ADVERTISEMENT

Rose Bowl

lliinois, Northwestern, Purdue & Wisconsin

Iowa 4-0
Nebraska 0-4
Iowa's schedule is an issue and if they lose and OSU doesn't make the playoffs along with MSU, Iowa will probably get left out of the Rose Bowl. The fact that Nebraska is bad does not change this. In fact, Nebraska being bad is part of the problem.

The Rose Bowl has to take the highest ranked B1G team that is not in the playoffs.

Not necessarily, the Rose Bowl has sole discretion and will also consider division champions and last Rose Bowl appearance (#3 below). So they might pick Iowa. It's most likely Fiesta or Rose if Iowa loses.

1. When not hosting a semifinal, the Big Ten Champion will play in the Rose Bowl Game, unless among the top four teams.
2. If the Big Ten Champion qualifies for the playoff, the Rose Bowl Game will choose a replacement Big Ten team.
3. The Rose Bowl Game has sole discretion on a replacement team, and will generally select the highest‐rated available team, but will take into consideration final College Football Playoff rankings, head‐to‐head competition, division champions and most recent Rose Bowl Game appearances.

Do you HONESTLY think mighty Nebraska shouldn't be given privileged status due to their accomplishments in previous seasons? Apparently you have never been to Lincoln. somebody get this troll out of here. mods?
tumblr_inline_mhx5jrM97E1qz4rgp.gif

I think Iowa matches up well with Sparty. It will be closer than most think. While not overly talented Iowa is very sound in every aspect. Sparty sometimes loses their identity by passing to much, this allows teams to stay in the game and is why MSU has so many close games all year.

its interesting- the line opened at 3.5 and hasn't moved. I felt that many would take MSU.

Incorrect.

The Rose can choose whomever they want to from the B1G. This has been confirmed by the bowl itself, as well as the conference. Rankings will only be one part of the equation. Other factors will include head-to-head results (not applicable here) and longest drought since their last Rose appearance (strongly in Iowa's favor).

If Iowa and OSU are very close together in the final rankings, Iowa will be the selection, even with a loss in the CG.

I don't have a dog in the fight but Ohio State is clearly a more attractive choice when compared to Iowa. We can talk about lots of stuff that matters to fans ... but bowl selections are based on making money. Ohio State is a blueblood with national appeal and they are still the defending National Champs. Iowa's in the midst of a great season but losing the CCG and banking on a Rose Bowl invite might be a bit of a stretch IMHO.

Anyway, GL against Sparty.

its interesting- the line opened at 3.5 and hasn't moved. I felt that many would take MSU.

Iowa's style of football isn't pretty and while I think Sparty wins, I think it's going to be really ugly and low scoring. If anything, I'd bet Michigan State on the moneyline and Iowa with the points. I think Sparty wins 14-12.

The Rose Bowl has to take the highest ranked B1G team that is not in the playoffs.
This is actually not completely correct. If two teams are closely rated and one has been to the Rose Bowl recently and the other hasn't for a long time, the Rose Bowl committee can pick the lower ranked team. In this case, that could actually help Iowa if they lose the championship game as they haven't been to the Rose Bowl for 25 years. Ohio St was in it 6 years ago.

Although unlikely, there is the ultimate chaos scenario where Iowa not only gets left out of the Rose Bowl but could miss a New Year's Six Bowl Game entirely:

- Michigan State beats Iowa in Big Ten title game
- North Carolina upsets Clemson in ACC title game
- Stanford wins Pac-12 title game over USC

Now after those games, assume Ohio State jumps ahead of Iowa in the final CFP rankings and Stanford moves ahead of Ohio State and is put into the playoff.

In that scenario:

- Playoff Teams: Alabama, Oklahoma, Michigan State, Stanford

- That leaves eight spots for the remaining New Year's Six Games (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach)

- The Sugar Bowl has to be SEC vs. Big 12, which would likely be Ole Miss vs. Baylor

- The Rose Bowl has to be B1G vs. Pac-12. If Ohio State is ranked ahead of Iowa, the Buckeyes likely take the Big Ten slot and Oregon moves in to take the Pac-12 spot.

- North Carolina earns an automatic bid to a New Year's Six game by winning the ACC. And the highest-ranked Group of Five team also earns a spot in one of these games, which will be the winner of the Houston vs. Temple game in the American Athletic Conference title game.

- That leaves two spots remaining for likely three teams to fill out the Peach and Fiesta Bowls: Clemson, Iowa and Notre Dame. Iowa could very well be left out if it comes down to those three.

Although unlikely, there is the ultimate chaos scenario where Iowa not only gets left out of the Rose Bowl but could miss a New Year's Six Bowl Game entirely:

Now after those games, assume Ohio State jumps ahead of Iowa in the final CFP rankings and Stanford moves ahead of Ohio State and is put into the playoff.

In that scenario:

- That leaves eight spots for the remaining New Year's Six Games (Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach)

- The Sugar Bowl has to be SEC vs. Big 12, which would likely be Ole Miss vs. Baylor

- The Rose Bowl has to be B1G vs. Pac-12. If Ohio State is ranked ahead of Iowa, the Buckeyes likely take the Big Ten slot and Oregon moves in to take the Pac-12 spot.

- North Carolina earns an automatic bid to a New Year's Six game by winning the ACC. And the highest-ranked Group of Five team also earns a spot in one of these games, which will be the winner of the Houston vs. Temple game in the American Athletic Conference title game.

- That leaves two spots remaining for likely three teams to fill out the Peach and Fiesta Bowls: Clemson, Iowa and Notre Dame. Iowa could very well be left out if it comes down to those three.

If North Carolina beats Clemson, they should be in, imo. They will be conference champ and have a better win than Stanford and fewer losses. Not sure if that will happen but it should.

If North Carolina beats Clemson, they should be in, imo. They will be conference champ and have a better win than Stanford and fewer losses. Not sure if that will happen but it should.
I personally think that'd be terrible if North Carolina got into the top 4 if they beat Clemson only because NC played two FCS schools. I think you'd start seeing more schools scheduling two FCS opponents in one season because why the heck not? All you have to do is come away with one or less loss a season (that risk is decreased by scheduling more FCS schools), win your conference and you're in the top 4.

You should be punished for scheduling two FCS schools in one season.

Stanford will still have a tougher schedule, and as noted, UNC has two FCS wins on their schedule, that will come back to hurt them IMO as the committee really seems to value SOS as much as a conference championship

I personally think that'd be terrible if North Carolina got into the top 4 if they beat Clemson only because NC played two FCS schools. I think you'd start seeing more schools scheduling two FCS opponents in one season because why the heck not? All you have to do is come away with one or less loss a season (that risk is decreased by scheduling more FCS schools), win your conference and you're in the top 4.

You should be punished for scheduling two FCS schools in one season.

Most SEC teams play at least 2 FCS teams and only 8 conference games. Alabama played 3 FCS teams this year. Middle Tennessee, ULM and Charleston Southern are FCS, right? Not saying your point isn't good but it's never been held against the SEC.

Most SEC teams play at least 2 FCS teams and only 8 conference games. Alabama played 3 FCS teams this year. Middle Tennessee, ULM and Charleston Southern are FCS, right? Not saying your point isn't good but it's never been held against the SEC.

Of those 3, only Charleston Southern is FCS.

Edit: even that short, I worded it horribly.

In that scenario:

This is just mean-spirited. Pushing everyones least favorite team out of even the Peach Bowl at 12-1?

Congrats to Iowa on a great season. Even the most ardent Iowa fan has to realize this season was a mirage. this time last year about 80%+ Iowa fans wanted #FireKirk to get canned and were wondering why they had the most overrated/highest paid coach in America. Now it's #NewKirk season wa la! IF Iowa were to beat MSU (I don't see it happening, but could obviously be the case since Cook's history is throwing a good number of 50/50 balls (not this season though for the most part), can you imagine the possible playoff match of 2 vs. 3 of Bama vs. Iowa? U-G-L-Y.

Congrats to Iowa on a great season. Even the most ardent Iowa fan has to realize this season was a mirage. this time last year about 80%+ Iowa fans wanted #FireKirk to get canned and were wondering why they had the most overrated/highest paid coach in America. Now it's #NewKirk season wa la! IF Iowa were to beat MSU (I don't see it happening, but could obviously be the case since Cook's history is throwing a good number of 50/50 balls (not this season though for the most part), can you imagine the possible playoff match of 2 vs. 3 of Bama vs. Iowa? U-G-L-Y.

No argument here. Would not be looking forward to them playing either Alabama or Oklahoma.
Nothing about what you said above is wrong. Ferentz had become somewhat detached from football. Iowa can lose games. They always do. they just have zero good losses so far this year. Cmon - root for them to beat MSU and represent the West.

No, very rarely does any FBS team play two FCS teams in a season. Most SEC teams play a lot of Sun Belt schools along with an FCS opponent, but that is not much different than the majority of Big Ten schools that load up on MAC opponents along with an FCS foe.

No, very rarely does any FBS team play two FCS teams in a season. Most SEC teams play a lot of Sun Belt schools along with an FCS opponent, but that is not much different than the majority of Big Ten schools that load up on MAC opponents along with an FCS foe.
The Big 10 has put in a rule that schools can no longer schedule FCS teams.

My thoughts exactly.. i mean, It's not what your record is at the end of the season - it's whether you hang 50 points on mediocre teams throughout the year to unequivocally prove that you deserve your own record. If Nebraska went undefeated and looked as bad as Iowa did this year, I would still be disappointed and say we don't deserve a top 4 ranking. Maybe those jokers need to check our Wikipedia page to see what a REAL football dynasty looks like
Its not what your record is? If NE were undefeated with the same schedule you would be saying NE doesn't deserve to be Top 4? Whatever.......

Ugly huh. Last week you all were scattin and beboppin. I know you love to make fun of Iowa. I told you that laughter would be replaced by tears after Nebraska lost. Now I am going to tell you that Iowa can beat MSU, and this team can hold its own against anybody. 12-0 is no mirage. The difference isn't Kirks leadership The difference is Beathards leadership.
Many were upset at KF because he was so bullheaded he refused to give CJB the reigns when it was obvious he was the better leader for this team. I am glad Rudock is gone.

Ugly huh. Last week you all were scattin and beboppin. I know you love to make fun of Iowa. I told you that laughter would be replaced by tears after Nebraska lost. Now I am going to tell you that Iowa can beat MSU, and this team can hold its own against anybody. 12-0 is no mirage. The difference isn't Kirks leadership The difference is Beathards leadership.
Many were upset at KF because he was so bullheaded he refused to give CJB the reigns when it was obvious he was the better leader for this team. I am glad Rudock is gone.

Although the 12-0 is no mirage, trust me, you can't hold your own against anybody. If you were fortunate enough to get past MSU (which is a big "if"), you would get trounced by any of those in the final 4. And trounced bad. It would be the worst possible rendition of "One of these things is not like the others."

You won by 8 points when you were gifted 14 points and us losing our best safety. I doubt you score on the 2 long runs with him in the game, and things would have been a lot more interesting down the stretch.

Last edited:
What would the national public like to see potentially? Ohio State - Stanford or Iowa - Stanford? Iowa just doesn't have the name brand to compete. Hell a lot of teams don't with Ohio State.

Even against crap team, NEB included, they have to struggle to pull out a win.
Now if they were going into places like Neb and beating them by 20+ all year, yes they deserve to be where they are at. Next week will say a lot at how good Iowa really is. If they beat Mich St, they deserve to be in the Playoff no question. I just don't see it happening. Luck and playing not to lose only last so long. Eventually you need to go out and stomp on someones throat to get respect.

Interesting take...

MSU 24 Purdue 21
MSU 31 Rutgers 24
MSU 38 Nebraska 39

The worst Iowa will fall is to the Fiesta Bowl vs Notre Dame. You have to remember how much weight Barry Alvarez has with the committee and he will fight hard for Iowa and Kirk Ferentz.

What would the national public like to see potentially? Ohio State - Stanford or Iowa - Stanford? Iowa just doesn't have the name brand to compete. Hell a lot of teams don't with Ohio State.

Most would rather see Ohio St vs Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT