ADVERTISEMENT

Player Attitude Adjustment On the Way

Don’t care about this past season now. Riley’s erea is over with and now starts Frosts erea. I love seeing Stan the Man Morgan, Tanner Lee, Pat OBrein, Barry, Lindsey and bunch of players are ready to get to work, and their excited to have Frost and buying into the coaches already. QB wise, looks like OBrein nor Lee are going ANYWHERE and looking forward to learning Frosts offense (and I’m guessing the same goes with Gebbia) What made my day was seeing Stan Morgan saying he’s excited in what he sees in Frosts passing game and looking forward to it...and shot down declaring early. Sounds like we may NOT get many transfers. Sounds like most are excited and fired up. So big things ahead and I’m ready. Past is the past....new erea starts NOW.

I think that tanner lee is far from excited. Zero chance he starts if he sticks around. Frost is not gonna do the Mike Riley method of scrapping his offense And adapting to tanner lees skillset ala Thomas arm-inaccurate.

I think that tanner lee is far from excited. Zero chance he starts if he sticks around. Frost is not gonna do the Mike Riley method of scrapping his offense And adapting to tanner lees skillset ala Thomas arm-inaccurate.
Lee's not going to start, but he can make all the throws in Frost's offense. He's an excellent option as a backup qb if the starter goes down. In the end, it's still football and it's not THAT big of a difference between a spread passing game and pro style passing game.

Lee's not going to start, but he can make all the throws in Frost's offense. He's an excellent option as a backup qb if the starter goes down. In the end, it's still football and it's not THAT big of a difference between a spread passing game and pro style passing game.

I respectfully disagree
While Lee definitely has an arm and he showed great toughness, he isnt a fit for this offense

This offense is designed for QBs that are great split second decision makers and many of the plays have a QB run threat as part of the play. With Lee in there the Defense can completely ignore the QB run portion of the play.

The play concepts put a defense in a real bind which allows for a lot of seperation for our receivers. How many of Lees throws had to be EXTREMELY accurate this year- because the coverage was right there. HCSFs offense creates open receivers- which are EASIER passes to complete. They dont have to be NFL pinpoint strikes.

That just throws everything off in a well designed and proven offense. You only have x amount of time to prepare a team- you dont want to have to put in a bunch of plays all of the QBs and team has to learn- because of the lack of talent of one player- when there are viable options at QB that may be better fits for the offense. AND Im not convinced even the basic spread plays that have a handoff option - Lee will execute well. Hes great in shorts with no defense- when it comes time to read live defenses and make split second decisions- not so much.

Remember this is also a very fast offense with lots of formations, options and motions. It requires good pre snap and post snap reads. NU doesnt want to add in more on top of that for in what in my mind is an unproven QB-. He hasnt proven that he can consistently make good decisions in real games. The delta between all the QBs when it comes to this offense- is not large- there is little upside to making a bunch of accommodations for Lee.

We dont know where this will shake out at QB- will be able to say in Spring ball- . It will be very evident if Gebbia, POB or Wilson can do this. Bunch should be an able emergency back up and then you add Martinez in the Fall and redshirt him for the 2019 season.

Expectations are very low and we have a tough schedule. Now is the time to rip off the bandaid and build for the future. Get to 6-6 and win the bowl game- the next year its 8 wins and then 2020 sets up for a breakout year with more of HCSF's kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky62
Ive hesitated to call out the players because players are a reflection of the mission and approach of the coaching staff. Im sure we have lots of good kids in the program.

However- as a season ticket holder since 1970 who always takes my kids down to watch the players come in- Ive seen some things I dont like at all.

During losses- I see players laughing, smiling, joking around. At the OSU game when we walked by the sidelines to line up for the players running in at the half- one player is laughing- all smiles, joking around with another player. It wasnt a one off thing, same kid doing the very same thing when we walked past to our seats after halftime. I wont post his number but it PISSED me off. it was Like he was standing on a flag and insulting all those who had come before him and sacrificed, worked hard, played hard etc

Moos talked about having that 'sacred pride" of wearing the NU uniform with pride. That has definitely slipped. Hats off to Moos for even seeing it and making it a priority- he was visibly miffed by it.

Prior to the NU- OSU game- when our kids were running out of the tunnel- they looked like they were in the waiting room to get a root canal or colostomy. What I saw was fear and trepidation- to play a team an Iowa team- lesser talented than us Iowa- DIDNT fear and blew out. That is leadership void from coaching staff and players.

That is leadership and coaching reflected in the players.

Lack of pride, lack of competitiveness, lack of common purpose, lack of accountability
It's not all the kids- but what I saw would have never been acceptable in the 70s, 80s, 90s - or on any legitimate college football contender.Christian Peter or Grant Wistrom wouldnt have allowed it- nor would the coaches.

Kids who HATE to lose and are competitors- do not laugh and joke around in blowout losses. They arent afraid of competition. They arent showing up on Saturdays to wear a costume and "play act" football so they can say they are on the team or get girls. I expect we wont see any of that on a Scott Frost coached team.

Isn’t this said after every firing? And before people go to “yeah, but this time it’s different”. Time will tell and it won’t be soon.

There will be a fair amount of attrition, especially with seniors who do not crack the
2 or 3 deep. No disrespect to these players but they will not be fits or their size, speed &
position may not be relevant any longer.

King DE not a div1 player senior, Tanner Lee fish out of water, Williams coaches son, Darlington medical,
Newell ?, Snyder TE do not need 6 scholarship TEs, there will be others. We have too many Olinemen,
too many smallish LBs, our RBs do not have break away speed, some players won’t like the physical
nature going forward. Attrition will be in 8 to 10 range by the time fall camp rolls around.

The roster needs some turnover, happens when u have coaching changes, I am sure it will be
handled correctly by our coaches. Tough business, tough decisions, too much dead weight.

I'm going to throw this out and see what sticks. I'm not always sold that getting all these great recruits is necessarily the best move. Getting the best "team" players are. I cringe a little bit every time I hear some highly "star" rated player tweeting all this stuff for attention. I trust Scott to see the difference. I'm not sure I trusted the last staff to see the difference.

Reactions: gomerxx
I'm going to throw this out and see what sticks. I'm not always sold that getting all these great recruits is necessarily the best move. Getting the best "team" players are. I cringe a little bit every time I hear some highly "star" rated player tweeting all this stuff for attention. I trust Scott to see the difference. I'm not sure I trusted the last staff to see the difference.
Yeah we have no need for those high rated guys. Osborne never had them, right?

I hear you, but check out the playoff teams and where they landed with recruiting rankings :). Or the top 10 for that matter. You won’t like the answer.

3 heart kids hasn’t worked in 18 years and counting.

Remember when Olinemen took pride in the number of pancakes they had? When was the last time you heard anyone say pancake when referring to our OL?

Do reverse pancakes count? We had lots of those.
Sometimes they give them to themselves. :rolleyes:
nebraska-lineman-falls-over.gif

Reactions: planored
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT