ADVERTISEMENT

Most of us will be eating crow

Fire Chin. Can’t coach. Will never win a B1G style game with him.

Or maybe we just need to give these guys more than a year to see where they can get us. We have a team full of young guys playing key roles and a defense that has never had consistent coaching. It was perfect storm for our offense to struggle today and we still won. Keep building big red.

Is this where the vast majority of the board takes a fine effort by our defense on a crap weather day against a crap level offense and declares our defense fixed?

Let's just enjoy the victory, but the "eat crow" crowd after one performance can eat their own crow until there is a real system in place that looks to take our defense into the future.

My key question after today is how Frost plans to scheme in late November. Hopefully he has some more tricks up his sleeve. Need a running game that can find the edges and get defenses moving laterally instead of just standing there eating our lunch all day long, but again, savor the victory until that gets figured out too.

I was more surprised to see than we never got into the end zone. Turkey for me.

for thanksgiving. Raise your hand if you thought we would hold them to 6 points? I didn’t.
I did in another thread Bad spot for MSU IMO! But said 10-14, I also called the D there too and no one wanted to read as my whole post was dead on again. Go read my take if you dare.

Is this where the vast majority of the board takes a fine effort by our defense on a crap weather day against a crap level offense and declares our defense fixed?

Let's just enjoy the victory, but the "eat crow" crowd after one performance can eat their own crow until there is a real system in place that looks to take our defense into the future.

My key question after today is how Frost plans to scheme in late November. Hopefully he has some more tricks up his sleeve. Need a running game that can find the edges and get defenses moving laterally instead of just standing there eating our lunch all day long, but again, savor the victory until that gets figured out too.

I don't see anybody saying the defense is "fixed". Just a lot of Husker fans who appreciated the great effort by the defense today.

Who said it is fixed? It is only whiny, hysterical posters like you on here day after day, week after week whining about this team or about our players or about our coaches and posting sheer nonsense like it can't be fixed who need to check themselves. Take a week off and relax.

I don't see anybody saying the defense is "fixed". Just a lot of Husker fans who appreciated the great effort by the defense today.

me2. Much better effort in coverage and some guys stepping-up to play gaps and make tackles. Hope it carries over to Iowa.

Iowa's offense isn't awe-inspiring, we should feel very comfortable mimicking this effort.

The running game will improve. Most games, even in November, won’t be played against the #1 rush defense with wind knocking every pass down.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I have been one to question the defense and will gladly say the defense had a very good day. Their effort was helped by the weather, some dropped passes, a new QB. They did however put forth great effort and did a better job of tacking than they have done all year. They held MSU out of the end zone at least three times when the Spartans were in the Red Zone. Those are steps forward. Even against a less than stellar offense the defense truly showed up today and deserves at minimum some atta boys!

The running game will improve. Most games, even in November, won’t be played against the #1 rush defense with wind knocking every pass down.

Yep.....20 degrees and the wind was howling.......gotta have a defense and be able to run the ball somewhat.

MSU does have one damn fine defense. They're for real. Maybe our defense will now take a few big steps. They deserve it.

I didn't think we would hold them to six before the game. About halfway through I thought we would, because the defense had played well up to that point.

The defense has given us plenty to bitch about all season, but today they showed up big time.

Reactions: CatColumbia
My post from yesterday from another thread for all of you know it all's that think you know everything, but know absolutely nothing! LOL

This will be the easiest offense we have to deal with this year as their line has been completely decimated due to injuries, and as a result they only have 1 starter on the OL that's been playing injured for awhile now and can't afford to not have him out there as the other 4 are all backups that have only been starting for a couple of weeks.

Their best receiver and top RB LJ Scott are on the shelf for the year and Leuwerke has an injured shoulder and Lombardi doesn't know the offense that well. On top of that, they have absolutely no run game whatsoever.

If we deploy the same defensive scheme we did against OSU even if our D has been putrid, we hold them to 10-14 points. Bush was and is the only running QB that we've faced or will face from here on out.

We used a different scheme against the Illini last week due to AJ's running ability and the triple option. That is something we don't have to worry about this game. GO BIG RED!!

If people can't tell that our defense was going up against the 117th ranked offense in D1 football...in a driving snow (that also helped to hold our 13th ranked offense to no TDs) I'm not going to make a point of emphasizing it. Winking

The one thing I learned today in probably the best possible example I've ever come across...Is that it is a helluva lot better winning really ugly, than it is losing really pretty.

Reactions: Wyldcard
How about our offense having to play against the nations 16th ranked scoring defense with a major contributor missing, while their 117th ranked offense went against our 103rd scoring D... I sure don't know how we won when their recruiting avg is a whole half a class better then ours...

How about our offense having to play against the nations 16th ranked scoring defense with a major contributor missing, while their 117th ranked offense went against our 103rd scoring D... I sure don't know how we won when their recruiting avg is a whole half a class better then ours...
Read my post 2 up and there will be your answer.

I thought the offense would produce more than 3 field goals. Do I have to eat crow for that?
No you do not. I said in another thread in RSS early this week that if everyone thinks we're gonna have an easy time moving the ball against that D of their's. their in for a rude awakening..

I didn't think we would hold them to six before the game. About halfway through I thought we would, because the defense had played well up to that point.

The defense has given us plenty to bitch about all season, but today they showed up big time.
This was probably the worst offensive performance of the year. Big task to be able to keep Mich St under 10. This win was the D 100%

I am sure playing in a winter storm with a howling wind and one of the best D's in the country might have something to do with lower offensive output today. The point is still to find a way to win. That was more important for this team's morale and buy in than the offensive output.

Reactions: kakdawg
I have been one to question the defense and will gladly say the defense had a very good day. Their effort was helped by the weather, some dropped passes, a new QB. They did however put forth great effort and did a better job of tacking than they have done all year. They held MSU out of the end zone at least three times when the Spartans were in the Red Zone. Those are steps forward. Even against a less than stellar offense the defense truly showed up today and deserves at minimum some atta boys!
Agree - effort was good but there was still no pass rush and still weakness against the inside run. The drops REALLY helped. What I am most impressed with lately is the much better cornerback play and the "harder hitting".

Reactions: timnsun
Who said it is fixed? It is only whiny, hysterical posters like you on here day after day, week after week whining about this team or about our players or about our coaches and posting sheer nonsense like it can't be fixed who need to check themselves. Take a week off and relax.
i notice he does that, too

The vast majority of posters here are not self-important blowhards, so they're not terribly likely to declare the defense fixed just because of one game. Similarly, they don't squeal and wet their pants on a daily basis because a defense that was terrible in 2017 didn't get fixed in one offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT