ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Kentucky Derby

I think there's a good chance they are sending Rocket Can to the lead.
I don't know how Performance figures are compared to Beyers, or whatever you might use, but here are some interesting numbers from the last 10 Derby's.

Horses in post 1-5. Total of 49 (there was no number for Thunder Snow)
Top 5 1 point or more from previous top
Pair 13 1 point +/- from previous top
Off 10 More than 1 but less than 4 points from previous top
X 21 More than 4 points from previous top

Horses post 16-20 (Total 38 horses)
Top 3 (Rich Strike, Commanding Curve, Country House)
Pair 3
Off 12

Man I used to love the horses. But I just cannot do it anymore.

Maybe you can join PETA. It figures out to 1 death per 1,000 starts. Technically, 1.03 deaths per 1,000 starts.

Last edited:
Jesus, lots of sh!t going on.

Saffie Joseph is a known juicer anyways, so this is good.

I wanted Practical Move to stay in though, because he would have taken $$, and he wasn’t getting the distance.

TWO PHIL'S profile:
Two Phil's has raced his entire career with blinkers, so that makes it difficult to access him because it affect's his sensory abilities. Where they do help him is in his forward focus. Thus far, he has only one race (synthetic track) that would make him a strong contender to win the Derby. As an example, his sire, Hard Spun was good enough to beat Street Sense (Derby winner) on synthetic, but was unable to beat him on the dirt. So, can Two Phil's repeat his performance on dirt as he did on the synthetic, we think not. He is a very good horse, and a top effort in the Derby would put him in the hunt, in fact, he was the last horse we cut prior to naming our top 5 horses. The question of being able to duplicate that synthetic run to the dirt is the main question.

Early on he proved to be a hard trying horse with good forward projection. In his second out at Colonial Downs, he showed outstanding speed while pressing a very fast pace of 21.80 and 44.65 indicating there is plenty of speed there.
It was also a positive in that he wasn't bothered by having a horse on either side of him during that race. Because of those blinkders, he is all forward energy.

Moving forward to his 4th career start in the Futurity at Keeneland. He drew post # 12 in a field of 14 which is not a good place to be. He was caught wide into the turn and bumped. His body control looked a little bit rough in this race and he tired to finish 7th. His effort was good, but he wasn't good enough to overcome the adversity. In his 3 year old season he began to show more even-tempered as he began to run longer distance. However, his final time in that race was very slow over the final 5/16th in 33.42.

Next was the 1 1/8 mile Risen Star. He moved into 3rd place turning for home and it looked like his race to win. He got out-closed by Angel of Empire on his outside and Sun Thunder on his inside. Mentally, he did not quit, but his final furlong in 13.40 was not good enough. The 1 1/8th mile on the deep-tiring track at the Fairgrounds seemed to be maxing out his race distance ability. But, then he looked great in his next race at the same distance on synthetic. His final 3 furlongs were 36.78 and his final furlong of 12.34 was much better than he previously ran on dirt.

So, is he a greatly improved horse, or does he just love the synthetic surface while competing against a group of non_Derby caliber horses? His blinkers compromise his space awareness, and the Derby is typically a very roughly run race. When Two Phils' is comfortable, he is a running machine and he does have the running style and tactical speed to get a good trip in the Derby.

My comments: I don't have him in my top 3, but I do include him with about 5 others who I expect to run very well. Even if he runs the same type race as he ran on synthetic, he will still need to improve about 2 points to have a chance to win. Definite contender if he gets a great trip and Loveberry doesn't get him in tight quarters and a bunch of bumping or jostling on the turns.
I usually don't like a horse that shows a big speed figure improvement going from dirt to synthetic. It usually means he favors synthetic/turf over dirt. His dirt races are solid but a notch below the top contenders. However, if there is one track where his synthetic form may transfer to dirt, its Churchill. I will use him in exacta boxes simply because he offers good value and have him underneath in a trifecta.
Capiche, that .50 tri is a $ 33.00 wager, as I'm sure you know. Can I pose a couple questions please?
How much do you win if it comes in 5/14/15, or 5/15/14, or 14/5/15, or 15/5/14, or 14/15/5, or 15/14/5?
Not to be Mr. Obvious, but you have the 5/14/15 to all run 1st or 2nd, but none of them to run 3rd?
Nothing wrong with that, but what happens if any combination of 5/14/15 runs 1-2-3?
I understand if you're just trying to goose up the payoff in the 3 hole with a longer shot. If so, that's cool.
I'm just interested in the way you constructed your wager. Thanks
I could see the $0.50 tri paying in the $40-70 range if the 3 favorites come in. I don't normally bet my tris in this fashion. I usually use my win horses in both the place and show spots in a tri. You're right, I'm looking for value. I'm just hoping one of the 3 favorites will not hit the board. I will be using the 3 in exacta boxes as a backup bet. Since there isn't much speed on paper, I hoping Kingsbarns or Verifying can get a good trip and hang on for third. Watch, one of them will run 2nd and blow my tri bet. I'll have to revise my tri with the scratch of Practical Move.

I usually don't like a horse that shows a big speed figure improvement going from dirt to synthetic. It usually means he favors synthetic/turf over dirt. His dirt races are solid but a notch below the top contenders. However, if there is one track where his synthetic form may transfer to dirt, its Churchill. I will use him in exacta boxes simply because he offers good value and have him underneath in a trifecta.

I could see the $0.50 tri paying in the $40-70 range if the 3 favorites come in. I don't normally bet my tris in this fashion. I usually use my win horses in both the place and show spots in a tri. You're right, I'm looking for value. I'm just hoping one of the 3 favorites will not hit the board. I will be using the 3 in exacta boxes as a backup bet. Since there isn't much speed on paper, I hoping Kingsbarns or Verifying can get a good trip and hang on for third. Watch, one of them will run 2nd and blow my tri bet. I'll have to revise my tri with the scratch of Practical Move.
Could not agree more about synthetic to Churchill. Very good point. His dad made a big synthetic-to-dirt move twice.

So, you're saying you do some odd stuff in wagering on the Derby? You should see some of the combos I play. LOL Play that way one time a year. It's the time to go for the gusto. Good luck.

Those are good questions dp. Probably the best place to start is some numbers that show the Brisnet or Timeform numbers. Crazy things can and do happen in this race, just look at last year's race won by an 80/1 shot that I and 99.9% of good handicappers would have just thrown out because his numbers were pathetic compared to the top 10 horses in the race. But, 4 times in the last 25 years a total bomb has won the race, and generally there is really no explanation as to why those horses won. Sometimes the speed is so fast that all the front runners stop and something out of the clouds wins. Other times the race is moderate and more horses have some run left at the head of the stretch. It just happens.

The trainer IS the most important part of the equation other than the horses' actual talent level. But, you take top trainers like Todd Pletcher and Steve Asmussen, and I think collectively in the Derby they are probably 1 for 80.
Almost every year Pletcher has 3-4-5 horses and still manages to lose almost every year except one.

Remember this is a race that each horse is running farther, carrying more weight, running against 19 other good horses, in front of 150K fans, so chaos is always prevalent. Horses get blocked out of the gate and shuffled back, so instead of running 3rd on the 1st turn, they look up and they're running 17th. Their race is over in 20 seconds. If you had bet one of those, you best get mind conditioned for a big letdown.

It's a race I love to bet on because the payoffs can be enormous. A guy can get lucky and play 4 random numbers in the super and take home upwards of a million dollars. This year I expect to bet the least amount on this race that I've bet in probably 10 years, simply because it's a very competitive field. I don't play chalk, but sometimes there is a Big Brown or American Pharoah and you gotta be stupid to try to beat those super horses. You just have to try to structure a wager where you can get a couple of long shots to run in behind them. Because they are going to win.

This year's race is not that type of race. There are multiple horses that can win this race. I try to capitalize on what I call an asymmetrical information gap, meaning I have more information about the horses than the vast majority of people. Will it put money in my pocket? Ask me about 6:30 on Saturday. Do I plan to make money Saturday before the Derby? Absolutely.
I'm here now, with time to read, projects done, not that it's important to some, but I said I'm interested and my word is my bond, and the Kings word is law as he said "screw the Queen"& 1000 men were killed in the stampede, because in those days the Kings word WAS law! I like humor! 👍🏻

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm here now, with time to read, projects done, not that it's important to some, but I said I'm interested and my word is my bond, and the Kings word is law as he said "screw the Queen"& 1000 men were killed in the stampede, because in those days the Kings word WAS law!
I'm glad you're onboard dp, I hate to have to fire your ass.

Reactions: dpnavy
I'm glad you're onboard dp, I hate to have to fire your ass.
Ok, now, I'm not a good math person, got through college algebra with a C+! Business, but I can do percentages! I look at 6 f time as a mark as how fast a race is being run! Good old Fonnor Park 6 f record is 1:10! Pretty fast for Fonnor Park! Orphan Kist! Secretariat ran a 109:45 6 f in the Belmont! Sizzling! And a longway to go! This only a benchmark for us here, What should the time be for a slow pace or what time for a fast pace at 6f? I'm expecting a fast track! I'm doing 4 seperate 4 horses exactas, $1 each box, ! I gonna put Tapit & Forte in each! The question, what time at 6 F, I want? Thanks

Last edited:
Exacta is picking 1-2 right?

Why a 1$ bet? Does it pay a lot?
Good question! I play for fun, If you win you get half the pot of the $2 exacta pool! But boxing the horses at $1, cost you half! I learned in the 80', 90's football, baseball, horses and till today, that I'm a average picker! I had a lot of info, but alas Ha, learned the hard way without losing alot! I do pick stocks, very conservative!! Like 123, I'll show you what I buy, but not advise you! And I have a reason why I own it, like 123 on horses!

Yes Exacta is in the right order horses 1 & 2 place! When I say box, that means with 3 or 4 horses, any combo of 1 or 2nd is covered by the bet! Trifecta is in the right order 3 horses! Box tells the bet taker behind the window, every combination in da bet!

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Ok, now, I'm not a good math person, got through college algebra with a C+! Business, but I can do percentages! I look at 6 f time as a mark as how fast a race is being run! Good old Fonnor Park 6 f record is 1:10! Pretty fast for Fonnor Park! Orphan Kist! Secretariat ran a 109:45 6 f in the Belmont! Sizzling! And a longway to go! This only a benchmark for us here, What should the time be for a slow pace or what time for a fast pace at 6f? I'm expecting a fast track! I'm doing 4 seperate 4 horses exactas, $1 each box, ! I gonna put Tapit & Forte in each! The question, what time at 6 F, I want? Thanks
In your case, you're gonna want a fast 6f time, since both your main horses are closers.
It also depends on the track condition.
The time is going to depend on how many of the early speed horses clear the gate and try to gun for the lead.
Horses with speed on the inside have no choice but to fire out of the gate.
There are no real speed demons in this race, but there are several with really good speed.

Correct. We'll use the #1 and #2 horse as examples.
You can bet a straight 1.00 exacta if 1-2 and it has to come in 1 first and 2 second.
You can bet a straight 1.00 exacta if 2-1 and it has to come in 2 in first and 1 in second.
Or you can just box the 1-2 and covers both horses in either order as long as they run 1st and second.
The payoff is dependent on the odds on each horse. The lower the odds on the horses the smaller the payoff. If you are betting two favorites is even less.
If you bet a favorite and say a 15/1 horse it could pay anywhere from 20.00 to 50..00 or so.
Tell me what the odds are, then I can give you a better figure.
I don't play chalk so I don't pay much attention to any exacta that pays less than 200.00

Could not agree more about synthetic to Churchill. Very good point. His dad made a big synthetic-to-dirt move twice.
Pelini, that's only partially true. Street Sense and Hard Spun ran against each other 4 times in 2007.

Street Sense was not nearly as good on poly as he was on dirt, and his numbers show that.

Hard Spun made a synthetic to dirt move twice. The first time he ran better by 2 points moving from TP to CD. (Which I think is the point of your comment that is definitely true and may allow Phil to jump up at CD. A 2 pt move at CD would put Phil at 0 and make him a total threat to win).

The second time was from Turfway to Monmouth, and he ran the same figure in both races. So in Hard Spun's 2nd poly to dirt move {TP to Mth} there was no improvement.

So, a case can be made that the move from Turfway to Churchill bodes very well for Two Phil's. (Dang it, I wish this would have come up 3-4 days ago, I could have actually went in and did some research and maybe further bolster your confidence in your horse, or see if there's a reason why it may not hold true in all cases).

I would have liked to have found some other Hard Spun horses that showed similar jump ups from TP to CD.

Good luck fellas.

Pelini, that's only partially true. Street Sense and Hard Spun ran against each other 4 times in 2007.

Street Sense was not nearly as good on poly as he was on dirt, and his numbers show that.

Hard Spun made a synthetic to dirt move twice. The first time he ran better by 2 points moving from TP to CD. (Which I think is the point of your comment that is definitely true and may allow Phil to jump up at CD. A 2 pt move at CD would put Phil at 0 and make him a total threat to win).

The second time was from Turfway to Monmouth, and he ran the same figure in both races. So in Hard Spun's 2nd poly to dirt move {TP to Mth} there was no improvement.

So, a case can be made that the move from Turfway to Churchill bodes very well for Two Phil's. (Dang it, I wish this would have come up 3-4 days ago, I could have actually went in and did some research and maybe further bolster your confidence in your horse, or see if there's a reason why it may not hold true in all cases).

I would have liked to have found some other Hard Spun horses that showed similar jump ups from TP to CD.

Good luck fellas.
I completely understand the consequences that come with gambling, but if you would share your top 5 or actual wagers your placing, I’ll take it from there with my thoughts.

Already looking forward to the second leg.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
There are some rumors floating around that Forte has a sore foot. It may explain why his odds are now in the 9-2/5-1 range. Tapit Trice, AOE and Forte will all vie for post time favorite.

I completely understand the consequences that come with gambling, but if you would share your top 5 or actual wagers your placing, I’ll take it from there with my thoughts.

Already looking forward to the second leg.
No can do. Plus, I have to go in and reconfigure all my wagers that I had Skinner in.

I have 5 horses that I think "can win" and 4 horses that "could run 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Obviously, I'm not betting 5 different horses to win, but I have combinations in tris and supers that involve 5 different horse on top.

I try to categorize them as TOP, TOP/Middle, and Fillers. TOP meaning I feel this horse can finish on top or 2nd, those that I call MIddle I feel proably won't win but could run 2-3-4, and those that I call Fillers I feel could run 3rd or 4th.

Not trying to be evasive Husker, but I said I wasn't going to pick horses. I'm hopeful you can derive from my comments after their profiles would lead you to coming up with the right horses.

Bearing in mind that just because I used as much info as possible, weird things happen like last year when Rich Strike won and paid $ 160.00. There are just things that none of us, including me, can account for. That's what makes it such a great race to wager on. In theory, you could have an 17 year old son, a 12 year old daughter and a pair of 2 year old twins, and bet 17-12-2 and hit the tri.

Because of running styles, and the issues with the start, I have narrowed down the predictable 7 horses that should be running in the first flight by the first turn. It likely will not work out that way because a couple could be compromised in the run to the turn. It's a crap shoot. That's why I always play contingencies.

I bet a Pick 6 years ago and had 3 different $ 40.00 winners among them, and lost to some lady from out of town that played 2-5-2-7-5-2 because she had a 25 year old son, a 27 year old son, and she and her husband were both 52. She took home the $ 62K and all I got was the memory. LOL

Maybe you can join PETA. It figures out to 1 death per 1,000 starts. Technically, 1.03 deaths per 1,000 starts.
I did not call to ban the sport, and I did not state that you cannot enjoy it. I did state that upon further reflection it is a sport that I no longer find enjoyable due to the deaths which appear to be increasing. Contrary to your figures, Churchill's death rate is 2.42 per 1,000-start average which is 50 percent higher than the national average.

If I told you that the Huskers took 1000 snaps last year and only had 3 athletes die, most people would find that concerning.

I did not call to ban the sport, and I did not state that you cannot enjoy it. I did state that upon further reflection it is a sport that I no longer find enjoyable due to the deaths which appear to be increasing. Contrary to your figures, Churchill's death rate is 2.42 per 1,000-start average which is 50 percent higher than the national average.

If I told you that the Huskers took 1000 snaps last year and only had 3 athletes die, most people would find that concerning.
1.03% out of 1000, or 2.42% out of a 1,000 are going to, unfortunately be numbers that any industry would strive for.

Yes, they are animals and they die. But so do pets. It doesn;t mean people should quit having pets.

So you equate a horse with a human being? Not even close closerchris.

And, with all due respect, your analogy is ridiculous.

I don't mean to infer you are anything less than showing a clear reason why you know longer follow the sport.
It's your personal choice, and I can respect that.

Going with Botanical in the Oaks here.

Holy cow she looks incredible…it’s nice when the looks on the track match your pre-race thoughts.

No can do. Plus, I have to go in and reconfigure all my wagers that I had Skinner in.

I have 5 horses that I think "can win" and 4 horses that "could run 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Obviously, I'm not betting 5 different horses to win, but I have combinations in tris and supers that involve 5 different horse on top.

I try to categorize them as TOP, TOP/Middle, and Fillers. TOP meaning I feel this horse can finish on top or 2nd, those that I call MIddle I feel proably won't win but could run 2-3-4, and those that I call Fillers I feel could run 3rd or 4th.

Not trying to be evasive Husker, but I said I wasn't going to pick horses. I'm hopeful you can derive from my comments after their profiles would lead you to coming up with the right horses.

Bearing in mind that just because I used as much info as possible, weird things happen like last year when Rich Strike won and paid $ 160.00. There are just things that none of us, including me, can account for. That's what makes it such a great race to wager on. In theory, you could have an 17 year old son, a 12 year old daughter and a pair of 2 year old twins, and bet 17-12-2 and hit the tri.

Because of running styles, and the issues with the start, I have narrowed down the predictable 7 horses that should be running in the first flight by the first turn. It likely will not work out that way because a couple could be compromised in the run to the turn. It's a crap shoot. That's why I always play contingencies.

I bet a Pick 6 years ago and had 3 different $ 40.00 winners among them, and lost to some lady from out of town that played 2-5-2-7-5-2 because she had a 25 year old son, a 27 year old son, and she and her husband were both 52. She took home the $ 62K and all I got was the memory. LOL
I’m going to give what would seem like a sheepish and weak reply to your reply.......I honestly thought that yesterday was Friday. Bear with me....

So my son graduated from the University of Texas yesterday (5/5) and the whole morning felt like a Saturday with the travel and greeting old friends and the such. I was panicking knowing that I had to sit through 1100 names just for his College of RT&F. Tried calling both my Mom and Sister in a panic needing someone to put my wager in, lol. Hence, me asking for your thoughts!

My Sister texts back and reminds what day it is.....all I could think of through the quagmire of Austin traffic was that I needed to let you know that I was a day off and didn’t mean to put that kind of imposition on you.

Anyway, my bets are in now. Kind of a relief because the whole UT class actually graduates tomorrow and I won’t be able to watch the Derby or worry about my picks being in. Lol

Pardon my ramble. Wanting to make sure that 1-2-3 knows how appreciative I am of the effort and insight.

GBR

I’m going to give what would seem like a sheepish and weak reply to your reply.......I honestly thought that yesterday was Friday. Bear with me....

So my son graduated from the University of Texas yesterday (5/5) and the whole morning felt like a Saturday with the travel and greeting old friends and the such. I was panicking knowing that I had to sit through 1100 names just for his College of RT&F. Tried calling both my Mom and Sister in a panic needing someone to put my wager in, lol. Hence, me asking for your thoughts!

My Sister texts back and reminds what day it is.....all I could think of through the quagmire of Austin traffic was that I needed to let you know that I was a day off and didn’t mean to put that kind of imposition on you.

Anyway, my bets are in now. Kind of a relief because the whole UT class actually graduates tomorrow and I won’t be able to watch the Derby or worry about my picks being in. Lol

Pardon my ramble. Wanting to make sure that 1-2-3 knows how appreciative I am of the effort and insight.

GBR
Husker, first of all, congratulations on your son's graduation! I didn't think twice about what you asked because I struggle with someone losing money on a horse race if they relied on anything I said. I don't mind losing my own money, but I sure hate others to lose theirs.

It bothers me if I think I played a part in someone else losing. Even with my wife, son and daughter, if I really like a horse, I'll just play money from my bankroll and then hand them the tickets, and fortunately, they could all afford to lose their own money.

It's like the race I posted yesterday. My 10/1 won the race, my 29/1 ran 3rd and the favorite, who should have run well, and my 2nd choice both ran dull races. I'll be taking several shots today before the Derby runs and likely be setting good before the Derby even runs.

It's still a really tough race. When Johnny Velasquez (riding the 7 horse Reincarnate) says he expects the Derby pace to be 22/45 that means "he" thinks the pace could be pretty fast. If that's the case, it sets up well for the closers, if they can avoid too much ground loss. Frankly, that type of pace would cook the majority, if not all, of the front runners. When the pace melts down like that, there's typically some wild outcomes.

As I've told my wife for years, in a huge field like the Derby, it only takes one horse to screw up the entire outcome, and it's near impossible to account for every single horse. Outside of 3 pretty large supers I've hit in the Derby in the last 5 years, I've actually had my best returns by playing 1 horse/1 horse/ALL trifectas. The trick is being able to run 1-2 and then you can account for the other 17 horses. So, you can play a lot of combinations, for not a whole lot of money, and still hit some big ones.

In all honesty, horseracing is such an easy game and at the same time its a really difficult game. Day in and day out, its so easy to find overmatched fields with a horse that will bring home the money for you. But with these 3 year old studs, all of whom are good in their own way, when some of them don't get their way in a horse race, they just pack it in.

I made my bones in this sport playing trainer angles with intent. You can't imagine how many really good trainers there are out there that only win 8%-10% on the year. They all have their specialties. People talk about a horse being a "distance specialist", the same applies to trainers. There are some trainers who win almost every one of their races at a specific distance, and train their horses accordingly.

An example is one of my trainers at Gulfstream. Small timer, but he is an absolute machine with Maiden Claimers for 12.5K going 5 1/2 furlongs on the synthetic. Now, most gamblers would never play real money on a 12.5K claimer, but this trainer always overpowers that class level, and his mutuels are always in $ 50.00 to win or more category. If he does that 7-8 times a year, (and he does) its easy to make 15K-20K just on that one guy. If you track 150 trainers nationally like I do, there are opportunities nearly on a daily basis.

For example, during this Churchill Downs meet. You will find a fairly big trainer, Michael Maker, has claimed a Maiden for 30K, run this horse back and win at 50K virtually every single time. They are not big payers, but in the 15.00 to 20.00 range. Another is James Baker at 7f. Almost automatic. These guys, and hundreds more, have their specialties. Some are great with male horses, and not worth a shit with females.

Typically, if you find a trainer that's a little tough on male horses, his female horses just will not run well. Other than the masochists type females like Zenyatta, fillies and mares don't like to be roughed up. That's why Michael Matz, Graham Motion, Richard Mandella tend to be spectacular with filles and mares. They are gentle, but great trainers.

It's a great sport, a really dirty sport, and it's not for eveyone, but I do love the game. Sometimes a horse just fails to run worth a crap, other days they light up the tote board. Some days, you can feel like a dipshit, other days you look like a genius. (Right Pelini?) I know he knows this game, but we both wound up liking a horse yesterday, and neither one of them picked up their hooves. It just happens and doesn't mean Pelini and I don't know the hell we're doing, because I promise we do. We're not designed to enjoy success every single time or where would the challenge be it that?

Again, congratulations to your son, have a great day, and let's hope we don't get too many surprises in the Derby, but I say that with no conviction whatsoever. LOL There will be chaos.

It would almost be really interesting to have some of the horse players in here join me in a private chat room where we just talk horses. That way it doesn't interefer with the real purpose of this forum and that is Husker football. I'm at the age, where I've mastered this sport and don't have an issue with passing on some handicapping tips to guys who really enjoy the game. I just don't know who the degenerate gamblers are, and that causes me to not offer to do it.

To be honest, other than the Triple Crown races, the Breeder's Cup, I don't generally play big races. So many times you settle on a horse, and he runs great only to get beat by another outstanding animal who just gets a better trip or is just a little better than day. I'd much rather play trainers that i KNOW have pointed their horse in a 15K claimer, or a cheap optional claimer and play the guy who I know has that horse ready to roll. If I have my druthers, I'll go after the easy money rather than trying to handicap a dozen closely matched horses. Few guys ever are good enough to win consistently doing that. I've never separated the money I won on the Kentucky Derby or a Breeders Cup race and felt it spent any better than the money I won at Delaware on a Tuesday afternoon. It all spends.

Let me give you guys some food for thought. There is no doubt, the majority of these trainers today have worked all year getting these horses in the Derby as sharp as they can for today's race. By that, I mean, they have designed their workouts, they spent 3 months getting that horse ready for a top effort TODAY. What is the difference from a small time trainer at GP, or TB or EvD or Haw from doing the same thing? Sure, they may have a 10,000 claimer who will never be a great horse, but they can get that horse razor sharp for an out next month that they've targeted for 3 months. Some of these cheap animals are push-button.

The trainer has ran them poorly, darkened their form, convinced the betting public that the 10,000 claimer is a piece or crap. So they run 7th by 15 lengths. Then they run 8th by 12 lengths. All the time, if you're savvy, you can see in those races, they keep the horse off the rail, they keep them away from other horses in the race so the horse doesn't get roughed up. At the 3/8 pole the jockey gets into the horse with the whip to the 1/8th pole, then they reel the horse in. The whip only serves a purpose for the NEXT out, when they will need to ask that horse for everything they got in order to take the purse money. When they push the button in the targeted race, that horse runs huge. That's how a guys who wins 5% of his races survives in this sport. If that horse doesn't fire big that day, the trainer don't eat for a month. It all happens right underneath gamblers noses, and they never even suspect it. Yes, even long term gamblers I've talked to are as clueless as you can get.

For the experienced guys. Trainers that run 6th, 7th, 8th and worse for 2 or 3 outs, typically are setting this horse up for a big effort. Why do I know that? Because if a horse doesn't finish in the top 5, they are virtually never tested for drugs in the test barn. So, they can run a horse up the track today, inject that horse with a bronchial dialator, work the horse out, run another race where they intend to finish 6th or worse, come out of the race, give the horse another bronchial dialator, enter a race, run up the track again. Then the next out, they fire the horse and they get a huge effort with the purse money and likley a wager. That horse has had 2 or 3 bronchial dialator treatments and is prepared to the gills. Dialators are PED's that clear up the breathing passages and are also steroids. These horses can be totally different physically when the trainer wants them to be.

One more example then I'm gonna sign off for the day. This is an actual horse. The horse has had 10 outs, remains a maiden and has had horrible results over a 10 race period. The trainer has run the horse in sprints, then tried routes, then back to a sprint. He gave the horse lasix, then gave the horse phenylbutazone, added blinkers, took them off, added front wraps, then took them off. Then on the 11th out the horse goes a route, wins by 9 lengths and pays over $ 100.00 to win. How can that possibly happen?

You see the Beyers throughout his 10 race career. 37, 41, 28, 31, 42, 41, 37, 19, 47, and 38. The day he wins he runs a Beyer of 73. That's no shit, that's one of the guys I play. Another trainer at Tampa Bay fires the 7th out at the track.

Money in the bank and has been doing it for 20 years. That stuff passes right over the head of 99.9999999% of the best handicappers in the country. These type of trainers are all over the place in this business.

They don't have to be Steve Asmussen, Brad Cox, Bob Baffert or Chad Brown to be great horsemen.

Name a track. I can give you 20 trainers and what they do. They gotta eat too.

Good luck to all today that play the Derby, I'm hoping some of us will have good luck and avoid bad luck.

Last edited:
Man I used to love the horses. But I just cannot do it anymore.

Horses break down playing in the pasture too. I saw a stud that broke a hind leg trying to breed a mare.

Forte just scratched.
With Forte out, AOE and Tapit Trice are both currently at 9-2 with Two Phil's and Derma Sotogake both at 7-1. I had a $20 win bet on Forte in the 4th Kentucky Derby advanced wagering pool at 8-1 back in February. I assume Forte will probably miss the Preakness. Hopefully he'll be back for the Belmont or just wait for Saratoga.

• Sad
Reactions: king_kong_
Poor bastard, but what a way to go.
There are equine sports physiologists who suggest that there would be way less horses break down if we didn’t start training until they were 3 and then didn’t race them until they were late 3 year olds. It would allow the bone and connective tissue to mature. Ironically the breakdown risk increases again after 5 years of age according to one study. Horses raced on turf had a 3x higher risk of breakdown.

With Forte out, AOE and Tapit Trice are both currently at 9-2 with Two Phil's and Derma Sotogake both at 7-1. I had a $20 win bet on Forte in the 4th Kentucky Derby advanced wagering pool at 8-1 back in February. I assume Forte will probably miss the Preakness. Hopefully he'll be back for the Belmont or just wait for Saratoga.
They just keep sucking that value out of that race.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
There are equine sports physiologists who suggest that there would be way less horses break down if we didn’t start training until they were 3 and then didn’t race them until they were late 3 year olds. It would allow the bone and connective tissue to mature. Ironically the breakdown risk increases again after 5 years of age according to one study. Horses raced on turf had a 3x higher risk of breakdown.
I think they are wrong. Horses used to run much more often, built up much better foundations.

I think some of it has to do with the racing surfaces. In Secretariat's day, the racetracks had much less of cushion than in recent years. It was almost like running on a highway, very little give.

A large part has to do with drugs. So many horses are running with so many medications that mask their actual minor injuries or pain.

dingle, wouldn't you think that running on mostly manicured surfaces like the turf, that it would be very comfortable to run on? Its their natural surface, yet, as they say, they do break down.

Nowadays, with several tracks employing artificial surfaces, Polytrack/Tapeta, that those tracks are VERY hard on a horse's ass end. It really tightens the rear quarters tight. That's why so many of them really jump up when they move back to a regular dirt surface. And on artificial, they tend to run those like turf races. Start slow and finish fast, whereas on dirt its start fast and finish slower.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT