ADVERTISEMENT

Oline analysis

I hope Benhart comes back.

LT: Portal McPortalson (or Teddy P if we can't land a portal guy)
LG: Corcoran
C: Scott
RG: JEJ (or Piper if healthy)
RT: Benhart

While it seems nice to have experience on the OL, I think many fans (me included) are getting fatigued with the same guys. I don’t know if the new guys are better, but I would like to see fresh faces. Sledge, Gottula, and Knaak look the part so let’s see what they can do. I can see playing the older guys this year, especially with the “inexperienced “ OL coach. If he is replaced after this year, my guess is the new OL coach can bring the young guys up to speed quickly.

While it seems nice to have experience on the OL, I think many fans (me included) are getting fatigued with the same guys. I don’t know if the new guys are better, but I would like to see fresh faces. Sledge, Gottula, and Knaak look the part so let’s see what they can do. I can see playing the older guys this year, especially with the “inexperienced “ OL coach. If he is replaced after this year, my guess is the new OL coach can bring the young guys up to speed quickly.
I’m on board with Raiola. I listened to clowns on this board bitch about Barney for 5 years. There’s too many keyboard warriors that pretend to know how to coach O linemen. Everything I’ve read and heard from former Husker linemen think he’s doing a good job with the hand he’s been dealt.

I’m on board with Raiola. I listened to clowns on this board bitch about Barney for 5 years. There’s too many keyboard warriors that pretend to know how to coach O linemen. Everything I’ve read and heard from former Husker linemen think he’s doing a good job with the hand he’s been dealt.

Not sure you got the point of my post. It wasn’t about Raola because Rhule will decide if he is qualified enough to continue as OL coach. I was saying the potential lineup listed in that post gives me fatigue. We have seen most of them under 2 head coaches. I appreciate what the players have done because they are Huskers. I am just ready for a fresh start.

Reactions: king_kong_
Just rewatched the NW game. Which plays did we max protect with 7? Oh that’s right, we never did. Just more hyperbole.
The TD pass

TE protects and leaks out late

FB protects

2 man route, RB feints pitch

No hyperbole here, friend

You said “every play” which isn’t even remotely true. It was a play action pass off the belly option. That’s not “max protect”. Try again.
It is max protect (7 in pass protection) and that was just off the top of my head

Won’t be hard to find others

Willing to bet there were zero (0) times we only protected with 5 without the benefit of a rewatch

It’s absolutely necessary. Satt and Rhule know what they’re dealing with up front.

It is max protect (7 in pass protection) and that was just off the top of my head

Willing to bet there were zero (0) times we only protected with 5 without the benefit of a rewatch

It’s absolutely necessary. Satt and Rhule know what they’re dealing with up front.
the play was mimicking a running play. That’s not max projection. Again, you said “every play”. When we ran PA in college, we had every one make it look like a running play. The TE blocks on a running play as do the fullback & WR. After selling the fake, it becomes a pass. You fake the run to fool the defens, not max protect. When we ran max protect in college, it was a called pass play, never a play action. I’ll wait for you to find a single drop back passing play with max protection.

Reactions: dinglefritz
the play was mimicking a running play. That’s not max projection. Again, you said “every play”. When we ran PA in college, we had every one make it look like a running play. The TE blocks on a running play as do the fullback & WR. After selling the fake, it becomes a pass. You fake the run to fool the defens, not max protect. When we ran max protect in college, it was a called pass play, never a play action. I’ll wait for you to find a single drop back passing play with max protection.
drop in the link to the full game and I will.

TIA

Lol! Do it yourself. You are the one making the ridiculous claim and foolishly standing by it.
I'm looking

all I see is highlights

if you just rewatched surely you have the link handy?

thanks!

also - I was wrong about zero times pass protecting with just 5.

yes.

Dawkins went from zero star with 2 FBS offers to 2nd rounder under him and Rhule.

temple went from zero OL drafted since 2003 to 8 in the last 7 years.
Was he the recruiter for those players?

No, not Dion Dawkins. Dawkins was a Freshman at Temple in the 2013 season and Wiesehan didn’t join the Temple staff until the 2014 season. Wiesehan may have developed him but he didn’t recruit him.

We went open set (5 wide) and threw the ball several times.

Last edited:
I'm surprised they don't roll HH out more. Would reduce batted down passes, give him the scramble option, and I think dragging a TE or WR across with him would be killer.
I could be wrong in my thinking, but rollouts bring OL holding calls. Our OL isn't currently equipped for it, and our coaches are doing an amazing job of putting our players in the best situation to succeed without hurting themselves.

we're throwing 21 passes/game. only 4 teams in the country attempt fewer passes/game.

yet, we rank 107th in the nation in sack rate (8.59%).

Haarberg's got a long way to go with his accuracy. this crap OL is not helping.
I don't have data to back this up but I do have eyeballs to see. HH has far more time to throw than Casey even dreamed up. I got such a kick out of people saying CT should step up in the pocket or get rid of the ball when he was in his third step, back-pedaling on a 5 step drop and people were close enough to catch their mouthwash flavor. They were all over him so quickly he had zero time to even attempt to shift his body weight or get in a throwing position.

Last edited:
The TD pass

TE protects and leaks out late

FB protects

2 man route, RB feints pitch

No hyperbole here, friend
I would think since that play was to take one shot way down field that if you’re gonna max protect, it would be on that play.

I would think since that play was to take one shot way down field that if you’re gonna max protect, it would be on that play.
Max protect doesn't use run action. The FB never blocks anyone as he's faking a run. The TE is run blocking to fake out the D and then leaks out at the last second to be an outlet. There was no 'max protect' on that play.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I don't have data to back this up but I do have eyeballs to see. HH has far more time to throw than Casey even dreamed up. I got such a kick out of people saying CT should step up in the pocket or get rid of the ball when he was in his third step, back-pedaling on a 5 step drop and people were close enough to catch their mouthwash flavor. They were all over him so quickly he had zero time to even attempt to shift his body weight or get in a throwing position.
There is no doubt that our line has improved since Raiola took over. None. They still need to get better but I believe Raiola is doing about as much as he can with the guys he has and all the injuries.

We’re attempting 10 less passes per game and being sacked the same amount

Every unbiased quantitative measure says the line sucks as bad or worse than they did last year

Keeping with a statistical approach, the ypc in 2023=4.9 and in 2022 is was 3.5. Is this an unbiased quantitative measure?
Take the QB carries out then yes

QB runs give the offense an extra blocker

RB ypc is a more OL independent measure

Take the QB carries out then yes

QB runs give the offense an extra blocker

RB ypc is a more OL independent measure
Only if it's a QB "follow" (iso). We don't gain an extra blocker on the option or QB draw when we go with an empty set. Even with the QB follow, what set is it run out of? If it's a one-back set, it's no different than an I-formation ISO. What have been HH's biggest running plays this year?

Only if it's a QB "follow" (iso). We don't gain an extra blocker on the option or QB draw when we go with an empty set. Even with the QB follow, what set is it run out of? If it's a one-back set, it's no different than an I-formation ISO. What have been HH's biggest running plays this year?
QB runs out of any formation are 11 on 11 plays

Handoffs are 10 on 11

Not all 11 are involved in the play. We'll have to agree to disagree.
Yes they are. Even the split end on the wide side of the formation away from the play takes a defender with him when he lines up.

All 11 need to be accounted for by the defense on QB runs

On handoffs, only 10 need to be accounted for

The qb has something to do with that.
yea, that's what people said last year, too, with regards to a sack rate outside the national top 100.

plenty of variables, two constants (OL and OL coach), same result

And a Qb that won't throw the ball away. HH took sacks he just didn't need to.
I agree.

a quarterback playing his 6th career game should be perfect in every facet, from decision making to accuracy.

it's the Rhule process

retain the OL coach and micromanage him for a year then bring in someone he knows well

has done it at 100% of his college coaching gigs

why would we want to keep someone with zero experience who was hired by the worst coach in NU history?

nepotism donnie is the final piece of the frost purge. has to be done. there's no other way.

he'll go back to getting coffee for actual coaches and we'll be much better off with someone who knows what he's doing on the field and on the recruiting trail.
I wouldn't count on Raiola being let go. Right after the game Saturday Rhule was asked about Satterfield being up in the box for the first time this year. He said one of the reasons Sat felt he could be up in the box was because "Donnie" had a good handle on what was happening on the sideline. Rhule's history aside, I don't see him spending a lot of time building Raiola up if he plans on sacking him at the end of the season.

Nope.

He'll never be that. He does need to take care of the football, throw the ball away, and not take unnecessary hits.

All of that is up to him, not the oline or the oline coach.
yep.

the QB playing his 6th game cannot afford a bad decision.

perfect is the expectation.

I wouldn't count on Raiola being let go. Right after the game Saturday Rhule was asked about Satterfield being up in the box for the first time this year. He said one of the reasons Sat felt he could be up in the box was because "Donnie" had a good handle on what was happening on the sideline. Rhule's history aside, I don't see him spending a lot of time building Raiola up if he plans on sacking him at the end of the season.
Rhule spends a lot of time buttering up people who we never see contribute again after his comments.

Then you must be very disappointed.
of course, it's not my expectation.

a C1 quarterback who was 6th on the depth chart leading us on a 5-1 stretch is far beyond my wildest imagination for Haarberg getting his first playing time in 3 years and making that jump in competition.

because I live in reality.

which also leads me to point to our highly experienced OL playing substandard, disorganized football for the 2nd straight year as a let down.

of course, it's not my expectation.

a C1 quarterback who was 6th on the depth chart leading us on a 5-1 stretch is far beyond my wildest imagination for Haarberg getting his first playing time in 3 years and making that jump in competition.

because I live in reality.

which also leads me to point to our highly experienced OL playing substandard, disorganized football for the 2nd straight year as a let down.
Your last paragraph puts into perspective very much that your reality isn't actual reality.

Reactions: BleedRed78
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT