ADVERTISEMENT

Oline analysis

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
Sharp seems to think that when (if?) Nouili comes back, NU may be featuring its strongest offensive line. Evans-Jenkins has played well (very well for his age), but the wild card is Teddy. Can Lutovsky do enough in the interim as a starter for the offense to competently operate. The three kids that will be replacing starters have already either started or have played a bit. They are not fresh out of the box.

Yes, but they were not the starters for a reason. I think Teddy is still not 100% or else he is not the same player he was before all of the knee injuries. The other guys are young and lack experience and physical development. Now Kemp is out too and we have nothing but inexperience at the receiver position and at running back. It is clear that the coaches are not very high on Grant and I agree with that assessment. Lateral runner who does not know how to hit a hole unless it is obvious, has no jump cut ability, and fumbles in key moments. We have a QB who is mediocre at best.

Unless all of these young players surprise me I am expecting our already anemic offense to be even more out of sync against Purdue. Our defense had better hold them to 7 points or less because I doubt our offense will score more than 10 or 13. We need the defense to get some turnovers as well.

Rhule will earn his salary this week. 7 guys starting on offense who were not starters at the beginning of the year. And our offensive line already stank. Hopefully, the new blood will be an improvement. But won't that take time? I expect some rough moments for the line this week against Purdue. Purdue stinks and we should beat them. But this will be tough.

Rhule is already impressing the shit out of me and earning his salary. 4-3 after taking over this program that was 100% flat lined? Beating mediocre B1G West teams that we have been embarrassed by for years? I love seeing the young guys getting meaningful reps all over the place. I'm already starting to think Emmett Johnson might be rounding into a nice back. Let's see some of these freshman WR's! Injuries suck but this is a year where we want to see tons of guys anyway.

I was surprised to see NW line up to stop our run game, specifically anything to the outside only to get away from it at times which we were able to take advantage of. When they were lined up to stop the run, our passing game should have been there all day, we just could not execute consistently.

If I were an opponent, I would load up to stop our running game. I am not sure we have the horses to overcome that nor the ability to get pounding without making a mistake. Who would be afraid to lock up on our WR's one on one all day long? I would not be.

Kong is talking about HH being 80% of our offene or some such number, go after him and slow him down then. If he is going to beat you, make him do it on your terms, not his.

Kong is talking about HH being 80% of our offene or some such number, go after him and slow him down then. If he is going to beat you, make him do it on your terms, not his.
since taking over as the starter, HH has accounted for 70% of our total yards

in 5 games, he's been our leading rusher in 3

Yes, but they were not the starters for a reason. I think Teddy is still not 100% or else he is not the same player he was before all of the knee injuries. The other guys are young and lack experience and physical development. Now Kemp is out too and we have nothing but inexperience at the receiver position and at running back. It is clear that the coaches are not very high on Grant and I agree with that assessment. Lateral runner who does not know how to hit a hole unless it is obvious, has no jump cut ability, and fumbles in key moments. We have a QB who is mediocre at best.

Unless all of these young players surprise me I am expecting our already anemic offense to be even more out of sync against Purdue. Our defense had better hold them to 7 points or less because I doubt our offense will score more than 10 or 13. We need the defense to get some turnovers as well.

Rhule will earn his salary this week. 7 guys starting on offense who were not starters at the beginning of the year. And our offensive line already stank. Hopefully, the new blood will be an improvement. But won't that take time? I expect some rough moments for the line this week against Purdue. Purdue stinks and we should beat them. But this will be tough.
The narrative on the O line stinking has been over blown. We are NEVER going to see ever again the kind of O lines we had with Boyd running the S&C program unless we quit testing for PEDs.

What? Nobody is screaming for Boyd lines. People are screaming for a power 5 line. We haven't seen that for years. They have to be better
don't mind DingleFauc

he is desperately attempting to will yet another abhorrent opinion (Raiola is good) into existence, just like he's been doing with our non-Haarberg QBs all season

guy honestly believes purdy should be playing, that your UCL is in your shoulder, kirk cousins > lamar jackson and the clot shot saved his life

nobody in the history of internet posting has ever been more wrong more often than him

sad part is he still actually thinks he's worth being taken seriously

What? Nobody is screaming for Boyd lines. People are screaming for a power 5 line. We haven't seen that for years. They have to be better
And Austin paid for that by losing his job. Reports on Raiola’s first O line recruiting class have been good but they’re babies. If he can get the patchwork group of youngsters through the next few weeks he should get a raise.

dont turn it over and we'll win by 2 scores. hh is a good runner and is careful. match that with a defense that's firing on 11 cyclinders and a decent special teams will be enough saturday. no need to try and reinvent the wheel with purdue. dog fight every week, that's how this team plays. i like it.
Yeah we can win with this offense if we take care of the ball. HH doesn’t need to be Vince Ferragamo. Gerry Gdowski or Jeff Quinn would be nice though.

Yeah we can win with this offense if we take care of the ball. HH doesn’t need to be Vince Ferragamo. Gerry Gdowski or Jeff Quinn would be nice though.
It would also be nice if he did not throw two awful interceptions in the first half of the first quarter within our 30. It would be nice too if he could actually see open receivers. He doesn’t need to be Ferragamo. But he also needs to stop imitating Sims.

Rhule is already impressing the shit out of me and earning his salary. 4-3 after taking over this program that was 100% flat lined? Beating mediocre B1G West teams that we have been embarrassed by for years? I love seeing the young guys getting meaningful reps all over the place. I'm already starting to think Emmett Johnson might be rounding into a nice back. Let's see some of these freshman WR's! Injuries suck but this is a year where we want to see tons of guys anyway.
Emmett is going to be fun to watch along side Kewan Lacey. The future is bright for sure. But we all knew this season was going to be a tough grind and just doing anything possible to churn out some wins. I’m happy with the results so far. I had very low expectations for the new staff given only 1 winning season the last 8 years. They’ve done a great job IMO.

The narrative on the O line stinking has been over blown. We are NEVER going to see ever again the kind of O lines we had with Boyd running the S&C program unless we quit testing for PEDs.
Who said anything about expecting that kind of dominance? Competence would be nice. Not getting run-stuffed by awful defenses. Our line is clearly below average in all metrics. And now it is decimated by injuries. Yikes. Combine that with a QB who is very inconsistent and inexperience at WR and RB, and you have a recipe for a lousy offense. Defense gonna have to score points and get turnovers.

What if they end up being more athletic than the upperclassmen? I think there is still this belief around here that upperclassmen are inherently better than younger players. I know line play is a completely different animal than playing a skill position, but I’m trying to remain optimistic. This team is still well within reach of a bowl bid, shame to let that goal slip away because of injuries.

Reactions: BleedRed78
It would also be nice if he did not throw two awful interceptions in the first half of the first quarter within our 30. It would be nice too if he could actually see open receivers. He doesn’t need to be Ferragamo. But he also needs to stop imitating Sims.
It’s why I keep thinking one of our backups who have similar athletic ability but have played more college football might deserve another shot. I didn’t call for HH to be benched but it sure crossed my mind last weekend. He looked like a true freshman backup at times who got run out because of an in game injury to the starter.

Who said anything about expecting that kind of dominance? Competence would be nice. Not getting run-stuffed by awful defenses. Our line is clearly below average in all metrics. And now it is decimated by injuries. Yikes. Combine that with a QB who is very inconsistent and inexperience at WR and RB, and you have a recipe for a lousy offense. Defense gonna have to score points and get turnovers.
Other teams have P5 players and Illinois for instance has 2 D linemen that Lovie recruited who everybody says are going to play in the NFL. NW schemed to stop our run game and that’s why we were seeing so many open receivers down the middle of the field. We have to pose a pass threat and if we don’t we’re going to continue to get stuffed on a lot of run plays.

It’s why I keep thinking one of our backups who have similar athletic ability but have played more college football might deserve another shot. I didn’t call for HH to be benched but it sure crossed my mind last weekend. He looked like a true freshman backup at times who got run out because of an in game injury to the starter.
Purdy has played less college football snaps than HH at this point, so there goes the “experience” argument.

Our offensive line is atrocious

Can’t wait to have someone with coaching and recruiting bonafides take that group over this winter

Glorified interns with famous nephews don’t cut it at this level
Who do you want to replace him?

Nice resume (at least better that Riolas) can he recruit?
yes.

certainly can recruit better than a guy who'd never recruited a day in his life prior to coming to NU like nepo donnie.

In his four seasons at Temple, he has sent eight players to the NFL, including 2017 second round pick, Dion Dawkins.

Dawkins still the Bills' starting LT, recently signed a $60M contract

Last edited:
Reactions: SomedayHusker
yes.

certainly can recruit better than a guy who'd never recruited a day in his life prior to coming to NU like nepo donnie.

In his four seasons at Temple, he has sent eight players to the NFL, including 2017 second round pick, Dion Dawkins.

Dawkins still the Bills' starting LT, recently signed a $60M contract
Was he the recruiter for those players?

I was surprised to see NW line up to stop our run game, specifically anything to the outside only to get away from it at times which we were able to take advantage of. When they were lined up to stop the run, our passing game should have been there all day, we just could not execute consistently.

If I were an opponent, I would load up to stop our running game. I am not sure we have the horses to overcome that nor the ability to get pounding without making a mistake. Who would be afraid to lock up on our WR's one on one all day long? I would not be.

HH needs to pitch the ball on those option sweeps. There was a play last Saturday where he was stopped for a short loss when the trailing Johnson would have made 3 yards. Not much, but it gets the defenders to think a little bit. If I were playing HH on option plays, I would always go right at him because he rarely gives up the ball. I don't know if he lacks vision, does not trust his ability to pitch the ball or if he doesn't trust the runner.

HH needs to pitch the ball on those option sweeps. There was a play last Saturday where he was stopped for a short loss when the trailing Johnson would have made 3 yards. Not much, but it gets the defenders to think a little bit. If I were playing HH on option plays, I would always go right at him because he rarely gives up the ball. I don't know if he lacks vision, does not trust his ability to pitch the ball or if he doesn't trust the runner.
I don't believe HH ran much if any option prior to getting here. certainly none under center.

same with the backs with regard to that pitch relationship.

takes tens of thousands of reps to get that to be 2nd nature.

Sharp seems to think that when (if?) Nouili comes back, NU may be featuring its strongest offensive line. Evans-Jenkins has played well (very well for his age), but the wild card is Teddy. Can Lutovsky do enough in the interim as a starter for the offense to competently operate. The three kids that will be replacing starters have already either started or have played a bit. They are not fresh out of the box.

Teddy scares me to death. Yeah I heard what Rhule said but I know what I seen too lol.

Holla

Reactions: headcard

Wouldn't shock me a bit if Jenkins is an upgrade. Lutovsky might be as good also.

Holla

Purdy has played less college football snaps than HH at this point, so there goes the “experience” argument.
And then there goes your argument that Purdy could never improve. I’ve posted multiple times and you agreed that Heinrich not only could but should improve. You can’t have it both ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: tjlSker90
And then there goes your argument that Purdy could never improve. I’ve posted multiple times and you agreed that Heinrich not only could but should improve. OU can’t have it both ways.
I have never argued that purdy could improve and never will

he has no arm and no additional physical attributes or mental fortitude required for improvement

Haarberg has physical tools and mental toughness in spades. those things are the foundation upon which improvement takes place.

I disagree. I have no doubt that KK is bipolar.
Perfect response when you can't debate him on actual facts. I love how all you dorks just assume that Rhule is a dumbass and is refusing to play someone that has more potential than Haarberg. I simply don't believe that. Rhule has seen what he needs to see and is playing Haarberg. End of story. Either that or you just want Kong to be wrong so bad you can taste it.

Perfect response when you can't debate him on actual facts. I love how all you dorks just assume that Rhule is a dumbass and is refusing to play someone that has more potential than Haarberg. I simply don't believe that. Rhule has seen what he needs to see and is playing Haarberg. End of story. Either that or you just want Kong to be wrong so bad you can taste it.

comforting-lies-vs-unpleasant-truths-640x480.jpeg

I have never argued that purdy could improve and never will

he has no arm and no additional physical attributes or mental fortitude required for improvement

Haarberg has physical tools and mental toughness in spades. those things are the foundation upon which improvement takes place.

Yep. Summed it up well:

Can he run (Biggest trait we need right now) - Hell NO!
Good Arm that is Accurate - Hell NO!
Other intangibles - Hell NO! The exact opposite

Purdy should never see the field ever. Nebraska should play the 2 QB's below him before they every played that guy. He has a wet noodle arm and has the deer in headlights look when he is on the field. Seems like a good kid, but not a D1 football player

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT