ADVERTISEMENT

Lions - Niners

I’m generally on board with the way coaches use analytics to make ‘go/no-go’ decisions; but you have also got to factor in game flow. Had Campbell kicked the FG on their first possession of the 2nd half, they would have regained their 17 point lead. AND - more than half of the 3rd quarter would have been used up. Said another way, SF would have gained no ground on you, and more than half of the 3rd quarter would have been burned up.

The decision in the 4th quarter….I could understand a little more, but only because Detroit got themselves into desperation mode because of the 1st decision. I lean toward taking the FG, because SF had scored on every possession of the second half and Detroit really needed to stop the bleeding.

I’m generally on board with the way coaches use analytics to make ‘go/no-go’ decisions; but you have also got to factor in game flow. Had Campbell kicked the FG on their first possession of the 2nd half, they would have regained their 17 point lead. AND - more than half of the 3rd quarter would have been used up. Said another way, SF would have gained no ground on you, and more than half of the 3rd quarter would have been burned up.

The decision in the 4th quarter….I could understand a little more, but only because Detroit got themselves into desperation mode because of the 1st decision. I lean toward taking the FG, because SF had scored on every possession of the second half and Detroit really needed to stop the bleeding.
I spent an enjoyable Sunday afternoon/evening watching football without being too invested in who won or lost. So... I think I scared my wife in the 4th quarter when I exploded off the couch and screamed, "KICK THE EFFING FIELD GOAL YOU MORON!" after the Lions turned it over on downs the last time. I'm no NFL coach, but I can't see not tying the game in that situation.

However, I do think Campbell is taking a lot of heat that could have been avoided if Josh Reynolds could catch a football.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I spent an enjoyable Sunday afternoon/evening watching football without being too invested in who won or lost. So... I think I scared my wife in the 4th quarter when I exploded off the couch and screamed, "KICK THE EFFING FIELD GOAL YOU MORON!" after the Lions turned it over on downs the last time. I'm no NFL coach, but I can't see not tying the game in that situation.

However, I do think Campbell is taking a lot of heat that could have been avoided if Josh Reynolds could catch a football.
I still think the first fg they opted not to go for was more idiotic. Midway through the third and chance to answer their score with a fg a 17 point lead. Instead Reynolds drops it and SF gets a big break on a deep pass . I figured game was over after that.

Reactions: mgbreis
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT