ADVERTISEMENT

Some Thoughts from a Friend from the West . . .

BuffaLaw8487

Nov 15, 2004
. . . I used to post here quite a bit back in the day. Back when, I dunno, CU Football kinda mattered and it was fun to interact with other CFB fans . Even made some friends and clients here. But the conference blew up, NU chose wisely, CU did not, CU began sucking . . . ugh. I found other places to hang beyond CFB message boards. As a CU season ticket holder, I still went to the games, but it was more out of sense of loyalty than anything else. It was grim. Very, very grim. Now we have a little daylight. To be honest, NIL, the Portal and realignment has kinda dulled my once rabid enthusiasm for CFB, but damn if it still isn't the best show on earth when the games actually count.

All this to say I am looking forward to Saturday. Unlike some CU followers (including a legion of Prime-following newbies who couldn't find Colorado or Nebraska on a map 10 months ago - all are welcome I guess), I expect a complete and utter dogfight. And if NU needed any extra motivation, watching the Deion Sanders hype machine turned to 15 over the last few days has got to help. If I was you guys, I'd be pretty sick of it. I've watched every CU/NU game at Folsom (and one in Lincoln) since 1984. The only thing those games had in common since then was their sheer unpredictability.

At 62, I'm far beyond puerile name calling and internet trolling of opposing boards. So, no predictions but I will say this: it will be very cool to see Colorado/Nebraska at center stage for a change. Perhaps not for the reasons Nebraska fans want. I get it. But it will be fun. I'm hoping for the best, but Rhule can coach and I'm sure his guys will be ready. And if there is a game on the schedule that NU would love to get, it's this one - for a ton of reasons beyond the usual.

I'd be happy to answer questions about what's happening over here. It's completely nuts.

Last edited:
Well written/spoken. Im pumped for this game. Honestly more so because of Prime than Colorado, but it's going to be fun non the less.

Reactions: ssmill777
Yeah I'm over the hype, talk, chatter already but it's better than not getting any. Back in the day I'd yamn when it came to all the hype about the Buffs and their passing game. What you saw of Nebraska last two times is what they are , and we cannot seem to find a answer. You will see a real Defense Sat as we will see a real Offense. I have never liked Sanders and wouldn't want him as our coach, but that was a impressive win. ( TCU had no D ). I don't think beating Nebraska is impressive at all but the media will probably put you in the top 10 after it. Enjoy that Rocky Mountain high while you can because he's gone in a few years . Hopefully we can still play against you more than less .

What do you call 100 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A good start! Hahaha

Yeah I'm over the hype, talk, chatter already but it's better than not getting any. Back in the day I'd yamn when it came to all the hype about the Buffs and their passing game. What you saw of Nebraska last two times is what they are , and we cannot seem to find a answer. You will see a real Defense Sat as we will see a real Offense. I have never liked Sanders and wouldn't want him as our coach, but that was a impressive win. ( TCU had no D ). I don't think beating Nebraska is impressive at all but the media will probably put you in the top 10 after it. Enjoy that Rocky Mountain high while you can because he's gone in a few years . Hopefully we can still play against you more than less .
CU wants to keep playing us

hopefully Trev feels the same way

CU wants to keep playing us

hopefully Trev feels the same way

For me I really don't care if we play CU. I think we are at the KSU point. Schedule as many creampuffs as you can to get a little momentum in the wins column. See where that takes us from there. Not that CU wasn't in that category before Dion.

. . . I used to post here quite a bit back in the day. Back when, I dunno, CU Football kinda mattered and it was fun to interact with other CFB fans . Even made some friends and clients here. But the conference blew up, NU chose wisely, CU did not, CU began sucking . . . ugh. I found other places to hang beyond CFB message boards. As a CU season ticket holder, I still went to the games, but it was more out of sense of loyalty than anything else. It was grim. Very, very grim. Now we have a little daylight. To be honest, NIL, the Portal and realignment has kinda dulled my once rabid enthusiasm for CFB, but damn if it still isn't the best show on earth when the games actually count.

All this to say I am looking forward to Saturday. Unlike some CU followers (including a legion Prime-following newbies who couldn't find Colorado or Nebraska on a map 10 months ago - all are welcome I guess), I expect a complete and utter dogfight. And if NU needed any extra motivation, watching the Deion Sanders hype machine turned to 15 over the last few days has got to help. If I was you guys, I'd be pretty sick of it. I've watched every CU/NU game at Folsom (and one in Lincoln) since 1984. The only thing those games had in common since then was their sheer unpredictability.

At 62, I'm far beyond puerile name calling and internet trolling of opposing boards. So, no predictions but I will say this: it will be very cool to see Colorado/Nebraska at center stage for a change. Perhaps not for the reasons Nebraska fans want. I get it. But it will be fun. I'm hoping for the best, but Rhule can coach and I'm sure his guys will be ready. And if there is a game on the schedule that NU would love to get, it's this one - for a ton of reasons beyond the usual.

I'd be happy to answer questions about what's happening over here. It's completely nuts.
Thanks for a great post. I hope this game is a great one and I hope we play each other in the future as well. In fact, I would love to see us have a nonconference line-up that plays teams like this:
CU
KU
KSU
Iowa State
OU
Oklahoma State

See a common denominator? I did not put Missouri on that list. Screw them.

All this to say I am looking forward to Saturday. Unlike some CU followers (including a legion Prime-following newbies who couldn't find Colorado or Nebraska on a map 10 months ago - all are welcome I guess), I expect a complete and utter dogfight. And if NU needed any extra motivation, watching the Deion Sanders hype machine turned to 15 over the last few days has got to help. If I was you guys, I'd be pretty sick of it. I've watched every CU/NU game at Folsom (and one in Lincoln) since 1984. The only thing those games had in common since then was their sheer unpredictability.

Neither one of our teams have mattered in so long that this is a refreshing change to the CFB landscape... Will be nice for the primary attention this weekend to be on the middle of the country again...

I'd like to think that the fact that both NU & CU are rebuilding at the same time with high value coaches and with this kind of exposure playing each other can only help each other in the long run with recruiting and bringing some semblance of prominence back to our states...

Reactions: BuffaLaw8487
Thanks for a great post. I hope this game is a great one and I hope we play each other in the future as well. In fact, I would love to see us have a nonconference line-up that plays teams like this:
CU
KU
KSU
Iowa State
OU
Oklahoma State

I'd love to play any of our old Big 8 conference members, except CU.

CU
KU
KSU
Iowa State
OU
Oklahoma State

My first Nebraska game my father took me to was the 1968 Missouri game..
And remember being at the game in the OVT win in 1997, so I prefer to play Missouri over Iowa St, Kansas, Okie State or KSu..

Reactions: king_kong_
as long as fans remember what "a big eight hit" is we should play one of our old opponents each year. watched a half hour klatt tv interview of prime last night and came away with a different opinion of sanders. beware of the media narrative to create viewership.
think we will have to play mistake free football to win a close one. hunter is out of site.

as long as fans remember what "a big eight hit" is we should play one of our old opponents each year. watched a half hour klatt tv interview of prime last night and came away with a different opinion of sanders. beware of the media narrative to create viewership.
think we will have to play mistake free football to win a close one. hunter is out of site.
how did your opinion change? genuinely curious

College football was much more fun with these types of rivalry games, supervillains and the whole "good vs evil" atmosphere.

Our team isn't good enough to fill the "good vs evil" narrative on Saturday, but this one definitely feels different.

Don't even think about looking at my grass.

🌽

College football was much more fun with these types of rivalry games, supervillains and the whole "good vs evil" atmosphere.

Our team isn't good enough to fill the "good vs evil" narrative on Saturday, but this one definitely feels different.

Don't even think about looking at my grass.

🌽
This is true.

I was at NU in the mid 90's and it felt "different" when we played CU, especially at home.

Problem is that thanks to the playoffs, simply winning your conference and going to a New Years Day Bowl game isn't enough anymore.

It's all about the playoffs and making sure you get a seat - which means playing a bunch of cupcakes early in the year to make sure your record is unsullied before the conference games start. Which also means you get Week 1 like last week - the "national powers" played a series of directional schools, blowouts were the rule and the games sucked . . . except for a couple.

I was much happier with old system: win your conference, play in a NYD Bowl and if the voters have to sort it out, so be it. But I'm in the minority.

Which is why Saturday is gonna be great. If CU and NU want to tee it up every year, awesome. But if either school wants to play the "long game" and avoid unnecessary tough games early, I get that too.

how did your opinion change? genuinely curious
discipline, winning now, and a christian love for his responsibilities. a flamboyant personality with old school values. not some radical, woke joke. a stone cold seriousness about what he is trying to do and absolutely demands the same approach from his players. that's the best i can do right now. would have him over for supper any time.

discipline, winning now, and a christian love for his responsibilities. a flamboyant personality with old school values. not some radical, woke joke. a stone cold seriousness about what he is trying to do and absolutely demands the same approach from his players. that's the best i can do right now. would have him over for supper any time.
He’s also said many times that he didn’t want to get into coaching but it was a calling

All this to say I am looking forward to Saturday. Unlike some CU followers (including a legion of Prime-following newbies who couldn't find Colorado or Nebraska on a map 10 months ago - all are welcome I guess), I expect a complete and utter dogfight. And if NU needed any extra motivation, watching the Deion Sanders hype machine turned to 15 over the last few days has got to help. If I was you guys, I'd be pretty sick of it. I've watched every CU/NU game at Folsom (and one in Lincoln) since 1984. The only thing those games had in common since then was their sheer unpredictability.

As a Husker fan living in CO (and I was a Buff fan as a kid and my son’s first college game was in Boulder against Mizzou) it’s looking like Prime is the real deal and everybody I know is super pumped. Still early, but if the first game is any indication of how the season goes, things are looking very promising for CU. Love to see the two teams playing again, I just wish a lot of the Buff fans could be more civil and stop with the hate crap already— I can’t subject myself to going to Folsom Field anymore. Good luck on Saturday.

For me I really don't care if we play CU. I think we are at the KSU point. Schedule as many creampuffs as you can to get a little momentum in the wins column. See where that takes us from there. Not that CU wasn't in that category before Dion.
KSU would beat us nowadays.

KSU would beat us nowadays.
Yeah. Probably but doesn't change the fact that for me, CU is in the same boat as far a rivals go.

I should hate KSU, as their rise from obscurity was perhaps the impetus to our fall from grace! Husker fans just couldn't come to terms with the possibility that KSU had perhaps risen to the level that they could compete with NU. Had to be someones fault! Couldn't possibly be Wildcat Power!

Yeah. Probably but doesn't change the fact that for me, CU is in the same boat as far a rivals go.

I should hate KSU, as their rise from obscurity was perhaps the impetus to our fall from grace! Husker fans just couldn't come to terms with the possibility that KSU had perhaps risen to the level that they could compete with NU. Had to be someones fault! Couldn't possibly be Wildcat

I don't hate em. They have earned it. Good coach that created a identity and has em playing tough , smart ball. We should espire to be such.

Lot of people judged that book by the cover…if you know what I mean. I kinda feel sorry for them.

Problem is that thanks to the playoffs, simply winning your conference and going to a New Years Day Bowl game isn't enough anymore.

It's all about the playoffs and making sure you get a seat - which means playing a bunch of cupcakes early in the year to make sure your record is unsullied before the conference games start. Which also means you get Week 1 like last week - the "national powers" played a series of directional schools, blowouts were the rule and the games sucked . . . except for a couple.

I was much happier with old system: win your conference, play in a NYD Bowl and if the voters have to sort it out, so be it. But I'm in the minority.

Which is why Saturday is gonna be great. If CU and NU want to tee it up every year, awesome. But if either school wants to play the "long game" and avoid unnecessary tough games early, I get that too.
I am a Missouri fan....boo hiss...you hate Missouri. I don't blame you, I hate Nebraska. I hated all of the old Big 8 teams. You should hate Missouri. That is what made it so much better.

But I really loved all of those teams as well.

You and I think the same. Maybe it is because I pull for a team that has little to no chance of ever getting to the playoffs...but I don't think that is the reason. I just recall the excitement of playing the next opponent who we were familiar with and hated. That is what made college football better than Sunday football. Now it is all the same.

For half of my life before 2003 I watched my team lose to Nebraska. But 2003 was the greatest feeling. The agony of all of those years was worth it. Will never be like that again.

I like the mythical national champion because what was most important was the next game whether it be Nebraska, Colorado, or some other Big 8 opponent.

I will be watching Saturday not because of Deion...but because I remember when watching Nebraska and Colorado meant something to all of us who were fans of Big 8 schools.

I wish you could play to a tie and both fan bases would be disappointed.

The continued use of the race card whether by fans or coach Sanders, usually by broken self hating white folks, is a pussy ass move and diminishes the hard work and accomplishments of even Deion himself, not to mention all the folks of whatever color who came before and after him.
It makes you look like a joke, and TBH an enormous F'n pussified bitch.
I get to have my opinions of Deion, regardless of you fheads liking it or not. And no amount of DAS RAYCYS is EVER going to influence my OPINION on Fing Deion Sanders.
His accomplishments(and lack-of) speak for themselves.
He gets to own all of them and as a public figure who PUTS HIMSELF into the spotlight time and time again, is absolutely open to all criticism along with the accolades.
This continued OMG all these boomers here are secretly racist makes you look like a F'n crybaby back bitch.

Reactions: MelWest

I’d like to know your thoughts on Prime and his progress , or possibly lack there of, at this stage of his tenure at CU?

Reactions: king_kong_
How about now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT