ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The CDC's most recent statement on what "could" happen as COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, the quarantines may have slowed the virus some. People self quarantining and being more careful with their behavior and personal hygiene probably helped a bunch. The bigger thing IMO is that this has been going on long enough now that there is somewhat of a firewall where there are more and more recovered immune people walking around. I suspect that if you did a serological study of average Wuhan citizens you would find the vast majority have antibodies to COVID-19 now.

if the store shelves of disenfectant cleaners/hand soap etc. are any indication - we will be in good shape.
we’ll take a bit longer on the ‘self-quarantining’. imo.

Unfortunately I am in that age group; more rather than less. I've found I'm the only one whom is being proactive among my peers.

I've bought masks for my elderly parents, whom couldn't find any. I want to help look out for them if this hits close to home. They thought surgical masks would protect them, but they wont...

As for me, I have a n95 mask with several spare filters. I have a half bottle of sanitizer. I have yet to buy food for 2 weeks like they say, though.

My peers tell me I'm paranoid, yet I am nervous. They say it's just a bad cold and that the flu is worse. I read the ratio % of deaths, 0.1% vs 2% , and yet my peers ignorantly boast number totals. They press the flu totals to downplay this virus.

I still have the same question. If masks don't protect healthy people from getting sick, how do they keep healthcare workers from getting sick? Maybe the tweet is just poorly worded.

personal protective equipment aren't worn by health care workers indiscriminately
they are used when they are in close proximity (in the same room providing direct care) to a known infected patient or a very high risk patient for having the infection

health care workers aren't roaming around the hospital outside of patient rooms with masks on etc

if this equipment isn't available to those truly in need then the community at large is at risk for not having medical personal needed when you go in for your ruptured appendix, or bypass surgery etc, etc

people who are hoarding masks etc are acting irresponsibly and are putting vulnerable people at risk

it's like opting out of getting the flu shot because you are otherwise healthy - do this for enough years and I can guarantee you have been indirectly responsible for the death of someone at risk

Reactions: bluenrg
Unfortunately I am in that age group; more rather than less. I've found I'm the only one whom is being proactive among my peers.

I've bought masks for my elderly parents, whom couldn't find any. I want to help look out for them if this hits close to home. They thought surgical masks would protect them, but they wont...

As for me, I have a n95 mask with several spare filters. I have a half bottle of sanitizer. I have yet to buy food for 2 weeks like they say, though.

My peers tell me I'm paranoid, yet I am nervous. They say it's just a bad cold and that the flu is worse. I read the ratio % of deaths, 0.1% vs 2% , and yet my peers ignorantly boast number totals. They press the flu totals to downplay this virus.

This is where they are wrong. Again, all of what is taking place throughout the world, originated from ONE case in China. The Type A flu has thousands of carriers coming from the southern hemisphere to start the northern hemisphere flu season each year.

If both the common flu and the Caronavirus started each season at ONE origination point each year, the Caronavirus would kill thousands more over the next year.

I haven't done much digging on this, but it appears the countries that are warmer seem to not be getting hit as bad. Can anyone confirm this? If this is indeed the case, it should give hope to most that summer is right around the corner.

I haven't done much digging on this, but it appears the countries that are warmer seem to not be getting hit as bad. Can anyone confirm this? If this is indeed the case, it should give hope to most that summer is right around the corner.

Is that because people are outside more in warmer weather instead of being inside where the virus can circulate?

Next time in the grocery store watch how many people lick their fingers so that they can get the plastic baggies open to put fresh fruit/vegs in. Now having said that, ask yourself how long are you willing to stand there with dry fingers trying to get those plastic baggies apart?
Gr#$%^#.

A little bit more background on the 2 strains.
https://www.foxnews.com/category/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus

Next time in the grocery store watch how many people lick their fingers so that they can get the plastic baggies open to put fresh fruit/vegs in. Now having said that, ask yourself how long are you willing to stand there with dry fingers trying to get those plastic baggies apart?
Gr#$%^#.

A little bit more background on the 2 strains.
https://www.foxnews.com/category/health/infectious-disease/coronavirus

Welp, goodbye grapes. Goodbye apples. Goodbye plums. You were such good friends. Hope to see you in a year or so. :D

There are over 100 cases in Singapore where highs are currently sitting in the mid to upper 80s. It is of course very humid there. There are cases in arid places like Algeria, Oman, Egypt Etc. though temperatures have been more tepid than normal there. Or at least that’s my perception. I don’t know a ton about weather/seasons in the Mideast

My folks are in Palm Springs and there is talk about the dry heat down there not being ideal for the virus. Though I think at this juncture that more 19th hole talk than anything scientifically verified.

Given that the elderly are at the highest risk it would be wonderful news if the virus didn’t do well in the extreme summer temperatures of most retirement locales. At this point I get the sense that nobody really knows how Covid-19 will react to summer months. I do get the sense there is at the very least some reason for guarded optimism on that front though.

There's a lot of sky-is-falling panic, but the effects are very real.
49624015607_d97730fbd9_z.jpg

There are over 100 cases in Singapore where highs are currently sitting in the mid to upper 80s. It is of course very humid there. There are cases in arid places like Algeria, Oman, Egypt Etc. though temperatures have been more tepid than normal there. Or at least that’s my perception. I don’t know a ton about weather/seasons in the Mideast

My folks are in Palm Springs and there is talk about the dry heat down there not being ideal for the virus. Though I think at this juncture that more 19th hole talk than anything scientifically verified.

Given that the elderly are at the highest risk it would be wonderful news if the virus didn’t do well in the extreme summer temperatures of most retirement locales. At this point I get the sense that nobody really knows how Covid-19 will react to summer months. I do get the sense there is at the very least some reason for guarded optimism on that front though.

Sars 1...very similar to Sars 2 loses stability at 97 F and high humidity...the fact that after 6 weeks Vietnam, Indonesia have almost no spread is a testament to the reality that it doesn't spread as easily in humidity, although those regions are unlikely to reach extremely high temperatures. 97 and dry doesn't seem to kill it. The good thing is one heat wave or hot spell and your city is basically sterilized. Scientists also believe the abundance of vitamin D during the summer may boost immune systems to the point where they can fight off virus loads that are weakened by weather. It probably combination of the two. Every historical instance would tell us the virus will weaken over the summer months and then wreck with vengeance in the fall as things get dry. You aint going to a husker game I can tell you that.

Anyone notice that so far the US death rate is at 5% any idea why so high compared to others?

Anyone notice that so far the US death rate is at 5% any idea why so high compared to others?
Imo they’ve only been testing for a month and some people might have contacted the virus went to the dr and was Diagnosed as either the flu or a bad cold because they weren’t testing for it in early January. And even now people might be infected but it will be mild to them and won’t even go to the dr. So that will skew the death rates. Correct me if I’m wrong but so far the people that have died had underlying health issues. What that means I’m not sure. Maybe someone else could elaborate better

Reactions: Crazyhole
Sars 1...very similar to Sars 2 loses stability at 97 F and high humidity...the fact that after 6 weeks Vietnam, Indonesia have almost no spread is a testament to the reality that it doesn't spread as easily in humidity, although those regions are unlikely to reach extremely high temperatures. 97 and dry doesn't seem to kill it. The good thing is one heat wave or hot spell and your city is basically sterilized. Scientists also believe the abundance of vitamin D during the summer may boost immune systems to the point where they can fight off virus loads that are weakened by weather. It probably combination of the two. Every historical instance would tell us the virus will weaken over the summer months and then wreck with vengeance in the fall as things get dry. You aint going to a husker game I can tell you that.

Thank you for the clarification. SARS didn’t come back with a vengeance. Maybe just maybe we get so lucky.

Imo they’ve only been testing for a month and some people might have contacted the virus went to the dr and was Diagnosed as either the flu or a bad cold because they weren’t testing for it in early January. And even now people might be infected but it will be mild to them and won’t even go to the dr. So that will skew the death rates. Correct me if I’m wrong but so far the people that have died had underlying health issues. What that means I’m not sure. Maybe someone else could elaborate better
One of the first places it struck was a nursing home. I would expect at least a 15% death rate in that facility. People complain about our healthcare BUT we have more old people and people who are surviving with severe health problems.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and jeans15
One of the first places it struck was a nursing home. I would expect at least a 15% death rate in that facility. People complain about our healthcare BUT we have more old people and people who are surviving with severe health problems.
I wonder if nursing homes are a more US thing, maybe the chinese elderly stay home and are taken care of by relatives. The concentration of elderly will mean many more deaths as the virus infiltrates these nursing homes. The death rate will be higher than 15% in this facility as it is almost that right now and there are more getting sick everyday and they are still not isolated from each other. Schools are closing, people are working from home
There is considerably less traffic in the last 24hours. The area is slowly shutting down

Last edited:
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie

i don’t people complain about the quality of our health care system (though from what I understand rural communities don’t always have it great.) I think it’s simply the cost that bothers many.

Not trying to make this political at all. At times like these I think most all Americans are ecstatic to have such quality medical professionals and facilities.

Reactions: NETransplant
Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
i don’t people complain about the quality of our health care system (though from what I understand rural communities don’t always have it great.) I think it’s simply the cost that bothers many.

Not trying to make this political at all. At times like these I think most all Americans are ecstatic to have such quality medical professionals and facilities.
I would agree, the rural community hospitals are slowly shutting down, nursing homes are at a way faster rate of closing down. A friend of mine his wife took sick in France and ended up in the hospital a number years ago and she’s a nurse, she flat out said we (USA) have the best health care, it’s the other bs that drags it down. Again I’m not being political just a opinion

My strategic plan for never contracting..
1. Eat Beef.
2. Get lots of sun.
3. Eat a red bell pepper every other day.

It's that easy.

This is a winter virus. It can’t live in high heat or warm weather. In Malaysia there were 55 people infected of whom 18 were cured. They said the natural recipe was boil 8 cloves of garlic with 7 cups of water. Bring it to boil and drink the liquid. From what I heard it killed the virus almost instantly. Try one it. Nothing to lose.

Good info to share:

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic
by James Robb, MD UC San Diego

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it.

First of all, only the top seven items on that list were actually authored by James Robb, MD UC San Diego. The bottom half was NOT written by Dr. Robb. Therefore, ALL credibility is lost in the bottom half. A virus is a virus. There are no snake viruses. Please stop posting this alarmist nonsense.

"Humans...have no internal defense against it." REALLY? Humans have a natural defense against ALL microorganisms, including viruses and bacteria. It is called OUR IMMUNE SYSTEM. If your body can fight the common cold, then you can fight COVID-19. If you were already immunocompromised, then you have to take no more precautions than usual, because you were already in a group that would have to be cautious.

The advice about washing your hands, not touching your face, etc. is common knowledge. The bottom portion was written by somebody who has purdy pink panties that must need to be changed hourly for all the pee pee they are putting into them. The liar who authored that nonsense is probably wearing an armadillo helmet and hiding in a cave right now.

Probably a good time for spring breaks to start around the country.
Side note it seems to have taken about a month for this to peak in China then start dropping off. Wonder if that will hold true here and in other area of the world. If true we should see this thing max out around beginning to middle of April then start declining.

You are correct. That whole long thread we already did about healthcare reform never stated our healthcare was in and of itself bad; in fact, it's quite good. It's the cost, availability, and consistency of it that is so stupid.

The problem is many pay 20-30% of their work salaries because of exploitative insurance companies, an insurance company that they did not get to choose in a competitive market place. People have to choose their place of employment based on health benefits rather than the quality of the work or their passions for the work. On top of this they still have massive deductibles that they rarely meet. The situation is so bad that the most beneficial presidential mandate for the middle class of the last 30 years came when Prez Trump wrote an executive order ALLOWING competition over employer health insurance. Many plans had their rates cut in half merely because of competition, I save $3000 a year. Americans still have some of the highest costs for health coverage and treatment, yet we are middling in health. Mostly because capitalistic medicine requires that we make sick people to treat, rather than make healthy people.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT