ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC we could land 5 of the lowest possible 3-star tonight and have the #25 class, give or take, right now.

• 5.5 3-star is the lowest
  • 60 points per 5.5 3-star
  • total of 300 (60 * 5)
Currently 344 points from #25, 318 (?) from #26, and 276 or so from #27.

5 of the lowest puts us at #27, falls right in line with a give or take.

It's gonna look better in Feb looking back than it does right now. Any realistic-looking shots at guys who push them more toward 20?

IIRC we could land 5 of the lowest possible 3-star tonight and have the #25 class, give or take, right now.
  • 5.5 3-star is the lowest
  • 60 points per 5.5 3-star
  • total of 300 (60 * 5)
Currently 344 points from #25, 318 (?) from #26, and 276 or so from #27.

5 of the lowest puts us at #27, falls right in line with a give or take.

@suhnami

I feel the need to break in with a friendly reminder...In order to move up in the recruiting rankings...we need a recruit to finally pick Nebraska. Winking

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
#25 is better than #44, but just isn't good enough. We should have higher expectations with a shiny new coach and staff.
This...a 1000 times. It seems we constantly have moving goal posts around here.

First, we bring in a coach who is supposed to contend right away. He might be old but if Bo can win 9/10 games a year than even a monkey could do that. Then our AD, who tells us we have kids who are capable of winning championships when he fires Pelini, says after we lose a bunch of games that we need to tear this down and rebuild it brick by brick. OK...he changed the goal posts but I'm going to assume those bricks are really good players.

Second, we get through one of the most miserable seasons in the last 50 years and look towards recruiting. We have a shiny new coach and lots of immediate playing time to offer. Plus, he is way more organized than the last buffoons. People are talking about classes in the teens. Then it is saying somewhere in the low 20's. Now it's saying 25...could be 28. In the end we will have to wait...maybe we get some highly ranked kids. But even if the expectations are classes in the mid-20's then we hired the wrong coach.

We need coaches who don't keep making the same stupid coaching decisions they made at the last stop and guys who can recruit with the big boys.

This...a 1000 times. It seems we constantly have moving goal posts around here.

First, we bring in a coach who is supposed to contend right away. He might be old but if Bo can win 9/10 games a year than even a monkey could do that. Then our AD, who tells us we have kids who are capable of winning championships when he fires Pelini, says after we lose a bunch of games that we need to tear this down and rebuild it brick by brick. OK...he changed the goal posts but I'm going to assume those bricks are really good players.

Second, we get through one of the most miserable seasons in the last 50 years and look towards recruiting. We have a shiny new coach and lots of immediate playing time to offer. Plus, he is way more organized than the last buffoons. People are talking about classes in the teens. Then it is saying somewhere in the low 20's. Now it's saying 25...could be 28. In the end we will have to wait...maybe we get some highly ranked kids. But even if the expectations are classes in the mid-20's then we hired the wrong coach.

We need coaches who don't keep making the same stupid coaching decisions they made at the last stop and guys who can recruit with the big boys.
With some of what you have posted here, the situation has mandated the moving goal posts...

I will never hold eichorst to his outlandish statement that we have the talent to contend for championships... I think he said what the players needed to hear. To back this up is Boyd's testing info. Call it AD speak, but it wasn't something that should have been applied as gospel truth the way you have this entire season. He said it because every AD says something like this.

The whole monkey thing was a big mistake... Never should have been said. Certainly coaching has been lacking, and maybe other coaches brought in might have done just that. But the changes made on both sides of the ball, along with the bad coaching at times, sank that ship. We were very close in several games, meaning 9 or 10 wins was very doable this year... But it didn't happen. Goal posts moved for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one is reality... 5-7.

Recruiting... It appears we are in a bad stretch right now, but who knows how we will finish? Last I checked it's still December. We will get some good recruits (you have said this too). This year may be more disappointing than we were expecting. Schools have that happen. New coaches at new schools can capitalize on a lot of things, but maybe the 5-7 record and negativity about he program, and maybe an image of diminished Nebraska football program has taken a toll. Who knows?

If the coaches don't recruit better, they sure as heck better coach better. If they don't do either well, they won't last. The goal posts are moving, in my opinion, because instant gratification won't happen under these coaches. It will take time. Will we give it to him? How much time do we give? All good questions. I don't know the answer.

With some of what you have posted here, the situation has mandated the moving goal posts...

I will never hold eichorst to his outlandish statement that we have the talent to contend for championships... I think he said what the players needed to hear. To back this up is Boyd's testing info. Call it AD speak, but it wasn't something that should have been applied as gospel truth the way you have this entire season. He said it because every AD says something like this.

The whole monkey thing was a big mistake... Never should have been said. Certainly coaching has been lacking, and maybe other coaches brought in might have done just that. But the changes made on both sides of the ball, along with the bad coaching at times, sank that ship. We were very close in several games, meaning 9 or 10 wins was very doable this year... But it didn't happen. Goal posts moved for a variety of reasons, but the biggest one is reality... 5-7.

Recruiting... It appears we are in a bad stretch right now, but who knows how we will finish? Last I checked it's still December. We will get some good recruits (you have said this too). This year may be more disappointing than we were expecting. Schools have that happen. New coaches at new schools can capitalize on a lot of things, but maybe the 5-7 record and negativity about he program, and maybe an image of diminished Nebraska football program has taken a toll. Who knows?

If the coaches don't recruit better, they sure as heck better coach better. If they don't do either well, they won't last. The goal posts are moving, in my opinion, because instant gratification won't happen under these coaches. It will take time. Will we give it to him? How much time do we give? All good questions. I don't know the answer.

I completely resent your even keeled approach, your use of common sense, and mostly I resent your relentless optimism. How dare you, Sir. Perhaps you can't read, but this is a time for great pessimism, panic, depression, and chest pounding about how you knew this was going to be bad. December might as well be signing day, and Harbaugh and Meyer aren't our coaches. Our time in the sun is at an end, forever. Put in the '95 Fiesta Bowl video (in the VCR you keep around for that and only that) and enjoy the good old days. With Riley as our coach and Eichorst as our AD it is clear that things will only get worse, forever and ever, amen.

I completely resent your even keeled approach, your use of common sense, and mostly I resent your relentless optimism. How dare you, Sir. Perhaps you can't read, but this is a time for great pessimism, panic, depression, and chest pounding about how you knew this was going to be bad. December might as well be signing day, and Harbaugh and Meyer aren't our coaches. Our time in the sun is at an end, forever. Put in the '95 Fiesta Bowl video (in the VCR you keep around for that and only that) and enjoy the good old days. With Riley as our coach and Eichorst as our AD it is clear that things will only get worse, forever and ever, amen.
It's like I got off the sauce just long enough for a moment of clarity. After posting that I remembered how bad things really are and started boozing once again. I think I just better start following another team if I ever want to be happy with college football again.

Reactions: dinglefritz
You & I don't agree very often TT but on this one we see pretty much eye to eye. Personally I think we'll finish in the top 20.
Sparky, I hope you know something the rest of us don't. Maybe the W over UCLA will convince some recruits that Lincoln would be a great choice? Feel free to correct my observations, but it seems that we have 3-4 pretty good recruiters, and some that need a fire under their tails. Assuming we lose both Collins & Valentine, somebody coaching DL's better get busy soon, and I'm talking a couple of JUCO's wouldn't hurt. A couple of road-graders on O-line would be nice so I'm hoping Farniok is N.

22-28 is where I see the class landing. 2017 has the makings of a top 15-ish class.

How does that happen with the visit schedule 2 more players and the list of offered players list having most committed elsewhere? Do we need an updated target-offer list-visit list? Otherwise I think 15-20 is generous and over that I can not see?

How does that happen with the visit schedule 2 more players and the list of offered players list having most committed elsewhere? Do we need an updated target-offer list-visit list? Otherwise I think 15-20 is generous and over that I can not see?
Speak English.

"Big Red fans have earned the title of the “greatest” in college sports. This is a shared belief among other schools’ fans all the way up to pundits and sports administrations across the country. You can imagine how bad it sounds when the batch of spoiled apples from such a passionate group of people are denouncing a first-year coach as loudly as several Big Red backers have been in 2015. It’s an easy negative recruiting topic to use."

Any spoiled apples here???

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ures-what-nebraska-fans-expect-moving-forward

Sparky, I hope you know something the rest of us don't. Maybe the W over UCLA will convince some recruits that Lincoln would be a great choice? Feel free to correct my observations, but it seems that we have 3-4 pretty good recruiters, and some that need a fire under their tails. Assuming we lose both Collins & Valentine, somebody coaching DL's better get busy soon, and I'm talking a couple of JUCO's wouldn't hurt. A couple of road-graders on O-line would be nice so I'm hoping Farniok is N.
i thik we're in on some really good recruits that will go ouur way

We should be happy we're in the top 50. It's very hard to recruit to Nebraska, I think top 50 is a good goal to aim for.

I really hope that's sarcasm, and I'm almost assuming it has to be consider 408 could get around the top 25-30 with a month vacation every summer and picking up pieces off the scrap heap each winter. So, either your laying the sarcasm on thick, or you're hitting the bottle pretty early on new years eve.

#25 is better than #44, but just isn't good enough. We should have higher expectations with a shiny new coach and staff.

According to Clouse if Nebraska signs its top 5 targets (Farinok, Simmons, Butler, Fitz, and Jackson, it will push Nebraska to 14th in the rankings. Many believe 3 of the 5 are definite, and more than likely get all 5, so we'll see.

According to Clouse if Nebraska signs its top 5 targets (Farinok, Simmons, Butler, Fitz, and Jackson, it will push Nebraska to 14th in the rankings. Many believe 3 of the 5 are definite, and more than likely get all 5, so we'll see.
That would require a reversal of their recent momentum.

Everyone is talking national ranking, why don't we make it a little simpler. Can NU move past Wisconsin to make it to 5th in the Big Ten?

When four teams in your own conference are out-recruiting you, that's not gonna get it. Still waiting on PSU to not suck for a year, and yet all they do is keep having nice classes. 8 kids at 4-star to NU's 3. Michigan State has 10. But you know, Lincoln just can't compete with exciting places like East Lansing with all its crappy buildings and ugly coeds...

Reactions: AndyHanline
Next year we have a good QB coming in, but we need to address some weaknesses right now in recruiting. The Huskers need a JUCO DE, a JUCO Lockdown CB, and a JUCO OT. We need these players to come in immediately and contribute. If we can address these concerns, then 2016-17 looks like we have the potential of a very good team.

Kind of a "we live a vacuum approach" from Clouse. Other teams will be signing recruits as well and improving their scores.

With the 5 recruits mentioned we will add 431 points, when added to our current 1279 points our total would be 1710 points.

Over the last 3 years (the 3 years Rivals has been using it's newest calculation method) the points required for the 25th ranking are as follows:

2015 - 1805 points
2014 - 1792 points
2013 - 1722 points

The rich have gotten richer in the top 25 over the last 3 years. No telling how this year will turn out concerning rich getting richer, but landing those 5 recruits (and only those 5) will likely put us just shy of top 25.

Kind of a "we live a vacuum approach" from Clouse. Other teams will be signing recruits as well and improving their scores.

With the 5 recruits mentioned we will add 431 points, when added to our current 1279 points our total would be 1710 points.

Over the last 3 years (the 3 years Rivals has been using it's newest calculation method) the points required for the 25th ranking are as follows:

2015 - 1805 points
2014 - 1792 points
2013 - 1722 points

The rich have gotten richer in the top 25 over the last 3 years. No telling how this year will turn out concerning rich getting richer, but landing those 5 recruits (and only those 5) will likely put us just shy of top 25.

It would be over 500 points

It would be over 500 points

Mr.Scary...you are correct. I used the wrong "Jackson". So my error. With LAMAR Jackson, not Alaric Jackson, the points would be 526. Added to our current total would be 1805.

Not knowing how the final points versus rankings pan out, 1805 would be a top 25 class in any of the last 3 years. 14th ranking? We will need to land more top guys for 14th.

The high from the bowl game has finally worn off it looks like...

Now it's time to judge recruiting once again before the recruiting cycle is complete. For some reason, I thought this approach may have died down... I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT