ADVERTISEMENT

This Offense

Not the point… it’s that WE’RE NOWHERE ON THIS F*CKING BOARD! The top talent, by the best metric that exists (name me a better one), don’t play for our team. And by all my means, keep on scrolling down the list. I have. It’ll be revealing to you.

Yeah yeah, I know the point. The point with Sanders is that if we'd have hired him, the NIL money would follow. Sort of a chicken and egg situation there. He brings the talent and then they get the NIL money. They get the money because he brings the talent. Another one of many indicators that we whiffed big time when we didn't hire him.

Anyway, I digress. I realize it doesn't work that way with most other situations...at least not to that extent. But it does to some extent. Guys like Caleb Williams didn't come to USC with that valuation. He's worked up to it. That's the case with most other players on that list. As is evidenced by the fact that there are only 15 freshmen in the top 100.

Using that list, you have to figure outside of the top 15 recruits in the country, the highest NIL value possible is less than $490K. You sure we aren't paying anyone somewhere in that neighborhood? I don't know, but it does offer a little perspective to the argument.

That said, I agree with you. We CLEARLY have a talent problem. One of the things Rhule said in the offseason was that he doesn't want players who are looking for NIL money (or something like that). It made me cringe so bad. I know he prides himself on finding diamond in the rough type players, but if the plan is to ride or die on that strategy so we don't have to, or can't, or don't want to pay NIL money, we are so fvcked.

College football has changed dramatically since Rhule last coached in college. He was in my top 3 choices, but I hope to God he wasn't hired because our inflated ego athletic department thinks he's the solution to getting out of having to play the NIL game. You know, because he'll just find undervalued talent that doesn't want money and develop them and they'll just want to come here AND stay here because we're Nebraska and by gawd we used to win stuff in the 90s.

Not saying that's the case, but if it is, it's not going to work.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Yeah yeah, I know the point. The point with Sanders is that if we'd have hired him, the NIL money would follow. Sort of a chicken and egg situation there. He brings the talent and then they get the NIL money. They get the money because he brings the talent. Another one of many indicators that we whiffed big time when we didn't hire him.

Anyway, I digress. I realize it doesn't work that way with most other situations...at least not to that extent. But it does to some extent. Guys like Caleb Williams didn't come to USC with that valuation. He's worked up to it. That's the case with most other players on that list. As is evidenced by the fact that there are only 15 freshmen in the top 100.

Using that list, you have to figure outside of the top 15 recruits in the country, the highest NIL value possible is less than $490K. You sure we aren't paying anyone somewhere in that neighborhood? I don't know, but it does offer a little perspective to the argument.

That said, I agree with you. We CLEARLY have a talent problem. One of the things Rhule said in the offseason was that he doesn't want players who are looking for NIL money (or something like that). It made me cringe so bad. I know he prides himself on finding diamond in the rough type players, but if the plan is to ride or die on that strategy so we don't have to, or can't, or don't want to pay NIL money, we are so fvcked.

College football has changed dramatically since Rhule last coached in college. He was in my top 3 choices, but I hope to God he wasn't hired because our inflated ego athletic department thinks he's the solution to getting out of having to play the NIL game. You know, because he'll just find undervalued talent that doesn't want money and develop them and they'll just want to come here AND stay here because we're Nebraska and by gawd we used to win stuff in the 90s.

Not saying that's the case, but if it is, it's not going to work.
If Rhule actually verbalized that he doesn’t want to obtain talent thru NIL, we’re f*cked, and that’s all there is to it.

If Rhule actually verbalized that he doesn’t want to obtain talent thru NIL, we’re f*cked, and that’s all there is to it.

I think this is what I'm remembering. Didn't really say he's completely out on it, but was a little dismissive of its importance if you ask me...

Reactions: king_kong_
Seems like he’s carrying thru on this.

We’re never gonna become dominant with this guy as our coach. We will ALWAYS have our asses handed to us by Michigan and comparable talent with his attitude.

Have already sold the remainder of this season’s tickets… will give it a year or two before being done permanently. This has become pretty tough to watch. What’s worse is knowing it ain’t gonna get any better with our present staff.

I think this is what I'm remembering. Didn't really say he's completely out on it, but was a little dismissive of its importance if you ask me...

SEC coaches talk openly about garnering money for their collectives. Smart vs Stoops just this week.

We should be competing against other teams who don’t spend money on their players. We don’t belong in the same league as the teams who do. It’s insane to think that we ever could, given Nebraska’s present ‘climate’.

SEC coaches talk openly about garnering money for their collectives. Smart vs Stoops just this week.

We should be competing against other teams who don’t spend money on their players. We don’t belong in the same league as the teams who do. It’s insane to think that we ever could, given Nebraska’s present ‘climate’.
You ever tire of whining so much?

• Love
Reactions: meo1960 and OzzyLvr
You ever tire of whining so much?
Not about this subject. It’s funny/sad how so many folks on here think we can still win without adapting to the reality that exists in college football. It can hit people square in the f*cking mouth, it’s so obvious, and they still will never admit that we need to pay our players. They’d rather watch an inferior team just out of principle. Stubbornly showing up to a Formula 1 race with their used Ford F150 and expecting to win. That’s actually a pretty good analogy…

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Not about this subject. It’s funny/sad how so many folks on here think we can still win without adapting to the reality that exists in college football. It can hit people square in the f*cking mouth, it’s so obvious, and they still will never admit that we need to pay our players. They’d rather watch an inferior team just out of principle. Stubbornly showing up to a Formula 1 race with their used Ford F150 and expecting to win. That’s actually a pretty good analogy…
I think you overlook that that's not the case.

The fact is that you're on a message board telling this to other fellow fans who have zero control over such things. The people you need to badger are Rhule, Trev, the board of regents, etc.

You could convince us all here and it wouldn't matter. So why keep crusading about the topic here? It's annoying. If you're giving up on the program, then just do it already.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think you overlook that that's not the case.

The fact is that you're on a message board telling this to other fellow fans who have zero control over such things. The people you need to badger are Rhule, Trev, the board of regents, etc.

You could convince us all here and it wouldn't matter. So why keep crusading about the topic here? It's annoying. If you're giving up on the program, then just do it already.
if everyone here gave $20k to NIL it would make a big difference

Rhule, trev and the board of regents are barred from donating to NIL

what a dumb post

What elite talent would take big NIL money to go to the doormat NU was the last 3 years? Kids followed Deion and his son. Surprise. If you think we’re going to outbid Texas, OU and Ohio State for players, you need a reality check. Our alumni base is about a fourth of OSU, Texas and Michigan’s. Our wealthy booster base is even less

Reactions: OzzyLvr

Well they gonna have to spend in this day and age. Dabo was so stubborn and dead set against it. Now we gradually are seeing the effects of that. Even with a team like that who had been competing at the highest left aren't immune to it.

It's all about what u aspire to be. If you are serious about winning championships it's gonna take everything you have at your disposal. For us that still may not be enough but I do think we should exhaust every measure.

Is our fan base willing to support or push for that? Is the state itself ready for that? Would Trev and Matt be all n on that? All serious questions that will be had at some point.

I understand those who think it's an ugly game and they don't wanna play it. But end of the day if you have championship aspirations I'm afraid it's a necessary evil so to speak for some ( not me because I think players should've gotten paid a long time ago).

It is what it is tho...

Holla

Reactions: leodisflowers
What elite talent would take big NIL money to go to the doormat NU was the last 3 years? Kids followed Deion and his son. Surprise. If you think we’re going to outbid Texas, OU and Ohio State for players, you need a reality check. Our alumni base is about a fourth of OSU, Texas and Michigan’s. Our wealthy booster base is even less
point is that schools with comparable budgets are buying quality athletes. Colorado is comparable. Kentucky. UNC. Maryland. Florida State. Tennessee. Washington. No we’ll never be Texas or Michigan or tOSU, but we’re not even on the radar here.

point is that schools with comparable budgets are buying quality athletes. Colorado is comparable. Kentucky. UNC. Maryland. Florida State. Tennessee. Washington. No we’ll never be Texas or Michigan or tOSU, but we’re not even on the radar here.
Comparable NIL availability? I don’t think so.

It's all about what u aspire to be. If you are serious about winning championships it's gonna take everything you have at your disposal. For us that still may not be enough but I do think we should exhaust every measure.
^^^^ someone gets it.

Last edited:
Comparable NIL availability? I don’t think so.
We’re not a billionaire fanbase, but we’re certainly not broke, either. Have put hundreds of millions into facilities… the money for Improvement is there. They’re choosing not to, and it’s f*cking obvious…

We’re not a billionaire fanbase, but we’re certainly not broke, either. Have put hundreds of millions into facilities… the money for Improvement is there. They’re choosing not to, and it’s f*cking obvious…
bitch to the boosters then. It’s not Rhule’s or Trev’s fault. Most large donors want their name on bricks and mortar projects. It’s just the reality.

Reactions: BleedRed78
bitch to the boosters then. It’s not Rhule’s or Trev’s fault. Most large donors want their name on bricks and mortar projects. It’s just the reality.
….and they’re gonna bury us into obscurity. The problem certainly exists within our fanbase. Just trying to shine a little light on that.

….and they’re gonna bury us into obscurity. The problem certainly exists within our fanbase. Just trying to shine a little light on that.
Even CU had about a 30% larger student body than us and I guarantee you more wealthy people have attended CU and send their kids there.

No the offense is abysmal.

I love HH but he’s no Ganz. Ganz was also a gamer with intangibles to help save a husker offense. But that kid had qb skills.

HH is giving us minimum viable qb play. He could explode into Tebow or the bottom could drop out if some of these shouldas go the other way.

We just don’t know. IMO he’s going to need more than “intangibles “ to be viable at NU.
Joe made some pretty good boneheaded plays

Reactions: leodisflowers

I think the key here is use of the word "only". I don't think he is necessarily dismissive of its importance, just that he isn't interested in kids who are only (or perhaps primarily) interested in maximizing the NIL money.

Saw this on TOS:

1.) 3rd Down Opponent Conversion percentile; IN both 2014 and 2013, against conference opponents, Nebraska ranked in the top 10 nationally in stopping other conference teams on 3rd down. Since then the highest NU ranked was 32nd in 2015. At NO time since then has NU been ranked in the top 50 of teams in this rather important category. In 2016 we were 52nd, in 2017 we were 91st, 2018 19th, 2019 95th, 2020 67th, 2021 57th, 2022 54th, this year against conference opponents we are 90th. Why does this matter? Field position for one, time that the defense spends on the field for two, likelihood an opponents scores #3.

Fixing this factor against the rest of our opponents on our slate will likely decide if we go bowling or not.

2.) 3rd Down conversions for Nebraska: We've been bad at this since 2013 with only a few exceptions: 2015 where we were 26th in the nation in getting 3rd down conversions, and 2016 when we were 35th. Otherwise we have consistently been below the 60th rank in doing so with numerous seasons where we were in the 90th percentile. Currently we stand at 74th. The far to common reason for this problem is that bugaboo called penalties which we seem to be resplendent in acquiring on what would be a 3rd and short erstwhile, suddenly becoming 3rd and much harder, to impossible.

Again a critical factor to improve. Way to many times it has been play calling that has led to this failure, depending on what could only be described as phantasmagorical play calling rather than simply doing what we did in 2015; fullback dives from the I formation under center.

3.) Turnover Margin; It seems to most of us that we have been bad at this since Napoleon was an infant in Corsica. Since 2011, Nebraska has never been ranked in the top 50 of teams in turnover margin. That year we were 46th. With only 3 exceptions since then we have been ranked below the 100th mark in turnovers. In those 3 exceptions only twice were ranked in the 60th percentile.

Again, just as Matt mentioned this week in his press conference we have to get better. Currently we are ranked 120th in the nation versus conference opponents.

4.) Red Zone Conversion: Right now against conference opponents we are ranked 127th in the nation in scoring once in the Red Zone. We only score touchdowns 10% of the time when we are inside of the 20, and only successfully score FG's 30% of that time. It is a horrid record. We have never been this bad at something that we were consistently good at from 2013 to 2015. During that period, and since, we have never been this bad at it as we are currently, though from time to time we haven't been particularly respectable either. If you are inside the 20, one way or another you have to score at least 87.5% of the time to be in the top 50%, we are only doing it 40% of the time. You need to score touchdowns at least 64.5% of the time to be in the top 50.

We can’t convert on 3rd down or in the red zone because our line is the worst in the conference, maybe the country

The offense is a one man band

Last edited:
Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
This offense
-Has a GA @ best coaching WRs
-Has a 2nd year O-Line coach that shouldn’t even coach pop Warner
-A RB coach who should be a recruiting coordinator or some kind of analyst, not a coach
- A TE coach no one would hire to be a coach. Guy was teaching 10th grade Civics last year and he got the coaching job by default.

And before you criticize me. How am I wrong? And how’s it Ok to criticize young players but not people being paid lots of money and failing at their job?
This is well said. I’ll add an OC that hasn’t been successful at a single stop.

season 15 episode 22 GIF

Oh no you didn’t! You don’t make fun er Haarberg! You brought Cletus on yourself son.

lol. it could go no other way

I expect your reaction to this interaction will be at least a week's worth of veiled HH "joke" posts aimed indirectly at me in an attempt to save face with your fellow detractors

This is well said. I’ll add an OC that hasn’t been successful at a single stop.
Depends on your definition of "success".

Coaching career​

Satterfield worked as a graduate coach for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football staff from 1999 to 2000. He served as the Mocs' wide receivers coach for the 2001 season. In 2002, he joined the Tennessee Volunteers football staff as a graduate assistant, spending two seasons under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Randy Sanders.[5][6] After leaving UT, he spent one season coaching wide receivers at Richmond (2004), and one season coaching the same position at Western Carolina (2005).[1]

In 2006, Satterfield joined the University of Tennessee at Martin football staff as the Skyhawks' the passing game coordinator and running backs coach.[7] In 2007, the Skyhawks led the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) in total offense and points-per-game. In 2008, head coach Jason Simpson promoted Satterfield to associate head coach.[8] That year, the Skyhawks led the conference in scoring offense,[9] and finished 16th in the nation in total offense, with just over 405 yards-per-game.[10] Skyhawks quarterback Cade Thompson and wide receiver Mike Hicks, both of whom had been coached by Satterfield, were named to the 2008 All-OVC team.[9]

In January 2009, Satterfield was named offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga by the Mocs' new head coach, Russ Huesman (Satterfield and Huesman had previously worked together at Richmond in 2004). The Mocs' offense, which was one of the worst in Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) in 2008, substantially improved under Satterfield. In 2010, the Mocs, led by star quarterback B. J. Coleman, ranked third in the Southern Conference and 11th nationally in total offense (430 yards per game).[11]

Temple​

In December 2012, Satterfield joined the Temple University coaching staff that was being assembled by the Owls' newly hired head coach Matt Rhule. Rhule and Satterfield had both been assistants at Western Carolina during the 2005 season.[12] In January 2013, Nick Rolovich, who had been tapped as the Owls' new offensive coordinator, backed out of the job, and Rhule offered the position to Satterfield.[13]

Although Temple finished 2–10 during Satterfield's first year in 2013, the Owls' offense amassed nearly 400 yards per game, the most by a Temple squad since 1979.[1] The Owls' rushing attack finished third in the American Athletic Conference with 149.3 yards per game.[14]

Tennessee Tech​

On January 4, 2016, Satterfield was named head football coach at Tennessee Technological University. He replaced long-time coach Watson Brown, who had retired following the 2015 season.[15][16] Tennessee Tech finished the 2016 season 5–6 overall, and 5-3 in the Ohio Valley Conference, the team's first season with a winning conference record since 2011. The Golden Eagles capped the season with two strong wins over conference foes Tennessee State (44–16) and Murray State (55–19). Tennessee Tech fired Satterfield after just 2 seasons on November 19, 2017, following a 1–10 season and a last place finish in the Ohio Valley Conference.[17]

Baylor​

After serving three months as offensive coordinator at East Tennessee State, Satterfield was hired as tight ends coach by Matt Rhule at Baylor.[18]

Carolina Panthers​

In 2020, Satterfield followed Rhule to the Carolina Panthers, where he was named assistant offensive line coach.[19]

South Carolina​

On January 7, 2021, it was reported that Satterfield would join new head coach Shane Beamer's staff as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at South Carolina,[20] following the sudden departure of Mike Bobo to Auburn.[21] In his first season at South Carolina, the Gamecocks finished 7-6 despite starting four different quarterbacks over the course of the year.

Satterfield's 2021 offense finished the regular season ranked 116th in yardage and 109th in scoring despite regularly getting the football in favorable field position due to a much-improved defense that forced 23 turnovers to tie for 11th in the nation in takeaways. While injuries to quarterbacks were cited as a contributing factor to the unusually poor offensive production, many Gamecock fans and sports writers questioned Satterfield's game plans and play-calling. [22][23][24] [25]

In 2022, the Gamecocks finished the regular season 8-4, with the last two regular season games being wins over highly ranked rivals Tennessee and Clemson. The Gamecocks scored 30 or more points in 9 games for the first time in school history and broke numerous offensive production records in Satterfield’s final season.

Depends on your definition of "success".

Coaching career​

Satterfield worked as a graduate coach for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football staff from 1999 to 2000. He served as the Mocs' wide receivers coach for the 2001 season. In 2002, he joined the Tennessee Volunteers football staff as a graduate assistant, spending two seasons under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Randy Sanders.[5][6] After leaving UT, he spent one season coaching wide receivers at Richmond (2004), and one season coaching the same position at Western Carolina (2005).[1]

In 2006, Satterfield joined the University of Tennessee at Martin football staff as the Skyhawks' the passing game coordinator and running backs coach.[7] In 2007, the Skyhawks led the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) in total offense and points-per-game. In 2008, head coach Jason Simpson promoted Satterfield to associate head coach.[8] That year, the Skyhawks led the conference in scoring offense,[9] and finished 16th in the nation in total offense, with just over 405 yards-per-game.[10] Skyhawks quarterback Cade Thompson and wide receiver Mike Hicks, both of whom had been coached by Satterfield, were named to the 2008 All-OVC team.[9]

In January 2009, Satterfield was named offensive coordinator at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga by the Mocs' new head coach, Russ Huesman (Satterfield and Huesman had previously worked together at Richmond in 2004). The Mocs' offense, which was one of the worst in Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) in 2008, substantially improved under Satterfield. In 2010, the Mocs, led by star quarterback B. J. Coleman, ranked third in the Southern Conference and 11th nationally in total offense (430 yards per game).[11]

Temple​

In December 2012, Satterfield joined the Temple University coaching staff that was being assembled by the Owls' newly hired head coach Matt Rhule. Rhule and Satterfield had both been assistants at Western Carolina during the 2005 season.[12] In January 2013, Nick Rolovich, who had been tapped as the Owls' new offensive coordinator, backed out of the job, and Rhule offered the position to Satterfield.[13]

Although Temple finished 2–10 during Satterfield's first year in 2013, the Owls' offense amassed nearly 400 yards per game, the most by a Temple squad since 1979.[1] The Owls' rushing attack finished third in the American Athletic Conference with 149.3 yards per game.[14]

Tennessee Tech​

On January 4, 2016, Satterfield was named head football coach at Tennessee Technological University. He replaced long-time coach Watson Brown, who had retired following the 2015 season.[15][16] Tennessee Tech finished the 2016 season 5–6 overall, and 5-3 in the Ohio Valley Conference, the team's first season with a winning conference record since 2011. The Golden Eagles capped the season with two strong wins over conference foes Tennessee State (44–16) and Murray State (55–19). Tennessee Tech fired Satterfield after just 2 seasons on November 19, 2017, following a 1–10 season and a last place finish in the Ohio Valley Conference.[17]

Baylor​

After serving three months as offensive coordinator at East Tennessee State, Satterfield was hired as tight ends coach by Matt Rhule at Baylor.[18]

Carolina Panthers​

In 2020, Satterfield followed Rhule to the Carolina Panthers, where he was named assistant offensive line coach.[19]

South Carolina​

On January 7, 2021, it was reported that Satterfield would join new head coach Shane Beamer's staff as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at South Carolina,[20] following the sudden departure of Mike Bobo to Auburn.[21] In his first season at South Carolina, the Gamecocks finished 7-6 despite starting four different quarterbacks over the course of the year.

Satterfield's 2021 offense finished the regular season ranked 116th in yardage and 109th in scoring despite regularly getting the football in favorable field position due to a much-improved defense that forced 23 turnovers to tie for 11th in the nation in takeaways. While injuries to quarterbacks were cited as a contributing factor to the unusually poor offensive production, many Gamecock fans and sports writers questioned Satterfield's game plans and play-calling. [22][23][24] [25]

In 2022, the Gamecocks finished the regular season 8-4, with the last two regular season games being wins over highly ranked rivals Tennessee and Clemson. The Gamecocks scored 30 or more points in 9 games for the first time in school history and broke numerous offensive production records in Satterfield’s final season.
Well, much like Rhule clearly had his hands on the offense the last game, I’m told by many friends that are SC alums that Beamer called the plays against Tennessee and Clemson. Satterfield was run out of town. I recognize that is hearsay, but with the budget Rhule was given I hoped he’d bring in someone more qualified.

Good luck. NU has largely been filled with students from lower middle class families for decades. Many if not most of the wealthier residents send their kids to Creighton and other private universities.
isn't the point of higher education to produce grads who do better than the previous generation?

huge boosters don't come from generational wealth. they're largely self-made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT