ADVERTISEMENT

OL Changes Coming?

That's an off season solution. They need to fix it now or there won't be a "next season" for Frost.
I know dingle. I said that its an off season event. Maybe instead of spending al his time hunting and fishing and messing around in the summer, he could have been proactive. But his ego always gets in his way.

My suspicion is that Frost full well knows it's his O line coach's problem and not a problem with not having enough talent to work with. Regardless of how some on this board feel about Frost, he's not an idiot. He can see the same mistakes repeated over and over on game video. He understands completely that his success and failure this year hinge on his O line and his kickers. Martinez while not perfect has been good enough. Hell IMO he outplayed Rattler.
Not that it's important, but I've known Scott, Larry ( deceased as we know), Steve and Carol since Scott was in high school. I know he's a really smart guy, just not as smart as he thinks he is.

My suspicion is that Frost full well knows it's his O line coach's problem and not a problem with not having enough talent to work with. Regardless of how some on this board feel about Frost, he's not an idiot. He can see the same mistakes repeated over and over on game video. He understands completely that his success and failure this year hinge on his O line and his kickers. Martinez while not perfect has been good enough. Hell IMO he outplayed Rattler.
Okay, if he realizes it, then do something about it. If a guy is obviously failing at his job, get rid of that person. I see absolutely no reason why you'd keep around a guy who sucks at his job. That's a huge drain on trying to build a winning culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
37 games into his regime SF decides to get involved with the OL?

In the event SF lacks the expertise to improve the OL (and I doubt he does), and assuming Austin doesn't have what it takes to elevate the OL, then SF needs to get off his high horse and ask someone (with expertise) for help.

TO or Bobby Bowden or other top coaches always went to other schools to look at or learn new ways to do things that would improve their squad. If its good enough for 2 of the better HC's in the last portions of the 90's, it should be good enough now. Yes, I know this is an off season event.
Frost needs to ask Trev to open up the pocket book to allow Scott to hire the best line coach we can get. Hell throw co-oc in. I mean, isn’t Austin running game coordinator? That alone should get his ass fired

Reactions: headcard
Okay, if he realizes it, then do something about it. If a guy is obviously failing at his job, get rid of that person. I see absolutely no reason why you'd keep around a guy who sucks at his job. That's a huge drain on trying to build a winning culture.
I suspect Austin is gone at the end of the year. I don't think there's any way they can bring in somebody else to coach the O line for the rest of the season if they can Austin now. There isn't anybody else on staff who has coached from the tackle in before. We're stuck with the situation for now. FWIW. Tom did the same thing with his assistants during the season. If he had somebody who was failing, he worked with them to try to make it work and if it became obvious after a couple of years that the guy wasn't ever going to get it done, he replaced him during the off season. Tom kept some guys on for years before he gave up on them and moved on.

Is it common to have a different coach for tackles and interior line? With all the talk of lines having to "gel" to work well it seems counter intuitive.

I know dingle. I said that its an off season event. Maybe instead of spending al his time hunting and fishing and messing around in the summer, he could have been proactive. But his ego always gets in his way.
I'm not sure he fully recognized the problem before this year. I suspect he wrote some of the issues off as first a "new system" and then "youth" much the same as many of us. Now he's got guys who are 3 years in the system in some cases and they're still struggling to execute their responsibilities. Clearly outside eyes have recognized a problem as the quotes from Alberts pointed out. No doubt Stai who is on our AD staff now, has had conversations with Trev about what he sees. I don't believe this is a problem with the offense that isn't fixable but it might not happen with Austin as the coach. It will be interesting to see how this all goes down over the next 2 months. At the very least I expect we'll have a new O line coach next year if Frost is retained.

Is it common to have a different coach for tackles and interior line? With all the talk of lines having to "gel" to work well it seems counter intuitive.

I don't think it is all that common. But TO did it with Milt and Dan and Bo did it with Garrison and Cotton.

Reactions: Laner2
Frost needs to ask Trev to open up the pocket book to allow Scott to hire the best line coach we can get. Hell throw co-oc in. I mean, isn’t Austin running game coordinator? That alone should get his ass fired
I don't think opening the check book that wide would even be necessary. Somewhere there's a bright young O line coach whose players are playing well in a similar scheme and has shown he can recruit. I don't know if John Garrison would leave NCState to come home or not. They just beat Clemson.

I don't think opening the check book that wide would even be necessary. Somewhere there's a bright young O line coach whose players are playing well in a similar scheme and has shown he can recruit. I don't know if John Garrison would leave NCState to come home or not. They just beat Clemson.
I'd be down with that. What were his lines like when he was here before?

I suspect Austin is gone at the end of the year. I don't think there's any way they can bring in somebody else to coach the O line for the rest of the season if they can Austin now. There isn't anybody else on staff who has coached from the tackle in before. We're stuck with the situation for now. FWIW. Tom did the same thing with his assistants during the season. If he had somebody who was failing, he worked with them to try to make it work and if it became obvious after a couple of years that the guy wasn't ever going to get it done, he replaced him during the off season. Tom kept some guys on for years before he gave up on them and moved on.
Which is one of the many things I admire about Coach Osborne

They can easily find a guy outside the program to come in and be either an interim or permanent OL coach. There's hundreds of high school or small college OL coaches out there who could do a better job than Austin. The only reason we'd be stuck with the situation we're in is if Frost made us stuck. And I don't really give a shit what TO did. Frost isn't TO, and that's abundantly clear.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
I'm not sure he fully recognized the problem before this year. I suspect he wrote some of the issues off as first a "new system" and then "youth" much the same as many of us. Now he's got guys who are 3 years in the system in some cases and they're still struggling to execute their responsibilities. Clearly outside eyes have recognized a problem as the quotes from Alberts pointed out. No doubt Stai who is on our AD staff now, has had conversations with Trev about what he sees. I don't believe this is a problem with the offense that isn't fixable but it might not happen with Austin as the coach. It will be interesting to see how this all goes down over the next 2 months. At the very least I expect we'll have a new O line coach next year if Frost is retained.
I saw that Austin was a problem by year 1. That Frost can't recognize obvious problems for 4 years tells you all you need to know about his ability to run a program.

Reactions: bomber89
Many of you seem to be missing that if Austin isn't fired by year end, Frost very likely will be too. He's digging his own grave, which he's pretty much done his entire time here.

Many of you seem to be missing that if Austin isn't fired by year end, Frost very likely will be too. He's digging his own grave, which he's pretty much done his entire time here.
I still think he's here but to this point... Not trying to go Homer but with his relationship to Frost would Hoskinson ever be an option? the dude exudes excellence... perhaps he could be of help, at least in the interim

I think SF was making any decison about football that he wanted to when Moos was the AD. Now that there's a new boss, he realizes that shit don't fly.

As we all know, and should acknowledge, SF is a master at blaming everything on someone else. 2+ years ago I quit watching any of his during the week or game week press conferences, because I knew he was blowing smoke up their asses.

My personal opinion is NU under SF, has recruited a boatload of OL that are never gonna cut it playing Big Ten football.

Cam (already), Teddy, maybe Nouli, maybe Bando, possibly Banks, and then as he matures and ages Corcoran may all have the potential to be really good offensive linemen.

But for having 20 OL on hand, speaks to the lousy job of recruiting of big kids that have good feet and a level of aggression, has been a total faiure.

Next week will be "smash-mouth" when Michigan comes to Lincoln. I watched the Rutgers-Michigan game and Harbaugh rarely uses only the standard 5 man OL. Its always a TE on the line or slotted, or 2 TE's with one on the line and one slotted, OR 2 TE's and an additional OL when they near the red zone.
Some of his additional TE types are converted OT's. Harbaugh uses a ton of TE's or converted OT's in motion to serve as almost a lead blocker.

I'm not a "smash-mouth" advocate, I'm merely pointing out that MU will come in and have lots of big people on the line in an effort to move the ball.
Michigan is not impressive offensively, they throw @ 15 times a game and its a pretty simple passing game.

I know I'm a week early since NU has NW tomorrow, but maybe SF and Austin will get a dose of different ways to help out young/inexperienced OL's in order to help move the ball. Yet MU returned most of their starting OL from last year when they stunk as a team.

Sorry for the length of this.

I think SF was making any decison about football that he wanted to when Moos was the AD. Now that there's a new boss, he realizes that shit don't fly.

As we all know, and should acknowledge, SF is a master at blaming everything on someone else. 2+ years ago I quit watching any of his during the week or game week press conferences, because I knew he was blowing smoke up their asses.

My personal opinion is NU under SF, has recruited a boatload of OL that are never gonna cut it playing Big Ten football.

Cam (already), Teddy, maybe Nouli, maybe Bando, possibly Banks, and then as he matures and ages Corcoran may all have the potential to be really good offensive linemen.

But for having 20 OL on hand, speaks to the lousy job of recruiting of big kids that have good feet and a level of aggression, has been a total faiure.

Next week will be "smash-mouth" when Michigan comes to Lincoln. I watched the Rutgers-Michigan game and Harbaugh rarely uses only the standard 5 man OL. Its always a TE on the line or slotted, or 2 TE's with one on the line and one slotted, OR 2 TE's and an additional OL when they near the red zone.
Some of his additional TE types are converted OT's. Harbaugh uses a ton of TE's or converted OT's in motion to serve as almost a lead blocker.

I'm not a "smash-mouth" advocate, I'm merely pointing out that MU will come in and have lots of big people on the line in an effort to move the ball.
Michigan is not impressive offensively, they throw @ 15 times a game and its a pretty simple passing game.

I know I'm a week early since NU has NW tomorrow, but maybe SF and Austin will get a dose of different ways to help out young/inexperienced OL's in order to help move the ball. Yet MU returned most of their starting OL from last year when they stunk as a team.

Sorry for the length of this.
I don't think talent is the problem. It's 100% on crappy coaching. A lot of these guys were highly rated road graders in high school, but Austin has turned them into a bunch of pansies.

Reactions: bomber89
Just as a side note, I really don't like if/when I'm suggesting a man be fired from his job. Obviously, Austin, et al are not doing their job, but it is a profession that is result oriented.

In addition, position coaches generally make a nice living and the fraternity of coaches seems to always allow them to land on their feet.

I know IF Austin were a friend, or a relative I would be upset with all the calls to have him replaced. I try not to forget most of them have families, some with small children, but their lack of providing quality coaching affects others as well. It may well get the powers that be to start taking a lot closer look at some of the other position coaches and making needed changes. Sometimes they just have to go.

I saw that Austin was a problem by year 1. That Frost can't recognize obvious problems for 4 years tells you all you need to know about his ability to run a program.
I think SF "thought" his system was SO good that NU could get the job done in the Big Ten. In essence, SF overated his scheme and overrated Austin's ability to teach that system with success.

Just as a side note, I really don't like if/when I'm suggesting a man be fired from his job. Obviously, Austin, et al are not doing their job, but it is a profession that is result oriented.

In addition, position coaches generally make a nice living and the fraternity of coaches seems to always allow them to land on their feet.

I know IF Austin were a friend, or a relative I would be upset with all the calls to have him replaced. I try not to forget most of them have families, some with small children, but their lack of providing quality coaching affects others as well. It may well get the powers that be to start taking a lot closer look at some of the other position coaches and making needed changes. Sometimes they just have to go.
Nobody is saying anything about his family, most everyone is critical of his job performance. If that isn't fair game nothing is.

Soooooo he burned the first 3 years of tape? Didn’t watch them? Too much time at the Lincoln bars? This isn’t the first sign of the o-line and special teams being a cluster.

I don’t know that he’s an idiot. Just a very very bad Head Coach.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I saw you were a Svengali right off the bat. Do you never tire of bragging on yourself? You sound like Sean Hannity.
I've been shat on by the likes of posters like you for questioning early on if these coaches were really living up to the standards or giving the type of effort needed to be successful at this program. And yes, I made statements like that in year 1. So if you think it's bragging that I bring up the same thing I've been saying for years, so be it. I don't see it as bragging and I wish I were wrong. A lot of people would have seen the same thing if they thought critically instead of blindly believing everything Frost and the administration said.

I've been shat on by the likes of posters like you for questioning early on if these coaches were really living up to the standards or giving the type of effort needed to be successful at this program. And yes, I made statements like that in year 1. So if you think it's bragging that I bring up the same thing I've been saying for years, so be it. I don't see it as bragging and I wish I were wrong. A lot of people would have seen the same thing if they thought critically instead of blindly believing everything Frost and the administration said.
Please, you're not a friggin' martyr, you're a broken record who shats in every thread on this board. Everyone gets it:

(1) You don't like SF and most/all of the current staff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>check
(2) If only everyone paid attention to you>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>check
(3) You levitate above us in the proletariat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>check
(4) If anyone disagrees with you, they just don't get it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>check

Pretty much sums you up.

Please, you're not a friggin' martyr, you're a broken record who shats in every thread on this board. Everyone gets it:

Pretty much sums you up.
That's about right. I've only been on the board less than a month and he's on the short list of among the most obnoxious posters here.

I'd almost like to compare coaching resumes' with him, but it seems his knowledge, judge of talent, his ability to see into the future, and coaching acumen is so acute I may embarrass myself.

You're up oldjar.

Pretty much sums you up.
Okay, I'm going to continue posting my opinion, so you can put me on ignore for all I care.

That's about right. I've only been on the board less than a month and he's on the short list of among the most obnoxious posters here.

I'd almost like to compare coaching resumes' with him, but it seems his knowledge, judge of talent, his ability to see into the future, and coaching acumen is so acute I may embarrass myself.

You're up oldjar.
Lol I said one not so nice thing about one of your posts, don't take things so personally.

Lol I said one not so nice thing about one of your posts, don't take things so personally.
It's all good. Just try to respect other's opinions, even when you disagree.
It's an opinion board. When you tell people they are wrong, it gives the impression that you know it all, and that's not true with anyone.

I do know that coaching is important. I coached for 50 years.

I'm not a chef, but I do know, "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit."
As important as coaching is, talent is going to be required. A great coach makes the most of the available talent.

Do you thing, this is a free opinion/discussion board. I'd like to enjoy the back and forth and I try to respect others, although, a couple of times that wasn't possible.

Peace out.

Reactions: Laner2 and timnsun
I'd be down with that. What were his lines like when he was here before?
Heavily criticized but I think they were largely better than what we've seen out of Austin. He's a good recruiter IMO and he's got NCStates O line playing very well.

Sure just like being a snake in the grass is a way of life for you.
Snake in the grass? Lol…

Sorry, I didn’t mean to strike a cord. Like I said, don’t take it so personally. You need to lighten up and act like you aren’t the only one allowed to offer an opinion here.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Frost specifically mentioned LG and RT and mentioned Prochazka possibly getting more PT. So I don’t see wholesale changes. Prochazka may be the only change if the decide to move Corcoran inside to LG. There was zero mention of C or RG so I don’t think there is any changes there.

Frost specifically mentioned LG and RT and mentioned Prochazka possibly getting more PT. So I don’t see wholesale changes. Prochazka may be the only change if the decide to move Corcoran inside to LG. There was zero mention of C or RG so I don’t think there is any changes there.
If so, there where does that leave RT?

I sent you the lineup

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT