ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Search This is where I am with regards to the coaching search and potential candidates.

Tuco Salamanca

Athletic Director
Aug 18, 2016
Albuquerque
I am frustrated with the direction this is headed. I simply do not understand why Nebraska always has to go cheap with coaching hires or feels the need to have any sort of “Midwest” or “Nebraska” connection.

These hires come in with preconceived ideas of what you need to do to be successful at Nebraska. Usually we end up with a coach that is already conservative or turns conservative because of pressure from past success. As if that is the only way to win football games. One exception was Bill Callahan and even he hired at least 2 guys with connections to the past and was forced out after Osborne was hired as AD.

At this point, my belief is that we need to go completely outside the family and hire a coach that is just going to do it his way. With that said, I would hire a guy with connection to the states of Texas, California or the SE and a guy who isn’t afraid to sell a vision to top recruits instead of waiting for the leftovers. A coach that will hire a DC that coaches aggressive defense and an OC that will put out a balanced offense that is exciting enough to attract top level QBs and WR as well as RBs.

The desire of some of the fans to hire a coach that will simply get us back to relevancy is short sighted. As much as I want to go to bowl games and play in meaningful games in November, I have no desire to be Iowa or Wisconsin as an end goal.

Sorry for the long post. Just needed to get that off my chest.

Well IMO we don't need a head coach who is a former Nebraska player. I just don't care about the pedigree. What we do need is a head coach who is smart enough to figure out how to win in the B1G consistently, who can recruit, who can actually DEVELOP the players for a change and who is smart enough to figure out the winning second half adjustments.

As for respecting Nebraska traditions, we've already got former player Trev as AD to look after that so we don't need another former player.

Last edited:
OP right now.
satisfaction-uhh.gif

Impressive, you know the direction this is headed, when nobody else seems to. You must have real connections on the inside. And how many different ways can you be wrong? You admit Callahan doesn't fall into your narrative. BP had no connection, other than coaching for a year. Was he cheap or did he get a respectable contract at the time? And he definitely did it his way. Just about any program in the country would have taken Frost after UCF, so you miss there too. Nobody would say we got him on the cheap. Riley had no connection to the program, but he was cheap.

Just hire any HC who can hire the right assistants to rebuild our team top to bottom. Don't go cheap paying assistants, pay the top assistants top dollars and stay away from hiring your friends unless they are the best.
This is key and somewhat surpasses the need for best quality HC (not trying to skimp on HC).
Acquiring the best assistants in the land seems doable. The unrealistic part would be that most coaches bring majority of staff from prior relationships of some kind. So a coach who’s been around could help in that department, but could be a unicorn while they need to also check other boxes.

A coach that will hire a DC that coaches aggressive defense and an OC that will put out a balanced offense that is exciting enough to attract top level QBs and WR as well as RBs.
1. Watching our soft and loose defense spanning over several years has been frustrating, when every good defense plays hard and tight. DC may be the position I’m actually most anxious for.
2. I’m not a rundadamnball guy. I’m all about having my cake and eating it too. I reject any notion that we can’t field a team capable of running and throwing successfully. And we can afford it right now, so get all the cake we can muster.
3. I don’t know which coach out there is best suited to get us there, but it’s all about the package of top notch assistants they can put together.

Hand wringing continues, but everyone is ready for the next chapter.

Impressive, you know the direction this is headed, when nobody else seems to. You must have real connections on the inside. And how many different ways can you be wrong? You admit Callahan doesn't fall into your narrative. BP had no connection, other than coaching for a year. Was he cheap or did he get a respectable contract at the time? And he definitely did it his way. Just about any program in the country would have taken Frost after UCF, so you miss there too. Nobody would say we got him on the cheap. Riley had no connection to the program, but he was cheap.
We always have posters who are posting about how they feel the program should move forward with respect to whoever is hired. There will always be some posters who agree and an equal or greater number of dissenters.

It's easy to take anyone's words and write why they won't work or they have faulty thinking. That's what makes an opinion forum worth contributing to. But, too many who are critical usually don't have or don't offer their own solution. They can take Tuco or my suggestion and critique it, yet rarely do they offer their own solution.

Jump in, and put yourself out there for some criticism. Let's see if everyone agrees with you.

Well for starters, I don't have a clue. We're all frustrated and feel we've been wandering in the desert for 2 decades.

I have no clue if we're going on the cheap. I wouldn't think so because I would think the administration understands that we're at the final tipping point revenue wise from the fans ie apparel sales, game attendance and general overall interest. When tickets for Wisconsin can't be sold for$15 there's a problem. Yes it was a cold day but it would have been packed for cu or OU back in "the day".

Unless NU upper management is just happy to be a part of the b1g, they better get this right. It's not rocket science and look at the fb top 25 poll. There's no reason 1/2 of those teams should be ranked ahead of NU with the resources and facilities we've got or have committed to. It goes deeper than that. It's personnel within the program. Get the right people and this will work.

We always have posters who are posting about how they feel the program should move forward with respect to whoever is hired. There will always be some posters who agree and an equal or greater number of dissenters.

It's easy to take anyone's words and write why they won't work or they have faulty thinking. That's what makes an opinion forum worth contributing to. But, too many who are critical usually don't have or don't offer their own solution. They can take Tuco or my suggestion and critique it, yet rarely do they offer their own solution.

Jump in, and put yourself out there for some criticism. Let's see if everyone agrees with you.
Weird. His theory is wrong, at least that's my opinion. Do you agree? Please be as critical as you like.

Weird. His theory is wrong, at least that's my opinion. Do you agree? Please be as critical as you like.
This isn't about me being critical Lincoln. It's about critiquing any poster's thoughts and suggesting why they have a thought pattern that isn't correct or won't work. There's nothing wrong with that, but along those lines, offer an alternative solution.

I've had plenty of guys who have disagreed with me over the last 14 months, and that hasn't, nor will it, slow me down in making suggestions or comments that I believe apply.

None of us are establishing anything that would be accepted by those making the actual hiring decisions. We all are entitled to our opinions on what we think will work the best moving forward.

I don't agree with them any more than they agree with me. But, I do like the idea when a member throws out an opposing viewpoint.

In all likelihood, all of us may be wrong. We wouldn't know for 2-3 years anyway.

Hell, I give all the posters the benefit of the doubt until they just show themselves as being a troll or someone who just wants to pull people's chains. Then I just put them on Ignore, I'd much rather read viewpoints I disagree with, but at least have a basis of common sense.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The tools that made Nebraska culture successful in the 80s and 90s no longer exist. It’s dumb to hold onto that and force those connections into this landscape. The tools to assemble successful rosters are different now than they were just a few years ago let alone 25-40. If the culture remained intact during that entire time and it adapted rather than attempting to re-invent it every five years it might still be a winner.

Hire someone who can build a culture. Give them time and have realistic expectations. Cultures build consistency. Records don’t tell the entire story. Is Matt Rhule a culture builder or did he benefit from a pre-established culture?

IMO the top hires would be Beliema or Campbell. Though, I’m glad Campbell is staying at ISU because I like what he is doing there; they will be back contending for a B12 title soon. Beliema deserves better support than Illinois gives him.

The only thing that I know that everyone will agree with is that if Trev hasn’t hired anyone yet and announce it the day or two after the Iowa game… he should be shitcanned on the spot.
That would show complete and utter ineptitude on his part and would have basically wasted the whole Frost firing and the extra 7.5 million.
If you are AD at a big time program and you fire a coach after game 3 and you can’t line anyone up by the end of the season you don’t deserve to have the job.

And the stupid thing is, we won’t know what was happening or when because the lies everyone tells about… “I just started talking to Nebraska the day after the season ended” or shit like that
Even when their agent was actually doing the talking two months ago and relaying all the info.
We know how it works.

Watch us end up with Leipold. That will piss some people off. I actually think he’s a good coach but if he’s the guy he needs a new DC for sure.
Other than him, I really think Klieman or DeBoer would do well. I think Rhule was in play perhaps but don’t know that it was serious.

Hell, I don’t know who it will be

A few things

1) I should have been more clear, I was referring to recruiting and Offense under Callahan. He didn’t have an aggressive defense and hired guys with Nebraska connections. That was either forced by admin or the TC or a way to extend the olive branch to the TC. Callahan was also cheap because he was about the 5th or 6th dude on the ADs list.

2) Riley did not have an aggressive defense and his offense was too pass heavy. He was also never accepted by much, if any, of the fanbase because he was an outsider and no one had ever heard of him. He was aggressive on the recruiting trail but unlike Callahan, wasn’t able to actually get people to pull the trigger. Also cheap.

3) As far as I know, correct me if I am wrong, but the consensus on this board and in most of the reporting, both locally and national, that the candidates are basically Ruhle, Leipold, Klieman, and Monken. Outside of Ruhle, but even he is a “Big Ten Guy”, they are all Midwest guys who rely on getting the leftovers in recruiting and try to make do with those players.

Frost was a hot hire based on one year at UCF. If anyone would like to look it up, I was critical of the hire and even compared him to Scott Montgomery at Tulsa who had similar success Frost in his first couple of AAC seasons. Since he was such a hot name and an alum, Nebraska had no choice but to hire him.

Frost also changed his offensive philosophy when he arrived in Lincoln and it did not look like what he ran at Oregon or UCF. He bought into the Osborne theory of football coaching and ran his QB 14 times per game or more. QB was hurt every season. Shocker.

It is what it is. But Nebraska is the rich guy that doesn’t buy a nice car or nice house because they think they are being frugal but they are just cheap.

The only thing that I know that everyone will agree with is that if Trev hasn’t hired anyone yet and announce it the day or two after the Iowa game… he should be shitcanned on the spot.
That would show complete and utter ineptitude on his part and would have basically wasted the whole Frost firing and the extra 7.5 million.
If you are AD at a big time program and you fire a coach after game 3 and you can’t line anyone up by the end of the season you don’t deserve to have the job.

And the stupid thing is, we won’t know what was happening or when because the lies everyone tells about… “I just started talking to Nebraska the day after the season ended” or shit like that
Even when their agent was actually doing the talking two months ago and relaying all the info.
We know how it works.

Watch us end up with Leipold. That will piss some people off. I actually think he’s a good coach but if he’s the guy he needs a new DC for sure.
Other than him, I really think Klieman or DeBoer would do well. I think Rhule was in play perhaps but don’t know that it was serious.

Hell, I don’t know who it will be
Whoever is hired, better be of the understanding that flipping a large portion of this roster should be Step 1. NU simply has too many position groups where the talent is lacking, or has had 2-3-4 years to develop but is filled with a bunch of sub-P5 players.

This is like taking over a roster of .200 hitters in baseball with no power. No coach is going to be able to come in and make them a .275-hitting team with 100 homers. You have to have the raw material in enough position groups to at least be competitive with your competition.

This is going to be a big job, and the current roster lacks talent in so many ways. You can only coach and develop so many kids. Some kids are just what they are.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
You failed to mention THE most important thing that we need. We need an offensive line .. scratch that.. one of THE best offensive lines in all of college football. Offensive skill players don't mean shit when your offensive line is ranked about 130 out of 131 teams.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about this recruit and that recruit.. it doesn't F>CKING matter. Go after those 4, 5 star OLine recruits and get a REAL OLine coach and develop them. You go back and look at all those TO teams and you tell me what they all had in common. Ill wait while you look it up.

It's not rocket science to figure out when your DLine has to go against one of THE best Olines everyday in practice, yeah guess what they are gonna do come game day.

Go get them and develop them.

Next up - Strength and Conditioning with focus on being able to compete for at least 3 quarters. SMH. GTFOH.

Last edited:
Guess I don’t understand all of the hand wringing yet. We don’t know how the search is truly going and Frost is walking proof that we won’t necessarily go cheap. We overpaid that dbag for several years. Imma wait for a reason to get mad about this hire until I know who we hire.

3) As far as I know, correct me if I am wrong, but the consensus on this board and in most of the reporting, both locally and national, that the candidates are basically Ruhle, Leipold, Klieman, and Monken.
But no one knows so it shouldn’t be taken as fact. Trev could have a completely different list.

If anyone would like to look it up, I was critical of the hire and even compared him to Scott Montgomery at Tulsa who had similar success Frost in his first couple of AAC seasons. Since he was such a hot name and an alum, Nebraska had no choice but to hire him.
I remember this and I was right there with you preaching caution about hiring a guy with so little experience.

Whoever is hired, better be of the understanding that flipping a large portion of this roster should be Step 1. NU simply has too many position groups where the talent is lacking, or has had 2-3-4 years to develop but is filled with a bunch of sub-P5 players.

This is like taking over a roster of .200 hitters in baseball with no power. No coach is going to be able to come in and make them a .275-hitting team with 100 homers. You have to have the raw material in enough position groups to at least be competitive with your competition.

This is going to be a big job, and the current roster lacks talent in so many ways. You can only coach and develop so many kids. Some kids are just what they are.
Yep, thankfully we are in an era where you can flip 40 guys in one year. But, I think we’d be significantly better just upgrading 3 areas the most… OL, LB, and DB. And depth wise, QB of course.
I thought we had some good WRs and RBs, and some guys on the DL have done ok.
But, yes, let’s get as many guys as we can and coach them up. And practice hard like other teams so we don’t choke away every effing game. That’s why we need the new coach named on Sunday… we still have a recruiting class to keep and a few more guys to sign.
I am guessing if the coach is from another school we will pick up a few of their recruits.

His theory iMO is supported by a lot of smoke. Leipold has ties to NU. I don’t know if that’s who it ends up being but IF it does I’m pretty confident that it won’t be because he was the cheapest option. At some point when you have multiple failed relationships it might be time to look in the mirror and say it’s me and not them.

It sounds like there has been plenty of interest and Trev has turned over all the rocks.

IF it comes down to Leipold I believe it will be because he was the best guy we could get to take the job versus being the cheapest guy. I do share Tuco’s concern but have a lot more faith in Trev than some

Reactions: herbie tarlek
But no one knows so it shouldn’t be taken as fact. Trev could have a completely different list.
Two statements made lead me to believe what I wrote will be true.

Alberts said he wasn’t there to win the press conference and that money won’t be an issue BUT he wanted to be a good steward with the finances of the university.

So I interpret that as, we aren’t going after a big name guy and that even though I have ample resources, I probably won’t be using them.

• Angry
Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I am frustrated with the direction this is headed. I simply do not understand why Nebraska always has to go cheap with coaching hires or feels the need to have any sort of “Midwest” or “Nebraska” connection.

These hires come in with preconceived ideas of what you need to do to be successful at Nebraska. Usually we end up with a coach that is already conservative or turns conservative because of pressure from past success. As if that is the only way to win football games. One exception was Bill Callahan and even he hired at least 2 guys with connections to the past and was forced out after Osborne was hired as AD.

At this point, my belief is that we need to go completely outside the family and hire a coach that is just going to do it his way. With that said, I would hire a guy with connection to the states of Texas, California or the SE and a guy who isn’t afraid to sell a vision to top recruits instead of waiting for the leftovers. A coach that will hire a DC that coaches aggressive defense and an OC that will put out a balanced offense that is exciting enough to attract top level QBs and WR as well as RBs.

The desire of some of the fans to hire a coach that will simply get us back to relevancy is short sighted. As much as I want to go to bowl games and play in meaningful games in November, I have no desire to be Iowa or Wisconsin as an end goal.

Sorry for the long post. Just needed to get that off my chest.
Considering Iowa has won 7 in a row vs Nebraska and Wisconsin has one 9 in a row vs Nebraska, being like Wisconsin or Iowa would be a big improvement over the dumpster fire we have now.

Before we can become the next Alabama or Georgia, we must first become like Wisconsin and Iowa and win the games we are supposed to win. Once we start winning the games we should win, then we can start competing with the Ohio State's and the Alabama's of college football.

Considering Iowa has won 7 in a row vs Nebraska and Wisconsin has one 9 in a row vs Nebraska, being like Wisconsin or Iowa would be a big improvement over the dumpster fire we have now.

Before we can become the next Alabama or Georgia, we must first become like Wisconsin and Iowa and win the games we are supposed to win. Once we start winning the games we should win, then we can start competing with the Ohio State's and the Alabama's of college football.
Again, the problem with that line of thinking is that when you get to Iowa or Wisconsin’s level, and that is your ceiling, you look stupid firing coaches that have won eight, nine, 10 games per year. We have done that 2 times and both times took a black eye in the eyes of the media and other coaches. This Fanbase does not have the ability to just win a certain number of games and not compete for conference and national titles. It has been proven on at least two probably three occasions.

Alberts said he wasn’t there to win the press conference and that money won’t be an issue BUT he wanted to be a good steward with the finances of the university.

So I interpret that as, we aren’t going after a big name guy and that even though I have ample resources, I probably won’t be using them.
IMO that last line was just lip service for tight asses like me. I have no doubt IF we could get a home run coach that Trev would raid the vault. Who we gonna get. It took 12M+, a beach house and untold other perks to get Riley to USC. Didn’t get like 80 million guaranteed? I think we might actually do something like that to get Urban but what coach are we going to poach, pay a 30 million buyout for and then guarantee him 80-100 million?

THAT is why I’ve thought that maybe in fact we do need to hire a bright young guy whose name isn’t bouncing around in the box. Hire Lincoln Riley’s younger brother. Hire Todd Monken. Hell go hire Viegen from Montana State.

It’s probably good I’m not making the decision but damn at some point you have to look at the analytics of your ROI on with a coach. Rhule and BOB have the best resumes but maybe we need to just roll the f’n dice and go get DeBoer or one of the other young guys I listed

Reactions: WHCSC

Which big name guy is willing to take the job and what’s the guarantee going to have to be? I believe, no I know we have approached the biggest names out there. There’s no bigger name than Urban and it’s been widely reported that there’s been communication.

I didn’t take it that way at all. Nothing more than just trying to appease the cheap crowd.

Yep, thankfully we are in an era where you can flip 40 guys in one year. But, I think we’d be significantly better just upgrading 3 areas the most… OL, LB, and DB. And depth wise, QB of course.
I thought we had some good WRs and RBs, and some guys on the DL have done ok.
But, yes, let’s get as many guys as we can and coach them up. And practice hard like other teams so we don’t choke away every effing game. That’s why we need the new coach named on Sunday… we still have a recruiting class to keep and a few more guys to sign.
I am guessing if the coach is from another school we will pick up a few of their recruits.
Agree. As far as the OL, I don't care if they come through the portal or the JUCOs. NU needs some men in that OL and an OL coach who will help develop them into a workable unit. (Easier said than done), Corcoran at maybe C, Nouilli possibly at either G position, and then maybe Teddy if he rehabs again and can stay healthy. Although, Teddy is actually ranked lower than Benhart... NU just doesn't need more fillers like Hunter and Williams, NU needs some Day 1 starters that are a lot better than what NU currently has.

NU needs to find those nasty SOBs in the OL and start to show other teams through some physicality that a change may be on the way. NU doesn't, and likely never will approach the types of OLswe all saw 100 years ago. But, there needs to be a strong effort to show on film that this is not patty cake trench work anymore.

Lotta work for a new HC and staff to do. Start by booting Duval and get a real S & C coach in the house.

Reactions: WHCSC

I take it as Trev wants to make the best decision possible. That doesn't mean cheap. I think nobody knows what's going to happen. I believe Trev is going to make the best decision possible.

I prefer not to hear anything about TO, tradition, option football, alumni, getting back to the way it was, “add any one of a million homer Husker comments”, etc.

I could give a sh*t less about what system they run, what they look like, who they prefer to have sex with, whatever.

Just hire somebody that can assemble a staff that can coach, develop, and recruit young men to be the best they can be.

The tools that made Nebraska culture successful in the 80s and 90s no longer exist. It’s dumb to hold onto that and force those connections into this landscape. The tools to assemble successful rosters are different now than they were just a few years ago let alone 25-40. If the culture remained intact during that entire time and it adapted rather than attempting to re-invent it every five years it might still be a winner.

Hire someone who can build a culture. Give them time and have realistic expectations. Cultures build consistency. Records don’t tell the entire story. Is Matt Rhule a culture builder or did he benefit from a pre-established culture?

IMO the top hires would be Beliema or Campbell. Though, I’m glad Campbell is staying at ISU because I like what he is doing there; they will be back contending for a B12 title soon. Beliema deserves better support than Illinois gives him.
This. We cant keep pretending it's 1995. The game of college football has changed dramatically. The reason we won in the 70s 80s and 90s is because we were innovative, cutting edge. In the 70s we were the first team that had strength and conditioning and the 80s we were the first ones with PEDs. 90s we had partial qualifiers. County scholarship program. No Title IX. The game has changed drastically. We have to be innovative again. In the 2000s 2010s and 20s we've clung to the past. We got away from innovating and worried about tradition. Its fine to be proud of your past but you have to focus on how your going to win as the game changes. NIL and Transfer portal. We need to be ahead of the game in those of we are going to get to where we want to be.

I take it as Trev wants to make the best decision possible. That doesn't mean cheap. I think nobody knows what's going to happen. I believe Trev is going to make the best decision possible.
I hope so as well. But along with Tuco those statements from Trev scare me a bit.
I don't give a **** about tight wads. Tell people Nebraska will spend what it takes to be a national football power again.

I wish we would focus on running the ball again, this pass happy stuff has got us 2 wins per season...
when dr. tom ran the ball we won at atleast 9 games a season, sure it took him 20 years to win the NC..but we were constantly in the top ten running the ball..

I know there's alot of fans that think we will hire urban myer and become the marino duper claton show out bidding usc for recruits..but to me that just fantasy....

run the ball, stop the run, win the game...

remember, the greatest qb of all time (back when qb's could be hit) depended on backs like creig and rathmen.

Reactions: Bruce1981 and WHCSC
Again, the problem with that line of thinking is that when you get to Iowa or Wisconsin’s level, and that is your ceiling, you look stupid firing coaches that have won eight, nine, 10 games per year. We have done that 2 times and both times took a black eye in the eyes of the media and other coaches. This Fanbase does not have the ability to just win a certain number of games and not compete for conference and national titles. It has been proven on at least two probably three occasions.
You got to win 9-10 first before you can start to compete for conference championships and playoff bids.

This. We cant keep pretending it's 1995. The game of college football has changed dramatically. The reason we won in the 70s 80s and 90s is because we were innovative, cutting edge. In the 70s we were the first team that had strength and conditioning and the 80s we were the first ones with PEDs. 90s we had partial qualifiers. County scholarship program. No Title IX. The game has changed drastically. We have to be innovative again. In the 2000s 2010s and 20s we've clung to the past. We got away from innovating and worried about tradition. Its fine to be proud of your past but you have to focus on how your going to win as the game changes. NIL and Transfer portal. We need to be ahead of the game in those of we are going to get to where we want to be.
THIS!!! Some truths listed here that will trigger some, but truth nonetheless.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT