ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Harrison opt out

NUSouth

Senior
Oct 25, 2009
Marvin Harrison is the first example I’ve seen of a player opting out of a game for no reason. Not injured, not in portal, has not declared for draft, yet he decided not to play in tOSU bowl game. Worst part was they let him wear his jersey and stand with the team on the sideline.

I’m assuming he is going to go NFL and has told Day but not made it public. Otherwise, that can’t be good for team morale to have opt outs standing on the sideline with those who want to play.

Marvin Harrison is the first example I’ve seen of a player opting out of a game for no reason. Not injured, not in portal, has not declared for draft, yet he decided not to play in tOSU bowl game. Worst part was they let him wear his jersey and stand with the team on the sideline.

I’m assuming he is going to go NFL and has told Day but not made it public. Otherwise, that can’t be good for team morale to have opt outs standing on the sideline with those who want to play.
Not just "standing on the sideline" OP, taking part in all bowl practice preps, activities, and most likely getting all the SWAG / dinners / entertainment / travel that the rest of his playing teammates received. Screw this entitled generation and those before, or after, that have zero work ethic....what we used to call moochers.

Not just "standing on the sideline" OP, taking part in all bowl practice preps, activities, and most likely getting all the SWAG / dinners / entertainment / travel that the rest of his playing teammates received. Screw this entitled generation and those before, or after, that have zero work ethic....what we used to call moochers.
I can't say that I agree with his decision, but in this case MHJ is one of the biggest reasons why they are there in the first place. And I'm sure he has an excellent work ethic, probably much better than anyone here, I'd wager. Implying he is a moocher in this context is kind of hysterical.

Reactions: BleedRed78
He’s a top 8 pick for sure. Zero reason for him to play. He will declare, I am sure
No top 20 pick should be playing in non playoff bowl games. I wouldn’t. Why risk the 20 million?
I think the main point is that if you aren’t playing you shouldn’t get the perks of the trip. Day letting him come only incentives and furthers this type of behavior.

Anyone having a hard time understanding why a kid would not play in a meaningless game is the same type of person that would have a winning lotto ticket and drive to cash it while holding it out the window.
I understand it not necessarily agree totally. Both can be true at the same time. My issue with je opt outs.When the coaches are trying to coach up the players on the sidelines the opt outs are standing over the coaches shoulder trying to coach them also. I would tell the opt outs to go stand by the cheerleaders and support your teammates that way .

I understand it not necessarily agree totally. Both can be true at the same time. My issue with je opt outs.When the coaches are trying to coach up the players on the sidelines the opt outs are standing over the coaches shoulder trying to coach them also. I would tell the opt outs to go stand by the cheerleaders and support your teammates that way .
I coached FB for 20 years.

1. Cheer coaches are ****ING NUTS and would NEVER let anyone go near their "spot"

Seriously, those cheer coaches in dictators.

I agree. He’s welcome to use the facilities to lift, but no bowl game and no training table. He’s essentially left the team.

Reactions: MargotDeeper
Anyone having a hard time understanding why a kid would not play in a meaningless game is the same type of person that would have a winning lotto ticket and drive to cash it while holding it out the window.
I won’t argue with his decision to sit out. He doesn’t have anything to prove… unlike several other prospects who opted out.

What I don’t agree with is saying these bowl games are meaningless. Why is the Cotton Bowl meaningless?

I won’t argue with his decision to sit out. He doesn’t have anything to prove… unlike several other prospects who opted out.

What I don’t agree with is saying these bowl games are meaningless. Why is the Cotton Bowl meaningless?
Meaningless is a matter of perspective and is therefore relative.

As someone who never played sports beyond high school, I like to think I would always take one more chance to suit up and play with the boys. Heck, I'd love to get together and play one more pick-up game with my college buddies.

What I mean is, fans are really just outsiders. We are projecting onto these high caliber athletes what we want them to be. We are far more emotional than they are.

I think the kids treat it like a business. I highly doubt any of the kids who play are resentful of the stars who sit. As a business, you are in it for the $$$ and probably the championships. Bowl games present a significant risk to the former and no chance at the latter.

The irony is that the athletes that are making the decisions have put far more blood, sweat, and tears into football than any of us outsiders. They have earned the right to make the decision.

Because the chance of getting hurt and never playing again is a bigger risk.

The same reason why coaches pull starters in a blowout. It is meaningless for them to be in the game anymore.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Meaningless is a matter of perspective and is therefore relative.

As someone who never played sports beyond high school, I like to think I would always take one more chance to suit up and play with the boys. Heck, I'd love to get together and play one more pick-up game with my college buddies.

What I mean is, fans are really just outsiders. We are projecting onto these high caliber athletes what we want them to be. We are far more emotional than they are.

I think the kids treat it like a business. I highly doubt any of the kids who play are resentful of the stars who sit. As a business, you are in it for the $$$ and probably the championships. Bowl games present a significant risk to the former and no chance at the latter.

The irony is that the athletes that are making the decisions have put far more blood, sweat, and tears into football than any of us outsiders. They have earned the right to make the decision.
Right...

No player would get pissed at the starting QB that is pulled in the 3rd quarter because they are up by 50...you don't want that guy to get hurt.

Reactions: 90sman
Right...

No player would get pissed at the starting QB that is pulled in the 3rd quarter because they are up by 50...you don't want that guy to get hurt.
Yes. Exactly why pros sit when playoff berth or seeding are not affected by the outcome of a game. It renders that game meaningless in reference to their ultimate goals.

Yes. Exactly why pros sit when playoff berth or seeding are not affected by the outcome of a game. It renders that game meaningless in reference to their ultimate goals.
I think fans need to look at these games like most of us look at the last day of work before Xmas...Sure, you go in and sort of sit around and chat with some co-workers but you are not really busting your ass.

I think some people are wondering why opt out of “meaningless” bowl games but not opt out of meaningless regular season games after their team has 1 or 2 losses as that deems the remainder of the season “meaningless”
Good question. That has already happened...bet it will happen more, though sparingly. Most players are not a "lock" to go in the top few spots of the draft, so opting out of too many games could be a red flag that hurts their draft stock. Bowl games are unique and it has now become acceptable for players to sit with no professional consequences.

I think some people are wondering why opt out of “meaningless” bowl games but not opt out of meaningless regular season games after their team has 1 or 2 losses as that deems the remainder of the season “meaningless”
Because they still want to be on the team.

This is the last game of the year....not the 5th game of the year.

So quit on your team the last game of the year, the final game you’ll play with your brothers that you worked your ass off all year with. Whatever, I don’t get it, I know it’s all about money
You do get it!

Put it this way....if you had the winning lotto ticket would you hold that ticket over an open fire pit before trying to cash it in? Nope!

If you got a new job and your new boss said "Okay, we are going to give you 10 million a year BUT you can't give two weeks notice, you have to leave now" would you tell him to **** off and that you have to honor your "brothers"?

Of course not.

I'm not using using their "opting out" euphamism. If their decision to quit the game they love and on their teammates is dictated by incentives, then the incentives need to be changed, but it is still quitting.

I'm not using using their "opting out" euphamism. If their decision to quit the game they love and on their teammates is dictated by incentives, then the incentives need to be changed, but it is still quitting.
Quitters all.

Are you serious?
You said bowl games are meaningless. Im asking why week 11 or 12: or any other games arent meaningless?
Fair question, my guess...
Because it is the last game of the year. Sort of like your last day at work. Are you going to give 100% your last day of work? Of course not.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
You do get it!

Put it this way....if you had the winning lotto ticket would you hold that ticket over an open fire pit before trying to cash it in? Nope!

If you got a new job and your new boss said "Okay, we are going to give you 10 million a year BUT you can't give two weeks notice, you have to leave now" would you tell him to **** off and that you have to honor your "brothers"?

Of course not.
Your employer would be able to get legal say for two weeks if in contract.

Any game once someone is eliminated. I fail to see why bowl games (usually matched against quality oppononts) are meaningless and week 11 games arent?
If the measure of meaningful is a chance to play for a championship, there are > 50 teams that should cancel their entire seasons because they have zero chance no matter if they go undefeated.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
You do get it!

Of course not.
Ok , now you are trying to hard to win this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT