ADVERTISEMENT

NIL opt outs

Yeah, from the few meaningless bowls I've watched so far this year, they've really almost turned into a pre-season game for next year for a lot of teams. Bizarre to watch

USC even outdid that. Announcers said that was a ghost team in the bowl game which was nowhere close to what they ended the year with, nor will it be what they have next year. They still looked good on offense and QB threw 6 TD

A&M lost a lot of guys due to coach firing. I almost felt sorry for the new coach from Duke trying to do an interview during that game. A&M looked awful and that was his new team with boosters who are not very patient.

I read an article recently that indicated that for players expecting to go into the NFL, opting out of the bowl game is a no-brainer decision due to the risk of injury and the possible consequences.

The example was of a player, from Florida State I believe, who chose to play in the bowl game and had a major injury. The injury caused him to drop in the NFL draft, reduced his effectiveness as a player and shortened his NFL career. He did receive $500k of insurance money due to the injury but the effect to his NFL career finances was easily more than $500k.

Reading that article changed my perspective on the subject.
Why even play the last 5 games of the season too?

Ah, so it'll actually make 4 more bowl more meaningful since they'll now be part of the playoff (not sure that math is right, it's probably actually more than that for the added rounds), but make the rest even less meaningful because they're really the spare of the spare. Thereby, players that are destined for those even more meaningless bowls, give even less of a shit than they do now. Is that kind of what you're saying? Yeah, I can see that I guess.
I literally mean the regular season.

Weeks 11 and 12,.
There will be quitters.

Why even play the last 5 games of the season too?
Exactly. Maybe not that extreme but youre on the right track.

Bowl games didnt used to be considered meaningless. The system changed and now they are

It only stands to reason that when the system changes again, other games not currently considered meaningless will be. This will include late regular season games for higher caliber teams who have been eliminated from playoff contention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT