ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Search This is where I am with regards to the coaching search and potential candidates.

Other then Urban I don't think there's been any speculation about any of those guys being the one. I think the speculation is more about potential candidates being tied up in possible conference championships and post season bowls.
True, but the poster specifically stated someone with experience winning conference championships and making the playoffs. Other than those coaches, who else meets that criteria?

I am frustrated with the direction this is headed. I simply do not understand why Nebraska always has to go cheap with coaching hires or feels the need to have any sort of “Midwest” or “Nebraska” connection.

These hires come in with preconceived ideas of what you need to do to be successful at Nebraska. Usually we end up with a coach that is already conservative or turns conservative because of pressure from past success. As if that is the only way to win football games. One exception was Bill Callahan and even he hired at least 2 guys with connections to the past and was forced out after Osborne was hired as AD.

At this point, my belief is that we need to go completely outside the family and hire a coach that is just going to do it his way. With that said, I would hire a guy with connection to the states of Texas, California or the SE and a guy who isn’t afraid to sell a vision to top recruits instead of waiting for the leftovers. A coach that will hire a DC that coaches aggressive defense and an OC that will put out a balanced offense that is exciting enough to attract top level QBs and WR as well as RBs.

The desire of some of the fans to hire a coach that will simply get us back to relevancy is short sighted. As much as I want to go to bowl games and play in meaningful games in November, I have no desire to be Iowa or Wisconsin as an end goal.

Sorry for the long post. Just needed to get that off my chest.
Nebraska is a stupid, conservative state and that's why we get stupid, conservative results in an era where the big spenders win. LSU, USC, and Alabama went all in on their coaching hires and paid them well. And look at their results. It's really not that complicated. Coaches want to feel valued and the best way to do that is pay them what they're worth. We need to stop shopping in the bargain bin for coaches, because it's pathetic, especially for a supposed blueblood program.

This is key and somewhat surpasses the need for best quality HC (not trying to skimp on HC).
Acquiring the best assistants in the land seems doable. The unrealistic part would be that most coaches bring majority of staff from prior relationships of some kind. So a coach who’s been around could help in that department, but could be a unicorn while they need to also check other boxes.
The thing is top assistants want to work for a top coach. We're not getting top assistants here if we don't get a top notch coach.

I guess our past would speak to this. Yes, call me a moron, that works to make you feel better about yourself. Fun fact, we are not very good and haven't been for 5 years now but all the sudden we will be awesome. Seems like a bunch of people were pointing to this year's schedule as the easiest in a long time, how did that turn out?

In your account just bring in the right coach and the world gets better over night. So why didn't it with Frost in 5 years? Or even the guys before him or why is Mickey saying we need to recruit better players? Because we do.
With all due respect, this is not a very good comeback.
#1 Scott Frost was an arrogant, selfish manchild who had no business being a head coach of a BIG team.
#2. The much reviled Mike Riley had a 9 win team in season 2.
#3. Vanderbilt has won 5 games this year and UConn is bowl eligible, two of the worst football teams last year.
With the schedule next year, Nebraska should be in a bowl game next year. Anything else is a losers mentality.

BS. There are several coaches that can get a program like Nebraska to the playoffs. Its comical that people on this board are drinking that Kool aid that the media is spewing about Nebraska being a difficult job. Nebraska has every advantage in the world with the exception of the fertile recruiting ground, but players don't give a damn where you are located when you are winning. Bring in a competent coach that steers the ship and recruits will line up to come to Lincoln.
Personally I believe EVERY P5 job is a difficult job. If they weren’t schools wouldn’t be paying millions for coaches. The guys who can really elevate a program are few and far between and then you need some luck.

Reactions: moralvictories
So who are all these coaches who have made it to the playoffs that are available for hire? I will list them and the likelihood that they will come to Nebraska:

Urban Meyer - currently available. Highly unlikely he would come coach at Nebraska.

Bob Stoops - retired. Highly unlikely he comes to coach at Nebraska.

Ed Orgeron - currently available. He might come but I don't think we want him.

Dabo Sweeney - currently at Clemson. Not coming

Kirby Smart - currently at Georgia. Not coming

Lincoln Riley - currently at USC. Not coming

Chip Kelly - currently at UCLA. Not coming

Nick Saban - currently at Alabama. Not coming

Brian Kelly - currently at LSU. Not coming
Exactly. The only one MAYBE available is Urban and I don’t think he has the fire in the belly to take on NU. Why should he?

So who are all these coaches who have made it to the playoffs that are available for hire? I will list them and the likelihood that they will come to Nebraska:

Urban Meyer - currently available. Highly unlikely he would come coach at Nebraska.

Bob Stoops - retired. Highly unlikely he comes to coach at Nebraska.

Ed Orgeron - currently available. He might come but I don't think we want him.

Dabo Sweeney - currently at Clemson. Not coming

Kirby Smart - currently at Georgia. Not coming

Lincoln Riley - currently at USC. Not coming

Chip Kelly - currently at UCLA. Not coming

Nick Saban - currently at Alabama. Not coming

Brian Kelly - currently at LSU. Not coming
And every single one of those guys was a successful position coach and/or a coordinator at a P5 school or a HC at a lower level program or smaller P5 school AND ALL were HC at P5 schools before they reached the age of 50. They advanced their careers early and often and didn’t sit contently in Whitewater, Wisconsin or Fargo, North Dakota.

Bill Obrien
Matt Rhule
Tom Herman
Dan Mullen.
Gus Malzahn

All examples of coaches with more experience and better P5 results than the 2 Kansas boys and the guy who recruits Army officers, who appear to be in the lead for this job.

You don’t have to hire a coach that is currently taking his teams to the CFP, we can all agree Saban isn’t coming to Lincoln. What you have to find is the guy who is hungry and successful throughout his career.

Nebraska is a stupid, conservative state and that's why we get stupid, conservative results in an era where the big spenders win. LSU, USC, and Alabama went all in on their coaching hires and paid them well. And look at their results. It's really not that complicated. Coaches want to feel valued and the best way to do that is pay them what they're worth. We need to stop shopping in the bargain bin for coaches, because it's pathetic, especially for a supposed blueblood program.
This is BS

Personally I believe EVERY P5 job is a difficult job. If they weren’t schools wouldn’t be paying millions for coaches. The guys who can really elevate a program are few and far between and then you need some luck.
True, but some P5 jobs are harder than others. For example, Texas and Florida are in locations that are loaded with talent and it's easy to get 4 and 5 star players to come there.

Yes, you got to have a coach to develop those players and establish a winning culture, but it's a lot easier to do so in a talent rich region than it is in a talent desert.

So we suck because the state of Nebraska leans red come election years.....fascinating.

True, but some P5 jobs are harder than others. For example, Texas and Florida are in locations that are loaded with talent and it's easy to get 4 and 5 star players to come there.

Yes, you got to have a coach to develop those players and establish a winning culture, but it's a lot easier to do so in a talent rich region than it is in a talent desert.
Texas lost to Kansas last year

Florida lost to Vanderbilt two days ago

True, anyone can beat anyone on a given day. However, wouldn't you say that it's easier to have winning seasons at Texas and Florida than it is at Vanderbilt and Kansas?
We can’t beat anyone on any given day

Not even close

We've been close a lot of times over the past 2 years.
No, we haven’t

Even Saturday - up by 11 in the 4th quarter against a terrible team & we have a zero percent chance to win

We are closer to folding the program and playing lacrosse than we are to beating anybody of substance

Reactions: mgbreis
Isn't hiring a coordinator or an assistant coach just as big of a risk as hiring a successful head coach from the G5 or FCS level?
BUT that's exactly one of the traits that makes a great head coach. He can put together the best staff because he understands the strengths and weaknesses of assistants. The task for hiring assistants is on the head coach, not the AD.

With all due respect, this is not a very good comeback.
#1 Scott Frost was an arrogant, selfish manchild who had no business being a head coach of a BIG team.
#2. The much reviled Mike Riley had a 9 win team in season 2.
#3. Vanderbilt has won 5 games this year and UConn is bowl eligible, two of the worst football teams last year.
With the schedule next year, Nebraska should be in a bowl game next year. Anything else is a losers mentality.
The results speak for themselves. Ignoring them and repeating this every year is the losers game. Looking at the schedule and penciling in games like Purdue as wins because we always beat them or Illinois because they haven't been good forever is a losers game. Reading all the articles about how much better everything is when the play on the field is worse is a losers game. We hired the golden boy and paid 5 mill a year, gave him free reign to hire his own coaches and that has been a constant turnover of people. Oh but NIL is gong to save us, Nebraska is on top of that as well and of course we won the transfer portal sweepstakes.

Pointing to other teams is meaningless, I only care about one. I watch them carefully and also those teams in their league and division. The spread is getting worse every year, I don't care about UConn and Vandy. We couldn't beat Georgia Southern for crying out loud.

Its not like this is all new ground as well, just look at the last 20 years. At this point I don't think there are any instant fixes, it is going to take time regardless of what the schedule is next year or the year after. It is about getting better, playing better football at a much higher level, not the crappy schedule that should get a team 6 wins, that is a losers mentality.

Get a good young teacher/coach let him get his staff in and give him some time. This thing is severely broken. I am patient and have been but anyone with a smidgen of football acumen could see there have been systemic problems that last 5 years but yet, everyone kept thinking this was the break out year and four wins was the ceiling.

The results speak for themselves. Ignoring them and repeating this every year is the losers game. Looking at the schedule and penciling in games like Purdue as wins because we always beat them or Illinois because they haven't been good forever is a losers game. Reading all the articles about how much better everything is when the play on the field is worse is a losers game. We hired the golden boy and paid 5 mill a year, gave him free reign to hire his own coaches and that has been a constant turnover of people. Oh but NIL is gong to save us, Nebraska is on top of that as well and of course we won the transfer portal sweepstakes.

Pointing to other teams is meaningless, I only care about one. I watch them carefully and also those teams in their league and division. The spread is getting worse every year, I don't care about UConn and Vandy. We couldn't beat Georgia Southern for crying out loud.

Its not like this is all new ground as well, just look at the last 20 years. At this point I don't think there are any instant fixes, it is going to take time regardless of what the schedule is next year or the year after. It is about getting better, playing better football at a much higher level, not the crappy schedule that should get a team 6 wins, that is a losers mentality.

Get a good young teacher/coach let him get his staff in and give him some time. This thing is severely broken. I am patient and have been but anyone with a smidgen of football acumen could see there have been systemic problems that last 5 years but yet, everyone kept thinking this was the break out year and four wins was the ceiling.
I’ve moved over to the “bright young coach” side of things if it’s not Rhule. Go get Garrett Riley TCUs OC, Georgia’s OC TODD Monken, Zac Taylor and yes I think he could be had. Taylor has recruited and coached in college in Texas. We could double his pay.

Wanting to take a stab at Zac Taylor has little to do for me with his time at NU other than we all know that he’s a grinder and great guy. I tried to think of another young coach in the NFL and he’s the only one I could come up with who might consider taking our job.

We could get really crazy and hire Montana State’s head guy Bret Vigen. He’s probably the hottest young FCS coach in the game. We wouldn’t have to guarantee him anywhere near what we gave Frost. What the hell do we have to lose if we gave a guy like him 2-3 years?

Last edited:
I’ve moved over to the “bright young coach” side of things if it’s not Rhule. Go get Garrett Riley TCUs OC, Georgia’s OC TODD Monken, Zac Taylor and yes I think he could be had. Taylor has recruited and coached in college in Texas. We could double his pay.

Wanting to take a stab at Zac Taylor has little to do for me with his time at NU other than we all know that he’s a grinder and great guy. I tried to think of another young coach in the NFL and he’s the only one I could come up with who might consider taking our job.
Todd Monken is 56. I'm glad that's still considered young.

Well I know that Leipold and Monken aren’t guys with high ceilings. Klieman is doubtful.

Guys with high ceilings don’t wallow around in lower levels of college football for 20 years.

Secondly, there are coaches that will be like Swinney and Smart that are long term assistants in P5 programs that will become great head coaches.
At this point, we need to work whatever magic we can to officially bring on DeBoer in Jan 2023 after UWs bowl game and when that $12mil buyout is gone.
We don’t know his ceiling but we know a lot of the other guys ceilings and we need to lock him up ASAP.
Dude knows offense, it is so much better than ours. And his teams actually play some defense too.
From South Dakota and still in his 40s. Come on Trev!

Reactions: dinglefritz
So we suck because the state of Nebraska leans red come election years.....fascinating.
No because we're fiscally conservative and it limits our coaching options unnecessarily. Trev cares more about pinching a few pennies than bringing in a top notch coach, and I think that's obvious given the position hasn't been filled already.

Some of you are truly nucking futs! WOW. Just jump to your own conclusions and assume they are correct no matter what. If Trev were concerned about pinching pennies he would not have fired Frost when he did. He would have waited until the buyout dropped considerably! Look at the whole picture people! Some of you are so short sighted it is almost scary!

No because we're fiscally conservative and it limits our coaching options unnecessarily. Trev cares more about pinching a few pennies than bringing in a top notch coach, and I think that's obvious given the position hasn't been filled already.
You don't know anything at all about Trev's thinking on this hire. You know less than nothing.

At this point, we need to work whatever magic we can to officially bring on DeBoer in Jan 2023 after UWs bowl game and when that $12mil buyout is gone.
We don’t know his ceiling but we know a lot of the other guys ceilings and we need to lock him up ASAP.
Dude knows offense, it is so much better than ours. And his teams actually play some defense too.
From South Dakota and still in his 40s. Come on Trev!
This. I left him off my most recent list just because I don’t think he’s as much of a gamble as some of the less proven guys.

Seems to me like we have stepped up and paid everyone very well when we came a knockin in the past..and gave them a longer leash than we should have...you can say a lot of things about the program....but being cheap ain't one of them...and we both know you were getting in a cheap shot at ypur political nemisis.

Some of you are truly nucking futs! WOW. Just jump to your own conclusions and assume they are correct no matter what. If Trev were concerned about pinching pennies he would not have fired Frost when he did. He would have waited until the buyout dropped considerably! Look at the whole picture people! Some of you are so short sighted it is almost scary!
No one that is still here following Nebraska football after the last 8 years is short sighted. We've done this shit year-after-year ad nauseam so I reserve the right to be impatient with stupidity where I see it. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but when Trev is doing interviews and talking about "responsible allocation of resources" that sounds like someone laying groundwork to soften the blow of a less-than-fantastic hire. I'm not assuming I'm correct and I hope I'm not. If we hire Leipold and you're excited about it then we'll have to disagree. And, if that's the type of hire you're hoping for then the person who is nucking futs is in your mirror.

No one that is still here following Nebraska football after the last 8 years is short sighted. We've done this shit year-after-year ad nauseam so I reserve the right to be impatient with stupidity where I see it. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but when Trev is doing interviews and talking about "responsible allocation of resources" that sounds like someone laying groundwork to soften the blow of a less-than-fantastic hire. I'm not assuming I'm correct and I hope I'm not. If we hire Leipold and you're excited about it then we'll have to disagree. And, if that's the type of hire you're hoping for then the person who is nucking futs is in your mirror.
The only coach who would set the fan's sights would be Meyer, and he's not coming.

The next level is the Ruhles, Arandas, O'Briens, etc. As fans, I think the rationale is to let the grind toward respectability begin. A "let's get this thing started" attitude.

The hiring of Viegen, Garret Riley, and Kendall Briles would be met with questions if they are ready to take that next step in coaching. Taking a risk. Is this going to be another Frost thing?

Someone like Monken, and Doeren will just mean more of what we've seen the last 10 years or so. We're thinking, so nobody worth a shit wanted this job?

What level are we fans going to be at in a week or so?

Last edited:
Well as I've said I don't have all the resources Trev has at his disposal to do analysis BUT if forced to pick the best next head coach based on what I've read, I'd pick Luke Fickell. No, I know too many people have already said that Fickell wouldn't accept a job out of Ohio so it most likely wouldn't happen but that would be my pick as the guy most likely to be able to win again at Nebraska.

We could get really crazy and hire Montana State’s head guy Bret Vigen. He’s probably the hottest young FCS coach in the game. We wouldn’t have to guarantee him anywhere near what we gave Frost. What the hell do we have to lose if we gave a guy like him 2-3 years?
I am there as well and have been early on. I have spent zero time researching the names that have been floated around. I don't like the term 'splash hire" as it doesn't mean a thing to me but apparently fixes everything. Find that hard working, bright minded guy and support him. He will repay that loyalty over time. There will be bumps along three way but the time span could be much longer than many if these splash hire guys. Not to mention they simply are not moving to Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT