ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Anyone fight with spouse about money?

I grew up in south O relatively poor. I lived at home and worked while going to college so I wouldn't have a bunch of school loans. Worked for 30 plus years in software never making 6 figures and saved my ass off. Bought a pretty nice house and paid it off in about 15 years. Married a smart woman with a good job later in life. We never had kids. I retired at 55 almost 3 years ago with no debts, a house worth at least $350,000 and more money than I will ever need. This doesn't even include my wife's money. I have yet to touch my IRA's or 401k. My advice is don't live beyond your means, spend as little as possible on college, max out your 401k, learn to be handy around the house, don't buy all the fancy new toys. Also, don't have to have kids unless you absolutely feel the need. :)
Looks like you did an awesome job bmb. You're a perfect example of winning large through really smart planning.

You're the guy that doesn't really care when the price of gas goes up, or they raise your insurance premium, you've built
so much flexibility into your overall plan, that virtually nothing can sidetrack you.

Last edited:
I grew up in south O relatively poor. I lived at home and worked while going to college so I wouldn't have a bunch of school loans. Worked for 30 plus years in software never making 6 figures and saved my ass off. Bought a pretty nice house and paid it off in about 15 years. Married a smart woman with a good job later in life. We never had kids. I retired at 55 almost 3 years ago with no debts, a house worth at least $350,000 and more money than I will ever need. This doesn't even include my wife's money. I have yet to touch my IRA's or 401k. My advice is don't live beyond your means, spend as little as possible on college, max out your 401k, learn to be handy around the house, don't buy all the fancy new toys. Also, don't have to have kids unless you absolutely feel the need. :)
You are a straight up …

You Rock GIF

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I love the Huskers, I like the Hawkeyes.
Ouch guys. My adopted son turned down Michigan and Notre Dame and signed with Hayden Fry and played for Ferentz.

My son was a full ride baseball player for Iowa.

They both graduated from Iowa, and when they play each other, they are all about the Huskers.

Do the math. I have a $ 200,000.00 reason for liking the University of Iowa.

Ouch guys. My adopted son turned down Michigan and Notre Dame and signed with Hayden Fry and played for Ferentz.

My son was a full ride baseball player for Iowa.

They both graduated from Iowa, and when they play each other, they are all about the Huskers.

Do the math. I have a $ 200,000.00 reason for liking the University of Iowa.
Gross

you're not alone.

there are many Nebraska fans who also root for iowa.

there are zero iowa fans who also root for Nebraska.

thus, we view our Black Friday game as a friendly. they see it as a rivalry.
I don't really root for the Hawkeyes, I just don't have the vitriol that a lot of people do. It's all good.

I know.. I agree with you. Obama signed the bank bail in policy which means banks can take your money and turn it into stocks.
The major problem is the amount of deposits in the banking industry are dropping like a rock. There are reasons, such as people just have less available cash than they did a few years back.

The bigger issue is the regional banks exposure in the commercial real estate market. They own 70% of the commercial real estate market and common sense says with so many companies doing their "work at home" business model, many of those real estate buildings are empty or have significantly less space rented. Thus, their value is, in a lot of cases, underwater.

The day Obummer signed that bail in policy, my wife and I withdrew all but a few hundred dollars from the bank. I figure if they wanna steal a few hundred, more power to 'em.

We've got an ass backward country.

I know.. I agree with you. Obama signed the bank bail in policy which means banks can take your money and turn it into stocks.
In a perfect world... how long do you expect it to take you and your wife to be able to reasonably afford the home you'd like?

Do you have a timeline?

Reactions: king_kong_
Has to be more out there like me. A guy who works hard, multiple jobs to provide a cushion to his family to experience at least a taste of the middle class lifestyle of living in an average house, drive average vehicles and try to put money away for retirement ( never enough) , make sure there is enough money coming in to cover the mortgage, life insurance, insurance, utilities, food, clothing , daycare and all the other bullshit a family needs to survive. Inflation is hitting some of the bills and I explained to the wife I’d like to set up a budget and see where we can trim some excessive costs, this turns into a your attacking me and my spending. **** Me and god damn women! Rant over.
If this continues to be a bone of contention between you, you both might want to seek professional help.
My wife and I were on the same page in regard to finances and how to raise the kids for our entire marriage which has lasted for 52 years. I believe the two are connected.

If this continues to be a bone of contention between you, you both might want to seek professional help.
My wife and I were on the same page in regard to finances and how to raise the kids for our entire marriage which has lasted for 52 years. I believe the two are connected.
Actually Tampa and I are getting along just fine today. We seemed to have turned the page and now we are actually talking about productive issues.

Your second sentence applies 100% to my wife and I, with the exception we've been married 47 years.

• Haha
Reactions: SuperBigFan
In a perfect world... how long do you expect it to take you and your wife to be able to reasonably afford the home you'd like?

Do you have a timeline?
Hoping within 12-18 months. We have about 600k in cash getting over 5% return .. everything is just way over valued so we’re waiting another year.. not looking for a starter home.. it will be our forever home, but it must be in a great school district. The school district is why we haven’t purchased yet. We don’t really care about rates, but care more about purchase price.

We’ll see if the market drops a bit.. it’s showing sings that it’s weakening here but we’ll see.

We are really good savers. Both our cars are about 10 years old but still running well. We rarely go out to eat. Our rent is way cheaper than buying anything in our neighborhood so just doing our best to save for now.

Hoping within 12-18 months. We have about 600k in cash getting over 5% return .. everything is just way over valued so we’re waiting another year.. not looking for a starter home.. it will be our forever home, but it must be in a great school district. The school district is why we haven’t purchased yet. We don’t really care about rates, but care more about purchase price.

We’ll see if the market drops a bit.. it’s showing sings that it’s weakening here but we’ll see.

We are really good savers. Both our cars are about 10 years old but still running well. We rarely go out to eat. Our rent is way cheaper than buying anything in our neighborhood so just doing our best to save for now.
I just have a suspicion that real estate is going to tank. When the 10 year Treasury is at 4.07, that is a dangerous sign. It means that foreign countries are no longer buyng US debt, it also means the American citizens are no longer buying our debt either.

Even as early as August 22 when the BRICS nations announce a potential competitor to the USD it could trigger something big. I don't expect it to, but we are talking about foreign countries that would love to farther weaken the US.

If the market tanks, you very well could slide into a really nice home for the right price. People say it's callous to take advantage of developing opportunities, but that's the way of the world.

When you look at the huge numbers of people that are in the arrears for paying their mortgage, it won't take much to put many of them over the top. I don't plan to take advantage of people's misfortune, but there are thousands of younger guys like you waiting for an opportunity to pay a fair price for the home of their choosing.

I like that you're keeping your powder dry, but having a bunch of money in a bank would make me nervous.

By the way, and you already know this, you're doing an awful lot of the right things. I can understand your frustration.

Last edited:
I just have a suspicion that real estate is going to tank. When the 10 year Treasury is at 4.07, that is a dangerous sign. It means that foreign countries are no longer buyng US debt, it also means the American citizens are no longer buying our debt either.

Even as early as August 22 when the BRICS nations announce a potential competitor to the USD it could trigger something big. I don't expect it to, but we are talking about foreign countries that would love to farther weaken the US.

If the market tanks, you very well could slide into a really nice home for the right price. People say it's callous to take advantage of developing opportunities, but that's the way of the world.

When you look at the huge numbers of people that are in the arrears for paying their mortgage, it won't take much to put many of them over the top. I don't plan to take advantage of people's misfortune, but there are thousands of younger guys like you waiting for an opportunity to pay a fair price for the home of their choosing.

I like that you're keeping your powder dry, but having a bunch of money in a bank would make me nervous.
Yeah it’s a bit nerve wracking… Hope to
Have a much less cash position soon

By the way, and you already know this, you're doing an awful lot of the right things. I can understand your frustration.
Good to see the old dog and pup playing nice today.

Yeah it’s a bit nerve wracking… Hope to
Have a much less cash position soon
As wicked as it may sound, if the derivatives market breaks, its very possible regional banks will have no choice but to call-in loans on people. Old Yeller just the same as said they would not bail out people. If that's the case, it could be a blood bath. In that case, if you were able to manage your risk, you would be one ready to pounce.

Tampa - i am so confused. You are basically a millionaire (assuming you have a healthy amount in retirement at 40) and you spent last night complaining you couldn’t get ahead.

Seth Meyers I Give Up GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Good on you - but what an absolute waste of time 🤣

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I got my house on a short sale. Took about 4 months for it close.

The day I signed the papers I walked into a house that was appraised for 40K more than I paid for it. I got super lucky.

Of course now it is appraised at about 150K over what I paid for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT