ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The CDC's most recent statement on what "could" happen as COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point, is the warm weather keeping it at bay?
In general I think their populations are much less mobile than ours is. We have a HUGE number of Asians in general who frequently travel back and forth between China, Korea etc and the U.S. I saw one story that stated that there are over 500,000 Chinese national students in the U.S. One theory is that warm weather and higher humidity will slow the spread of the virus. I'm not sure that I buy that it will make much difference in urban environments in this country with crowded mass transit systems. I read one story several days ago where ONE flight attendant exposed hundreds of airline passengers flying back and forth from Korea.

In general I think their populations are much less mobile than ours is. We have a HUGE number of Asians in general who frequently travel back and forth between China, Korea etc and the U.S. I saw one story that stated that there are over 500,000 Chinese national students in the U.S. One theory is that warm weather and higher humidity will slow the spread of the virus. I'm not sure that I buy that it will make much difference in urban environments in this country with crowded mass transit systems. I read one story several days ago where ONE flight attendant exposed hundreds of airline passengers flying back and forth from Korea.
I would assume it behaves similar to other cold and flu viruses. Summer months seems to knock it back significantly. Is there any reason to believe this will be different?

Recent story now. Assisted living facility with 108 residents has one test positive. 25 out of 180 staff and 27 out of 108 residents are symptomatic now. This will tell us a lot about how things are going to go in this country. With the death of another Kirkland WA resident from COVID-19 health officials say that it has become apparent that community transmission is occurring. It is likely that all of the care givers and patients in that assisted living facility will become or already have been infected. Then who takes care of the residents? That's the problem with this viral infection with no population immunization.
Where did you hear of a second death nothing being reported locally here

Where did you hear of a second death nothing being reported locally here
I didn't mean a second death in Washington. Sorry for the confusing way I posted that. That said, with that many elderly folks apparently infected in that assisted living facility, it probably won't be long before there's another one. Sadly, they're going to be the test case for senior facilities around the country.

I didn't mean a second death in Washington. Sorry for the confusing way I posted that. That said, with that many elderly folks apparently infected in that assisted living facility, it probably won't be long before there's another one. Sadly, they're going to be the test case for senior facilities around the country.
Yep totally agree the guy that died was in the hospital already and very sick to begin with. It is thought he was infected by a nursing home patient as they are taken there. The initial guy lives in snohomish and there is some reason to believe it originated with him. So yes I believe its circulating in the population already. The lack of serious cases however is encouraging

Reactions: bluenrg
Yep totally agree the guy that died was in the hospital already and very sick to begin with. It is thought he was infected by a nursing home patient as they are taken there. The initial guy lives in snohomish and there is some reason to believe it originated with him. So yes I believe its circulating in the population already. The lack of serious cases however is encouraging
I suspect that there have been or will be people who are very sick who dismiss it as the flu. There have probably already been clinically ill people with it who weren't diagnosed in Washington and elsewhere. I figured this would happen. There was just no way with as mobile as our society is that this wasn't carried over here before things hit the news outlets. I don't think the state of Washington is the only state that has community transmission already. I believe the cat is out of the bag and that most of us will probably get exposed to this over the course of the next 6 months to a year. You just hope your personal viral exposure isn't overwhelming.

Also in talking to people the older people are much more concerned and rightfully so. However the younger people do not seem to concerned. Big soccer crowds going to hockey games bunch of school age sports. I think the fact younger people seem to have milder reactions will lead to a much faster spread

Reactions: dinglefritz
Also in talking to people the older people are much more concerned and rightfully so. However the younger people do not seem to concerned. Big soccer crowds going to hockey games bunch of school age sports. I think the fact younger people seem to have milder reactions will lead to a much faster spread
No doubt careless behavior and crappy hygiene of people will hasten the spread. The other factor is that there are a lot of people who do the dirty work in facilities who really don't understand how to protect themselves and others. I had to help a guy working at Eppley Airport a couple of weeks ago remember to change his gloves between handling money, raw eggs, raw sausage and packaging my egg and cheese samich..:eek:

I would assume it behaves similar to other cold and flu viruses. Summer months seems to knock it back significantly. Is there any reason to believe this will be different?
Flu might be a little different in that children are more severely affected by that than it appears they are by the COVID-19. I don't know if that means they don't shed as much virus. Summer slow downs in flu in fact have a lot to do with the dispersion of the kids away from closed in classrooms. Then the flu virus mutates and we throw kids back in tightly closed rooms for weeks on end and it takes off again. We might see a slow down in transmission in the summer but I don't think it will be like influenza. We just have absolutely no population immunity to give us a firewall against this to slow it down.

Good grief you all.
First off it seems to be no worse than the flu.
Second, if it is truly a species culling virus, there is not a damn thing you can do.

Just simple carpenter knowledge. Not Holiday Inn, or some flaunted doctorate in something that is important somewhere.

Reactions: bluenrg
This is pretty much how all illnesses work due to comorbidities and suppressed immune response.

It is theorized the 1919 Spanish flu caused a cytokine storm that killed more young adults due to overresponse of the immune system. The sluggish response by very young and old was protective. This would have been reported if it was the case now.
Yea, reports of people dying in one day, wake up no symptoms, dead by evening

Reactions: -LVhusker-
Good point, is the warm weather keeping it at bay?
I've read ultra violet, or, the suns rays kill it rather quickly. Survival time is mere seconds, add that to people being outside, stronger uv rays in the summer, transmissions cut way back.

I've read ultra violet, or, the suns rays kill it rather quickly. Survival time is mere seconds, add that to people being outside, stronger uv rays in the summer, transmissions cut way back.
It's actually the humidity that affects the influenza virus. Flu can't survive in humid environments apparently and needs dry surfaces and air to spread. CDC recommends getting a humidifier in the winter if someone is sick in the home. We were probably lucky this started half way through the flu season.

I don’t buy it either. The other thing to remember is that we may hit a lull come summer but it could resurface with a vengeance come fall. Same thing happened with 1918 influenza. Most people died during the second wave which hit in the fall of 1918.

2nd death is now being reported with two more elderly people in critical condition. For those who say its just another flu, good grief, it's a new virus with no immunities easily transferrable that is killing people
Estimates are a 2% mortality rate. If 25% of the people in the US get it, that’s about 1.5 million people.

2nd death is now being reported with two more elderly people in critical condition. For those who say its just another flu, good grief, it's a new virus with no immunities easily transferrable that is killing people

Turns out the HS in Mills Creek, WA stayed at one of the local HS for a music celebration at our university. Mills Creek HS apparently has a suspected case so even though the student didn't come to town the locals are closing the school tomorrow to clean everything.

Turns out the HS in Mills Creek, WA stayed at one of the local HS for a music celebration at our university. Mills Creek HS apparently has a suspected case so even though the student didn't come to town the locals are closing the school tomorrow to clean everything.
Yep it was Jackson HS in Mill creek - they just close another one in Renton which is South by 15 miles or so

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
Estimates are a 2% mortality rate. If 25% of the people in the US get it, that’s about 1.5 million people.

True, but the current 2% rate includes countries with much worse access to and quality of health care. It also DOESN'T include many people who may be infected but show mild enough symptoms that they don't get checked out and therefore it doesn't get caught.

I imagine the true mortality rate would be notably lower in the U.S. when all was said and done.

flu isn’t tracked past April so while it always looks like the numbers go down, it’s just not being reported.

Yes, based on people's behavior! People don't buy all the masks, hand sanitizers, wipes, detergent, ect. for the Flu. People don't wash their hands all the time for the flu. People don't stop going to public places stores/work for the flu. People don't get isolated and other contacts tracked down for the flu. Airline routes and immigration don't get shut down for the flu.

This will spread, but not as much as people think, definitely not as much as the flu and 30% - 70% of world population.

True, but the current 2% rate includes countries with much worse access to and quality of health care. It also DOESN'T include many people who may be infected but show mild enough symptoms that they don't get checked out and therefore it doesn't get caught.

I imagine the true mortality rate would be notably lower in the U.S. when all was said and done.

It was just reported on CNBC that there may be as many 1500 undetected minor cases that have occurred in Washington. So 2 deaths out 1500 is much less than 2%.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
its the flu without a vaccine for those most at risk. Am concerned for my dad and will do my best to keep him out of harms way.

CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season.

For those who say its just another flu, good grief, it's a new virus with no immunities easily transferrable that is killing people

Please refer to my "purdy pink panties" post above.

COVID-19 is one of many corona viruses, like MERS (also called 2012 novel coronavirus) and SARS coronavirus (2003 SARS-CoV). This, this family of viruses, by definition, is NOT new. COVID-19 is a new strain of the SARS virus.

The average age of those who have died in China is SEVENTY YEARS OLD. This is in China, a nation that still has 500,000,000 rural poor living in grass huts. Where witchdoctor medicine and superstition still plays an active part in village life. Where family members, not hospitals, are expected to care for the sick.

A person's normal immune system can defeat the coronavirus. It is not some weaponized version of Anthrax grown in a lab. It's a normal upper respiratory virus. People need to take the came precautions they do during the flu season: 1) cover your cough, 2) wash your hands often, 3) stay home from work/school if sick.

The two Americans who have died lived in the same nursing home. I don't know who they were, but I'm pretty sure strong young people don't live in nursing homes. It's unfortunate that they died, but they were already in an extremely vulnerable group anyway.

People predicting millions of deaths in the United States, get a fcking hold of yourselves already. If this were a movie, you'd be the panicking woman, and I'd be the doctor slapping you to get you to calm down.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's actually the humidity that affects the influenza virus. Flu can't survive in humid environments apparently and needs dry surfaces and air to spread. CDC recommends getting a humidifier in the winter if someone is sick in the home. We were probably lucky this started half way through the flu season.
While that sounds right, that isn't what these people were talking about, at all
Just heard, 32 million cases of common flu, 20,000 deaths, or, 1 in 1600 people.

Surgeon General is asking the public not to by masks/PPE to prevent shortages of equipment for medical workers. They also recommend still getting flu shots to prevent the spread of influenza to help free up medical resources required to fight Coronavirus.

Please refer to my "purdy pink panties" post above.

COVID-19 is one of many corona viruses, like MERS (also called 2012 novel coronavirus) and SARS coronavirus (2003 SARS-CoV). This, this family of viruses, by definition, is NOT new. COVID-19 is a new strain of the SARS virus.

The average age of those who have died in China is SEVENTY YEARS OLD. This is in China, a nation that still has 500,000,000 rural poor living in grass huts. Where witchdoctor medicine and superstition still plays an active part in village life. Where family members, not hospitals, are expected to care for the sick.

A person's normal immune system can defeat the coronavirus. It is not some weaponized version of Anthrax grown in a lab. It's a normal upper respiratory virus. People need to take the came precautions they do during the flu season: 1) cover your cough, 2) wash your hands often, 3) stay home from work/school if sick.

The two Americans who have died lived in the same nursing home. I don't know who they were, but I'm pretty sure strong young people don't live in nursing homes. It's unfortunate that they died, but they were already in an extremely vulnerable group anyway.

People predicting millions of deaths in the United States, get a fcking hold of yourselves already. If this were a movie, you'd be the panicking woman, and I'd be the doctor slapping you to get you to calm down.

maxresdefault.jpg
Well my neighbor is a teacher at school with a confirmed corona virus case - I am a 65 year old man with heart disease- why dont you save your condescension for when you are directly involved. Am I concerned hell yes only an idiot would not be, am I wrapping my home in bubble wrap no.

I am not sure how bad this gets but it is getting worse quickly - To deny this just makes you look stupid

btw this from KOMO news:
Snohomish County is also reporting a second confirmed case with a man in his 40s in critical condition at EvergreenHealth.

Last edited:
Surgeon General is asking the public not to by masks/PPE to prevent shortages of equipment for medical workers. They also recommend still getting flu shots to prevent the spread of influenza to help free up medical resources required to fight Coronavirus.

If the masks are "NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus", how do they protect healthcare providers?

If the masks are "NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus", how do they protect healthcare providers?
Good question. From what I have read about the masks is they are more a reminder and obstacle to keep you from touching you nose and mouth. They do little good to protect you from the particles in the air as they would need to be air tight. If someone coughs or sneezes near you and you have a mask you are probably still getting infected.

Reactions: saluno22
Good question. From what I have read about the masks is they are more a reminder and obstacle to keep you from touching you nose and mouth. They do little good to protect you from the particles in the air as they would need to be air tight. If someone coughs or sneezes near you and you have a mask you are probably still getting infected.
From what I understand people who are infected should be wearing masks not healthy people. Last year I had bronchitis when I went into the clinic I had to wear a mask so if I coughed supposedly it would spread to other people

Well my neighbor is a teacher at school with a confirmed corona virus case - I am a 65 year old man with heart disease- why dont you save your condescension for when you are directly involved. Am I concerned hell yes only an idiot would not be, am I wrapping my home in bubble wrap no.

I am not sure how bad this gets but it is getting worse quickly - To deny this just makes you look stupid

btw this from KOMO news:
Snohomish County is also reporting a second confirmed case with a man in his 40s in critical condition at EvergreenHealth.
I do think this is worse than some will admit I don't think its as bad as the media and social media are making it out to be. People have to remember the goal of the media in general is to get attention and gain views. Studies have shown feel good, happy stories don't get as much attention as doom and gloom and negativity.
That being said, nobody knows what the future holds and nobody knows exactly how this will behave or mutate going forward. It isn't stupid to prepare for the worst just in case.

From what I understand people who are infected should be wearing masks not healthy people. Last year I had bronchitis when I went into the clinic I had to wear a mask so if I coughed supposedly it would spread to other people
Agree this would make more sense. New study shows particles from sneezing can travel up to 200 ft and stay suspended in air for up to 10 minutes. The mask would make a huge difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT