ADVERTISEMENT

Marvin Harrison opt out

I agree with the OP about Harrison. That was frickin' bizarre to see him on the sidelines.

From a purely selfish standpoint, it would have been nice to see one of this year's best players actually play.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Because the chance of getting hurt and never playing again is a bigger risk.

The same reason why coaches pull starters in a blowout. It is meaningless for them to be in the game anymore.
I'm not picking on you specifically, but I hear time and time again about bowl games being "meaningless" and they are not. If you're talking about Harrison, fine, walk out on the team before the end of the season (I call that quitting). But I don't think it should be called "a meaningless game" because it means a lot to most people.

Implying he is a moocher in this context is kind of hysterical.
CgMI.gif

Anyone having a hard time understanding why a kid would not play in a meaningless game is the same type of person that would have a winning lotto ticket and drive to cash it while holding it out the window.
My grip is stellar tho.

• Love
Reactions: BTF69
Because the chance of getting hurt and never playing again is a bigger risk.

The same reason why coaches pull starters in a blowout. It is meaningless for them to be in the game anymore.
It is meaningless at the expense of the team goals, not personal goals, you dolt.

It is meaningless at the expense of the team goals, not personal goals, you dolt.
How do you know what his personal goals are?

My guess is that one of his personal goals was NOT to play in a non-playoff bowl game. I don't know for sure, because I don't know his personal goals, like you do, but that is my guess.

According to some once a team has nothing as far as championships to play for it is alright for players to not even try anymore. Afterall there is nothing to play for! Does that not sound wrong to many of you?
Depends...

You will have some guys that are playing for a starting spot for next season
You will have some guys that are playing for a good transfer spot for next season
You will have some guys that are playing for a win
You will have some guys that just want the season to end

He’s a top 8 pick for sure. Zero reason for him to play. He will declare, I am sure
No top 20 pick should be playing in non playoff bowl games. I wouldn’t. Why risk the 20 million?
If you want to put it that way why play in the playoff game? It won't be long that players like him won't bother. A twelve team playoff is THREE extra games - why take that chance if you are a lock NFL player. These are very legit questions that are going to come up in the next couple of years. Elite teams with elite players are going to have to address this issue.

If you want to put it that way why play in the playoff game? It won't be long that players like him won't bother. A twelve team playoff is THREE extra games - why take that chance if you are a lock NFL player. These are very legit questions that are going to come up in the next couple of years. Elite teams with elite players are going to have to address this issue.
This is a really good point.

Now, I will say this, a chance to win a NC is much different, for most players. Winning it all is usually a bigger deal, opposed to winning the Frosted Flakes Peach Bowl. But you will still have some great players that will think about it for sure.

Marvin Harrison is the first example I’ve seen of a player opting out of a game for no reason. Not injured, not in portal, has not declared for draft, yet he decided not to play in tOSU bowl game. Worst part was they let him wear his jersey and stand with the team on the sideline.

I’m assuming he is going to go NFL and has told Day but not made it public. Otherwise, that can’t be good for team morale to have opt outs standing on the sideline with those who want to play.
I think every scholarship player has the obligation to play in the bowl games if they aren’t injured. That’s why the institutions offered for their free educations to represent the university. Otherwise bowl games doesn’t mean much any more either win or lose.

Reactions: oldjar07
I think every scholarship player has the obligation to play in the bowl games if they aren’t injured. That’s why the institutions offered for their free educations to represent the university. Otherwise bowl games doesn’t mean much any more either win or lose.
Play or be dressed in full pads?

Because there are a lot of guys on each team that will not get on the field.

Many(most?) opt-outs aren’t going to class 2nd semester anyways, so that might be a moot point.

Not just "standing on the sideline" OP, taking part in all bowl practice preps, activities, and most likely getting all the SWAG / dinners / entertainment / travel that the rest of his playing teammates received. Screw this entitled generation and those before, or after, that have zero work ethic....what we used to call moochers.
According to some he is a walking lottery ticket, so maybe he should have been considering the risks in doing the above.

Did he do the math on getting on a plane or driving in a car or being around other people who are potentially ill with contagious disease? Why take a chance driving to the grocery store? Or going outside at all? Or having other people over? Or getting out of bed? Or staying in bed too long?

Once you start living in fear and giving up what you supposedly love in order to avoid statistically rare events, where does it end? The list of what you could be afraid of is endless and if you are going to think like this it is irrational to stop at just quitting football.

Reactions: MargotDeeper
According to some he is a walking lottery ticket, so maybe he should have been considering the risks in doing the above.

Did he do the math on getting on a plane or driving in a car or being around other people who are potentially ill with contagious disease? Why take a chance driving to the grocery store? Or going outside at all? Or having other people over? Or getting out of bed? Or staying in bed too long?

Once you start living in fear and giving up what you supposedly love in order to avoid statistically rare events, where does it end? The list of what you could be afraid of is endless and if you are going to think like this it is irrational to stop at just quitting football.
But when you drive, don't you take all the precautions possible?

Seatbelt? Good brakes, stopping at stop signs, stopping at red lights, looking both ways, signaling your turns?

Or do you just drive with reckless abandon?

If the weather is horrible out do you delay your trip to the store or do you risk it to get that gallon of milk?

Driving back from Xmas last year the interstate was so bad there was about 12 cars in the median or off to the side, because the snow/ice made the conditions horrible. We were going maybe 20 miles an hour, I pulled off and got a hotel room for the night. Does that make me a quitter and a pussy? Or smart?

First off, no game is meaningless to the fans, coaches and program. Secondly, if these kids wants to get paid like professionals, then they gotta show up and perform like professionals. NFL players can’t refuse to play after their playoff chances are done. If we’re paying these kids and they want a piece of the pie, then they gotta play to protect the product which is being significantly hurt by them sitting. If they want to give up their pay and go back to true amateur status, then I’m cool with opt outs. If someone is paying you to play for a team, you better play.

First off, no game is meaningless to the fans, coaches and program. Secondly, if these kids wants to get paid like professionals, then they gotta show up and perform like professionals. NFL players can’t refuse to play after their playoff chances are done. If we’re paying these kids and they want a piece of the pie, then they gotta play to protect the product which is being significantly hurt by them sitting. If they want to give up their pay and go back to true amateur status, then I’m cool with opt outs. If someone is paying you to play for a team, you better play.
I don't disagree with a lot of this BUT NIL is not tied to performance. It is your name, image and likeness.

Secondly, there are meaningless games, I coached FB, baseball, wrestling, basketball...we have meaningless games.

Nothing like that consolation 5th/6th place basketball game at some Xmas tourney that means spending another 2 hours at some school.

I don't disagree with a lot of this BUT NIL is not tied to performance. It is your name, image and likeness.

Secondly, there are meaningless games, I coached FB, baseball, wrestling, basketball...we have meaningless games.

Nothing like that consolation 5th/6th place basketball game at some Xmas tourney that means spending another 2 hours at some school.
They can and I think will likely tie NIL to play. The first time a top paid player opts out half the season, things will change and we’ll see these deals tied to playing if not hurt.

As for the meaningless games….theyre not meaningless to the fans. College football has limited number of games, we want wins, especially if people are putting their own money into these NIL collectives. All of these things are coming to head and something has to give. People won’t continue to spend their time and money on a product where the kids don’t care about the outcome and choose not to play. Things are early, so people are just now seeing the results of the current system and everyone already thinks it sucks. It will change and kids are going to have to play if they want their checks.

They can and I think will likely tie NIL to play. The first time a top paid player opts out half the season, things will change and we’ll see these deals tied to playing if not hurt.

As for the meaningless games….theyre not meaningless to the fans. College football has limited number of games, we want wins, especially if people are putting their own money into these NIL collectives. All of these things are coming to head and something has to give. People won’t continue to spend their time and money on a product where the kids don’t care about the outcome and choose not to play. Things are early, so people are just now seeing the results of the current system and everyone already thinks it sucks. It will change and kids are going to have to play if they want their checks.
Oh I agree, for us fans, each game is magical. I love each one, it is an event for me and my friends.

You weren’t much of a coach if that’s your approach. Explains current circumstances perfectly

But when you drive, don't you take all the precautions possible?

Seatbelt? Good brakes, stopping at stop signs, stopping at red lights, looking both ways, signaling your turns?

Or do you just drive with reckless abandon?

If the weather is horrible out do you delay your trip to the store or do you risk it to get that gallon of milk?

Driving back from Xmas last year the interstate was so bad there was about 12 cars in the median or off to the side, because the snow/ice made the conditions horrible. We were going maybe 20 miles an hour, I pulled off and got a hotel room for the night. Does that make me a quitter and a pussy? Or smart?
In these analogies playing with a helmet and pads suffices for basic protection and I don't think Missouri qualifies as winter weather or has caused career ending injuries at a higher rate compared to other teams.

After all, his teammates played. Their families were not on the edge of their seats all game like they were watching an MMA fight because the chance of serious injury is small. So small that insurance companies will bet millions against it happening and give significant odds.

All that said, I do get your point at least a little. The money makes his situation different and changes the contingencies. If someone broke it down mathematically, maybe I could even be convinced it is rational rather than emotional reasoning.

However, in that case, the bowls or the schools or NIL collectives or the NFL should come up with a different incentive structure so doing the right thing -- playing the game he loves and being there for his team -- is also the rational thing to do.

In these analogies playing with a helmet and pads suffices for basic protection and I don't think Missouri qualifies as winter weather or has caused career ending injuries at a higher rate compared to other teams.

After all, his teammates played. Their families were not on the edge of their seats all game like they were watching an MMA fight because the chance of serious injury is small. So small that insurance companies will bet millions against it happening and give significant odds.

All that said, I do get your point at least a little. The money makes his situation different and changes the contingencies. If someone broke it down mathematically, maybe I could even be convinced it is rational rather than emotional reasoning.

However, in that case, the bowls or the schools or NIL collectives or the NFL should come up with a different incentive structure so doing the right thing -- playing the game he loves and being there for his team -- is also the rational thing to do.
Shit man, I get it. If NU was playing and their best guys opted out I would not like. I would totally understand but I would not like it.

Shit most sports contracts even have sections saying that the player can play pick up games or ride dirt bikes...shit like that. It is all about protecting the investment.

His alligator arms in their biggest game of the season, Michigan, told me all I need to know about him.

I coached FB for 20 years.

1. Cheer coaches are ****ING NUTS and would NEVER let anyone go near their "spot"

Seriously, those cheer coaches in dictators.
Funny story about cheer coaches. We were in Lawrence for the Husker/KU game about 20 years ago. KU did something stupid, don’t remember exactly. KU male cheerleader screams “We f**king suck”! right in front of us. Cheer coach heard it and took him on a walk of shame ride right to the exit.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
Lol...he could go help make someone rich and get hurt but he's no quitter.

Lmao what a dumb concept. No reason our country is fckd up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT