ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, I slept on it…..

spartanhusker

College Football Hall of Fame
May 29, 2001
….. and I STILL hate our ending 100%…. But maybe in a more measured tone, some thoughts…..
* loved our beginning… came ready to play
* early on, defense looked locked in
* to me play of the game, not converting 4th and 1 … loved going( we really had no choice ) but not a fan of call
* Chubb’s gets a lot of grace from me… he has hardly played so saw a lot to like
* punting game looked weak… was it windy there?
* defense weakened and we had no spy on Mordecai
* thought Grant and Johnson were great… loved Coleman as well
*WAAAY too many bad arm tackles… I think Mordecai easpecially gained 75 yards after being initially hit

Oh well….my daughter in law who has NEVER known me when we had good football said she felt sorry for me on som many words… my lot in life I guess😂

Can't disagree with much.

Didn't turn the ball over, which is a huge positive.

Defense got beat up a bit by a relatively anemic offense. Mordecai made us look really slow in pursuit and tackling and he made all the plays to get them the W.

Pretty much the same we've seen for well over 20 years. We need a serious influx of speed. You can play hard and tough and sound defense, but speed will always be the ultimate difference maker.

Can't disagree with much.

Didn't turn the ball over, which is a huge positive.

Defense got beat up a bit by a relatively anemic offense. Mordecai made us look really slow in pursuit and tackling and he made all the plays to get them the W.

Pretty much the same we've seen for well over 20 years. We need a serious influx of speed. You can play hard and tough and sound defense, but speed will always be the ultimate difference maker.
Every time we ran it, I yelled at the tvDON’T FUMBLE!!!!

we had 3 timeouts at the Wisconsin 26 with approximately 1:35 left with a chance to win the game
We let 20 seconds run off the clock at the Wisconsin 18 with a chance to win the game

To everyone claiming we were being conservative to get the FG for overtime please explain to me why we bleed the clock down for one play only to drop back to throw it anyway

We gave up 5+ plays deep inside Wisconsin territory with a chance to win the game due to clock management

You lose the game with a turnover in overtime just the same as a turnover in regulation.

….. and I STILL hate our ending 100%…. But maybe in a more measured tone, some thoughts…..
* to me play of the game, not converting 4th and 1 … loved going( we really had no choice ) but not a fan of call
* Chubb’s gets a lot of grace from me… he has hardly played so saw a lot to like
*WAAAY too many bad arm tackles… I think Mordecai easpecially gained 75 yards after being initially hit

Oh well….my daughter in law who has NEVER known me when we had good football said she felt sorry for me on som many words… my lot in life I guess😂
The defense missed on several sacks that would have been huge difference-makers. And the OL had several key penalties that killed drives and overall the blocking wasn't as good as prior weeks.
I also can't figure out why they put Robinson back in semi-coverage on a few plays. Tony White left me scratching my head more than once.

Reactions: ciurej 2.0 and zrob
we had 3 timeouts at the Wisconsin 26 with approximately 1:35 left with a chance to win the game
We let 20 seconds run off the clock at the Wisconsin 18 with a chance to win the game

To everyone claiming we were being conservative to get the FG for overtime please explain to me why we bleed the clock down for one play only to drop back to throw it anyway

We gave up 5+ plays deep inside Wisconsin territory with a chance to win the game due to clock management

You lose the game with a turnover in overtime just the same as a turnover in regulation.
Bizarre sequence once again from Matt Rhule to end a game. With that much time and three TO’s, you can do both. You can take the momentum and go for the win but also play for the FG, if that makes sense.

Husker football has become harder and harder to watch really since Osborne retired. What am I going to do? The Huskers are my team and I always look forward to August and the Fall season! One day I hope they get back to playing good football (Offense, Defense, Special Teams all show up) and I’ll look back and say I was there all the way.

Agree that the turnovers were limited which was refreshing to see!

Agree the turning point was not getting that 4th and 1. A score there (even going up 17-0) could have deflated Wisconsin.

Defense is the biggest surprise to me. Tackling at times was horrendous. The last couple of weeks really. Maybe White is leaving?

Next week is our last game of the year. (Defacto Bowl Game because we are not winning). You heard it here first! There is no culture yet, not enough want to, discipline, attention to detail. Against Wisconsin, the Offense came out on fire then got drunk on their success. Defense I thought played pretty flat and sloppy most of the game. Special Teams deserves an F. The kicking game cannot be relied upon. Once great kickers come here to regress is the trend.

The defense has choked the 2 nd half of the season IMO. The kicking game is atrocious
Because it’s very over rated unless you’re on this bored. OSU or any team above average mid 3* is going for 45 plus. We run in sand and can’t touch our knees standing up. Rhule found out 3* from the country are different from 3* from Texas that still run a 4.4.

Husker football has become harder and harder to watch really since Osborne retired. What am I going to do? The Huskers are my team and I always look forward to August and the Fall season! One day I hope they get back to playing good football (Offense, Defense, Special Teams all show up) and I’ll look back and say I was there all the way.

Agree the turning point was not getting that 4th and 1. A score there (even going up 17-0) could have deflated Wisconsin.

Defense is the biggest surprise to me. Tackling at times was horrendous. The last couple of weeks really. Maybe White is leaving?

Next week is our last game of the year. (Defacto Bowl Game because we are not winning). You heard it here first! There is no culture yet, not enough want to, discipline, attention to detail. Against Wisconsin, the Offense came out on fire then got drunk on their success. Defense I thought played pretty flat and sloppy most of the game. Special Teams deserves an F. The kicking game cannot be relied upon. Once great kickers come here to regress is the trend.
I'm not sure NU won't get a bowl bid even if they lose next week. It's best to win that game but even with a loss there might be a bid. Rhule won't be as foolish as Frost in that scenario and turn it down.

Bizarre sequence once again from Matt Rhule to end a game. With that much time and three TO’s, you can do both. You can take the momentum and go for the win but also play for the FG, if that makes sense.
As a Hawkeye fan you haven’t watched much Husker football to know we throw picks for gifts in the Red Zone. The opposing team knows you’re going to run and will try to strip the ball because we like to fumble - another gift we keep giving. I can’t fault Rhule for going conservative because he knows what this team is and isn’t capable of more than we do or see on TV. If our kicker had made the previous FG we would have won!

Why is a dumb a$$ Hawkeye fan on this board?

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69

Maybe had something to do with inexperience at QB?

I think it was a conservative play for a pass play. If coverage gets busted, great. If not, throw it away.

I'm pretty sure if we had to score a TD, we're not running that same pass play.

They'd run a higher risk pass play, but that wasn't necessary last night at that time.

while you 100% lose with a turnover late in that game, a turnover in OT almost always results in a loss as well
play to win

as far as the decision to play for OT

a 5-10 point underdog only has a 42% chance of winning in OT
Wisconsin has a better red zone offense than us - they are ranked 51st in the nation - we are 118th
Wisconsin has a better FG kicker than we do

some have argued that the time pressure is not as much of a factor in OT - while normally true - we were scrambling on multiple plays just to get our plays off before a delay of game

for those pointing to the fact that we had to be conservative with an inexperienced QB late in the game - you are going to be playing OT with the same inexperienced QB

Remember that option play to the far side where the fullback let a defender run right by him and blow up the RB for a loss on the play?

How many of these busted play are 1 or 2 players not quite grasping things?

Northwestern with all of its issues a few months ago and a terrible 2022 to build upon is sitting in second place in our division. Do you feel better now?😀

while you 100% lose with a turnover late in that game, a turnover in OT almost always results in a loss as well
play to win

as far as the decision to play for OT

a 5-10 point underdog only has a 42% chance of winning in OT
Wisconsin has a better red zone offense than us - they are ranked 51st in the nation - we are 118th
Wisconsin has a better FG kicker than we do

some have argued that the time pressure is not as much of a factor in OT - while normally true - we were scrambling on multiple plays just to get our plays off before a delay of game

for those pointing to the fact that we had to be conservative with an inexperienced QB late in the game - you are going to be playing OT with the same inexperienced QB
Very well stated.

Pinpoint on the biggest of factors.

Did not read 99% of the responses so if this is plagorism I apologize....but I have a question for those still complaining today about how regulation ended....yesterday...

....do you tards remember how last week's game ended? Interception late in opponents territory? So many of you act like you don't....and if Purdy had tossed a pick yesterday and ruined our chances for a FG/OT, you'd be whining about not at least getting 3 and going into OT.

Did not read 99% of the responses so if this is plagorism I apologize....but I have a question for those still complaining today about how regulation ended....yesterday...

....do you tards remember how last week's game ended? Interception late in opponents territory? So many of you act like you don't....and if Purdy had tossed a pick yesterday and ruined our chances for a FG/OT, you'd be whining about not at least getting 3 and going into OT.
Same result - an L if we turn it over in overtime - you are going to have to call many of the same plays in OT that you would have called had you been trying to win in regulation.

We played for OT with a much worse red zone offense as compared with Wisconsin and with a much worse kicking game

Kicking the FG against Maryland would have given us the lead when we had bottled up their offense the entire game. Completely different scenarios

Last edited:
Reactions: c3o

Some of us are not talking about Purdy potentially making a pass. I specifically called for them to keep pounding the rock to the goal line.

They took 50+ seconds off the clock only to rush it and figure out that IT WORKS. Then they realized with roughly 30 sec left, "Oh shit!! We're running out of time!!"

If they hadn't melted the clock and kept pounding the ball, there is higher potential to get in the end zone. Squandering the last 1:30, because you have hard decided on a FG is asinine.

Last edited:

Defense was not good, but kicking lost the game

Some of us are not talking about Purdy potentially making a pass. I specifically called for them to keep pounding the rock to the goal line. They took 50+ seconds off the clock only to rush it and figure out that IT WORKS. Then they realized, "Oh shit!! We're running out of time!!"

We had a ways to go and not a lot of time...we would have had to put the ball in the air at some point....and our D, which has been a bright spot for us held Wisky to 17 in regulation. Hard for me to fault them for the loss.

In almost identical circumstances...similar point on the field, pressure of game on the line, etc.

Reactions: Garrison34
Remember that option play to the far side where the fullback let a defender run right by him and blow up the RB for a loss on the play?

How many of these busted play are 1 or 2 players not quite grasping things?
Don't think he was supposed to. Pretty sure that was the defender that chuba is reading.

Don't think he was supposed to. Pretty sure that was the defender that chuba is reading.
the fullback went to double team a player 10 yards down the field. The defender went right across his facemask. Why not at least bump his ass? You could be right tho about it being the play design.

Reactions: BleedRed78
NCAA rankings

Wisc red zone offense - 51st
NU red zone offense - 118th

Wisc red zone defense - 44th
NU red zone defense - 61st

Wisc FG% - 31st
NU - FG% - 108th

Please tell me again why we had to be conservative and get this game to OT where we were at a statistical disadvantage in almost every meaningful stat pertinent to OT results

Last edited:
Reactions: UNCHUSKER
We had a ways to go and not a lot of time...we would have had to put the ball in the air at some point....and our D, which has been a bright spot for us held Wisky to 17 in regulation. Hard for me to fault them for the loss.

I don't remember exactly but we were around the 20 with around 1:00 left and 3 timeouts. And we were gashing them with our running game. There was plenty of time to keep trying. This game was nothing like last week. Other than they were both handled flat out wrong.

Help the “tards” out. The Wisky coaches surely were worried when they saw our brilliant strategy to burn out the clock and hope for a FG from an erratic kicker — and overtime.

the fullback went to double team a player 10 yards down the field. The defender went right across his facemask. Why not at least bump his ass? You could be right tho about it being the play design.

Because that's the guy you're trying to option.

The guy did a good job stringing it out.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Help the “tards” out. The Wisky coaches surely were worried when they saw our brilliant strategy to burn out the clock and hope for a FG from an erratic kicker — and overtime. Obviously Rhule made the intelligent choice.🤣

My hindsight is 20/20 to...I'm just offering up something else to think about.

I don't remember exactly but we were around the 20 with around 1:00 left and 3 timeouts. And we were gashing them with our running game. There was plenty of time to keep trying. This game was nothing like last week. Other than they were both handled flat out wrong.
Rhules clock management has been suspect at best this season.

That, and the rb rotation has been a complete mystery.

Mic drop……

Another thing that made me frustrated - Our first 4th and 1.

If Rhule supposedly likes FBs and we can play I formation... Why the heck are we not getting the ball off quicker to a FB as opposed to the crap play call that was made?

Reactions: BleedRed78

This game ended the exact same way

Purdy INT on our last possession

Oh well. Maybe next week. Maybe next year. Maybe maybe maybe, if if if

Rhules clock management has been suspect at best this season.

That, and the rb rotation has been a complete mystery.
Doesn’t help when your two top backs are gone for the season, your 3rd stringer has fumbling issues, and your 4th stringer is a frosh learning the playbook, and those two may be dinged up. So maybe there is a reason the rotation is hard to figure out for outsiders?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT