they want, any they will say yes. And if they don't, well, it means NU didn't really want them anyway. I think the fact that someone like Riley was hired anyway - from a mediocre to bottom tier P5 OSUw program shows that just may not be the case anymore.

And a coaching leaving at some point? Ok, welcome to modern college football? We'll see assuming Riley is let go at the end of the year and Frost is called up if he starts working on a new red themed wardrobe, though.

There are plenty in here saying exactly the opposite. That NU can do what they want, get who they want, any they will say yes. And if they don't, well, it means NU didn't really want them anyway. I think the fact that someone like Riley was hired anyway - from a mediocre to bottom tier P5 OSUw program shows that just may not be the case anymore.

And a coaching leaving at some point? Ok, welcome to modern college football? We'll see assuming Riley is let go at the end of the year and Frost is called up if he starts working on a new red themed wardrobe, though.

Not true. The only person that "plenty in here" are saying that NU could get if they wanted is Scott Frost. That is much different than "plenty in here" saying that NU can do what they want, get who they want and they will say yes.

The rest of your comment is just you acting out like a little brother who knows that if the big brother want your candy he will take it.

I don't believe its Crazy at all. I believe he likes it where he is, and he is building HIS program from the ground up with limited Fan Expectations. And, both he and his wife, who is about to have their first baby, say they really like it at UCF...

Finally...another Husker fan who actually gets it.

I really don't see where the rest of you are getting the idea that we expect Scott Frost to stay around FOREVER. I think I have seen ONE UCF fan suggest anything remotely close to that. The rest of us admit he will move on eventually...maybe as soon as after next year. We just don't think it will be this year.

Finally...another Husker fan who actually gets it.

I really don't see where the rest of you are getting the idea that we expect Scott Frost to stay around FOREVER. I think I have seen ONE UCF fan suggest anything remotely close to that. The rest of us admit he will move on eventually...maybe as soon as after next year. We just don't think it will be this year.

The problem with that line of thinking is that, while big jobs open every year, the job at your alma mater doesn't. If Frost says no to Nebraska this year, and if Nebraska is his "dream job", he may not get another opportunity to be the head coach at Nebraska.

I am sure Dabo Swinney's dream job is Alabama. If Saban retires after this year, and Swinney says no because he isn't done at Clemson, the odds of him ever coaching Alabama are probably gone.

There are plenty in here saying exactly the opposite. That NU can do what they want, get who they want, any they will say yes. And if they don't, well, it means NU didn't really want them anyway.

I don't believe that any lucid Nebraska fan thinks that way. There are exactly zero Nebraska fans that have posted that in here.

Last edited:
I will admit, if he stays at UCF I will assume Nebraska didn't offer him. Not only is Nebraska a job 99% of coaches leave UCF for, it is his home state and it is the school he played QB for and won a National Championship at (while RS on another NC team). I understand why it would make sense for him to stay at UCF another year, but you have a take opportunities when they present themselves and this might be his only chance to get this job.

You guys got your coach from Oregon State. That should tell you exactly where Nebraska is as a program right now.

Your perspective of what Nebraska is and what Nebraska actually is are way different. Sorry bud.

Because he took his ball and went home. Just like Paul Myers. Now TO taking his cute shots in the media toward the current regime.
Look, it sucked that Blo turned put to be a sub-himan bag of shit. But that's what he was. It's fine that you love him. But even Osborne admitted he may have not been right for the job.
Now back to the discussion, stalker.
It's a message board. You should expect somebody to respond when you post stupid stuff. You, more than anybody, should know that.

He took his ball and went home? You mean he retired. And you are upset about him not coming back to bail out your failed coach? He is retired, genius. It's not his fault your boy sucks.

I don't care about the former coach, I just pointed out you were making stuff up, which you do and gave you a chance to substantiate it, which you can't, of course.

Because, as I said, you are full of BS.

Reactions: YouGotSwatted!
You guys got your coach from Oregon State. That should tell you exactly where Nebraska is as a program right now.

Your perspective of what Nebraska is and what Nebraska actually is are way different. Sorry bud.
We got Riley because that's who the former AD wanted, he didn't even do a search. I'm sorry it hurts your feelings that you might lose your coach, but you just sound ignorant right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT