ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Search This is where I am with regards to the coaching search and potential candidates.

Chance’s are that if we hire a current HC from another school they’ll bring the majority of their staff with them. It’s what they do. They want people around them that they know and trust.

Whoever is hired, better be of the understanding that flipping a large portion of this roster should be Step 1. NU simply has too many position groups where the talent is lacking, or has had 2-3-4 years to develop but is filled with a bunch of sub-P5 players.

This is like taking over a roster of .200 hitters in baseball with no power. No coach is going to be able to come in and make them a .275-hitting team with 100 homers. You have to have the raw material in enough position groups to at least be competitive with your competition.

This is going to be a big job, and the current roster lacks talent in so many ways. You can only coach and develop so many kids. Some kids are just what they are.
Well, there likely is going to be a lot of roster turnover once the new coach and staff become known. That's inevitable and who knows what schemes will be incorporated. However, a lot of the roster also is young or recently transferred in so I believe they still could be developed. I don't believe most of them are without talent, I believe most of them haven't been properly developed or utilized. So it's possible the right new coach/staff could still work wonders with many of them. But of course you do need a coach/staff that has the know how to do that. And if we don't get that type of coach it's not going to make much difference if the roster is turned over.

Nebraska head coach Tom Osborne was diplomatic after the game. Discussing the Buffs’ switch to a more pass-oriented offense: “There’s always a temptation to say I told you so …. But for this locale, this climate, I think you’ve got to be able to jam it at people sometimes.”

https://www.cuatthegame.com/1992/8-nebraska-the-halloween-massacre/

good thing we had a modern passing game in that wind yesterday. Couldn't beat the worst Wisconsin team in 20 years and they own us.

I remember Callahan ran the ball a lot and notched some W's not going away from it.

Reactions: WHCSC
I'll take Kiffen who adapts his offense to his current talent. He would know you have to run the ball with having a passing game here. 700 yards, 463 on the ground in a loss yesterday. Mind boggling. Probably disqualified with the fan base we have.

I'll take Kiffen who adapts his offense to his current talent. He would know you have to run the ball with having a passing game here. 700 yards, 463 on the ground in a loss yesterday. Mind boggling. Probably disqualified with the fan base we have.
Not me he’d be one of the top two home run hires on my list..

Reactions: WHCSC and Bruce1981
I agree.

Partially why I like Hugh Freeze.

Freeze can recruit the south. He's from the south he played in the south hes only coached in the south, but he's at a place where I believe he's attainable one way or another. He could talk to any recruit about winning and his offense is modern.

He has this knack for winning. For getting the most out of the players he has and adding the pieces he needs. His players seem to develop well and respond to his leadership. Everywhere he goes.

Nebraska makes enough money to pay for 10 of the highest paid coach in America at the same time. Holding back 2 or 3 mil a year because Nebraska wants to "save money"....on 100 million a freaking year just in TV revenue is really idiotic.

Chance’s are that if we hire a current HC from another school they’ll bring the majority of their staff with them. It’s what they do. They want people around them that they know and trust.
That’s what concerns me on the defensive side if it’s Leipold. I’ve watched several of their games and they look pretty matador to me, even in terms of effort.

I am frustrated with the direction this is headed. I simply do not understand why Nebraska always has to go cheap with coaching hires or feels the need to have any sort of “Midwest” or “Nebraska” connection.

These hires come in with preconceived ideas of what you need to do to be successful at Nebraska. Usually we end up with a coach that is already conservative or turns conservative because of pressure from past success. As if that is the only way to win football games. One exception was Bill Callahan and even he hired at least 2 guys with connections to the past and was forced out after Osborne was hired as AD.

At this point, my belief is that we need to go completely outside the family and hire a coach that is just going to do it his way. With that said, I would hire a guy with connection to the states of Texas, California or the SE and a guy who isn’t afraid to sell a vision to top recruits instead of waiting for the leftovers. A coach that will hire a DC that coaches aggressive defense and an OC that will put out a balanced offense that is exciting enough to attract top level QBs and WR as well as RBs.

The desire of some of the fans to hire a coach that will simply get us back to relevancy is short sighted. As much as I want to go to bowl games and play in meaningful games in November, I have no desire to be Iowa or Wisconsin as an end goal.

Sorry for the long post. Just needed to get that off my chest.
In a way, this is what we have had the last 20 years.. people doing it their way, and failing.

I could not disagree more with your post unfortunately, but I usually like your posts.

Except for Solich, we have not gone back to the formula that actually has been proven to work here. We have gotten to see first hand how Wisconsin used that formula, at least to be successful enough to play in a couple of conference championships, and they have been nothing like the Big Red of Tom's era.

I think every coach that has come in here has tried to do it his own way, and the one guy that they tried to force into doing it the Nebraska way, actually won 9 games a season minimum in Bo.

So to me, it's really crystal clear that they should find somebody that wants to copy the success we have had here, not reinvent the wheel with the next fancy scheme of the day.

You got to win 9-10 first before you can start to compete for conference championships and playoff bids.
So you hire a coach that can get you to compete for CFP berths and that coach will inevitably get you to 9-10 wins first. You don’t hire a coach who has no history of P5 conference titles and expect them to not only get to 9 -10 wins but also get through a ceiling they have never even approached.

So you hire a coach that can get you to compete for CFP berths and that coach will inevitably get you to 9-10 wins first. You don’t hire a coach who has no history of P5 conference titles and expect them to not only get to 9 -10 wins but also get through a ceiling they have never even approached.
Yup, previous track record MATTERS!

so...WHO OP? WHO?

There have been a ton of names floating out there, a lot more than what you've listed, and you didn't list some of the big names tossed out their either.

So who do you want? It seems like you are just setting yourself up to be mad no matter who it is. You can't go throwing stones if you don't have any ideas of your own.

And no fanbase from any blue blood would have gotten behind mike riley. Gimme a break. He sucked ass and was a terrible hire and it didn't take a Nebraska fan to know that.

Bill Callahan sucked too, more than just his defense. He was the head coach, it fell on him. He didn't do near enough with those recruits.

Like you said scott frost we pretty much had to.

I don't know what Trev is going to do, but I doubt he'll be cheap.

Monken from Georgia would certainly have connections to the SE. I've seen both Monken's talked about. Just an example of one of the many names floating around.

I'll also point out again that at one time you would have called Nick Saban the exact kind of hire you are already complaining about.

This isn't about me being critical Lincoln. It's about critiquing any poster's thoughts and suggesting why they have a thought pattern that isn't correct or won't work. There's nothing wrong with that, but along those lines, offer an alternative solution.

I've had plenty of guys who have disagreed with me over the last 14 months, and that hasn't, nor will it, slow me down in making suggestions or comments that I believe apply.

None of us are establishing anything that would be accepted by those making the actual hiring decisions. We all are entitled to our opinions on what we think will work the best moving forward.

I don't agree with them any more than they agree with me. But, I do like the idea when a member throws out an opposing viewpoint.

In all likelihood, all of us may be wrong. We wouldn't know for 2-3 years anyway.

Hell, I give all the posters the benefit of the doubt until they just show themselves as being a troll or someone who just wants to pull people's chains. Then I just put them on Ignore, I'd much rather read viewpoints I disagree with, but at least have a basis of common sense.
There is no "alternative solutuion." Tuco's statement is wrong, period. He states we have a long history of being cheap and requiring husker connections as being tied to our head coach. I stated, clearly, why I thought he was wrong. Understand?

There is no "alternative solutuion." Tuco's statement is wrong, period. He states we have a long history of being cheap and requiring husker connections as being tied to our head coach. I stated, clearly, why I thought he was wrong. Understand?
Why not say, "this and this and this are the reason's why Tuco is wrong."

Then you say, "For this to work, we need to do this and this and this."

Then other posters can agree or disagree, or tell you why they think you're wrong.

That's an alternative viewpoint coming from you. Got it?

Why not say, "this and this and this are the reason's why Tuco is wrong."

Then you say, "For this to work, we need to do this and this and this."

Then other posters can agree or disagree, or tell you why they think you're wrong.

That's an alternative viewpoint coming from you. Got it?
freak

Reactions: thall__
Two statements made lead me to believe what I wrote will be true.

Alberts said he wasn’t there to win the press conference and that money won’t be an issue BUT he wanted to be a good steward with the finances of the university.

So I interpret that as, we aren’t going after a big name guy and that even though I have ample resources, I probably won’t be using them.
I take Albert's saying he isn't there to win press conferences as a shot to Frost and the previous regime. That's all Frost had was winning the press conferences and the off-season.

Holy smokes, this is like a flashback thru the T.O. years. I see history does repeat itself. Different time, same comments. The older people (like me) will know what I mean. We where damn lucky T.O. stay here that long and stayed with the system he believed in. T.O. took a lot of lumps along the way, I think he lost 7 straight times to Oklahoma when he took over as head coach. (Think husker fans were happen about that?) Or when he went for 2 points instead of a tie for the N.C. (Husker fans happy about that?), or when T.O. lost 6 bowl games in a row. ( Husker fans happy about that?).

But, though it all it finally paid off in the 90's. ( I know husker fans were happy about that). To quote Barry Switzer, "T. O.'s playbook and mine can still win NC".

Me, I don't care which coach Tev hires, or what system they bring in. Believe in that system, recruit the players to run that system, developed the players, and stay with it. I sure they will take some lumps along the way, but hopefully it's pays off. That's the type of coach you need to hire.

So what you’re saying is Urban or Bob Stoops or bust.

NO ONE knows anything, NO ONE can assume anything, and there have been zero leaks to make ANY assumption on.

I believe he has his man already and is riding the pine till the end of the season. I believe when he canned Frost in week 3 he already knew who he wanted and made his move. He had the search firm negotiate a contract so he did not have to and risk having leaks. Whoever it is, is better than what they have now...

Kind of like hiring Riley and thinking more money and better facilities will make him a winning coach. Absolutely crazy

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
You failed to mention THE most important thing that we need. We need an offensive line .. scratch that.. one of THE best offensive lines in all of college football. Offensive skill players don't mean shit when your offensive line is ranked about 130 out of 131 teams.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about this recruit and that recruit.. it doesn't F>CKING matter. Go after those 4, 5 star OLine recruits and get a REAL OLine coach and develop them. You go back and look at all those TO teams and you tell me what they all had in common. Ill wait while you look it up.

It's not rocket science to figure out when your DLine has to go against one of THE best Olines everyday in practice, yeah guess what they are gonna do come game day.

Go get them and develop them.

Next up - Strength and Conditioning with focus on being able to compete for at least 3 quarters. SMH. GTFOH.

I would be in favor of us having two OL coaches like Bo and TO did. This just has to be priority #1.

Again, the problem with that line of thinking is that when you get to Iowa or Wisconsin’s level, and that is your ceiling, you look stupid firing coaches that have won eight, nine, 10 games per year. We have done that 2 times and both times took a black eye in the eyes of the media and other coaches. This Fanbase does not have the ability to just win a certain number of games and not compete for conference and national titles. It has been proven on at least two probably three occasions.
Devaney won 2 national titles. TO took over in 1972 and by 1976 Bluebonnet Bowl was going to be fired if NU didn't beat Texas Tech. Took him 2 more years, and after 6 straight years of losing to OU, for him to finally upset them in Lincoln.

Us fans went through the early 80s with much success, but no national title. The early 90's team led by Mike Croel quit on Osborne and resulted in Colorado and Ga Tech drilling us in back-to-back games. I think that brought in the Unity Council.

In the early 90s TO started to bring in the Christian Peters, Lawrence Phillips, Terrell Farley, and Abdul Muhammed types. We finally had those types of players that had been beating our asses when we lined up against OU, Miami, and FSU.

NU has a lot of impatient fans. We were spoiled as shit. We got our asses hammered over the last couple of decades. 9-10 wins a year weren't cutting it. If NU eventually rebuilds and gets to that 9-10 game level, we fans will be asking for more.

Those of us in our 60's had almost 40 years of success. Swallowing 3-4-5 win seasons feel like a betrayal. All that money the University brings in and we have a horseshit program.

It's just how it is as an NU fan right now. We are looking for THAT guy who can begin the process of restoring NU to its glory days. Right now, that seems like a million miles away, but there is always hope.

But don't bring in some horseshit coach who never won anything, cause it will be a bumpy ride once we figure out this thing isn't going anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm devastated. My day becomes a total failure when some prick in here calls me a freak.
Wasn't meant to be devastating, just an observation, or did I not properly frame it for you? The doucher who takes the time to direct a rando on a message board on the proper way to present an alternative viewpoint, calling someone else a prick. That's rich. You sound like a heck of a guy, and lots of fun to hang with.

The coaches that can get you to a playoff berth are few and far between. None of them are leaving the schools they are currently at. Best we can do is get a coach with a high ceiling and hope that once in a while he can get us to a conference championship game and a playoff berth.

I would be in favor of us having two OL coaches like Bo and TO did. This just has to be priority #1.
I agree completely, get rid of tight ends coach and have tight ends go for some blocking sessions with O Line and some receiving sessions with receivers.

It does us no good to have elite tight ends if our offensive line is dogshit

Reactions: headcard
I am frustrated with the direction this is headed. I simply do not understand why Nebraska always has to go cheap with coaching hires or feels the need to have any sort of “Midwest” or “Nebraska” connection.

These hires come in with preconceived ideas of what you need to do to be successful at Nebraska. Usually we end up with a coach that is already conservative or turns conservative because of pressure from past success. As if that is the only way to win football games. One exception was Bill Callahan and even he hired at least 2 guys with connections to the past and was forced out after Osborne was hired as AD.

At this point, my belief is that we need to go completely outside the family and hire a coach that is just going to do it his way. With that said, I would hire a guy with connection to the states of Texas, California or the SE and a guy who isn’t afraid to sell a vision to top recruits instead of waiting for the leftovers. A coach that will hire a DC that coaches aggressive defense and an OC that will put out a balanced offense that is exciting enough to attract top level QBs and WR as well as RBs.

The desire of some of the fans to hire a coach that will simply get us back to relevancy is short sighted. As much as I want to go to bowl games and play in meaningful games in November, I have no desire to be Iowa or Wisconsin as an end goal.

From your post to MY OPINION the best fit would be O'Brien. Has coached in the big leagues and had a reputation of being bullish with his direction.
If the pressure to win the Nebraska way is a problem, a head coach who can take the weight of the position may work here.

Reactions: Husker Hambone
The coaches that can get you to a playoff berth are few and far between. None of them are leaving the schools they are currently at. Best we can do is get a coach with a high ceiling and hope that once in a while he can get us to a conference championship game and a playoff berth.
Well I know that Leipold and Monken aren’t guys with high ceilings. Klieman is doubtful.

Guys with high ceilings don’t wallow around in lower levels of college football for 20 years.

Secondly, there are coaches that will be like Swinney and Smart that are long term assistants in P5 programs that will become great head coaches.

Wasn't meant to be devastating, just an observation, or did I not properly frame it for you? The doucher who takes the time to direct a rando on a message board on the proper way to present an alternative viewpoint, calling someone else a prick. That's rich. You sound like a heck of a guy, and lots of fun to hang with.
I'm a blast to be around.

BTW, the "devastating" comment was a bit of sarcasm. What you or I say, or call each other is of little importance to either of us. You call me a freak, I call you a prick, big deal, I'm a big boy, I assume you are too.

Show me where I said there is a "proper" way to present an alternative viewpoint.

My position is that everyone who participates in a forum is entitled to their own views and opinions. I don't agree with 25% on here almost 100% of the time. If they are spewing bullshit, I just add them to my Ignore Hopper.

I like guys who post like Tuco, dingle, Nikki, Tru Husker, 9 and 4, and a bunch of guys. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I do like their "takes" a lot of the time. If their reasoning and concept are good, I'll probably steal it and have it show up in one of my posts at a later date,

Hell, I even find myself agreeing with you probably 51% of the time.

You don't know me, I don't know you, so neither you nor I give a **** what the other guy says. This is supposed to be a release from the daily chore of just living. Nothing in here is serious. Just a bunch of guys throwing out ideas and some of us rub each other the wrong way at times.

It's all good.

Last edited:

So what direction is this all headed? I don't read everything but how could anyone know where things are headed or is it the fact we don't know?

Your post makes it sound like you know who it is, their connection to the program and what we are paying them. True or not? If not then what is your post based on?

Pardon me for not fully understanding everything you posted. You hit on lots of a areas from the past and connections.

Personally, I don't think this fan base is foing to be happy with whoever it is. I have to wonder what has gone on since the days of Solich and his termination. The odds of firing all those former coaches for poor performance is mind boggling. What is the missing link? It is too simple to say they or the AD was an idiot. These coaches were not complete idiots. If people think they were then they will.think the new person is as well. No one will be good enough.

This program is in shambles right now. I haven't bought into the hype every year or the transfer/NIL hype as well. Reality is what it is. Then there is the "run the ball, triple option crowd" which is another faction.

It may take years just to get to a winning record and that is reality. No division titles for a while no matter how bad people say our division is, you still have to play the games and win. Just bringing in a new coach isn't going to produce instant miracles. We have a long ways to go.

Reactions: tman485
BS. There are several coaches that can get a program like Nebraska to the playoffs. Its comical that people on this board are drinking that Kool aid that the media is spewing about Nebraska being a difficult job. Nebraska has every advantage in the world with the exception of the fertile recruiting ground, but players don't give a damn where you are located when you are winning. Bring in a competent coach that steers the ship and recruits will line up to come to Lincoln.

So what direction is this all headed? I don't read everything but how could anyone know where things are headed or is it the fact we don't know?

Your post makes it sound like you know who it is, their connection to the program and what we are paying them. True or not? If not then what is your post based on?

Pardon me for not fully understanding everything you posted. You hit on lots of a areas from the past and connections.

Personally, I don't think this fan base is foing to be happy with whoever it is. I have to wonder what has gone on since the days of Solich and his termination. The odds of firing all those former coaches for poor performance is mind boggling. What is the missing link? It is too simple to say they or the AD was an idiot. These coaches were not complete idiots. If people think they were then they will.think the new person is as well. No one will be good enough.

This program is in shambles right now. I haven't bought into the hype every year or the transfer/NIL hype as well. Reality is what it is. Then there is the "run the ball, triple option crowd" which is another faction.

It may take years just to get to a winning record and that is reality. No division titles for a while no matter how bad people say our division is, you still have to play the games and win. Just bringing in a new coach isn't going to produce instant miracles. We have a long ways to go.
Simple. What names are being discussed? It isn’t young coordinators like Kirby Smart. It isn’t guys that won in the MAC, moved to the MWC won there then moved to the SEC or a P5 school like Brian Kelly or Urban Meyer. It’s mid 50 year old dudes who spent years at DIII or FCS and were content there until they decided, in their 50’s to give FBS a try.

Maybe I’ll be surprised and it will not be Leipold or Monken but if I had to bet a significant amount of money right now, I would put it on one of those two guys.

It's rather amusing how fans can get so worked up over rumored names which actually may have no more basis in reality other than their agents are working to get them raises from their current AD's by planting the rumors.

Are you serious or just a moron? You state, “It may take years just to get to a winning record and that is reality.” No that is not reality.
We had a bowl eligible team this year with any kind of competent coaching. Do you agree that we had the talent to beat Northwestern and Georgia Southern and with competent coaching we would have beaten them?. We had leads at halftime against both Minnesota and Wisconsin and with competent coaching we would have won both games. That is 7 wins.
With our schedule next year, any competent coaching staff would result in a winning record and bowl game.
Talk about a loser’s mentality, you certainly have that!

Maybe I’ll be surprised and it will not be Leipold or Monken but if I had to bet a significant amount of money right now, I would put it on one of those two guys.
Leipold or Monken = Clay Helton. I wonder if USC has any regrets about stepping up to the MF'ing table and make a huge hire? From 4 wins to 10+ wins in one year. I share your frustration with where I fear this is going.

Reactions: WHCSC
Are you serious or just a moron? You state, “It may take years just to get to a winning record and that is reality.” No that is not reality.
We had a bowl eligible team this year with any kind of competent coaching. Do you agree that we had the talent to beat Northwestern and Georgia Southern and with competent coaching we would have beaten them?. We had leads at halftime against both Minnesota and Wisconsin and with competent coaching we would have won both games. That is 7 wins.
With our schedule next year, any competent coaching staff would result in a winning record and bowl game.
Talk about a loser’s mentality, you certainly have that!
I guess our past would speak to this. Yes, call me a moron, that works to make you feel better about yourself. Fun fact, we are not very good and haven't been for 5 years now but all the sudden we will be awesome. Seems like a bunch of people were pointing to this year's schedule as the easiest in a long time, how did that turn out?

In your account just bring in the right coach and the world gets better over night. So why didn't it with Frost in 5 years? Or even the guys before him or why is Mickey saying we need to recruit better players? Because we do.

Simple. What names are being discussed? It isn’t young coordinators like Kirby Smart. It isn’t guys that won in the MAC, moved to the MWC won there then moved to the SEC or a P5 school like Brian Kelly or Urban Meyer. It’s mid 50 year old dudes who spent years at DIII or FCS and were content there until they decided, in their 50’s to give FBS a try.

Ok, now that I had to drag it out of you, I see where you are headed with it.

I pay little attention to the names being mentioned. Many want Urban and others but there is zero evidence they are interested. To me it creates an out when the roof caved in by saying "why didn't we get Urban like I said" or " Trev went cheap and wouldn't pay Urban." Whatever. I do like your description of a model coach who has won, is young and willing to take on the Huskers. The question is if the fan base is willing to be patient with a new young guy which doesn't seem to fit the job description on this board.

BS. There are several coaches that can get a program like Nebraska to the playoffs. Its comical that people on this board are drinking that Kool aid that the media is spewing about Nebraska being a difficult job. Nebraska has every advantage in the world with the exception of the fertile recruiting ground, but players don't give a damn where you are located when you are winning. Bring in a competent coach that steers the ship and recruits will line up to come to Lincoln.
So who are all these coaches who have made it to the playoffs that are available for hire? I will list them and the likelihood that they will come to Nebraska:

Urban Meyer - currently available. Highly unlikely he would come coach at Nebraska.

Bob Stoops - retired. Highly unlikely he comes to coach at Nebraska.

Ed Orgeron - currently available. He might come but I don't think we want him.

Dabo Sweeney - currently at Clemson. Not coming

Kirby Smart - currently at Georgia. Not coming

Lincoln Riley - currently at USC. Not coming

Chip Kelly - currently at UCLA. Not coming

Nick Saban - currently at Alabama. Not coming

Brian Kelly - currently at LSU. Not coming

So who are all these coaches who have made it to the playoffs that are available for hire? I will list them and the likelihood that they will come to Nebraska:

Urban Meyer - currently available. Highly unlikely he would come coach at Nebraska.

Bob Stoops - retired. Highly unlikely he comes to coach at Nebraska.

Ed Orgeron - currently available. He might come but I don't think we want him.

Dabo Sweeney - currently at Clemson. Not coming

Kirby Smart - currently at Georgia. Not coming

Lincoln Riley - currently at USC. Not coming

Chip Kelly - currently at UCLA. Not coming

Nick Saban - currently at Alabama. Not coming

Brian Kelly - currently at LSU. Not coming
Other then Urban I don't think there's been any speculation about any of those guys being the one. I think the speculation is more about potential candidates being tied up in possible conference championships and post season bowls.

Reactions: phoenix4nu
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT