ADVERTISEMENT

No bowl games for me

bigboxes

Nebraska Legend
Sep 4, 2004
Arlington, TX
They are just obsolete at this point. I get that it's our last chance to watch football. But unless it's my Husekrs *wipes tears away* I'm just not interested in meaningless bowl games. I'll watch the CFP for sure. Maybe New Year's Day games if I can't find a cheap ticket to the Winter Classic.

Is everyone else watching more or less (same?) of the bowl games now that we have an established playoffs? I really want the NCAA to expand to 8 teams. That would be perfect.

Reactions: PM4NU
Actually watched the 2nd half of the Quick Lane Bowl between Pitt and Eastern Michigan. Nothing else on and needed to veg. It was actually a good game, solid play all around and Pitt took the lead at the very end. Eastern Michigan had a chance for a final drive, but their QB decided to throw punches, knocked over a ref, and was ejected. One of their DB's was ejected earlier. At first, the announcers thought it was an overreaction by the refs, but they later learned it was for spitting on the Pitt player. Not a good look for two seniors.

They are just obsolete at this point. I get that it's our last chance to watch football. But unless it's my Husekrs *wipes tears away* I'm just not interested in meaningless bowl games. I'll watch the CFP for sure. Maybe New Year's Day games if I can't find a cheap ticket to the Winter Classic.

Is everyone else watching more or less (same?) of the bowl games now that we have an established playoffs? I really want the NCAA to expand to 8 teams. That would be perfect.
I dont understand the lust for 8 team playoffs.
Which 8 teams this season proved they deserve a shot at the NC?
At what point do we make the best regular season in sports and conference championships obsolete? Eight teams would certainly do that. A firm NO to eight teams.

What you really want is another new years bowl day like we used to have of old, which was the greatest time in the calendar year of football. They playoff is what makes other major bowls “meaningless”.

There are also wayy to many bowl games. Need to eliminate it down to 15 bowls tops. But that will never happen.

Actually watched the 2nd half of the Quick Lane Bowl between Pitt and Eastern Michigan. Nothing else on and needed to veg. It was actually a good game, solid play all around and Pitt took the lead at the very end. Eastern Michigan had a chance for a final drive, but their QB decided to throw punches, knocked over a ref, and was ejected. One of their DB's was ejected earlier. At first, the announcers thought it was an overreaction by the refs, but they later learned it was for spitting on the Pitt player. Not a good look for two seniors.

I agree. I don't understand the dislike for lower tier bowl games. The Quick Lane Bowl was super fun to watch. Every year there is a few 'lower tier' bowls that are an absolute blast to watch. Did anybody watch last years Cheez-it Bowl? It was a masterpiece of ineptitude, turnovers and fun. I love bowl season.

I will maybe watch portions of a game but mostly I don’t care, I think the playoffs are more of a sham than the bcs. Oklahoma plays no competition lose to a 500 team in kst and still makes the playoffs. The system is designed to help the southern schools more than any

I will maybe watch portions of a game but mostly I don’t care, I think the playoffs are more of a sham than the bcs. Oklahoma plays no competition lose to a 500 team in kst and still makes the playoffs. The system is designed to help the southern schools more than any
Interesting. So who was more deserving than Oklahoma?

Regular season is in danger of becoming meaningless which would be the worst thing for college football.

8 team playoff allows for the P5 champ from each league to get in the playoff, making every week important in the regular season. The best G5 team could have a spot, making the regular season for a couple of those teams very important. And you'd still have room for a couple at-large teams who didn't win their league yet are still clearly great teams.

Reactions: HuskerDana

K-State is 8-4, hardly .500. We like to sound high and mighty on this board but do we even hang with them head to head.

Tell us more about your theory of the system being designed to help southern schools. What do we have this year, one team from the south, LSU. Unless you count Clemson and OU as being "south." Now if you want to pick on how the B!G schedules then I get that but that is not a BCS problem.My memory isn't the best and frankly I don't follow this all that much without the Huskers in the mix but it seems they have pretty much got it right since the beginning. Everyone can nit pick but they look at data while mere "fans" look at everything else.

For the record, I fail to see where expanding to 8 teams helps because the top handful of teams are so much better than the rest anyway. The odds of getting through that buzz saw if you aren't totally stacked is small and then what do you have? Lousy games all watered down.

Regular season is in danger of becoming meaningless which would be the worst thing for college football.

8 team playoff allows for the P5 champ from each league to get in the playoff, making every week important in the regular season. The best G5 team could have a spot, making the regular season for a couple of those teams very important. And you'd still have room for a couple at-large teams who didn't win their league yet are still clearly great teams.
So, you are saying that having non-conference champs get playoff spots, that somehow strengthens conference integrity? o_O
So youre saying that having LSU have to beat Georgia or Alabama....again....even though they already did it in the reg season/conference....improves the regular season and makes it more meaningful?
o_O

And...last year when Alabama beat Georgia in the conference title game...only for Georgia to get in again for an 8 teamer....and Bama would have to beat them yet again.....does that make the conference title more or less important?

Oklahomas TWO WINS over Baylor this season....TWO! Wouldnt give OU any better of a shot at an NC...Baylor would be right there in the playoff with them and OU might potentially have to beat them a THIRD time to satisfy the claim that they are more deserving of a NC than baylor. Are you kidding me? Does that somehow make the regular season, conference title more or less relevant?

Three loss wisconsin? An Oregon team that lost to Auburn in the reg season and 6-6 Arizona State deserves a shot? Why? They proved in the regular season that they are not NC caliber. To give them a shot at the NC makes those regular season games meaningless.

My goodness you people are fools, sorry for being harsh but get a clue.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
K-State is 8-4, hardly .500. We like to sound high and mighty on this board but do we even hang with them head to head.

Tell us more about your theory of the system being designed to help southern schools. What do we have this year, one team from the south, LSU. Unless you count Clemson and OU as being "south." Now if you want to pick on how the B!G schedules then I get that but that is not a BCS problem.My memory isn't the best and frankly I don't follow this all that much without the Huskers in the mix but it seems they have pretty much got it right since the beginning. Everyone can nit pick but they look at data while mere "fans" look at everything else.

For the record, I fail to see where expanding to 8 teams helps because the top handful of teams are so much better than the rest anyway. The odds of getting through that buzz saw if you aren't totally stacked is small and then what do you have? Lousy games all watered down.
Those games have already been played, as well.

LSU has beat Georgia.
Ohio State has beat wisconsin. Twice.
Oklahoma has beat Baylor. Twice.

These playoff games have already been played.
ITS CALLED THE REGULAR SEASON. PROTECT IT, DONT RUIN IT.

Reactions: dpnavy
Not crazy about the lower tier bowl games... interested in a few today. Hopefully Iowa gets their asses kicked tonight. Would love to see them cry about it in the off season. Always hope Penn St loses along with Miami and Texas.

Reactions: FtWorthhawkeye
Haven’t watched any yet. I’ll probably watch a few here and there - NYD for sure. If Nebraska we’re playing in a bowl game, I’d have a lot more interest in the others. Now it feels like hearing all about a great party that your friends were invited to, but you weren’t.

And sign me up for the 8 team playoff. IMO, that only creates more meaningful regular season games, not less. The overwhelming majority of regular season games have been meaningless with respect to the NC since the game was invented. I’m not sure where the fallacy of college football having such a meaningful regular season got started. For most teams, one loss eliminates you from NC contention - rendering the rest of your season meaningless.

Those games have already been played, as well.

LSU has beat Georgia.
Ohio State has beat wisconsin. Twice.
Oklahoma has beat Baylor. Twice.

These playoff games have already been played.
ITS CALLED THE REGULAR SEASON. PROTECT IT, DONT RUIN IT.

They've already ruined what was special in Div I-A (FBS) with the advent of the BCS. Four teams is not enough for a playoff. You need 5 just for P5 conference champions and then there would be three at large. That would cover outliers such as UCF and others. What needs to end is bowl game tie ins to the playoffs.

Honestly Frost can’t sniff Klieman’s jock strap as a coach.

Let them play the games for their fans if they want. The players and coaches put in a lot of work all year long so if they can be rewarded with a bowl game for their efforts, I'm all for it. Players have short careers so enjoy it while they can. If others don't want to watch the bowls, so be it. Nobody is forcing anyone to watch any games.

Don't know why some people are always trying to force their opinions on others when it really isn't that big of a deal. Live and let live is my motto.

Reactions: dpnavy

I stand corrected, I thought kst was 6-6

Let’s just hold on judgment, see how klieman can recruit over a number of years

Well, if what my buddy who is a very good coach at the HS level says is true, Klieman comes across very well and kids love him. He was at a clinic and said he was very dynamic and a good teacher and communicator.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
If you root for an 8 team playoff, then realize the SEC will fill out half the field. I don't care personally, but i'm betting it would irritate a lot of people.

I would have favored an 8-team playoff back when teams played 11 games and there were no conference championship games. Today I think it would be overkill, as there are more than enough opportunities to pare the playoff down to four teams.

So, you are saying that having non-conference champs get playoff spots, that somehow strengthens conference integrity? o_O
So youre saying that having LSU have to beat Georgia or Alabama....again....even though they already did it in the reg season/conference....improves the regular season and makes it more meaningful?
o_O

And...last year when Alabama beat Georgia in the conference title game...only for Georgia to get in again for an 8 teamer....and Bama would have to beat them yet again.....does that make the conference title more or less important?

Oklahomas TWO WINS over Baylor this season....TWO! Wouldnt give OU any better of a shot at an NC...Baylor would be right there in the playoff with them and OU might potentially have to beat them a THIRD time to satisfy the claim that they are more deserving of a NC than baylor. Are you kidding me? Does that somehow make the regular season, conference title more or less relevant?

Three loss wisconsin? An Oregon team that lost to Auburn in the reg season and 6-6 Arizona State deserves a shot? Why? They proved in the regular season that they are not NC caliber. To give them a shot at the NC makes those regular season games meaningless.

My goodness you people are fools, sorry for being harsh but get a clue.

Your complaints are related to the size of these conferences and how each league decides their conference champion rather than having the 8 best teams decide the national champ by having a playoff.

Let's just schedule cupcakes and have a bunch of fat old people vote on the best team as you propose. Great idea.

Damn straight. Been saying this EXACT same thing for years. This scenario eliminates a lot of complaints that some have....the best G5 team gets a shot, P5 champions get a shot, and on those occasions that a great team slips up in a conference title game, they still get in.

Reactions: bigboxes
As my interest in bowl games has waned, my interest in the NFL playoffs has exploded. I think the playoffs are going to be really good this year!

I know for me that my interest is less in bowl games when Nebraska is not in one. Mostly, it is because I would have a rooting interest in most other games hoping for Nebraska’s ranking would be improved. Hard to care when there is no chance of being ranked.

Reactions: oldjar07
I know for me that my interest is less in bowl games when Nebraska is not in one. Mostly, it is because I would have a rooting interest in most other games hoping for Nebraska’s ranking would be improved. Hard to care when there is no chance of being ranked.
Football in general is less fun to watch when the Huskers are down. I was excited for the season to start and watched every game I could, then I saw that nothing was changed for us this year so I lost a lot of interest in watching other games.

More football is better imo, and it's a long wait until the next season. If anything, the CFP has taken away excitement from the championship game.

Case in point our fanbase is crazy.

Are you kidding me? Bowl games are the shit, REGARDLESS who is playing, and I've seen a lot of great games since our beloved Huskers started sucking in the mid 2000s.

Grow up.

Football in general is less fun to watch when the Huskers are down. I was excited for the season to start and watched every game I could, then I saw that nothing was changed for us this year so I lost a lot of interest in watching other games.

BS. Complete BS.

Ohio State, Clemson and LSU are the 3 best teams to ever play in the CFB Playoffs, collectively, this year

tOSU vs Clemson should be epic, then LSU (presumably) is waiting.

But but but but but I won't watch cuz Nebraska isn't in a bowl and I only watch Nebraska. Lol

I dont understand the lust for 8 team playoffs.
Which 8 teams this season proved they deserve a shot at the NC?
At what point do we make the best regular season in sports and conference championships obsolete? Eight teams would certainly do that. A firm NO to eight teams..

So why is that a requirement? How many of the 64 teams in March Madness have really proven they deserve a shot? In fact an 8 team playoff makes the regular season more meaningful because more teams haven't been essentially eliminated with one or possibly even two losses.

Now it feels like hearing all about a great party that your friends were invited to, but you weren’t.
Yeah.......but when one comes to grips with the fact he is a loser and that is just how it is, it becomes possible to hear about the parties and not feel badly. NU hasn't been there for 3 years now and might not be next year. I'm getting used to being on the outside looking in.

Man, I used to LIVE for bowl season. I haven’t tuned into any games yet. I feel like college football has lost it’s luster with so many worthless bowl games. I’ll *probably* watch the playoff games... but in general... I just don’t care.

Reactions: bigboxes
Man, I used to LIVE for bowl season. I haven’t tuned into any games yet. I feel like college football has lost it’s luster with so many worthless bowl games. I’ll *probably* watch the playoff games... but in general... I just don’t care.

Wow. Just wow.

Cult.

It never was like that when Nebraska would cheer our victorious opponents off the field at home games, then back them to the end.

tOSU all the way. Big, fast, speed, talent...

GBR

You guys are ridiculous.
Oklahoma has beat Baylor TWICE, but in your opinion Baylor deserves to be in a playoff along with OU.
Ohio State has beat Wisconsin TWICE, but are ranked top eight, but you think they deserve to be in the playoff with OSU.
LSU has beat Georgia, Beat them like absolute hell, (“slip up”, lol). Like, a week ago. But apparently you believe Feorgia deserves a shot at the playoff along with LSU.
Get ready for controversy regarding top 8 as well....
How long til teams start blowing off meaningless conference games? You know it’ll happen.

There already is an 8 team playoff, and then some.

(As a side note, as this really shouldnt even matter in this discussion....the NFL pays players and also play 16 game seasons, with 32 teams. The NCAA basketball has like 320 teams and play 25 games, not to mention an entirely different sport. These are not apples to apples.
And last I checked, the NFL regular season has never been at the level of CFB. Big bowls have always been great.)

Reactions: CatColumbia
You guys are ridiculous.
Oklahoma has beat Baylor TWICE, but in your opinion Baylor deserves to be in a playoff along with OU.
Ohio State has beat Wisconsin TWICE, but are ranked top eight, but you think they deserve to be in the playoff with OSU.
LSU has beat Georgia, Beat them like absolute hell, (“slip up”, lol). Like, a week ago. But apparently you believe Feorgia deserves a shot at the playoff along with LSU.
Get ready for controversy regarding top 8 as well....
How long til teams start blowing off meaningless conference games? You know it’ll happen.

There already is an 8 team playoff, and then some.

(As a side note, as this really shouldnt even matter in this discussion....the NFL pays players and also play 16 game seasons, with 32 teams. The NCAA basketball has like 320 teams and play 25 games, not to mention an entirely different sport. These are not apples to apples.
And last I checked, the NFL regular season has never been at the level of CFB. Big bowls have always been great.)

I used to use this argument before the BCS. Once the change was made, it made the bowls obsolete. Good teams should be able to absorb a loss or two and make the playoffs. There's nothing saying they can't pick 3 P5 at large bids. It just leaves room for that miracle G5 season. I would say the P5 have more sway because they control college football. Lots of money at stake here.

If necessary, drop back down to 11 regular season games. Playoffs would pay more $$ than the extra game provides. This is assuming that Frost gets us back in the hunt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT