ADVERTISEMENT

NIL opt outs

skintight

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 2, 2012
Are there any clauses in these NIL contracts about players opting out of bowl games?

Are there any clauses in these NIL contracts about players opting out of bowl games?
It’s a contract .. the parties can put whatever legal stipulations they want. The collective can place financial stipulations tied to playing in a bowl.
Likewise an athlete can negotiate a stipulation that pays them a bonus if the program said NIL is affiliated with fails to qualify for a bowl arguing it hurts future NIL earnings by preventing them from playing on a national stage.

It’s a contract .. the parties can put whatever legal stipulations they want. The collective can place financial stipulations tied to playing in a bowl.
Likewise an athlete can negotiate a stipulation that pays them a bonus if the program said NIL is affiliated with fails to qualify for a bowl arguing it hurts future NIL earnings by preventing them from playing on a national stage.
I don't think there's a single word in this post that's correct

Yeah, from the few meaningless bowls I've watched so far this year, they've really almost turned into a pre-season game for next year for a lot of teams. Bizarre to watch
Nebraska has been away from bowl games for so long that I don't think the reality has set in for Husker fans. The experience of having your team playing in a bowl game and having half of your team's best players quit beforehand is not something that we've ever had to deal with.

Nebraska has been away from bowl games for so long that I don't think the reality has set in for Husker fans. The experience of having your team playing in a bowl game and having half of your team's best players quit beforehand is not something that we've ever had to deal with.

That's true. And even if we did get into one of the meaningless bowls, we've had so few players who might have sat out due to their NFL draft potential that we wouldn't have felt it there much either. Kind of a chicken and egg situation if you think about it 🤔

having half of your team's best players quit beforehand
I wonder if fewer players would opt out if they actually did have to quit the team? For some reason most still make the bowl trip, go to all the dinners and events, get all the swag, and stand on the sideline during the game. You would think more coaches would say, "If you want to opt out of the bowl game, that's your choice. But we need to move forward with the guys who choose to play, so good luck and goodbye."

That's true. And even if we did get into one of the meaningless bowls, we've had so few players who might have sat out due to their NFL draft potential that we wouldn't have felt it there much either. Kind of a chicken and egg situation if you think about it 🤔
Good point. I guess I should clarify-- seems like 90-95% of the kids skipping the bowl games are in the transfer portal. Oddly, there aren't as many opt outs for the NFL draft as one would think. Ohio State even has Marvin Harrison Jr. still practicing with the team as if he's going to play and he's slated to go top 5 in the draft.

I would bet that these kids have a lot of NIL incentive to play in these bowl games. The transfer portal guys do not.

I wonder if fewer players would opt out if they actually did have to quit the team? For some reason most still make the bowl trip, go to all the dinners and events, get all the swag, and stand on the sideline during the game. You would think more coaches would say, "If you want to opt out of the bowl game, that's your choice. But we need to move forward with the guys who choose to play, so good luck and goodbye."
I could not agree more.

Reactions: baseball31ne
As ive posted mutiple times, coaches hate this but cant do it because it would harm recruiting.
Ncaa needs to put an end to it now.
When 12 team playoff hits, players will be opting out of regular season games, whoch will be just as “meaningless” as the sugar bowl once their team is eliminated from contention.

I was looking forward to an OSU beatdown of ATM last night as ATM reportedly had 31 players opt out of the bowl game. Damn, if ATM didn't make it a contest.

I hate players opting out of bowl games unless they're injured.

As ive posted mutiple times, coaches hate this but cant do it because it would harm recruiting.
Ncaa needs to put an end to it now.
When 12 team playoff hits, players will be opting out of regular season games, whoch will be just as “meaningless” as the sugar bowl once their team is eliminated from contention.

What's your logic for why regular season opt outs will increase once they go to 12 teams? Seems if anything, there would be more teams in contention longer, so fewer regular season opt outs? Or am I missing something?

Reactions: oldjar07
You remember that time when Nebraska had a whole team opt out of a bowl game. That was awesome!
The fact that the head coach was not immediately fired after this incident is an abomination. Not only was he brought back for the next season but he was also brought back the season after when the loser culture he spent his first 3 years building finished with just one conference win and yet the sycophants in charge somehow deluded themselves into thinking we were close and brought him back for year 5

I don’t disagree with you, but a coach who does that is going to be crucified by the media and the university isn’t going to have the best image as a result either, IMO.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
What's your logic for why regular season opt outs will increase once they go to 12 teams? Seems if anything, there would be more teams in contention longer, so fewer regular season opt outs? Or am I missing something?
By current trends. Players are opting out at an alarming rate for bowl games because they say they are “meaningless”. I cant believe they can call the sugar bowl against a top ten team meaningless, but ere we are.
So if the sugar bowl against a top ten team is “meaningless” simply because it isnt a playoff/NC game, then you can bet your ass a week 11 game for a 3 or 4 loss team who has been eliminated from playoff contention is going to be considered “meaningless” by players wanting to go to the NFL or hit the portal.
Look at the sheer number of opt outs. You cant tell me there wont be at least a handful who will opt out weeks 11 or 12 and tarnish the regular season.
NCAA needs to stop it.
Before you call me crazy, As a football fan and former player I couldnt have ever imagined calling a football game against a quality opponent “meaningless”, as a player or as a fan, but here we are.

I don’t disagree with you, but a coach who does that is going to be crucified by the media and the university isn’t going to have the best image as a result either, IMO.
I'm sure that's why this keeps happening, but I'm not so certain the crucifixion would be successful. I think most fans would say that NOT taking players who choose to opt out on the bowl trip makes sense. I wouldn't suggest running them off the campus or doing anything to mess up their NFL aspirations, but leaving them out of the bowl travels seems very reasonable to me.

I'm sure that's why this keeps happening, but I'm not so certain the crucifixion would be successful. I think most fans would say that NOT taking players who choose to opt out on the bowl trip makes sense. I wouldn't suggest running them off the campus or doing anything to mess up their NFL aspirations, but leaving them out of the bowl travels seems very reasonable to me.
Of course it is and fans will agree.
It will be used as negative recruiting, however. Thats why coaches are scared of it.
Ncaa needs to stepmin

Reactions: dinglefritz
The way to address this is to make the bowl games meaningful for the players. The bowl, the city, the sponsor, the networks etc can offer participation and winner payouts that go to players
Disagree.
Play or get your scholly/nil revoked.
Time to stop rewarding quitters.

By current trends. Players are opting out at an alarming rate for bowl games because they say they are “meaningless”. I cant believe they can call the sugar bowl against a top ten team meaningless, but ere we are.
So if the sugar bowl against a top ten team is “meaningless” simply because it isnt a playoff/NC game, then you can bet your ass a week 11 game for a 3 or 4 loss team who has been eliminated from playoff contention is going to be considered “meaningless” by players wanting to go to the NFL or hit the portal.
Look at the sheer number of opt outs. You cant tell me there wont be at least a handful who will opt out weeks 11 or 12 and tarnish the regular season.
NCAA needs to stop it.
Before you call me crazy, As a football fan and former player I couldnt have ever imagined calling a football game against a quality opponent “meaningless”, as a player or as a fan, but here we are.

Ah, so you're just predicting that's where things are heading...not that it will have anything to do with switching to a 12 team playoff. Sorry if I misread your original post. Because, if anything, the 12 team playoff will just keep more teams in the hunt longer, not fewer. As it stands, with only 4 spots, all but about 6-8 teams are realistically out of contention by weeks 11 or 12. With 12 spots, I'd think that number at least goes to 20 or more.

At any rate, I'm actually surprised we don't see more of it (not sure I can remember it ever happening). Maybe it's a culture thing? Meaning, it's acceptable to sit out a bowl within the culture of the sport, but maybe quitting part way through the season isn't? Like NFL teams would see that as a major red flag and it would actually hurt your draft status, but sitting out the bowl is fine.

IDK, let's hope it doesn't go that way. It's already a shit show and is in serious need of some parameters, whatever they may be. Whole thing is just a rudderless ship right now.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Ah, so you're just predicting that's where things are heading...not that it will have anything to do with switching to a 12 team playoff. Sorry if I misread your original post. Because, if anything, the 12 team playoff will just keep more teams in the hunt longer, not fewer. As it stands, with only 4 spots, all but about 6-8 teams are realistically out of contention by weeks 11 or 12. With 12 spots, I'd think that number at least goes to 20 or more.

At any rate, I'm actually surprised we don't see more of it (not sure I can remember it ever happening). Maybe it's a culture thing? Meaning, it's acceptable to sit out a bowl within the culture of the sport, but maybe quitting part way through the season isn't? Like NFL teams would see that as a major red flag and it would actually hurt your draft status, but sitting out the bowl is fine.

IDK, let's hope it doesn't go that way. It's already a shit show and is in serious need of some parameters, whatever they may be. Whole thing is just a rudderless ship right now.
No I definitely think the 12 team playoff will lead to more of it for teams who arent in the 12-15 hunt range by week 11.
What two things have caused all these opt outs?
1. 4 team playoff
2. Nil and portal.

It wasnt happening before the four team playoff. The portal and nil have made it worse, yes, but I believe the 12 team will lead to it happening more in the regular season. I remember when people thought the four team would be the holy grail. I knew it wouldnt.
Again, if the orange bowl is meaningless because it isnt a playoff game, then your week 11 or 12 game is meaningless once you are eliminated from the 12. This is simple logic that this is where its heading.
I know it will never come back, but I miss the wild west bowl season. Everyone says the playoff is so much better, but heres what it used to be like:
1. Players didnt quit like they are now
2. Butts were in the seats for bowl games.

Look I get it my take is not popular and everyone now thinks a 12 team will cure all ills, but theres going to be other problems. One of those problems is going to be “so and so doesnt belong in at #12 because their week 12 opponent didnt even have their stud playing” yadda yadda.

Now I will admit there will be some positives with the 12 team, of course there will be. Orange bowl will matter again. But i forsee regular season quitters unless the ncaa does something.

No I definitely think the 12 team playoff will lead to more of it for teams who arent in the 12-15 hunt range by week 11.
What two things have caused all these opt outs?
1. 4 team playoff
2. Nil and portal.

It wasnt happening before the four team playoff. The portal and nil have made it worse, yes, but I believe the 12 team will lead to it happening more in the regular season. I remember when people thought the four team would be the holy grail. I knew it wouldnt.
Again, if the orange bowl is meaningless because it isnt a playoff game, then your week 11 or 12 game is meaningless once you are eliminated from the 12. This is simple logic that this is where its heading.
I know it will never come back, but I miss the wild west bowl season. Everyone says the playoff is so much better, but heres what it used to be like:
1. Players didnt quit like they are now
2. Butts were in the seats for bowl games.

Look I get it my take is not popular and everyone now thinks a 12 team will cure all ills, but theres going to be other problems. One of those problems is going to be “so and so doesnt belong in at #12 because their week 12 opponent didnt even have their stud playing” yadda yadda.

Now I will admit there will be some positives with the 12 team, of course there will be. Orange bowl will matter again. But i forsee regular season quitters unless the ncaa does something.

I definitely don't think "a 12 team will cure all ills" but I'm just not seeing how having 20 plus teams in the hunt in weeks 11-12 will lead to more players opting out than having 6-8 teams in the hunt at the same time. Math doesn't square up in my mind. Portal doesn't even open until after the regular season and conference championship games (by design I'm sure). So, there's really not even a way this could happen. Announce you plan to enter the portal and sit the last game or two until it actually opens and stay away from the program in the meantime? Sorry, I just don't see this happening. Either way, we can both agree that it's very broken and needs to be fixed.

I definitely don't think "a 12 team will cure all ills" but I'm just not seeing how having 20 plus teams in the hunt in weeks 11-12 will lead to more players opting out than having 6-8 teams in the hunt at the same time. Math doesn't square up in my mind. Portal doesn't even open until after the regular season and conference championship games (by design I'm sure). So, there's really not even a way this could happen. Announce you plan to enter the portal and sit the last game or two until it actually opens and stay away from the program in the meantime? Sorry, I just don't see this happening. Either way, we can both agree that it's very broken and needs to be fixed.
Ok. Agree to disagree.
The four team playoff made games “meaningless” that werent at one time meaningless.
I think the 12 team playoff will make even more games “meaningless” that weren't at one time meaningless. Especially for NFL players, less likely portal players.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Ok. Agree to disagree.
The four team playoff made games “meaningless” that werent at one time meaningless.
I think the 12 team playoff will make even more games “meaningless” that weren't at one time meaningless. Especially for NFL players, less likely portal players.

Ah, so it'll actually make 4 more bowl more meaningful since they'll now be part of the playoff (not sure that math is right, it's probably actually more than that for the added rounds), but make the rest even less meaningful because they're really the spare of the spare. Thereby, players that are destined for those even more meaningless bowls, give even less of a shit than they do now. Is that kind of what you're saying? Yeah, I can see that I guess.

I read an article recently that indicated that for players expecting to go into the NFL, opting out of the bowl game is a no-brainer decision due to the risk of injury and the possible consequences.

The example was of a player, from Florida State I believe, who chose to play in the bowl game and had a major injury. The injury caused him to drop in the NFL draft, reduced his effectiveness as a player and shortened his NFL career. He did receive $500k of insurance money due to the injury but the effect to his NFL career finances was easily more than $500k.

Reading that article changed my perspective on the subject.

That's what should happen but turns out most coaches are cucks.

I read an article recently that indicated that for players expecting to go into the NFL, opting out of the bowl game is a no-brainer decision due to the risk of injury and the possible consequences.

The example was of a player, from Florida State I believe, who chose to play in the bowl game and had a major injury. The injury caused him to drop in the NFL draft, reduced his effectiveness as a player and shortened his NFL career. He did receive $500k of insurance money due to the injury but the effect to his NFL career finances was easily more than $500k.

I wonder if anyone ever improved their draft stock with a good bowl showing...and how many of those players there are versus the exanple you listed.....

This Orange Bowl game looks like it might be a turning point for figuring out an answer to opting out. This is going to be 55-10 and a joke. Who is going to pay tickets, hotel, and airfare in the future to watch their second team get crushed in a bowl game .

I wonder if anyone ever improved their draft stock with a good bowl showing...and how many of those players there are versus the exanple you listed.....
An NFL team that has zeroed in on their first round high draft pick absolutely would prefer that player opt out of any bowl game

Agents in many cases financially incentivize their top players not to play

ponder this. If a coach, team, conference, or NCAA were to mandate that all players opting out will suffer a penalty (loss of scholarship, repayment of scholarship value, ineligibility to transfer....what ever the penalty is) then will the Bowl games turn into the product that we see during the Pro Bowl, or the product of the NBA all star game ? so no one playing defense or making solid tackles etc basically a 7 on 7.

Is it possible to provide enough incentive for at least 99.8% of all the players to play? perhaps the winning teams in the playoff and bowl games receive a monetary award? what say you?

Why take the risk playing any game? We can wrap these guys in a bubble for 3 years and then the draft would just be based on their HS star ratings. We wouldn't have to go through the trouble of even playing the games and everyone is risk free from injury. This is the reality we should strive for, that is if we care about the players and their safety.

ponder this. If a coach, team, conference, or NCAA were to mandate that all players opting out will suffer a penalty (loss of scholarship, repayment of scholarship value, ineligibility to transfer....what ever the penalty is) then will the Bowl games turn into the product that we see during the Pro Bowl, or the product of the NBA all star game ? so no one playing defense or making solid tackles etc basically a 7 on 7.

Is it possible to provide enough incentive for at least 99.8% of all the players to play? perhaps the winning teams in the playoff and bowl games receive a monetary award? what say you?
Many knew the NIL & the transfer portal was going to ruin college football - but it’s happened much faster than most would have guessed.

Ah, so it'll actually make 4 more bowl more meaningful since they'll now be part of the playoff (not sure that math is right, it's probably actually more than that for the added rounds), but make the rest even less meaningful because they're really the spare of the spare. Thereby, players that are destined for those even more meaningless bowls, give even less of a shit than they do now. Is that kind of what you're saying? Yeah, I can see that I guess.
The new BCS will add four bowl games to the playoff for quarterfinal games. First round games will be hosted by the lower seed team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT