ADVERTISEMENT

Olbermann out @ ESPN, again.

litespeedhuskerfan

Nebraska Legend
Aug 27, 2006
That guy has to be one crazy SOB. Cannot imagine how much fun it would be to have dinner and drinks with that guy some evening when he was in the mood to talk about his career.

Interesting, that's about the complete opposite impression I have of him.
I think many dislike him for his liberal point of view, which shouldn't impact someone's impression on someone's sports commentary, but clearly it does. And to that, Keith only has himself to blame. Musicians, actors and other celebrities of course can speak up on political matters if they want, and they often times do, because their celebrity gives them a platform to influence a large audience. But that same platform can backfire when you alienate a large portion of the population.

If I was advising Mr. Olbermann or any other celebrity for that matter, I'd say to keep your political opinions to yourself. Now in Olbermann's case, he made a career out of expressing his political perspectives so it would be a bit harder to avoid.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/07/keith-olbermann-espn-exit-2015-james-andrew-miller

Sucks..I dvr his show everyday ...His sports show on ESPN has zero political commentaries and I felt was very good. MSNBC round two or Vice would make the most sense for him to land...ESPN is essentially the NFL's bitch here for sure....They were being pressured to end their relationship with KO due to his spot on commentaries about Goodell and the hypocrisy of his league. Its a big reason why the Monday night schedule is so weak on ESPN.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Olbermann seems like a guy who goes out of his way to cause trouble at his place of employment, wherever that is. He's not asking for my sympathy and I'm not giving him any, but it looks like, from this distance anyway, he brings all of this stuff on himself and enjoys stirring the pot with his superiors.

Olbermann seems like a guy who goes out of his way to cause trouble at his place of employment, wherever that is. He's not asking for my sympathy and I'm not giving him any, but it looks like, from this distance anyway, he brings all of this stuff on himself and enjoys stirring the pot with his superiors.
I agree with that, and in his case, he can't really say that he hasn't succeeded. He certainly has a nice bank account, so I guess in the end, he gets to stir the pot and still has money to show for it.

I don't mind the guy. He's smart (and that intimidates some people), can add commentary that looks like it's coming off the top of his head and digs deeper into stories vs. just the light skim at the top. He's talented and will land somewhere else I'm sure.

I think many dislike him for his liberal point of view, which shouldn't impact someone's impression on someone's sports commentary, but clearly it does. And to that, Keith only has himself to blame. Musicians, actors and other celebrities of course can speak up on political matters if they want, and they often times do, because their celebrity gives them a platform to influence a large audience. But that same platform can backfire when you alienate a large portion of the population.

If I was advising Mr. Olbermann or any other celebrity for that matter, I'd say to keep your political opinions to yourself. Now in Olbermann's case, he made a career out of expressing his political perspectives so it would be a bit harder to avoid.

yep -- the dixie chicks pretty much committed career suicide when one of them went off on "W" while on stage --- shocking that that message didn't go over well to a country music audience

He's a commentator/opinion guy that often comes off as just angry. That is his "thing"...that's what he is/does, and that's the niche he created for himself. I liken him to what ESPN tried to do w/ Rush Limbaugh several years ago. Those guys can't divorce sports from politics/social commentary (their prior/other career), and that bites ESPN in the rear. What ESPN is evidently saying is that ESPN isn't the place for his "thing".

That guy has to be one crazy SOB. Cannot imagine how much fun it would be to have dinner and drinks with that guy some evening when he was in the mood to talk about his career.

Yep. While I don't always agree with his political side, his sports knowledge is vast and he has to have some great stories about all the pot stirring he's accomplished. Would be an entertaining evening for sure!

He's a commentator/opinion guy that often comes off as just angry. That is his "thing"...that's what he is/does, and that's the niche he created for himself. I liken him to what ESPN tried to do w/ Rush Limbaugh several years ago. Those guys can't divorce sports from politics/social commentary (their prior/other career), and that bites ESPN in the rear. What ESPN is evidently saying is that ESPN isn't the place for his "thing".
Olberman was sports long before he was in politics. He and Dan Patrick made sports center popular

Olberman was sports long before he was in politics. He and Dan Patrick made sports center popular

Yes, but he was popular because he was different and sprinkled in his humor and commentary during highlights when few had done that before.

ESPN is leaking viewership (6 million homes since 2011). Millennials are watching programs online moreso. In this environment, Keith would have to be considered a luxury item as far as ESPN is concerned.
Keith has a pile of 25 million clams, per celebrity net worth. He has done radio as well as TV. I am not a hard core sports nerd, but if I was, I would listen to Keith do his sports thing on a podcast. I agree with his politics, but I don't watch much political TV anymore. But I guess I would listen to Keith do his political schtick on a podcast. He doesn't really need to work at this point, but he has a variety of options to keep himself busy.

typical democrat fascist, there is nothing liberal about him, not open for honest debate or freedom, but just another democrat fascist.

ESPN losing that many viewers in a year isn't great news for the Big 10 Conference heading into a negotiations for a new television contract in a couple of years...hmm.

ESPN is letting loose of talent and other expenses. The amount of money they spend on buying product is finally catching up and the Mouse doesn't like to lose money

Total whacko with famous anger management problems. He does know his sports. Outside of sports, he appeals to a fringe audience ala Michael Savage on the right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT