ADVERTISEMENT

UCF making a push to keep Frost away from P5 schools

Like I said, Florida/Florida State/Miami already own that media market. Adding UCF would add nothing of additional value.
That hasn't been true this decade. UCF already overtook Miami as the #3 team state-wide, and we're the #1 college football team in Orlando (and blew way past the Magic years ago among any sports teams).

It's getting more and more humorous to see UCF gear at UF and, this year, even FSU games.

Sure, UCF fans are not even half of Orlando, and the Big 3 -- together (not individually) -- still compromise over 50% total. But UCF is the team more Orlandoians state is their first team, more than any other, as of the 2010s. And that's before including people who consider UCF their 2nd team, especially FSU and Miami fans.

In fact, it's why Orlando media subscriber and viewership is way down. Snubbing UCF may have been popular in the US media the previous 3 decades, but it is no longer. Backhanded arrogance by local sportscasters quickly get a very public rebuke.

Arrogance and assumptions are just as dangerous in Nebraska as in front of the TV here in Orlando. BTW, Orlando + Tampa is the #4 largest dual-city media market, which is why the War on I-4 is growing -- especially with both UCF and USF ranked. It'll take another decade, but we're both huge schools continuing to pump out a lot of graduates.

By the 2030s, the dynamics inside of Florida will have changed -- especially since, unlike Miami (with FAU, FIU and Miami) -- we're in our own markets. USF just started a lot later than us, and it shows in their attendance -- let alone they have a pro football team, while Orlando is the largest city in the US without one.

We've been seeing it UCF recruiting rankings even well before O'Leary's departure. Frost has just kicked it up yet another notch. And then there's that "commuter budget" that is bigger than a number of P5 programs, but ... alas ... people don't want to believe it, so it must not be true.

There's a reason the failing Big 12 Conference rejected you.
You mean like the Big East as well?

Insert Pitt AD quote when they left the Big East after the conference turned down the ESPN TV deal ... and ended up holding out for far less money. ;)

The Big XII rejected everyone because adding any teams would dilute the existing TV deals per school. So any benefit from any school was going to cost all of them for the next 5-7 years, regardless of who they added.

The Big East rejected UCF all-sports because of USF + Catholic-7 (who, ironically, hated adding USF all-sports, despite UCF offering football-only, in 2004), despite being in the middle of negotiations, and ESPN stating ... simply ...

UCF's TV share was bigger than their conference average. Even Baylor and the Big XII learned that first-hand during the Fiesta Bowl too. UCF is unlike any other G5 sans Boise and ECU, but in a much bigger TV market than those 2.

SIDE NOTE: Only BYU and Army have a larger followings that are far better, revenue-wise, if we're going to look at independents, outside of Notre Dame, of course.

The Big XII won't expand until early next decade, at the earliest, because of the TV deals. But when they happen, ESPN is going to put it to the Big XII ... just like they did the Big East. UCF becomes the no-brainer push for ESPN, just like before.

That all aside ...
Yes, Frost will likely leave UCF, but only when the timing and opportunity is right.

I want Frost to do what's best for him and his family. If that means Nebraska, so be it.

But no offense, but your school's "loyalty" is nothing compared to ours. I'm scared how poorly you guys will reward his eventual return, especially if he has issues recruiting overnight -- unlike what he was able to do at UCF, in the top G5 conference, in the heart of Florida.

Right now, if I'm Frost, I'm looking at UCF's Hitt v. the musical chairs of Nebraska, and saying, "I've got a new wife, newborn, and I like being home every night after a recruiting run. I'm 42 and I can wait a few more years for now. I'll wait for Nebraska to learn some loyalty."

But keep up with that "commuter school" commentary.

It's served the Orlando Sentinel very well too (NOT!). I mean, their lowest subscriber base is also UCF's largest season ticket holder base. And even Miami attendance average hasn't matched UCF's for a long, long time. But people are free to assume otherwise. In fact, we Knights know they will ... right to slitting their own throats, as they have been so far.

Just as sure as we know the various personalities who give us backhanded comments every time we're ranked, and always put their "max confidence points" on other teams we play.

Last edited:
Just imagine who he will be able to recruit to Lincoln....
Actually, several analysts are at the point that a bottom half P5 program is less desirable than a top half AAC program, for a head coach.

That's because the AAC continues to catapult its head coaches to the head coaching jobs at top P5 programs within 2-3 years.

From May (before UCF's current success): http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...erence-become-breeding-ground-power-5-coaches

And now (during UCF's current success): https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...bbb464-af5b-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html

Which is why more than one analyst has said UCF is a better job right now. McShay at CBS being the latest to say that, much to shock, but others then weigh in on why too.

Now Nebraska is still Frost's Alma Mater. That's a powerful tie. But given the turnover and lack of loyalty at Nebraska, especially compared to UCF's to O'Leary, it would scare me.

That plus I'd have to go back to recruiting Texas for more local, and deal with the long journeys to Florida.

Right now UF has been down several years, and both FSU and Miami have been a mixed bag. It's why UCF and USF are pulling in the best G5 classes, and even better than some P5s.

If I'm Frost, still young at 42, with a new wife and newborn, and the spouses and assistants talk about how they love Florida and being home every night after recruiting ... it's a very, very tough move to Nebraska ... for now.

Eventually I do think Frost will return to Nebraska. But I don't see it in 2018. I could be wrong. And it's going to cost Nebraska to get him to do it too.

Keep in mind that Frost is winning recruits that have offers from even good P5 programs ... including a few in Florida too. UCF and USF are no longer just getting "the leftovers" that Florida, FSU and Miami didn't want. That's something not even Davis and Kiffin, or others before them, have been able to do at FIU and FAU.

Last edited:
Actually, several analysts are at the point that a bottom half P5 program is less desirable than a top half AAC program, for a head coach.

I agree with this. Which is why I don't see Frost leaving for anything other than top tier jobs like Nebraska, Tennessee, aTm, Florida, etc. He already passed on the Syracuse's of the world to go to UCF the first time, he's not going to leave UCF to go to a bottom half P5 program now. If the above jobs don't open up this year, or they take someone else, I'm sure he will stay. No way he moves on for jobs like Ole Miss, Iowa State, Oregon State. IMO

I agree with this. Which is why I don't see Frost leaving for anything other than top tier jobs like Nebraska, Tennessee, aTm, Florida, etc. He already passed on the Syracuse's of the world to go to UCF the first time, he's not going to leave UCF to go to a bottom half P5 program now. If the above jobs don't open up this year, or they take someone else, I'm sure he will stay. No way he moves on for jobs like Ole Miss, Iowa State, Oregon State. IMO
If we asked an Gator fan, do you think they would call the Gators a bottom half P5 and the Cornhuskers a top half P5?

I think the main difference is one's Alma Mater here. But I really fear Frost's tenure at Nebraska if he doesn't deliver within a couple of years. Many here aren't thinking about that, but if I'm Frost, that's what scares me most.

Whereas Hitt kept George O'Leary around for nearly a dozen years, despite lots of "yo-yo'ing" until 2009-2014.

If we asked an Gator fan, do you think they would call the Gators a bottom half P5 and the Cornhuskers a top half P5?

I think the main difference is one's Alma Mater here. But I really fear Frost's tenure at Nebraska if he doesn't deliver within a couple of years. Many here aren't thinking about that, but if I'm Frost, that's what scares me most.

Whereas Hitt kept George O'Leary around for nearly a dozen years, despite lots of "yo-yo'ing" until 2009-2014.

I would guess the average Gator fan would agree that both jobs are top half P5. What is delivering? At this point..winning the West division would be a huge step forward. Nobody is saying Frost would have to come in and win a National Title right away. Hell, this year most expected 8-9 wins out of Riley and saw that as an improvement. People think that there are some outlandish expectations in place but in reality most Husker fans just want to compete against good teams and not look like a giant Riley turd.

Frost wouldn't have to come in here and light the world on fire right off. He would be inheriting a 4-5 win team, not a 9 win team.

I think most Nebraska fans recognize where this program is at and Frost is probably the candidate that would be given the most leeway in getting this thing back afloat.

He'd have to come in here and show that he can coach a team to play sound, fundamental football -- something that hasn't happened here since at least the Solich era.

Reactions: HuskerDana

That's because the AAC continues to catapult its head coaches to the head coaching jobs at top P5 programs within 2-3 years.

From May (before UCF's current success): http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...erence-become-breeding-ground-power-5-coaches

And now (during UCF's current success): https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...bbb464-af5b-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html

Which is why more than one analyst has said UCF is a better job right now. McShay at CBS being the latest to say that, much to shock, but others then weigh in on why too.

Now Nebraska is still Frost's Alma Mater. That's a powerful tie. But given the turnover and lack of loyalty at Nebraska, especially compared to UCF's to O'Leary, it would scare me.

That plus I'd have to go back to recruiting Texas for more local, and deal with the long journeys to Florida.

Right now UF has been down several years, and both FSU and Miami have been a mixed bag. It's why UCF and USF are pulling in the best G5 classes, and even better than some P5s.

If I'm Frost, still young at 42, with a new wife and newborn, and the spouses and assistants talk about how they love Florida and being home every night after recruiting ... it's a very, very tough move to Nebraska ... for now.

Eventually I do think Frost will return to Nebraska. But I don't see it in 2018. I could be wrong. And it's going to cost Nebraska to get him to do it too.

Keep in mind that Frost is winning recruits that have offers from even good P5 programs ... including a few in Florida too. UCF and USF are no longer just getting "the leftovers" that Florida, FSU and Miami didn't want. That's something not even Davis and Kiffin, or others before them, have been able to do at FIU and FAU.

Of course they are. It's easier to win and is a STEPPING STONE job.

I listed both as top half p5 jobs. I'm sure all CFB fans would consider both top half jobs, if not Top 20. Those are the kinds of jobs I think Frost will leave for, otherwise I'm sure he will stay at UCF until one of those jobs becomes available.

Reactions: Husker-NJ
Frost wouldn't have to come in here and light the world on fire right off. He would be inheriting a 4-5 win team, not a 9 win team.

I think most Nebraska fans recognize where this program is at and Frost is probably the candidate that would be given the most leeway in getting this thing back afloat.

He'd have to come in here and show that he can coach a team to play sound, fundamental football -- something that hasn't happened here since at least the Solich era.

Eventually the pressure would be on Frost. Even if he consistently gets to Indianapolis, the big red nation will expect titles like the Florida Gators.

Think he will leave UCF with Frost?
if he never signs with UCF he won't go to Nebraska, I'll ban bet on that one

He'll end up at NC State, Miami, or somewhere else in the SE. Frost hasn't been in Florida long enough to have that much pull to get these kids to Nebraska

He'll end up at NC State, Miami, or somewhere else in the SE. Frost hasn't been in Florida long enough to have that much pull to get these kids to Nebraska
Probably true. We could never just swoop in and take commits from UCF like Kevin Maurice and Sedrick King.

Wait. You have a problem with non UCF fans coming and trying to have a discussion on your board, but you're on the Nebraska board provoking ban bets? Lol what a hypocrite.

Reactions: headcard
If Scott Frost really is the honorable man you think he is, I doubt he will abandon a program two years into developing UCF into what he thinks it can become.

You know who apparently has a hard time attracting good replacements?

If you think your school is a desirable job for a good young coach, you are mistaken.

it just won't be Scott Frost.

He is not going to Nebraska. Period. When he leaves it will be for UF, UCLA, USC, maybe aTm but probably not, etc.

Nebraska. One of Frost's big mentors just like Osborne.

He's come to UCF to build and rebuild something. He's not close to done yet. He may very well go to a bigger school in time. But I doubt it's Nebraska

And SF picked UCF because of the recruiting advantages. He'll do the same with his next job

Now all of a sudden Tony isn't connected and has no clue with respect to Frost. Ok.

We're just trying to help you all deal with the disappointment when SF says no.

He may leave eventually, but it may not be as soon as you assume. And it may not be for the school you're hoping for.

UCF is job security for Frost.

Simply that he may not be leaving as soon as and where many are hoping in here.

We're supposed to believe that "coacDubs", a guy typing on a message board knows more about SF's recruitment and recommendations than Dungy who is a trusted advisor and friend of SF? Yeah ok

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh

My favorite one

"He is not going to Nebraska. Period. When he leaves it will be for UF, UCLA, USC, maybe aTm but probably not, etc."

He is probably one of the UCF fans that hate Frost now. Oh well, that is what happens when you have your brain in LaLa Land!

Tony Dungy, the ultimate Scott Frost insider.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT