ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Anyone fight with spouse about money?

I got my house on a short sale. Took about 4 months for it close.

The day I signed the papers I walked into a house that was appraised for 40K more than I paid for it. I got super lucky.

Of course now it is appraised at about 150K over what I paid for it.
Nice!! Pretty quick for a short sale

Tampa - i am so confused. You are basically a millionaire (assuming you have a healthy amount in retirement at 40) and you spent last night complaining you couldn’t get ahead.

Seth Meyers I Give Up GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Good on you - but what an absolute waste of time 🤣
Welcome to the off-season 🤣.

I’m listening to any and all advice, started this thread to see what has worked for others.
I wish you the best, I will be 70 this month and I have always listened to people whom I observed and felt they were doing things right and used the things they told me. At the end of the day, I would come up with a plan for myself. I would come up with a best-worst case scenario and in doing so, varations are maybe a little easier to get through. I am a big believer in a saying knowledge is power. I was at a meeting 25-30 years a go and the guys name was Bill Helming, he made a statement that I have never forgotten, " every generation wants there kids to have it better than what they had it, but, at some point this is going to stop. I have been reading through this and it makes me think of another saying that says kids want to have right away what Mom and Dad have worked their whole life for. I don't feel I am anybody special, but I never worried about what other people thought about what I was doing, except the banker of course. Good luck and I feel your pain with the wife. Yes, bye most peoples standards, I have been successful, my wife will ask me if I think I'm rich, I say no, but I have more than some, but not as much as others.

I wish you the best, I will be 70 this month and I have always listened to people whom I observed and felt they were doing things right and used the things they told me. At the end of the day, I would come up with a plan for myself. I would come up with a best-worst case scenario and in doing so, varations are maybe a little easier to get through. I am a big believer in a saying knowledge is power. I was at a meeting 25-30 years a go and the guys name was Bill Helming, he made a statement that I have never forgotten, " every generation wants there kids to have it better than what they had it, but, at some point this is going to stop. I have been reading through this and it makes me think of another saying that says kids want to have right away what Mom and Dad have worked their whole life for. I don't feel I am anybody special, but I never worried about what other people thought about what I was doing, except the banker of course. Good luck and I feel your pain with the wife. Yes, bye most peoples standards, I have been successful, my wife will ask me if I think I'm rich, I say no, but I have more than some, but not as much as others.
The part about wanting my kids to have a better life than I is what kind of stirs me inside, I had a great childhood where there was a lot of fun and a lot of work to earn that fun. Parents were able to put siblings and I through college debt free and I feel obligated to provide that to my kids but in these times it’s seeming like a pipe dream. Has me feeling guilty I may not be able to provide the life to them I was afforded.

Ouch guys. My adopted son turned down Michigan and Notre Dame and signed with Hayden Fry and played for Ferentz.

My son was a full ride baseball player for Iowa.

They both graduated from Iowa, and when they play each other, they are all about the Huskers.

Do the math. I have a $ 200,000.00 reason for liking the University of Iowa.
Youre forgiven….I guess.

• Love
Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
You can still grab two Little Caesars pies for about 15 dollars.

No one will know if you ditch the box. Girls are insane.

Then be what you set out to be. If that’s your goal, seems rather easy discussion you can have with her. No offense, but if your wife doesn’t understand she can’t spend like crazy when things are tight - then there’s no help for you
Always right on the button c3o.

I'm referring to Red now. My son always says, "Pops, you can't take someone from 0 to 100 when trying to teach them or have them begin to see things your way." Over the years, I have "slowed down" my delivery method as a result.

Maybe, if she's receptive, just go to a site like Zero Hedge and have her read an occassional article. Yeah, I know...they do lots of topics, but the topics of interest deal in economics and the true state of the economy.

They do good content on things like the repo rates on vehicles, with specific reasons its happening on a month to month basis. They do articles about the deposit rates and how fast they are falling for banks, and then give you food for thought as to the reason why. They do good stuff on how many folks are falling a month, 2 months, 3 months behind on their mortgage.

You'll find how many people nave maxxed out their credit cards each week/month and how some people are now financing the purchase of their food. Those folks are in big trouble.

For people that are not dialed in, slowly they start to put some pieces of the puzzle together and become more willing to consider a change. Of course, some people will just never "get it."

Then all of a sudden, they say, "shit, this economy really sucks. Maybe we should make some changes, so we don't become one of those statistics."

It can't hurt. I always found rewarding good behavior to be a win-win situation. If someone (not talking about anyone in particular) begins to modify their spending, then reward them. If they normally blow $ 200.00 a month, and something you are doing saves $ 100.00, then reward them in a way that they would welcome. The thing is, you can begin to develop a pattern that leads to winning. Years ago I would suggest to my wife, "let's see if we can win in this category this month."

Some people will think this is horseshit, and that's okay. It's got to be difficult to get your partner to change of lifetime of doing things a certain way. But, when all other approaches have failed, a different approach could help.

I'lll end this before I get to really rambling.

Last edited:
By the way, countrybob is "special."

Don't let this man's modest explanation fool you, he is one smart dude. How do I know?

I've had the pleasure of having coffee with him twice. We private message often, and when I am pondering anything farming related, countrybob is my "go-to" guy. He's been there and done that. His experience and a having become a VERY successful man who kept everything together while other operations were falling by the wayside. He just has a great intuitive sense of coming up with the right solution for he and his family.

His mentality of not worrying about what others think, is right up my alley. When jaemekon posed the question earlier this week about who you'd like to spend the day with, I didn't include countrybob, because he and I have carved out a great friendship based on a few things. Neither of us is expecting anything from the other, just good honest conversation. Nothing has been off the table, and the topic of conversation is whatever either one of us wants it to be.

countrybob is as good as it gets. Other than my wife, he is my favorite boomer.

The part about wanting my kids to have a better life than I is what kind of stirs me inside, I had a great childhood where there was a lot of fun and a lot of work to earn that fun. Parents were able to put siblings and I through college debt free and I feel obligated to provide that to my kids but in these times it’s seeming like a pipe dream. Has me feeling guilty I may not be able to provide the life to them I was afforded.
If you are truly only worried about paying for college just go the instate route:

Two years at Metro - $9,830

Two Years at UNO - $16,272

Instate College degree = $26,102 (yes in today's dollars but the prices will stay very reasonable.. most likely)

That works out to be around $543.79 per month for 4 years. Kid lives at home and pays for books, that is doable Baloney Pony Man. Look into the NEST 529 plan. Scholarships are not super hard to come by, make sure your kids aim for 3.0GPA and are doing leadership/service activities. Also look into post grad tuition reimbursement, a recent Creighton Nurse grad I know had an offer to work instate for 4 years and they would pay off her loans.

Average price of a new car is $49,500! Almost double the education! Proud Mav here, paid 20k 15 years ago and came out with zero debt. Best investment I've ever made, besides my Fleshlight. That thing probably saved me millions.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
If you are truly only worried about paying for college just go the instate route:

Two years at Metro - $9,830

Two Years at UNO - $16,272

Instate College degree = $26,102 (yes in today's dollars but the prices will stay very reasonable.. most likely)

That works out to be around $543.79 per month for 4 years. Kid lives at home and pays for books, that is doable Baloney Pony Man. Look into the NEST 529 plan. Scholarships are not super hard to come by, make sure your kids aim for 3.0GPA and are doing leadership/service activities. Also look into post grad tuition reimbursement, a recent Creighton Nurse grad I know had an offer to work instate for 4 years and they would pay off her loans.

Average price of a new car is $49,500! Almost double the education! Proud Mav here, paid 20k 15 years ago and came out with zero debt. Best investment I've ever made, besides my Fleshlight. That thing probably saved me millions.
My kids are young , we’ve got time to save and who knows what they will want to pursue after high school. Just need to get started.

Reactions: countrybob
Someone else mentioned it earlier - but making sure retirement is funded before college is crucial. If for some reason you can’t pay for college for kids, you did not let them down, you are not a bad father. I was able to get through college working 30 ish hours a week and learning how to budget my money at that time was good practice for future self. Lessons can be learned both ways!

By the way, countrybob is "special."

Don't let this man's modest explanation fool you, he is one smart dude. How do I know?

I've had the pleasure of having coffee with him twice. We private message often, and when I am pondering anything farming related, countrybob is my "go-to" guy. He's been there and done that. His experience and a having become a VERY successful man who kept everything together while other operations were falling by the wayside. He just has a great intuitive sense of coming up with the right solution for he and his family.

His mentality of not worrying about what others think, is right up my alley. When jaemekon posed the question earlier this week about who you'd like to spend the day with, I didn't include countrybob, because he and I have carved out a great friendship based on a few things. Neither of us is expecting anything from the other, just good honest conversation. Nothing has been off the table, and the topic of conversation is whatever either one of us wants it to be.

countrybob is as good as it gets. Other than my wife, he is my favorite boomer.
Thank you for your kind words, and most of all your friendship. Even today, I search out people who I feel have lots of smarts and am not afraid to ask what they think and when I would read your responses, felt I needed to meet you and I guess it is intuition. NOW, make sure you stay out of trouble. I wanted to put a big smiley face behind that, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Congrats to your daughter on her expansion and I can only imagine how much help you are.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Thank you for your kind words, and most of all your friendship. Even today, I search out people who I feel have lots of smarts and am not afraid to ask what they think and when I would read your responses, felt I needed to meet you and I guess it is intuition. NOW, make sure you stay out of trouble. I wanted to put a big smiley face behind that, but couldn't figure out how to do it. Congrats to your daughter on her expansion and I can only imagine how much help you are.
countrybob, you and I have both reached the age where getting in trouble can only come from one source.
We'll just call it C. or V.

My daughter is doing the vast majority of the work, I mostly attain lots of bids and estimates and narrow them down for her to make the real decision. I'm her business consultant, but I'm more of a glorified gopher, that's why she's the boss. LOL

Gotta run, I have a couple companies that are dragging their feet on bids, so I'm fixin' to "encourage" them.

Reactions: countrybob
Hamms. $18 for 30. Plus, it is a premium American lager that doesn’t bend the knee to the confused.
I always enjoyed Hamms back when I could drink beer. Of course I like Old Style too. Old Milwaukee was the college cheap beer go to.

The major problem is the amount of deposits in the banking industry are dropping like a rock. There are reasons, such as people just have less available cash than they did a few years back.

The bigger issue is the regional banks exposure in the commercial real estate market. They own 70% of the commercial real estate market and common sense says with so many companies doing their "work at home" business model, many of those real estate buildings are empty or have significantly less space rented. Thus, their value is, in a lot of cases, underwater.

The day Obummer signed that bail in policy, my wife and I withdrew all but a few hundred dollars from the bank. I figure if they wanna steal a few hundred, more power to 'em.

We've got an ass backward country.
Good call…

Good call…

In California, some people are now being De-banked. Folks have been receiving letters from their bank(s) which read:

"We are writing to inform you that we will no longer be able to serve you.
As a result of this decision your account will be closed within 14 days from the date of this letter.
Any remaining account balances will be sent by check to the address we have on file."

And what makes it worse is those people are having a hard time finding any other bank to take them as customers. It's almost like a "no-fly" policy, where you get de-banked from one bank and none of the other banks wants to jump into the crosshairs of the powers that are issuing these de-bank notices.

Which kinda leads me to my next statement about those who own stocks. I've already stated a couple times, I'm not a believer in stocks and only own 3K shares of a junior mining stock. But, for those that have stocks, and especially if they have or intend to hold them for a long time, in my case, I prefer to have the actual Stock Certificate in my hands. It's irrelevant how little I own, the fact is, I own it, and I took measures to have proof that I do own the stock.

When you do business with a broker or an E-Trade, AmeriTrade, etc., they are reluctant to order for you actual physical Stock Certificates. The problem with "some brokers", and I'm not saying all brokers, but they may tend to have that order in a street account. No question, the vast majority are ethical operators, but as in all aspects of life, there's a fine line between morality and legality.

The brokerage firm my son was working with gave him the run around when he ordered the Stock Certificates be sent to him. I told my son to contact the Stock company to see if they would send the physical certificates and we would pay a normal, nominal fee. I told him to make sure to write down the state the company was registered in. So, then I had my son contact the Secretary of State for that state and ask them to suggest to the transfer agent for the company to send out the certificates we ordered, and of course, they complied.

This was all done because I wanted to have physical certificates that he could show our grandsons, they each own 750 shares, and begin to introduce them to the concept of stocks and other financial "things." It wasn't a big deal, but showing a 10 year old and a 5 year old an actual Certificate, they thought it was pretty cool that they owned a stock. It's one thing to show young kids a stock rating, etc, on a computer screen, it's another to show them the actual certificate.

This may seem petty, but it all goes back to my philosophy in precious metals. I don't want to look on a computer screen and see I own something, I like to have it in my own hands.

Thanks for indulging.

Last edited:
In California, some people are now being De-banked. Folks have been receiving letters from their bank(s) which read:

As a result of this decision your account will be closed within 14 days from the date of this letter.
Any remaining account balances will be sent by check to the address we have on file."

And what makes it worse is those people are having a hard time finding any other bank to take them as customers. It's almost like a "no-fly" policy, where you get de-banked from one bank and none of the other banks wants to jump into the crosshairs of the powers that are issuing these de-bank notices.

Which kinda leads me to my next statement about those who own stocks. I've already stated a couple times, I'm not a believer in stocks and only own 3K shares of a junior mining stock. But, for those that have stocks, and especially if they have or intend to hold them for a long time,, in my case, I prefer to have the actual Stock Certificate in my hands. It's irrelevant how little I own, the fact is, I own it, and I took measures to have proof that I do own the stock.

When you do business with a broker or an E-Trade, AmeriTrade, etc., they are reluctant to order for you actual physical Stock Certificates. The problem with "some brokers", and I'm not saying all brokers, but they may tend to have that order in a street account. No question, the vast majority are ethical operators, but as in all aspects of life, there's a fine line between morality and legality.

The brokerage firm my son was working with gave him the run around when he ordered the Stock Certificates be sent to him. I told my son to contact the Stock company to see if they would send the physical certificates and we would pay a normal, nominal fee. I told him to make sure to write down the state the company was registered in. So, then I had my son contact the Secretary of State for that state and ask them to suggest to the transfer agent for the company to send out the certificates we ordered, and of course, they complied.

This was all done because I wanted to have physical certificates that he could show our grandsons, they each own 750 shares, and begin to introduce them to the concept of stocks and other financial "things." It wasn't a big deal, but showing a 10 year old and a 5 year old an actual Certificate, they thought it was pretty cool that they owned a stock. It's one thing to show young kids a stock rating, etc, on a computer screen, it's another to show them the actual certificate.

This may seem petty, but it all goes back to my philosophy in precious metals. I don't want to look on a computer screen and see I own something, I like to have it imy own hands.

Thanks for indulging.
It was awesome that you went through all that work for your grandson but I'm pretty sure my kids understand the same concepts from looking at their custodial Schwab account. Mainly I just want to teach them saving and the power of compound interest.

Which kinda leads me to my next statement about those who own stocks. I've already stated a couple times, I'm not a believer in stocks and only own 3K shares of a junior mining stock. But, for those that have stocks, and especially if they have or intend to hold them for a long time, in my case, I prefer to have the actual Stock Certificate in my hands. It's irrelevant how little I own, the fact is, I own it, and I took measures to have proof that I do own the stock.

This may seem petty, but it all goes back to my philosophy in precious metals. I don't want to look on a computer screen and see I own something, I like to have it in my own hands.

Thanks for indulging.
25 years ago or so I went and got my Series 7 securities and insurance licenses in part because I didn’t trust our area brokers. We finally had some money to invest and I was looking for a change. I learned pretty quickly that my concerns were justified. There are some now I would trust but I would say it’s 50/50.

I’ve told more than one person that stock ownership is just paper. You don’t invest more in individual stocks than you can afford to lose. I’ve had some go to zero. I’ve also had some quadruple in 2 years. I’m way ahead but don’t mess with individual stocks anymore.

It was awesome that you went through all that work for your grandson but I'm pretty sure my kids understand the same concepts from looking at their custodial Schwab account. Mainly I just want to teach them saving and the power of compound interest.
Mutual Funds are a great relatively safe vehicle for most people. Dollar cost averaging and time in the market. Even during the Great Depression and crash people who stayed in the market recouped their losses in 7 years. It’s one of the reasons investment advisors say you should have a 7 year time horizon on when you need or want to cash out to invest in stock funds.

25 years ago or so I went and got my Series 7 securities and insurance licenses in part because I didn’t trust our area brokers. We finally had some money to invest and I was looking for a change. I learned pretty quickly that my concerns were justified. There are some now I would trust but I would say it’s 50/50.

I’ve told more than one person that stock ownership is just paper. You don’t invest more in individual stocks than you can afford to lose. I’ve had some go to zero. I’ve also had some quadruple in 2 years. I’m way ahead but don’t mess with individual stocks anymore.
dingle, you are I are very similar in our thinking in regards to the broker/stock subject. I know we have more than a few on here that likely do very well with stocks, and I say more power to them. It's a tricky game, and unless you're really knowledgeable and passionate about it, I think its a pretty good recipe for losing money.

You've done quite well in education, owning a farm or two, some real estate, etc. Your intiuitive nature regarding who is trustworthy and who's not benefitted you and your family. You've built a nice legacy.

Last edited:
Mutual Funds are a great relatively safe vehicle for most people. Dollar cost averaging and time in the market. Even during the Great Depression and crash people who stayed in the market recouped their losses in 7 years. It’s one of the reasons investment advisors say you should have a 7 year time horizon on when you need or want to cash out to invest in stock funds.
I hate mutual funds after watching index funds I owned and picked myself and individual stocks outperform the fund manager I was paying fees to. Totally agree with the rest of your post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT