ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Who will be the starting QB?

Who will be named starting QB?

• Gebbia

Votes: 124 62.0%
  • Martinez

Votes: 76 38.0%

• Total voters
Yeah he was with Cam and Alec Cromer, I think I saw the Banker kid from Skutt also. Nice to see him getting tight with a some good Nebraska boys!

Let them each play in the first game and whoever does the best you name him the starter the rest of the way. Doesn't matter to me, I just want to win baby!! GO BIG RED!!!

Gotta love NU fan's ability to multiplex. Not only are we debating Gebbia Martinez, but we are revisiting Frost/Turman the 1996 ASU game. My recollection of that game was Frost had a bad pitch that was a safety and got sacked for another safety when he should have thrown it out of bounds. However, that loss was a team effort. I think NU came in believing they could win just by showing up. Especially since they beat ASU like a drum the year before. They ran into a buzzsaw of a fired up ASU team that played a near perfect game. ASU was on fire and we were flat. I didn't drive over from SoCal because I figured it would be a blowout. Jake plumber was in a zone. Goes to show on any given Saturday stuff happens.
Defense couldn't be faulted. Gave up one TD and two FGs and sacked Plummer like 6 times. Offense committed 3 safeties and scored zero points. To strain your defense like that and they only give up 13 points is pretty crazy.

One safety was a bad option pitch, another was a God-awful sack, I'm not sure about the snap out of the end zone that ended up being a safety. Don't recall if it was a punt or shotgun or what. NU had 6 fumbles and lost 3. SF had the absolute yips but they let him keep at it. A national title later it proved to be the right choice.

I think a lot of us just take for granted that because AM runs better he has the most upside. This may be true but isn’t it just as likely that Gebbia is able to diagnose a defense and throw more accurately better in the future than he can now. So isn’t it just as likely that in those area Gebbia reaches a level that AM never can reach. After all Gebbia is only one year older so I don’t think he should be at the end of his development. Aaron Rodgers sure did make a lot of improvement in his accuracy and decision make throughout his career and that is why he is the best QB in football now.

I just hope that Frost isn’t the type of coach that plays favorites. I am going to trust that whoever he chooses is the best player right now and not the one he hopes will be better in the future.

Note some of you...he’s asking who you think WILL be starting...not who you’d like to start. I’m a fan of Martinez and Gebbia both (I never gave up on Gebbia just because we got Frost as HC, the young mans a great talent...held almost ever D1 offer available and choose us over Bama, Ole Miss, UCLA and USC if I remember correctly).

Everything I been reading and hearing is ultimately pointing to Gebbia. Sounds like he’s the most consistent, makes the less mistakes and won’t coast us the game on decision making. That’s no knock to Martinez, he’s a true freshman that’s barley 18 years old. He will shine and soon. And he’s the perfect fit for Frosts offense.

But this year alone, this WILL be Gebbias team. Next year and on...good luck to Gebbia holding off Martinez, McCaffery and Smothers. I’m curious to see if Martinez can hold off McCaffery and Smothers when he takes over from Gebbia. Good days ahead at QB for us. About time too.

Scrimmage on Wed.....Gebbia did well. Martinez made a few costly mistakes.

This evening another scrimmage is planned and the students are allowed to watch without their cell phones, we should find out later tonight who it will be..

Reactions: huskerssalts
I think they're giving AM every opportunity to win the job because they want him to win it, otherwise the starter would have already been named. I just want them to win.

Reactions: TheBeav815
I guess I don’t see it that way... if they want to give it to AM, give it to him now and get him first team reps most of the fall practices. “TG, you are the starter by how you’ve done better than AM overall in practice, but we want AM to have every opportunity to succeed instead of you so we are extending the QB competition.”

I know you aren’t saying it this way Red Scowl, and I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, I just think it’s too close to call one over the other, which is why a starter hasn’t been named.

I agree with your final statement. I just want them to win as well.

Reactions: red scowl
Maybe they need yet another scrimmage, and that will tell coach something he hasn't seen yet.... :rolleyes:

This is a more like a bad joke now.

Scrimmage on Wed.....Gebbia did well. Martinez made a few costly mistakes.

I’m actually starting to think Frost knows this is Gebbias year but wants to keep Martinez happy and keep his head right in it and not kind of give up on this season....so he kind of drags it out...getting the most out of both QBs. The little hints he has quoted “we will mold our offense around the QB that we pick” kind of fits the bill for Gebbia being the starter. I bet anything the QB battle is close, very close but Gebbia being more consistent and making less mistakes has to have Frost thinking...”ok this Gebbia kid is for real, we will mold the offense around him this year and keep Martinez right in the thick of things too”. Just some thoughts I have had going off some direct quotes from Frost.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Yeah he was with Cam and Alec Cromer, I think I saw the Banker kid from Skutt also. Nice to see him getting tight with a some good Nebraska boys!

That’s awesome, glad to hear he’s buddy buddy with our local Beatrice boy Cam Jurgens. Hopefully he enjoyed our home town Beatrice and the new field we put up, lol but I’m sure he’s seen 10 times better in Cali where he’s from ;)

We aren't going undefeated with either qb this year so the qb controversy will continue...hell in 94 we had a qb controversy and we were undefeated. Gebbia is going to get rocked at times, he isn't going to solidify himself unless we win 10 games, and Martinez will be a frosh again next year, but will likely be bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. The real question is do you let Martinez play early in the year and blow his RSH, or save him for the last 4 games when he is likely to be more mentally ready, then save his RSH and have a stud for 4 years. I think the fact that Martinez is as far along as he is is a great sign for Adrian. A true freshman coming into a new system and hanging on through his first fall camp is a true testament to his maturity and ability. Remember he hasn't played in a real game for a long time. Gebbia should have won easily based on his experience of being a college qb for a year and not having to adjust to college life. It is smart to have the most poised guy take over, but eventually AM will catch up, either this year or the next.

This evening another scrimmage is planned and the students are allowed to watch without their cell phones, we should find out later tonight who it will be..

I guess they were forced to actually watch the scrimmage instead of playing Fortnite. Coach Frost can be ruthless at times. Coach Frost bringing discipline back to the university. Winking

I’m on the other side. I think the longer it drags out the more favors Gebbia. The key to me is that it appears that Martinez it’s going to have to beat out Gebbia. I think in a perfect world they would want to start Martinez and if he were ahead or even, they could easily name him the starter. But they haven’t.

This, and then some. I’m thinking that this will be used as an ongoing QB development session with Frost and Verduzco to develop the traits they want to see on the field from the QB position. It’s setting up to be an ongoing discussion piece, if that’s true. But it will help the team in the long run, IMO. Too close to call means that their “guy” isn’t settled just yet, but will be pushed to get there. It’s not a winner take all scenario, it’s a winner take it and fight off to keep your job while we develop both at once. It’s a fine line if that’s the case

Remember he hasn't played in a real game for a long time. Gebbia should have won easily based on his experience of being a college qb for a year and not having to adjust to college life. It is smart to have the most poised guy take over, but eventually AM will catch up, either this year or the next.

Gebbia hasn’t exactly played in a game for awhile either. No matter how you shake it the road will be a bumpy one. We’re going to have QB controversy this season most likely due to our QB’s being as green as they come.

Can't see the poll on my phone, but last I checked it was running about 3 to 1 for Gebbia.

So, most of us on the board are clueless. ;)

Reactions: timnsun
Can't see the poll on my phone, but last I checked it was running about 3 to 1 for Gebbia.

So, most of us on the board are clueless. ;)

Not necessary, Gebbia is a good QB with an accurate arm and it appears he just doesn’t have the athletic ability that 2AM has moving forward...

The Clueless ones were the ones that thought Mike Riley was a good hire.

I’m actually starting to think Frost knows this is Gebbias year but wants to keep Martinez happy and keep his head right in it and not kind of give up on this season....so he kind of drags it out...getting the most out of both QBs. The little hints he has quoted “we will mold our offense around the QB that we pick” kind of fits the bill for Gebbia being the starter. I bet anything the QB battle is close, very close but Gebbia being more consistent and making less mistakes has to have Frost thinking...”ok this Gebbia kid is for real, we will mold the offense around him this year and keep Martinez right in the thick of things too”. Just some thoughts I have had going off some direct quotes from Frost.

Maybe that is what Frost has in mind.....he is looking to get the best out of both guys. Let's hope so. Because how you handle an announcement of this magnitude with the player that is not going to win the job, is way more important than who the starter is, a lot of times. So like I said, let's hope that is what is going on.

Otherwise, AM had better be that good, because I think it is important to look a young man in the eye and explain what they may have to work on yet, why they did not win the job, and to tell them how important they are to the team and to keep working.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT