ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The CDC's most recent statement on what "could" happen as COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chill out, I know your concerned but until they come up with a vaccine not much any of us can do. Looks like your making yourself more nervous just by your posts. We just need to stay in our normal routine as much as possible, yes there are things we can do to help ourselves out. I’ve read Israel is close to having a vaccine. Don’t get me wrong this is something serious and we all need to be informed about it. But I’m not going to live in a bubble or worry myself sick. Isn’t that what our grandparents did with the likes of polio and the German measles and other diseases that were incurable 100 years ago. They did what they could and kept going

We can do some things and really should. And when you talk about our grand parents, that is exactly who I am worried about. Any of us with grand parents or older parents should be really cautious.

Would you travel to Seattle where there are current outbreaks? And if so, would you be concerned at all being around parents or elderly people upon your return?

I don't "fear" for myself but more for those I care about that I could infect if not careful.

So sure chill out, but don't be so arrogant to think we can't do anything either.

The point here is that I've seen far too many posts in this thread that just don't get it. People that clearly don't understand what could happen with a virus with this long of an incubation period, and to once and for all dismiss the idea that this couldn't be much more serious than the common flu, if it finds a way to come back each year, and have multiple points of origin each year.

But you are right, we just don't know yet. That in and of itself is what makes these scientists nervous.
i Get it I understand this could become really ugly. Just going to alter my lifestyle a little and if I contact it then I’ll deal with it then. We can’t keep worrying about the unknown, like thinking the Soviet Union was going to nuke the USA. If it happens not much we could have done about it

Reactions: huskerfan66
We can do some things and really should. And when you talk about our grand parents, that is exactly who I am worried about. Any of us with grand parents or older parents should be really cautious.

Would you travel to Seattle where there are current outbreaks? And if so, would you be concerned at all being around parents or elderly people upon your return?

I don't "fear" for myself but more for those I care about that I could infect if not careful.

So sure chill out, but don't be so arrogant to think we can't do anything either.
Nursing homes and hospitals have been proactive about viruses for a number of years, if the respiratory flu hits a certain community they’ll shut them down to workers only no visitors

Reactions: huskerfan66
nine dead 27 confirmed with hundreds more suspected - For example the firehouse first responders who serviced the nursing home is quarantined 18 of them had direct exposure and now 12 of those are showing flu like symptoms

Reactions: dinglefritz
Fun fact: you can make your own hand sanitizer! Just went out and bought a bunch of rubbing alcohol and aloevera.

Because I knew you all were wondering - the home made hand sanitizer is pretty good! It's basically 2 parts rubbing alcohol to 1 part aloe vera gel plus a few drops of essential oil. I couldn't find the 91% alcohol so used 70% which isn't the recommended alcohol content but was my only choice.

Today our grocery store had signs up limiting the amount of hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, latex gloves and masks you could buy. None of which were available anyway. (but nice to know that I could run over to Winco and get a face mask in normal times!)

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Right the death statistics are a bit skewed. The only people being tested are those going to the hospital. The only ones who dare get close to a hospital are those we are already very very ill. So basically yes it may have a 2% kill rate, but it is of those that were already probably close to dead. When looking at it that way 2 % of already very sick people isn't horrible.
I was on your train because it is logical except...China did an exceptionally good job of quarantine after the initial outburst...like an American could not possibly understand their level of control. China was going door to door and dragging people who had fevers out of their houses. Korea has also done a good job of counting. 1-2% is probably right...it is absolutely lethal for people older than 70 with heart disease...20% death rates...but can kill any age group. The virus is attacks specialized lung cells that are also found in the testicles, kidneys, liver and so it can cause issues in those organs as well...so comorbid issues with kidneys and liver may lead to organ failure. Secondary infections are a likely true killer...and American hospitals are notorious for these sorts of bacterial infections. The virus hangs on for an extended time...the body is dramatically weakened...then you get a bacteria infection that leads to septic shock and full organ failure. This is a very long process...you must get rest...sleep at all costs...and keep the viral load low. Once you get to the "unique" pneumonia stage...it is a coin flip for survival. The amount of care that a person at this stage need is unimaginable...once you are intubated they may need to paralyze you to not fight the air intake, then continually roll you over to improve oxygenation. If there is a true outbreak this sort of care is impossible.

* I do believe the # of infected is higher but this demographic is the 0-20 age group who are likely very asymptomatic but very active and careless. This group will be the ones who will not follow quarantine and will cry that it is an overreaction because their death rate is as non-existent as their symptoms. This virus truly has a huge distinction between demographics which will make it more deadly.

Last edited:
I was on your train because it is logical except...China did an exceptionally good job of quarantine after the initial outburst...like an American could not possibly understand their level of control. China was going door to door and dragging people who had fevers out of their houses. Korea has also done a good job of counting. 1-2% is probably right...it is absolutely lethal for people older than 70 with heart disease...20% death rates...but can kill any age group. The virus is attacks specialized lung cells that are also found in the testicles, kidneys, liver and so it can cause issues in those organs as well...so comorbid issues with kidneys and liver may lead to organ failure. Secondary infections are a likely true killer...and American hospitals are notorious for these sorts of bacterial infections. The virus hangs on for an extended time...the body is dramatically weakened...then you get a bacteria infection that leads to septic shock and full organ failure. This is a very long process...you must get rest...sleep at all costs...and keep the viral load low. Once you get to the "unique" pneumonia stage...it is a coin flip for survival. The amount of care that a person at this stage need is unimaginable...once you are intubated they may need to paralyze you to not fight the air intake, then continually roll you over to improve oxygenation. If there is a true outbreak this sort of care is impossible.

* I do believe the # of infected is higher but this demographic is the 0-20 age group who are likely very asymptomatic but very active and careless. This group will be the ones who will not follow quarantine and will cry that it is an overreaction because their death rate is as non-existent as their symptoms. This virus truly has a huge distinction between demographics which will make it more deadly.[/QUOTE]
This is the most concerning thing to me. I asked my daughter who is 30 if they were ready and had supplies she acted like i was crazy and paranoid. In fact she said well its just like a cold this group will be the carriers and my group will pay for it

This is the most concerning thing to me. I asked my daughter who is 30 if they were ready and had supplies she acted like i was crazy and paranoid. In fact she said well its just like a cold this group will be the carriers and my group will pay for it

I just talked to my 30 yr old son who lives in Kitsap Co and got a similar response about supplies. He didn't call me crazy and paranoid but I could tell he thought I was a bit too prepared. (I still remember in Nebraska - blizzard coming meant make sure the car was full of gas and you had milk and bread at home. Guess it's hard to break that habit!) What is it - hope for the best but prepare for the worst!

I'm not worried about my health but certainly don't want to bring any bad bugs back to my very elderly parents when I head home in a few weeks.

Unfortunately I am in that age group; more rather than less. I've found I'm the only one whom is being proactive among my peers.

I've bought masks for my elderly parents, whom couldn't find any. I want to help look out for them if this hits close to home. They thought surgical masks would protect them, but they wont...

As for me, I have a n95 mask with several spare filters. I have a half bottle of sanitizer. I have yet to buy food for 2 weeks like they say, though.

My peers tell me I'm paranoid, yet I am nervous. They say it's just a bad cold and that the flu is worse. I read the ratio % of deaths, 0.1% vs 2% , and yet my peers ignorantly boast number totals. They press the flu totals to downplay this virus.

here's a secret ... your medical center will collapse if there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine of anyone with potential exposure

over 120 staff are quarantined at UC Davis after contact with a single patient

here's a secret ... your medical center will collapse if there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine of anyone with potential exposure

over 120 staff are quarantined at UC Davis after contact with a single patient
The quarantine thing will have to go away. It will be self quarantine at home if at all possible. Quarantines in this case are too little too late IMO. China's quarantine IMO also did little as far as their domestic infection rate. Any slowing of the number of new illnesses over there IMO is probably due to the virus reaching a saturation point where most of the population has already been exposed. There had been airplanes flying back forth to the U.S. for over a month likely with COVID-19 carriers on board so other than maybe to slow the spread in the U.S. by a few weeks, I don't think quarantines are going to stop anything..

The quarantine thing will have to go away. It will be self quarantine at home if at all possible. Quarantines in this case are too little too late IMO. China's quarantine IMO also did little as far as their domestic infection rate. Any slowing of the number of new illnesses over there IMO is probably due to the virus reaching a saturation point where most of the population has already been exposed. There had been airplanes flying back forth to the U.S. for over a month likely with COVID-19 carriers on board so other than maybe to slow the spread in the U.S. by a few weeks, I don't think quarantines are going to stop anything..
You are correct. Containment has passed. We now have to hope that high temps somehow break this virus down...

Reactions: leodisflowers
You are correct. Containment has passed. We now have to hope that high temps somehow break this virus down...
It might slow it down some but it will keep perking along picking off people even during the summer then it will hit with a vengeance in the fall again if it hasn't already run through the whole population by then. We'll need to develop a vaccine IMO regardless of what happens because most Corona viruses become endemic once established in mammals. MERS is still floating around on the Arabian peninsula. SARS probably is too somewhere even though it hasn't been diagnosed for a long time. My hope is that a vaccine for COVID-19 might offer some cross protection for any other Corona viruses that might pop up.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria
It might slow it down some but it will keep perking along picking off people even during the summer then it will hit with a vengeance in the fall again if it hasn't already run through the whole population by then. We'll need to develop a vaccine IMO regardless of what happens because most Corona viruses become endemic once established in mammals. MERS is still floating around on the Arabian peninsula. SARS probably is too somewhere even though it hasn't been diagnosed for a long time. My hope is that a vaccine for COVID-19 might offer some cross protection for any other Corona viruses that might pop up.
I've been hearing we have experimental vaccines right now, but they require testing before they can be given out.... easiest I heard is next March:/

I agree with everything you've said. But, the fake news media isn't informing the public that the fact is.... the common cold... influenza... these are ALL coronaviruses too!!!!

So watching the news they have only tested 56 people in the last three days. People with symptoms are still not being tested. These friggin politicians and government employees have one primary job which is to protect the citizens and in this respect it is a disaster.

There are currently hundreds if not thousands infected they just have not been tested yet

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
So watching the news they have only tested 56 people in the last three days. People with symptoms are still not being tested. These friggin politicians and government employees have one primary job which is to protect the citizens and in this respect it is a disaster.

There are currently hundreds if not thousands infected they just have not been tested yet
Source?

I agree with everything you've said. But, the fake news media isn't informing the public that the fact is.... the common cold... influenza... these are ALL coronaviruses too!!!!
There’s a lot of stupid opinions not worth responding to, but this is categorically false. More than half of colds are rhinoviruses. Influenza is caused by the influenza virus.

Last edited:

it does take some time to get the samples to the appropriate lab and then get them run. This is on the state health departments and the CDC administration. It's a daunting task. There really is little any politician can do at this point other than point fingers at his opposition which is just stupid.

https://komonews.com/

QUOTE="HuskerHusaria, post: 5842375, member: 68828"]What is komo news? Never heard of it. Guess they are pretty special since you got the inside scoop. Does this scoop have a way for all of us to hear said Inside scoop? Does Komo news broadcast someplace?[/QUOTE]

KOMO news is a Seattle ABC affiliate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
it does take some time to get the samples to the appropriate lab and then get them run. This is on the state health departments and the CDC administration. It's a daunting task. There really is little any politician can do at this point other than point fingers at his opposition which is just stupid.
They interviewed the lab - The lab states they can handle 200 tests per day - each test is run twice - so this lab can handle 100 patients a day and has done 56 in 3 days

What is komo news? Never heard of it. Guess they are pretty special since you got the inside scoop. Does this scoop have a way for all of us to hear said Inside scoop? Does Komo news broadcast someplace?
It is the ABC affilate in Seattle - I watched the segment on their nightly news - They interviewed the testing facility so not exactly some secret. There was also a segment that tagged along with this where Patty Murray, a Washington Senator was asking the CDC why people are not being tested

It is the ABC affilate in Seattle - I watched the segment on their nightly news - They interviewed the testing facility so not exactly some secret. There was also a segment that tagged along with this where Patty Murray, a Washington Senator was asking the CDC why people are not being tested
Thank you, I'm sorry.

Thank you, I'm sorry.
No worries but it is very frustrating for the people who have a loved one in the nursing home at ground zero. They have not even tested all the residents, they wait until someone is sick and then when they take them to the hospital they test. I have a business associate who' s mother was there before she died and she told me today she has a good friend with a mother in there. They cannot see them they have not been tested and these people live two to a room

We need robot doctors! Human physicians and nurses are too easily compromised.

150625-yamato-terminator-tease_kwoput

No worries but it is very frustrating for the people who have a loved one in the nursing home at ground zero. They have not even tested all the residents, they wait until someone is sick and then when they take them to the hospital they test. I have a business associate who' s mother was there before she died and she told me today she has a good friend with a mother in there. They cannot see them they have not been tested and these people live two to a room
Prayers sent:)

i saw a graph where mainland china has really stemmed the tide.
sans a vaccine.
only with the near complete shutdown of the country...?

i saw a graph where mainland china has really stemmed the tide.
sans a vaccine.
only with the near complete shutdown of the country...?
Again, the quarantines may have slowed the virus some. People self quarantining and being more careful with their behavior and personal hygiene probably helped a bunch. The bigger thing IMO is that this has been going on long enough now that there is somewhat of a firewall where there are more and more recovered immune people walking around. I suspect that if you did a serological study of average Wuhan citizens you would find the vast majority have antibodies to COVID-19 now.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the assumption right now there is that IF you're in the building, you're incubating the virus. The number of staff that were infected almost assures that the virus got spread to every resident. So there's not much they can do other than to treat the residents as they show clinical signs. Unfortunately the early reports of success treating COVID-19 with antiviral meds appear to have been wishful thinking.

Research showing 2 types of the current virus now, the L type is most common (70%) and appears to be more aggressive and the S type is less aggressive. But the good news is the L type appears to be less common now. This could explain the difference in symptom development timing amongst populations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT