ADVERTISEMENT

Oline depth

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
Per the lastest Husker Online podcast, Sean Callahan mentioned 7 guys ready to play on the Oline. The thinking at present is that the first five at this point in time are Teddy, Piper, Scott, Nouili and Benhart, with Corcoran as a guy who can play any position and Lutovsky as a IOL reserve. Interesting that Corcoran is not viewed as a starter at this time. Also said Lutovsky looks pretty trim.
In the looks awesome coming off the bus news, apparently Niles Paul saw Fidone on the field at a camp or clinic, didn't know who he was , but thought he might be an NFL player.

Per the lastest Husker Online podcast, Sean Callahan mentioned 7 guys ready to play on the Oline. The thinking at present is that the first five at this point in time are Teddy, Piper, Scott, Nouili and Benhart, with Corcoran as a guy who can play any position and Lutovsky as a IOL reserve. Interesting that Corcoran is not viewed as a starter at this time. Also said Lutovsky looks pretty trim.
In the looks awesome coming off the bus news, apparently Niles Paul saw Fidone on the field at a camp or clinic, didn't know who he was , but thought he might be an NFL player.
Let's hope that Fidone's knees hold up and he gives us another playmaking TE.

🌽

My guess is that there will be more than 7 guys start on the O line for us this fall and who the starters some project right now might not be the same guys come October.

I always felt Turner has been underwhelming but surprised if he can't start over Benhart...Lutovsky looks the part and has a mean streak. I hope he gets some chances this year.

🤞🏼my fingers Fidone has a break through season..
Also Benhart needs to improve dramatically after the last two seasons of disappointment.
I have watched Benhart get beat so often at the point of attack that I will remain skeptical that he is going to be greatly improved until I actually see it. He seems slow which may have been a product of overthinking and indecision. Time will tell...

I have watched Benhart get beat so often at the point of attack that I will remain skeptical that he is going to be greatly improved until I actually see it. He seems slow which may have been a product of overthinking and indecision. Time will tell...
I think the biggest difference you will see on the offensive line is flexibility, as in the ability to touch your toes, not the ability to play multiple people at multiple positions. I think our guys were very stiff the last few years

I think the biggest difference you will see on the offensive line is flexibility, as in the ability to touch your toes, not the ability to play multiple people at multiple positions. I think our guys were very stiff the last few years
They certainly appeared that way to my untrained eye. I am cautiously optimistic they will be better this year.

I always felt Turner has been underwhelming but surprised if he can't start over Benhart...Lutovsky looks the part and has a mean streak. I hope he gets some chances this year.

I think he’s always been better suited at OG. I bet he starts at OG over Piper or Nouili, but who knows.

Corc backing up both OT’s, Luto backing up both OG’s and Piper backing up at Center does look solid on paper though.

I predict Fidone is going to be a beast this year. At least 2nd team big 10.

I wonder if Nuoli only looked good because he was juicing.
I have high hopes for Nouelli. He is relatively inexperienced compared to most players and seems to have a mean streak on the field. I'm sure he is plenty motivated to not let that suspension cost him his starting spot.

Reactions: salsa red
As much as Benhart has been the the boards willing boy for all the OL’s problems the last couple years, he was still considerably better than Corcoran, Anthony or anyone else we trotted out there at OT last year.

"...7 guys ready to play on the Oline."
🤣

How many times have we heard that over these past many years and from numerous head coaches?

I sincerely hope this year is the beginning of something better than what we've witnessed.

Rhule likes Benhart. He projected better as a recruit than he has played. And I could be wrong, but he seemed to play better earlier in his career at NU. It’s possible his training and physical development was not a fit for him as an athlete.
Can they lengthen his T-Rex arms in the off-season?

• Haha
Reactions: huntered
"...7 guys ready to play on the Oline."
🤣

How many times have we heard that over these past many years and from numerous head coaches?

I sincerely hope this year is the beginning of something better than what we've witnessed.
Last two years we lost Teddy early in the season and Nouili had to seat out last year, Piper has potential and Scott is added plus at center..

Staying healthy been our Achilles heel

Last edited:
As much as Benhart has been the the boards willing boy for all the OL’s problems the last couple years, he was still considerably better than Corcoran, Anthony or anyone else we trotted out there at OT last year.
probably right. he is just so easy to pick out

I think Benharts biggest problem is confidence. Think that’s why he’s getting so much hype from staff, to try to rise his confidence. We’ve seen it a lot.

the fact that his best looking football @ NU was 2020 when he wasn’t playing in front of fans kind of leads me to believe he gets to worked up playing in front of 86k people. It’s really hard to teach how to fix that. Lots of excellent football players never show out because of it. But playing in front of fans is part of the game and you either figure it out or don’t

Reactions: BleedRed78
I’d guess Scott & Nouili are the two closest to having starting jobs right now. Teddy is really an unknown due to health issues and my head tells me don’t count on him staying healthy at this point. Definitely hope I’m wrong but that

And people saying you don’t hear much about Nouili except he’s in the 7 kind of is a good thing to me. Coaches sometimes don’t give their “ayta boys” to the guys that playing good ball because coaches want them to keep pushing even better.

I think the coaches like a shorter interior line then what we’ve seen lately. Which is a big relief to me only because it makes it easier for QBs to see over their line. For a while our old staff really only liked recruiting Tackles and then trying to field the best 5. I like the philosophy that if you can build your interior 6’5 and under, it will help passing lanes. Can’t just do it to do it though. Have to have the dudes to do it.

I think Benharts biggest problem is confidence. Think that’s why he’s getting so much hype from staff, to try to rise his confidence. We’ve seen it a lot.

the fact that his best looking football @ NU was 2020 when he wasn’t playing in front of fans kind of leads me to believe he gets to worked up playing in front of 86k people. It’s really hard to teach how to fix that. Lots of excellent football players never show out because of it. But playing in front of fans is part of the game and you either figure it out or don’t
This play. No one is going to do this unless they are deliberately tanking their team or they have been coached into stupidity. And no, not blaming Raiola. This shite is on Whipple.

Oline woes in past years have been blamed on youth and last year, it doesn't seem Whipple and Raiola were on the same page. These are no longer viable excuses. Teddy and Lutovsky are entering the third year, Corcoran fourth, with Piper, Benhart Scott, and Nouili entering their fifth year. It is a veteran line with Raiola, Rhule and Satterfield all singing off the same song sheet in terms of what needs to be accomplished and how the Oline should be coached. Pelini took at defense that was one of the worst in college football and in one season had the same players turning in a serviceable performance. and of course the next year the D was lights out. Can this oline be good (not great) against the weaker Ds and serviceable against better competition. I think our skill players are talented enough, they just need a chance to make plays.

just by the laws of nature we should have some guys that been hitting the f'n chow lines for years now that can move their feet and get in somebodies way

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT