ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Snowblowers

HuskAir

Nebraska Legend
Oct 27, 2001
Omaha, NE
This will be the first snow season that I’ve been a homeowner in Nebraska and I need a snowblower.

Doing my research, it seems like Ariens and Toro are pretty strong options, but I can’t figure out which to go with and why. Does anyone have a preference?

This will be the first snow season that I’ve been a homeowner in Nebraska and I need a snowblower.

Doing my research, it seems like Ariens and Toro are pretty strong options, but I can’t figure out which to go with and why. Does anyone have a preference?
Is it cheaper to just hire a kid or company?

I don't have a snowblower but it seems like they are a pain in the ass.

I have an Ariens Deluxe 24, circa 2011 or so. It's a freaking monster and works great for my acreage. If you live in town, the Ariens Classic or Compact should work just fine for everything except maybe the slushy frozen mess at the end of your driveway. Ariens has very good reliability ratings. Take care of it with the routine maintenance and it will take care of you. I don't think you can go wrong with Ariens, Toro or Honda. Good luck.

I'm a tightwad and can fix my own stuff so I just buy cheap stuff and fix it when it breaks. So a toro or ariens or whatever you can get at home depot, etc. If you need help when it breaks or won't start, I'd buy it from a reputable local dealer that can fix it in a timely fashion.

I get out there with a leaf blower a few times and it never sticks. Cheap snow blowers don't do the best job in my experience.

Forget about the two stage steel auger...you need one of them about once a year and to much space taken up between uses and they suck for anything under 6-8"

Rubber paddle, Toro. If you get bombed just plan on doing your drive twice.. once after the first 3-5", then when it finishes snowing.

I don't think you can go wrong with Ariens, Toro or Honda. Good luck.
I agree. I've had a toro single stage and toro dual stage and been happy with them both. That's the other thing to figure out - single stage or 2 stage. Single worked fine for most snows when I lived in Omaha - not so much for a lot of snow, especially after the city plows bury the end of your driveway. Now I have a much larger driveway and have a 2 stage, which can handle pretty much everything, but it's larger to store and not near as maneuverable. There are times when I wish I had a single stage as well to handle the snows that are a bit too much to shovel, but don't require a 2 stage.

Is it cheaper to just hire a kid or company?

I don't have a snowblower but it seems like they are a pain in the ass.
I can’t disagree. It seems like my dad is consistently getting his fixed or replacing/buying new. Living in the midwest is a pain in the ass on its own. I want the flexibility to just go out and get it done when I want. The last thing I need is a list of snow shovel kids/company next to the babysitter list.

I can’t disagree. It seems like my dad is consistently getting his fixed or replacing/buying new. Living in the midwest is a pain in the ass on its own. I want the flexibility to just go out and get it done when I want. The last thing I need is a list of snow shovel kids/company next to the babysitter list.
Yeah, I get that.

It really does seem like they are always breaking down or a pain in the ass to get started. Why is lawnmower technology so far advanced compared to snowblowers!

Yeah, I get that.

It really does seem like they are always breaking down or a pain in the ass to get started. Why is lawnmower technology so far advanced compared to snowblowers!

The old 2 strokes were better than the new 4 strokers in this area IMO. So of course the #@!$%* had to change that so they could save that oil for their SUV's and private jets and 49 car motorcades.

I have a small two-stage and an older lightweight single-stage. Normally the single-stage is the way to go around here but last winter sucked! The single-stage was useless! And I'm in Beatrice where the snow is usually pretty weak. I actually kinda like the snow removal as it's exercise and gets me out in the elements. But when you get a few weeks of storms stacked up it starts sucking pretty fast!

Reactions: HuskAir
Never been a brand man because they're not much different within the same price range. I would get a 2 stage though if you only plan on having one. Those singe stage snowblower will lead you right back to the shovel after a heavy or wet snow..

I recommend the old man shovel. I lived in Estherville, Iowa and was out shoveling snow and and spent about 20 minutes with a standard snow shovel making little progress and out comes and old man with a wide sled like shovel and he knocked out his driveway in 15 minutes.

I got in my car and drove to Ace hardware and asked for the old man shovel and believe it is perfect for most snows. I now live in Minnesota and finally got a snowblower, but still use the old man shovel 90% of the time.

Similar to this image:

iStock-503336648-1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: pharvey0829
I recommend the old man shovel. I lived in Estherville, Iowa and was out shoveling snow and and spent about 20 minutes with a standard snow shovel making little progress and out comes and old man with a wide sled like shovel and he knocked out his driveway in 15 minutes.

I got in my car and drove to Ace hardware and asked for the old man shovel and believe it is perfect for most snows. I now live in Minnesota and finally got a snowblower, but still use the old man shovel 90% of the time.

Similar to this image:

iStock-503336648-1.jpg
Shortly after this pic was taken did a Sheriff's Deputy show up and ask this guy about someone going crazy out there at the lake? By Ecklund & Swedlin's?

Reactions: Blindcheck

Similar to this image:

iStock-503336648-1.jpg
Someone photo shopped my face after the last Martinez interception onto that mans head. Someone owes me money!

Areins is the best in my experience. Compact 24 is a beast of a machine. You wont be disappointed. Mine was a 2017. I ended up selling it to a friend as I have a small driveway now and dont do other peoples drives any longer. That thing would go through anything. That huge pile the snowplow leaves at the end of your driveway? This thing laughed at it.

I sure made lots of $$ as a kid shovelling. Had a regular set of clients, many of them my paper route customers.

No one had to call me, I could make $125 in a day in the early 70s in Lincoln.

I recommend the hire a kid choice if you can find one 😀.

I've had both single and dual stage. The one stage gets almost any storm, as long as you are willing to go over your driveway more than once (like after 4-5 inches or so) on heavier snowfalls. Single stagers are smaller, easier to maneuver and take up way less storage space.

I think the single stagers are better at getting down to the driveway, melts faster in the sun and better looking if you are into attention to detail.

BUT the single stage can be useless at times when the plows push the big boulders of frozen snow at the bottom of the driveway, then 2 stagers are priceless as they cut through that like butter.

So both have their advantages.

Last edited:
Had a single stage and got rid of it as it couldn’t handle the heavier and deeper snows. If it’s that light I could probably shovel it faster anyways. Went to a 2 stage and couldn’t be happier.

I've been using the same Toro CCR2000 for about 27 years now. Back then they had the old Suzuki engines.
Light enough for the spouse to use.

Honda HSM1336i. Moves 3,000lbs of snow per minute and throws it 52 feet.

I live in northern Utah about 8 miles west of the Wasatch Mountains, closer to the Great salt Lake. As a side gig I repair a lot of snow blowers and you can't beat the Toro single stage blowers, especially the older CCR's. Two stage blowers I'd say Toro, Ariens are good machines but I've had good luck with just about any other model also. Save yourself some money and buy a good used one, repairs are easy as google search's and youtube covers just about anything you need to know. Most problems are caused by ethanol gas gumming up the carburetor. Gas stations here in Utah sell an ethanol free gas for just small engines.
As many have said, single stage and dual stage snow blowers each have their advantages and disadvantages. I personally have one of each and use the single stage way more than the 2-stage. The single stage is my go to for the simple fact it's much quicker and easier to use because its light and speed is determined by how fast you walk.
Two stage snow blowers are heavy and take a bit more leverage when it comes time to spin it around. Some model now have left and right triggers to assist in turning disengages the drive wheel in the direction you want to turn. They're a lot of weight to throw around in light snow but are a god sent when the snow is deep, compacted, or piled up at the end of your driveway after the city snowplows go by.
Many make the mistake on 2-stage snow blowers by letting the scraper/shave plate grind on the ground. It's actually not supposed to touch the ground, that's the purpose of the skid feet. The shave plate should be off the ground 1/8" on a good level driveway or 1/4" on a rough driveway or gravel surface. I've seen blowers where people have ground so much auger housing metal away that the bolt holes that attach the shave plate are open ended.

I could go on and on but will stop there.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Bigger is definitely better. 2 Stage with as much power as you can get.

Yea a skiff or two they do not good but when you get wet heavy stuff and its 18 inches it can plow through and not plug. I had an electric start one that was also a nice feature. No pulling to start.

I had a 27Inch John Deer when I was in WY that went through anything. I also bought a used Toro 26 inch that was very good in Colorado.

Make sure you get it adjusted level wise on your pavement. Do your maintenance. Run it monthly in the off season too. Yes my neighbors thought I was crazy driving my snow blower in the driveway in July. If possible store it on blocks and don't let the tires sit with weight on them in the off season. Driving it and this will hep longevity.

I'm the weirdo that is looking at the 26" toro 60V 2 stage because i already have a 60v super recycler and string trimmer.

I'm the weirdo that is looking at the 26" toro 60V 2 stage because i already have a 60v super recycler and string trimmer.
I check out SnowblowerForums.com from time to time and most of those guys are very suspicious of electric 2-stage, at least the current technology. But yeah, that's the future and I hope sooner than later.

Reactions: hawkdave007
I check out SnowblowerForums.com from time to time and most of those guys are very suspicious of electric 2-stage, at least the current technology. But yeah, that's the future and I hope sooner than later.
my biggest worry is that batteries crap out. they are expensive af. so thats the trade off you get. supposedly at least with toro, they are based on existing model, but with an electric motor slapped on. But ill definitely check out the forums.

I sure made lots of $$ as a kid shovelling. Had a regular set of clients, many of them my paper route customers.

No one had to call me, I could make $125 in a day in the early 70s in Lincoln.

I recommend the hire a kid choice if you can find one 😀.
My son does the snow blowing for one of my co-workers and get's paid really well.... using MY snowblowers! LOL, it gets him off his ass once in awhile!

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Whichever route you go, especially with a single stage two things. If it's going to be a het weavy snow. One, stick that snowblower outside to get colder for a while, it helps the snow not stick as much in the chute. Two, hit it liberally with Pam cooking spray. That gives it a coating so it sticks less. I hit it again sometimes if its alot of snow.

Makes it easier to clear. Google it if you need to.

I was in the same boat as you so spoke with my cousin who knows small engines and is VERY familiar with Ariens, and he recommended Toro.

I bought the Toro 26, but the 24 probably would have been fine too. Both are fine for your typical 3 car wide drive.

The biggest decision is the auto-steer feature. Some people hate it, some love it. I'm sort of indifferent about it. I like it when I need to turn around at the end of the drive, but I do find I "fight" the machine a bit when cutting through drifts.

I was in the same boat as you so spoke with my cousin who knows small engines and is VERY familiar with Ariens, and he recommended Toro.

I bought the Toro 26, but the 24 probably would have been fine too. Both are fine for your typical 3 car wide drive.

The biggest decision is the auto-steer feature. Some people hate it, some love it. I'm sort of indifferent about it. I like it when I need to turn around at the end of the drive, but I do find I "fight" the machine a bit when cutting through drifts.
Good tips. My Ariens is pre-auto steer and my shoulders get worn out fighting it sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT