ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, I slept on it…..

Doesn’t help when your two top backs are gone for the season, your 3rd stringer has fumbling issues, and your 4th stringer is a frosh learning the playbook, and those two may be dinged up. So maybe there is a reason the rotation is hard to figure out for outsiders?
Even when they were all healthy, The rotation seemed disjointed and random.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I slept on it too Spartan. And I woke up I felt pretty much the same as always after the Cornhuskers forfeit a more than winnable game by finding ways to lose. I quickly ran through the stages of grief until I reached acceptance. I accepted the coaching staff isn't very good, accepted the team can't maintain focus at the most critical times, accepted we will be home in December again, accepted I will never see a Nebraska football championship of any kind before I die, and accepted we lost another game like we do most weeks and began planning the rest of my Sunday. Ob-la-di Ob-la-da life goes on...yeah

We went to OT. It was the right call.
Going to keep posting this

NCAA rankings

Wisc red zone offense - 51st
NU red zone offense - 118th

Wisc red zone defense - 44th
NU red zone defense - 61st

Wisc FG% - 31st
NU - FG% - 108th

we were at a statistical disadvantage in almost every meaningful stat pertinent to OT

How was playing for OT the right call?

It was the right call. If you're going to just pull up stats like that it's only showing that the other team is better. We were a turnover team all year. Leading the nation. So we are going with the let's not lose this game. The safe bet was going to OT and not losing the game. We all realized we lost the game. It was still the right call.

NCAA rankings

Wisc FG% - 31st
NU - FG% - 108th

we were at a statistical disadvantage in almost every meaningful stat pertinent to OT

This ^ and pretty much every single post that has been made spelling it out for people. There is not one statistic or logical thought whatsoever that says the end of the game was handled correctly. Had it been 4th down with the clock expiring and no timeouts, then we can argue whether the right call is to go for it or go to overtime. This was nothing even remotely close to that.

Reactions: Papa...Football
Don’t expect anything from Sodakred, other than to disappear when we win. Wonder what his name is on the Iowa board?
While my account got messed up and admins just restarted the clock on it a few years ago, I have been posting here under the same screen name since 2001 — in good times and bad. Joined in 2021, huh? How’s high school going?

Did not read 99% of the responses so if this is plagorism I apologize....but I have a question for those still complaining today about how regulation ended....yesterday...

....do you tards remember how last week's game ended? Interception late in opponents territory? So many of you act like you don't....and if Purdy had tossed a pick yesterday and ruined our chances for a FG/OT, you'd be whining about not at least getting 3 and going into OT.
Because we didn’t have to throw the ball at all - We had 3 F’ing timeouts. Could have run it 3 times to try and win. Then kick the FG. Instead this Dolt bled the clock and then called a PASS PLAY where we chucked it out of the end zone risking a sack for a loss which would have made the FG near impossible. It was dumber than last week.

Did not read 99% of the responses so if this is plagorism I apologize....but I have a question for those still complaining today about how regulation ended....yesterday...

....do you tards remember how last week's game ended? Interception late in opponents territory? So many of you act like you don't....and if Purdy had tossed a pick yesterday and ruined our chances for a FG/OT, you'd be whining about not at least getting 3 and going into OT.

That's why I laugh at the entire narrative. They killed HCMR fire going for the win last week. Now it's the other way and he's too conservative. Talk about results based business.

Hard to take some of these ppl serious.

Holla

NCAA rankings

Wisc FG% - 31st
NU - FG% - 108th

Agree. Thought we played too tight those last few plays.

The defense has choked the 2 nd half of the season IMO. The kicking game is atrocious
If by choked you mean not as dominant as 1st half of season, then I agree. If by choked you mean they sucked or were disappointing over the second half of the season, then I disagree.

Can't disagree with much.

Didn't turn the ball over, which is a huge positive.

Defense got beat up a bit by a relatively anemic offense. Mordecai made us look really slow in pursuit and tackling and he made all the plays to get them the W.

Pretty much the same we've seen for well over 20 years. We need a serious influx of speed. You can play hard and tough and sound defense, but speed will always be the ultimate difference maker.
The refs handed both Michigan State and Maryland their wins gift wrapped and Allen's intentional trip on Henrich prevented him from nailing Mordecai several yards behind the LOS in OT

Last edited:
While my account got messed up and admins just restarted the clock on it a few years ago, I have been posting here under the same screen name since 2001 — in good times and bad. Joined in 2021, huh? How’s high school going?
Graduated in 78. Couldn’t wait to get out of there. How is your experience?

I slept on it too Spartan. And I woke up I felt pretty much the same as always after the Cornhuskers forfeit a more than winnable game by finding ways to lose. I quickly ran through the stages of grief until I reached acceptance. I accepted the coaching staff isn't very good, accepted the team can't maintain focus at the most critical times, accepted we will be home in December again, accepted I will never see a Nebraska football championship of any kind before I die, and accepted we lost another game like we do most weeks and began planning the rest of my Sunday. Ob-la-di Ob-la-da life goes on...yeah
Wife and I had a good laugh, well said👍

That's why I laugh at the entire narrative. They killed HCMR fire going for the win last week. Now it's the other way and he's too conservative. Talk about results based business.

Holla
Two different scenarios.

Reactions: HuskerDana
the fullback went to double team a player 10 yards down the field. The defender went right across his facemask. Why not at least bump his ass? You could be right tho about it being the play design.
I assume you are talking about 1st play of OT. The defender was the read key. The real issue is choosing to run the play at all.
The worst thing a qb can do running option is to get deep (for several reasons). Was the OC not watching the game? Purdy did have 1 beautiful option run in the 1st quarter. But he also had several others where he got to deep (little to no gain). I trust my eyes and my brain to tell me its a low percentage play in that situation. Especially considering we are trying to run it in a compressed field.
I know Satterfield is not an option guru so i will help him out. If running the option multiple times and your guy isnt attacking the inside half of the read key he probabably shouldnt be asked to do it in a phone booth at crunchtime.....

It was the right call. If you're going to just pull up stats like that it's only showing that the other team is better. We were a turnover team all year. Leading the nation. So we are going with the let's not lose this game. The safe bet was going to OT and not losing the game. We all realized we lost the game. It was still the right call.
Boxes, I am a huge Coach Rhule fan. If we lose either way Coach is going to get ripped by some fans. But I think Garrison is spot on here.
I heard Coach say last week that we were trying to win the game. What changed? Putting aside the statistics Garrison pointed out (and I certainly wouldnt) you are on the road and 0-9 last 9 against opponent. I am ok with going for the win.

we had 3 timeouts at the Wisconsin 26 with approximately 1:35 left with a chance to win the game
We let 20 seconds run off the clock at the Wisconsin 18 with a chance to win the game

To everyone claiming we were being conservative to get the FG for overtime please explain to me why we bleed the clock down for one play only to drop back to throw it anyway

We gave up 5+ plays deep inside Wisconsin territory with a chance to win the game due to clock management

You lose the game with a turnover in overtime just the same as a turnover in regulation.
That was weird. Watched the game after laughing over UCLA blowing out USC. Still don't get why coaches sit on the TO's when in the red zone and can win instead of tying with the 3 for OT. Saw a few times this season.

while you 100% lose with a turnover late in that game, a turnover in OT almost always results in a loss as well
play to win

as far as the decision to play for OT

a 5-10 point underdog only has a 42% chance of winning in OT
Wisconsin has a better red zone offense than us - they are ranked 51st in the nation - we are 118th
Wisconsin has a better FG kicker than we do

some have argued that the time pressure is not as much of a factor in OT - while normally true - we were scrambling on multiple plays just to get our plays off before a delay of game

for those pointing to the fact that we had to be conservative with an inexperienced QB late in the game - you are going to be playing OT with the same inexperienced QB
If Purdy would have thrown a pick at end of regulation people would have complained why we didn’t play it safe and kick the FG to go into overtime. I know people would bitch and moan because they did it after the very thing happened against Maryland the week before.

If Purdy would have thrown a pick at end of regulation people would have complained why we didn’t play it safe and kick the FG to go into overtime. I know people would bitch and moan because they did it after the very thing happened against Maryland the week before.
That’s the point… you don’t HAVE TO THROW… play action turns into sourdough

Tired of waiting for us to “get better” and reach Northwesterner level success. I would say Iowa level but that is a pipe dream. Also tired of waiting for a good coach and staff. Especially ones that can recruit. Past three coaches including Rhule stink. Would not have said that last week. But his completely ****ing brain dead clock usage at the end was it for me. He is a coward who doesn’t practice what he preaches. “If we die we die!”. Yeah right. What bullshit.

I will still follow the team. How could I not? Lincoln boy. Lincoln High class of 77. Knew our glory years.

But it isn’t really any fun anymore. Lately, when I come into Lincoln for a game my sister and I party downtown because that is still fun. But for the first time ever we did not even bother to get tickets. Why pay money to watch such ugly shit football, a probable heartbreak one score loss, and incomprehensible coaching decisions. Surprised our brain trust did not have Marcus Washington back on punt returns, knee brace and all.

Yes sir. It ain’t fun anymore to watch the games and being a Husker football fan brings me neither pride or joy anymore.

Holla
We did not crucify Rhule for going for the win against Maryland. We were critical of his decision to throw it instead of running it. We had been running pretty well. Furthermore, a field goal would have put us ahead in that game, not tied it.

With how bad our offense is you need to seize the scoring opportunities when they arise. We had finally put a drive together after 3 quarters of futility. We were clearly in a groove. We had mojo. Wisconsin was on its heels. Rhule had 3 time outs in his pocket and 1:35 on the clock with the ball in the red zone and our running game getting chunk plays.

But I guess he hadn’t watched our season at all and is not aware just how rare scoring opportunities are for us. So yeah, by all means, throw away one touchdown opportunity to win it at the end and play for overtime. Because surely our offense will drill it to them then.

We did not crucify Rhule for going for the win against Maryland. We were critical of his decision to throw it instead of running it. We had been running pretty well. Furthermore, a field goal would have put us ahead in that game, not tied it.

With how bad our offense is you need to seize the scoring opportunities when they arise. We had finally put a drive together after 3 quarters of futility. We were clearly in a groove. We had mojo. Wisconsin was on its heels. Rhule had 3 time outs in his pocket and 1:35 on the clock with the ball in the red zone and our running game getting chunk plays.

But I guess he hadn’t watched our season at all and is not aware just how rare scoring opportunities are for us. So yeah, by all means, throw away one touchdown opportunity to win it at the end and play for overtime. Because surely our offense will drill it to them then.

YOU may not have crucified Ruhle but plenty people did. I guess I'm just a bit more understanding about these things. To each his own but to say he wasn't crucified by MANY MANY fans last week would be wrong.

Holla

* to me play of the game, not converting 4th and 1 … loved going( we really had no choice ) but not a fan of call
* Chubb’s gets a lot of grace from me… he has hardly played so saw a lot to like
* punting game looked weak… was it windy there?
* defense weakened and we had no spy on Mordecai
*WAAAY too many bad arm tackles… I think Mordecai easpecially gained 75 yards after being initially hit
Good post. I also thought the punter let us down. Didn’t he down his own punt at one point?

The tackling has gotten steadily worse as the year has gone on. They look as if they are not practicing any tackling in practice and are reverting to bad habits. Allowing the QB draw to hurt them even when everyone expected it was particularly concerning.

And why even send a DB on a blitz if he’s just going to do a fly by?

Reactions: countrybob
Tired of waiting for us to “get better” and reach Northwesterner level success. I would say Iowa level but that is a pipe dream. Also tired of waiting for a good coach and staff. Especially ones that can recruit. Past three coaches including Rhule stink. Would not have said that last week. But his completely ****ing brain dead clock usage at the end was it for me. He is a coward who doesn’t practice what he preaches. “If we die we die!”. Yeah right. What bullshit.

I will still follow the team. How could I not? Lincoln boy. Lincoln High class of 77. Knew our glory years.

But it isn’t really any fun anymore. Lately, when I come into Lincoln for a game my sister and I party downtown because that is still fun. But for the first time ever we did not even bother to get tickets. Why pay money to watch such ugly shit football, a probable heartbreak one score loss, and incomprehensible coaching decisions. Surprised our brain trust did not have Marcus Washington back on punt returns, knee brace and all.

Yes sir. It ain’t fun anymore to watch the games and being a Husker football fan brings me neither pride or joy anymore.
Yes, there are clearly better ways to spend my Saturdays. Rhule might get us to winning records, bowl games, and the like, but having a hard time seeing him take us to being a perennial power program, B1G championships, etc. Hope he proves me wrong. Still following the program, but it has not been fun for a long time.

NCAA rankings

Wisc FG% - 31st
NU - FG% - 108th

What part of 118th in red zone offense makes you think we had a shot of scoring right there?

Also, just 1 week ago we were the most turnover prone offense in the country, probably still are, or at least one of the worst. What part of that FACT makes you feel like Rhule has any ounce of confidence in running the ball or throwing the ball in the red zone? Have you not watched the offense this year???? We didnt magically just stop sucking. We still suck. You take the easy points and take the ball out of the hands of the worst unit on the team, and likely the worst offense in the country.

Wisconsin was/is the better team. They have been for a long time. There will come a day when they arent, but for now, that is the truth.

this argument has been debunked by the fact I don't see a single person mad about purdy throwing a pick at the end of OT

everyone just acts like it was a foregone conclusion

Last edited:
Reactions: ATX Husker
Doesn’t help when your two top backs are gone for the season, your 3rd stringer has fumbling issues, and your 4th stringer is a frosh learning the playbook, and those two may be dinged up. So maybe there is a reason the rotation is hard to figure out for outsiders?
Johnson is "learning the playbook"?

it's the 11th game of the season.

maybe there's a reason smooth brains like you are having to go through such an extreme mental gymnastics routine to attempt to cover for sheer numbskullery?

What part of 118th in red zone offense makes you think we had a shot of scoring right there?

Also, just 1 week ago we were the most turnover prone offense in the country, probably still are, or at least one of the worst. What part of that FACT makes you feel like Rhule has any ounce of confidence in running the ball or throwing the ball in the red zone? Have you not watched the offense this year???? We didnt magically just stop sucking. We still suck. You take the easy points and take the ball out of the hands of the worst unit on the team, and likely the worst offense in the country.

Wisconsin was/is the better team. They have been for a long time. There will come a day when they arent, but for now, that is the truth.
I will let you in on a little known secret - college football overtime is played in the red zone

a turnover in OT kills you almost the same as a turnover late in the game

if you think Wisconsin is clearly the better team then extending the game rather than trying to win it when you have an opportunity is idiotic

as it turned out we traded having the ball at the 18 with three timeouts where a touchdowin wins the game to getting the ball at the 25 in OT where you now have to score a touchdown just to get another overtime

What part? The part that says you take advantage of what is in front of you. How stupid are some people?
Or was it the part that had the 44th ranked RZ defense standing in the way of the, LOL, 118th ranked RZ offense. Since this guy brought up stats, just trying to use them to explain what most people (not playing madden) would do given their absolutely dog shit offense cant score on anyone. Its all statistics. super simple concepts.

Or was it the part that had the 44th ranked RZ defense standing in the way of the, LOL, 118th ranked RZ offense. Since this guy brought up stats, just trying to use them to explain what most people (not playing madden) would do given their absolutely dog shit offense cant score on anyone. Its all statistics. super simple concepts.
do people really not understand that in overtime you have to score in the red zone anyway and if you are in the red zone late in the game with a chance to win with a crap offense that 2 honest attempts to score and win the game are better than 1 -which is basically what playing for OT gives you

Last edited:
I will let you in on a little known secret - college football overtime is played in the red zone

a turnover in OT kills you almost the same as a turnover late in the game

if you think Wisconsin is clearly the better team then extending the game rather than trying to win it when you have an opportunity is idiotic

as it turned out we traded having the ball at the 18 with three timeouts where a touchdowin wins the game to getting the ball at the 25 in OT where you now have to score a touchdown just to get another overtime
not gonna keep arguing. I dont really care. I actually was pretty pissed about the whole deal too. I have just moved on and can understand both sides. Rhule is damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. If we had won in overtime, people would have all lined up and nodded at how great a decision that was.

not gonna keep arguing. I dont really care. I actually was pretty pissed about the whole deal too. I have just moved on and can understand both sides. Rhule is damned if he does, damned if he doesnt. If we had won in overtime, people would have all lined up and nodded at how great a decision that was.
poor Coach Rhule

:(

Garrison is running laps around you in this thread. what Rhule did was nonsensical & indefensible. completely counter to his rhetoric.

No Fear of Failure 2.0

as it turned out we traded having the ball at the 18 with three timeouts where a touchdowin wins the game to getting the ball at the 25 in OT where you now have to score a touchdown just to get another ovovertime

I'm not sure how anybody, including Rhule can offer a defense of the last 1:20 of that game.

Not taking a TO at the 38 second mark was such a bad decision. Baffling.

As stated many times in this thread. Why play for overtime when you are playing by the same rules and the same stats apply in OT as you are already playing against? And in OVERTIME it is also win or go home! WOW More proof you cannot FIX STUPID!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT