ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Frost, you need a new defensive coordinator

Funniest thing about this thread is this is the defense Frost wants. He wants an aggressive D that swipes the ball to score a lot of points but his offense can't score the points when the D does. Frost is riding everyone he has until he is ran out of town.
Im afraid that is the case.

This was the first Nebraska game I watched this season. Your DC is not the reason for this loss. Special teams and penalties are what were glaring to me. In fact, through the 3rd quarter and into the 4th imo it was your D that kept Nebraska in the game. Sure giving up 31 points looks bad in isolation...but a PU offense can put points on good Ds (last year's Iowa team for example) even without the benefit of great field position.

Special teams were glaring? Maybe we should have blocked 4 punts instead of just 2.

Special teams were glaring? Maybe we should have blocked 4 punts instead of just 2.
I realize my mistake, got NE and PU special teams mixed up in the moment :) So amend comment along the lines of "(despite) glaringly productive ST performance..."
Overall I still don't see your D as the reason for loss. Any D constantly put in bad position, will give up points -- pointing to a particular drive (for example the final one) is only coulda shoulda. Again, I've seen this at Iowa as well where the D keeps us alive through most of the game but gives up a crucial TD that stands out only because it happens late.

I realize my mistake, got NE and PU special teams mixed up in the moment :) So amend comment along the lines of "(despite) glaringly productive ST performance..."
Overall I still don't see your D as the reason for loss. Any D constantly put in bad position, will give up points -- pointing to a particular drive (for example the final one) is only coulda shoulda. Again, I've seen this at Iowa as well where the D keeps us alive through most of the game but gives up a crucial TD that stands out only because it happens late.
Purdue did whatever they wanted in the 2nd and 4th qtrs on offense. Both sides of the ball sucked.

Reactions: oldjar07
Funniest thing about this thread is this is the defense Frost wants. He wants an aggressive D that swipes the ball to score a lot of points but his offense can't score the points when the D does. Frost is riding everyone he has until he is ran out of town.

I noticed a few opportunities where guys looked like they couldve ripped ball out but didn’t really go for it- one was alex davis punching it when he probably couldve just grabbed it.

I noticed a few opportunities where guys looked like they couldve ripped ball out but didn’t really go for it- one was alex davis punching it when he probably couldve just grabbed it.

Worst OLB in NU history

I think it’s worth noting we had approx 7 former four star recruits playing on defense today and several more 5.7 type guys- all with two years in the system. We also know that is likely more than what Purdue had on their D.
We’re not likely to ever recruit a whole lot better than that any time soon, so
while sometimes there’s recruiting busts. The overall failure of the defense seems to point to the coaching as much or more than players.

Last edited:
Head coaches should act like a CEO, not try to run things and ignore other things. Scott needs someone to run the offense and he should step back and oversee both O and D. Not just say things like "I don't call the D".
We brought Frost here for his offensive system and ability to run it. That's what every team was looking for when considering hiring Frost. I do agree with you he can't just ignore the D like he has been. Either he needs to get a lot better at managing both sides or he needs to hire a DC with a lot more experience than Chinander. Frost is a good playcaller when he has the players and he should continue to call plays. He does need to get a lot better at identifying weaknesses in his players and be able to manage it. Getting cute all the time hasn't been working. Just run a simple downfield pass with a crosser over the middle if the qb needs to check down. Not every play needs to be a cute screen play to the sideline.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Scott Frosts offense crapped the bed on multiple occasions in the first half - the fact that this was a close game late in the 4th was a result of Frosts inept offense.
It really gets old blaming either the offense or the defense for losses every week. They both suck and both sides are responsible for the loss. Does it really matter which one sucks worse on any given week?

Reactions: SC_'sker
xZqcr2.gif

Reactions: c3o
I’m going to say it’s a real dumpster fire, I think coach frost looked at the roster and most passed the eye test, but that’s it nothing in side. Number two most of his assistants are not big 10 caliber coaches. My goddess you let a walk on third string quarterback drive the ball 84 yards for a winning touchdown, is unexceptionable. Chin doesn’t need to be fired he should do the right thing and resign at season’s end. I thought cosgrove was bad, chin makes him look like buddy ryan and the 85 Chicago bears

I have always said Frost will make the tough choice when it is time to do it. The time will be this season. Week after week the same things keep coming up from the other teams in post games. That is an issue that can't be fixed with recruiting A, B or C.

So being that you are a Frost expert, are you thinking he will fire Chinander after the Iowa game or after the recruits sign? Who do you think he will go after?

I dont put as much of it on the defense as I do the offense. Sorry but when you can put 28 points on the board before they score but the offense blows 3 of the TDs out of their ass what do you expect the defense to do? Nebraska could have put that game away in the 1st half. Until Frost learns his golden boy needs to ride the bench then dont expect too much out of this offense.

Frost didn’t forget how to coach an offense overnight. He just needs more pieces. Problem is that he doesn’t coach the defense and he needs an average one at least to outscore opponents. That’s the difference in 4-5 vs 7-2

Additionally, if you had Stanley Morgan Jr. and Ozigbo, you’re 7-2. If you had them or similar players and a defense, maybe you’re 8-1
They should have been replaced, but nothing even close

Yep. Scott cost them the game today refusing to just run Mills or Adrian inside the 3 yard line and pissing away points.

Your QB shows you he doesn't have it today, at some point either believe him or bench him. Don't keep dialing up more wide screens like a moron.
Do we really think Bunch was going to give us a better chance to win?

The offense didn’t put the game away like they should have, but the defense was hardly put in a bad position. Purdue’s average starting field position was inside their own 20.

Last edited:
Speaking of DC's, wow. Nick Holt is a crazy man. Looks like he's about to blow a gasket. Hope he learns to cool down or he just won't last.

Frost has a little Bo in him when it comes to stubbornness IMO
Who did Tom fire over the years? Im actually asking because I dont know, not to be a smartass.

And where does a change happen first, offense or defense? I think both need to be looked at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT