ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kentucky Derby

With Forte out, AOE and Tapit Trice are both currently at 9-2 with Two Phil's and Derma Sotogake both at 7-1. I had a $20 win bet on Forte in the 4th Kentucky Derby advanced wagering pool at 8-1 back in February. I assume Forte will probably miss the Preakness. Hopefully he'll be back for the Belmont or just wait for Saratoga.
Forte scratching canceled my Derma $200 11-1 ticket

Complete bs

Really?! I like him too a bit and that was a good value bet.

That is bs.
went back at +800 but contingent on Tapit Trice & Angel of Empire running

placing these via a bookie and not twin spires or similar so that's why

I think they are wrong. Horses used to run much more often, built up much better foundations.

I think some of it has to do with the racing surfaces. In Secretariat's day, the racetracks had much less of cushion than in recent years. It was almost like running on a highway, very little give.

A large part has to do with drugs. So many horses are running with so many medications that mask their actual minor injuries or pain.

dingle, wouldn't you think that running on mostly manicured surfaces like the turf, that it would be very comfortable to run on? Its their natural surface, yet, as they say, they do break down.

Nowadays, with several tracks employing artificial surfaces, Polytrack/Tapeta, that those tracks are VERY hard on a horse's ass end. It really tightens the rear quarters tight. That's why so many of them really jump up when they move back to a regular dirt surface. And on artificial, they tend to run those like turf races. Start slow and finish fast, whereas on dirt its start fast and finish slower.
Some of it is genetic selection. I’m amazed by how fine the bone structure has gotten in some Thoroughbreds.

The turf stat surprised me but I think some of that is the inconsistency of the surfaces. I didn’t see any numbers comparing artificial surfaces to dirt. That last turn gets a lot of horses as they tire. Kind of like how human athletes sustain more ligament injuries as they tire.

The amount of force applied to a running horses lower legs is in the thousands of pounds and many times greater than the weight of the horse. Then you add to it the added centrifugal force of rounding a curve.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Really?! I like him too a bit and that was a good value bet.

That is bs.
I've had to go in twice now and change my wagers. Lost a big part of my wagers when Skinner scratched, and now with Forte being out it has moved Derma to 7/1 and thats barely acceptable. As a result, the amount I'm playing on the race keeps getting smaller and smaller.

Always in my world: The lower the odds, the less I wager. The higher the odds, the more I wager.
AOE and Tapit at 9/2 and even Derman at 7/1 are no value to me in this field.

Gonna play the race, but no where near the excitement level when you look at a key like Skinner (win or lose) because when you key that 20/1+ on top, real good things can happen. LOL

Reactions: dpnavy
Some of it is genetic selection. I’m amazed by how fine the bone structure has gotten in some Thoroughbreds.

The turf stat surprised me but I think some of that is the inconsistency of the surfaces. I didn’t see any numbers comparing artificial surfaces to dirt. That last turn gets a lot of horses as they tire. Kind of like how human athletes sustain more ligament injuries as they tire.

The amount of force applied to a running horses lower legs is in the thousands of pounds and many times greater than the weight of the horse. Then you add to it the added centrifugal force of rounding a curve.
Totally agree. I have a chart for all the tracks and the degree of angle into the turns. Fonner Park and the 5/8th mile tracks are much tigher than the mile ovals, and is super tight compared to the sweeping turns at Belmont.

Ok, now, I'm not a good math person, got through college algebra with a C+! Business, but I can do percentages! I look at 6 f time as a mark as how fast a race is being run! Good old Fonnor Park 6 f record is 1:10! Pretty fast for Fonnor Park! Orphan Kist! Secretariat ran a 109:45 6 f in the Belmont! Sizzling! And a longway to go! This only a benchmark for us here, What should the time be for a slow pace or what time for a fast pace at 6f? I'm expecting a fast track! I'm doing 4 seperate 4 horses exactas, $1 each box, ! I gonna put Tapit & Forte in each! The question, what time at 6 F, I want? Thanks
Just so you know, the track record at Santa Anita on the turf at 6 1/2f is 1:10.2. So that would beat Orphan Kist by almost 110 yards. LOL So 1 length being @ 5' would beat Orpan Kist by about 22 lengths.

Just so you know, the track record at Santa Anita on the turf at 6 1/2f is 1:10.2. So that would beat Orphan Kist by almost 110 yards. LOL So 1 length being @ 5' would beat Orpan Kist by about 22 lengths.
Going whole hog (LOL) in R3 1-5/1-5-12-14/1-5-12-14 Mostly for shits and giggles

Amazing these top thoroughbreds! 👏! Majestic animals ! The thrill of victory & the agony of defeat!😊

Reactions: king_kong_
Wasn't sure what time the actual race was so I recorded it. Good grief, NBC is as bad with this as they are with the Olympics. I'm sure some may like all the fluff but not me

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Fast pace start to finish

Clear there was no real top-end talent in the field, so the emergence of an unknown with exquisite physical traits over relatively known quantities wins going away (take notes haters/losers)

3 & 14 will be ones to watch going into Preakness, assuming they participate

Last edited:
Fast pace start to finish

Clear there was no real top-end talent in the field, so the emergence of an unknown over relatively known quantities wins going away (take notes haters/losers)

3 & 14 will be ones to watch going into Preakness, assuming they participate
First Mission, Cox's horse who won the Lexington Stakes, will take some money. I think Hit Show is on the improve.

Had all 3 horses in my tri with Mage running 2nd and 3rd. Played a $5 exacta box and threw Mage and put Derma Sotogake in. That's horse racing.
I sucked out with a $ 5.00 box with Mage and Phil. Derma could not have had a more disastrous start. He literally took a left turn out of the gate, never had a chance, although he ran pretty well to about the 1/8th pole.

Tough race as we all knew it would be. I'm glad Phil held on over Angel of Empire, otherwise I would have take the goose egg today.

I thought Kingsbarns ran well until the real running began. I really thought Verifying would run better, but like I said earlier in the week, there will be some really good horses than finish 15th thru 20th, actually thru 18th I guess with the scratches.

I know the feeling about having a horse you like and putting him in the wrong slot. I've told my wife forever, it's so hard to account for every single spot and I had Disarm on one little superfecta in the 4 hole, but I missed the with Phil cause I had him in the 3 hole. Whaddaya do.

First Mission, Cox's horse who won the Lexington Stakes, will take some money. I think Hit Show is on the improve.
Angel ofEmpire was closing fast. That will be a horse to reckon with. That was my favorite horse just from watching the parade. I didn’t see where he came from in that mess. Too many horses.

I'm gonna use this post so I can do a profile on Mage.

MAGE Profile: This is one of the most talented horses in this 3 year old crop, however, he is still an unrefined athlete.
Mage has a strong IHD and impressive speed. Everything about his debut was fast. His ears were pinned from start to finish. His body control looked good as he displayed in what we call single-platform IHD speed pattern of motion. (Break from the gate, get to the front, single kick to the wire when asked).

In the Fountain of Youth, at the start, he hit his hind end on the gate and was cut off by Rocket Can in early traffic. In the Florida Derby, he once again his the starting gate which relates to his being overly intense in the starting gate. There is something going on with his start-to-stop sequence, at it probably has to do with his sensory interpretations while standing in the gate. Unlike his second start, he rushed up to try to get tactical position and he tried to do a sustained closing pattern of motion. And it almost worked. He hit the front at the 16th pole, but Forte stayed on better and won by a length. Mage ran huge in the Florida Derby, but his final furlong in 13.19 was not enough to hold off Forte. He appeared to be shortening stride significantly.

Mage is a tenacious, competitive minded horse. There is major physical talent here. The issue is his Herd Dynamic and running style remain undefined. If he can iron out his starting gate issues, he could take another step forward in the Derby. Without a defined pattern of motion, he will likely be left with just winging it. This is a huge task for a horse still trying to figure out who he is.

My comment: They have moved riders to use Castellano. Historically, in the last 5 Derby's Castellano has moved up 3 of the 5 horses that he has ridden. I have heard, but haven't had it verified, they will employ some sort of a cushion on the back of his gate which will not allow him to go backward and it "could" have a bearing on how well he leaves the gate.
He did everything his profile said he might be able to do, including getting out clean. Guys, its such a tough race. I hope I didn't cost people too much money. Like I said, I had a $ 5.00 box with Mage and Phil that got about 800.00 and played about 300.00 in the race, so I'm gonna take it. But, I can promise you, fellas like Capiche, Pelini and myself don't play the Derby to try to win 5 bills.

Angel ofEmpire was closing fast. That will be a horse to reckon with. That was my favorite horse just from watching the parade. I didn’t see where he came from in that mess. Too many horses.
He's a terrific horse dingle. Stoned cold closer.

I sucked out with a $ 5.00 box with Mage and Phil. Derma could not have had a more disastrous start. He literally took a left turn out of the gate, never had a chance, although he ran pretty well to about the 1/8th pole.

Tough race as we all knew it would be. I'm glad Phil held on over Angel of Empire, otherwise I would have take the goose egg today.

I thought Kingsbarns ran well until the real running began. I really thought Verifying would run better, but like I said earlier in the week, there will be some really good horses than finish 15th thru 20th, actually thru 18th I guess with the scratches.

I know the feeling about having a horse you like and putting him in the wrong slot. I've told my wife forever, it's so hard to account for every single spot and I had Disarm on one little superfecta in the 4 hole, but I missed the with Phil cause I had him in the 3 hole. Whaddaya do.
Nice hit on the exacta. I knew a few of my horses, Verifying and Kingsbarns, were in trouble when I saw that 45.73 opening half. And everyone said it was going to be a more moderate pace this year compared to 2022.

Last edited:
Didn’t have Mage anywhere.

14/3 would have made it a good day for me.
Tough game Pelini. I had a Mage/Angel/ALL tri. Most of my wagers included Derma and I had him written off 20 seconds into the race. I even had Rocket Can in the 2 and 3 hole on 4 tickets. I don't think he turned a wheel.

Nice hit on the exacta. I knew a few of my horses, Verifying and Kingsbarns, were in trouble when I saw that 45.73 opening quarter. And everyone said it was going to be a more moderate pace this year compared to 2022.
Thanks. Earlier today Johnny Velasquez thought they would go 22/45. I did have a touch more confidence in Mage and Phil since the speed was mostly holding all day.

I guess guys like you, Pelini and I will take another crack in the Preakness.

BTW, if a particular trainer shows up during the Preakness week, we need to have one of you fellas figure how to get a private chat room, because that cowboy comes to play.

Looked strong at the finish. Kudos to you for being able to pick a couple out of that mess. My thought during the parade was that this was the race to pick a likely looking long shot.
Thanks, I would have felt much better if Derma would not have taken a left turn out of the gate. I'm guessing, if people read the profiles, some of them landed on him and he was finished with any chance in 20 seconds.

That's why I got stuck on Mage, Verifying, Phil and Kingsbarns cause I thought at least of a couple of them could get out clean and have a chance at a decent trip. Of course, in hindsight, Verifying and Kingsbarns ran each other into defeat which opened the door for Mage and Phil. Funny how this game works sometimes.

Weren't they some beautiful looking athletes? I was a bit surprised they all seemed to be pretty calm considering all the people and noise.

Guys, I'm gonna be outta here for a few hours, gotta watch some UFC. See how my son's friend, Henry Cejudo fares in the main event against Sterling. Both a couple of tough little sob's.

I know it's redundant, but I had top 3 horses, but each in different 4 horse exactas! Happy that some of you did good! I enjoy seeing happy people from Venezuela! Enjoyed all of us on here and looking forward to Preakness! Wonder how large the field will be! To the front, "fix bayonets "!! Ha😊

Agreed. Another 10-20 yards and he's maybe the winner. Waited too long for the afterburner??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT