ADVERTISEMENT

Let the QB battle begin....

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_d26754fd-5c33-59f1-82ea-cc245d79be4c.html When it came to the pass, the Huskers completed just 50.2 percent of their passes in 2016. Only five teams in the FBS were lower in completion percentage. NU's average of 6.9 yards per attempt ranked 78th nationally. One, from Langsdorf about Lee and O'Brien: "They are well on their way to having a really good understanding of what we're doing. They're accurate throwers, which is really evident in our practices. We complete a lot of balls when they're in there. They throw the ball down the field nicely, and are doing a nice job of checking the ball down to the backs." "I don't know if Tanner is our answer at quarterback or not, but I know as a leader and as the details we want him to adhere to, he does that," Banker said. "He's just fun to be around. And I think that's important as a quarterback who's not just likable, but who is respected by his teammates, and I think he'll be one of those guys."

Last edited:
Imagine for a moment of having a QB that completes 65% passes. We had guys open all the time, this will open up running game as well.

Lol, Imagine having a qb that can hit 50% against conference competition

Imagine for a moment of having a QB that completes 65% passes. We had guys open all the time, this will open up running game as well.

It's not just completion percentage but the quality of the completions. Saw plenty of great passes to guys in stride today. When the RB can catch the ball with his shoulders and hips already turned upfield it makes a big difference. When a WR can catch the ball in front of his body while running full speed it makes a big difference. That's what we really didn't have much of this year from TA.

I can't wait to see DPE and JD Spielman getting the ball in stride. Hopefully we can add Joseph Lewis, Jamire Calvin, et al. to that list as well.

But...but, if they can't scramble we will never win!!:eek::rolleyes:
No, but our run game was garbage this season when we didn't have the threat of the QB running. Unless the O-Line makes significant strides, our run game will be garbage again next year. Don't see any of our RB's as anywhere near great. And with Cav coaching the O-Line, I'm not expecting much.

The OL has to be better, said that all yr and I believe they will be. Can't be the same or worse, if so Cav will be gone before end of year. I think there is talent that RS this year.

We did not have guys running open all the time......that's laughable.

Maybe on some deep routes. But our receivers were the most overrated part of our team. Not one of them can get open without a rub crossing route or play action accept Westerkamp.

Word out of Lincoln is that POB is the guy. His accuracy on par with what we see on Sunday's for the most part. I'm thinking we may have the next Drew Breese on our hands!

Reactions: siebo454

Maybe on some deep routes. But our receivers were the most overrated part of our team. Not one of them can get open without a rub crossing route or play action accept Westerkamp.

Don't totally disagree with you. But I would say there were "more than a few" busted coverages and/or poor pass defenses provided by NU opponents that TA didn't take advantage of because he was often locked on to a guy even before the snap.

Reactions: timnsun
Word out of Lincoln is that POB is the guy. His accuracy on par with what we see on Sunday's for the most part. I'm thinking we may have the next Drew Breese on our hands!

Where is this "word" coming from, if I may ask? So POB is throwing the ball more accurately than Lee?

We had enough open receivers on 'Go' routes against Iowa that if we would have hit them, we would have been in the game. But when a guy is playing at less than 30% on a hamstring that's shredded, I can't get too upset with him. Tommie was a baller, and was the reason why we got to 9 wins to begin with.

Reactions: Digger6185
Bugs me that POB couldn't play this year, if accuracy is what the coaches were after. Did TA & Fyfe look more accurate than POB in spring and fall? If so, has POB since become more accurate? Did TA look more accurate and then end up only throwing 50%? I hope they are more accurate, an extra 7-10% completions would have made a lot of difference this year.

Reactions: jeans15
Its nice to see a mixed set of opinions.
1) I believe we will have a very good starting qb next year. We have three that will make this offense, better than this years version of this offense. I hope they are given on field opportunity; including game experience if the O is struggling in a game.
2) They are talented players and will run well. Both designed plays and when they scramble. Happens all the time for other teams ( even PSU ).
3) They will just get better. Tanner will have improved dramatically with physical maturity and the coaching he has received while sitting out. The others are exceptional, and though young, have tremendous upside.
4) All should be more accurate passers ( placing the ball to best spot ) ; basically passing the receiver open. I would include them reading the field and hitting the most open receiver.

No, but our run game was garbage this season when we didn't have the threat of the QB running. Unless the O-Line makes significant strides, our run game will be garbage again next year. Don't see any of our RB's as anywhere near great. And with Cav coaching the O-Line, I'm not expecting much.

It's pretty easy to play the against the run when the QB is not a threat to pass or rush.

Bugs me that POB couldn't play this year, if accuracy is what the coaches were after. Did TA & Fyfe look more accurate than POB in spring and fall? If so, has POB since become more accurate? Did TA look more accurate and then end up only throwing 50%? I hope they are more accurate, and extra 7-10% completions would have made a lot of difference this year.
I get the feeling TA was the starter simply because Mike would have faced a mutiny had TA lost his job as a 5th year senior. Just trying to get the last of the Stockholm Syndrone out of the program before he can fully take the training wheels off...

Gonna need protection or they'll be 50% too after running for lives all season..
I've decided it is time for me to call this claim Bull S***!

Our quarterbacks were running for their lives, because they have no idea how to use a f***ing pocket. How many other teams do you see get sacked 16 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Neither Tommy Armstrong nor Ryker Fyfe have the ability to step into a pocket and go through their progressions. They ran for their lifes, because they were designed to run to the side before they were rushed.

Tell me one f***ing time when Tommy or Ryker did a successful 3 or 5 step drop... All while stepping forward instead of backwards while going through their progressions. You can't because they are not able to do it.

Our line was not as terrible as our quarterbacks made them look.

Last edited:

Our quarterbacks were running for their lives, because they have no idea how to use a f***ing pocket. How many other teams do you see get sack 16 yards behide the line of scrimmage.

Neither Tommy Armstrong nor Ryker Fyfe have the ability to step into a pocket and go through their progressions. They ran for their lifes, because they were designed to run to the side before they were rushed

Tell me one f***ing time when Tommy or Ryker did a successful 3 or 5 step drop... All while stepping forward instead of backwards while going through their progressions. Our line was not as terrible as our quarterbacks made them look
I cant quite gather how you feel about this...could you elaborate further?:pWinking

Reactions: AdaminLincoln
I just wish that some of you could have seen what Mike and DL did with Sean Mannion over the course of his career. I watched it up close and in person and was at many of their practices. It was nothing short of a miracle and if he can have even a fraction of the same results with POB, all I'm going to say is WATCH OUT!!!! I'm talking first round NFL draft pick type results....what an exciting time to be a Corn Husker! There was a reason DL aided in the best statistical season of Eli Manning's pro career.

Reactions: NUHuskerfan
Defenses love stacking the box against the run when they know the QB is extremely accurate but has zero running ability.

They play man on the outsides and bring their safeties up to the line because it doesn't matter how well the QB throws because he cannot run to save his life.

They know he will sit in the pocket until he is sacked or he will hand off.

(Sorry, that's more than 15 words...)

I can understand the optimism surrounding our qb's. It looks to me like our first real test will come in October when we play Wiscy (just figuring that Oregon will still be working their bugs out). So we'll have until the 6th game in to work out some of our kinks as well. Following the Wiscy game, that's when I'll be determining in my own mind the quality of our qb play.

I want this team to succeed as much as the next guy, but tell anyone Tanner Lee is a 55% passer at Tulane. Maybe he is improved but I'd like to see it before putting him in the Heisman race.

Reactions: jeans15
As I already stated, POB is the guy. He will be in Heisman contention next year mark my words!

You must have faith CO2, Nebraska is in good hands now! Just need to get the last bit of the Pelini Virus out and we will be home free!

Our quarterbacks were running for their lives, because they have no idea how to use a f***ing pocket. How many other teams do you see get sack 16 yards behide the line of scrimmage.

Neither Tommy Armstrong nor Ryker Fyfe have the ability to step into a pocket and go through their progressions. They ran for their lifes, because they were designed to run to the side before they were rushed

Tell me one f***ing time when Tommy or Ryker did a successful 3 or 5 step drop... All while stepping forward instead of backwards while going through their progressions. Our line was not as terrible as our quarterbacks made them look

Don't you need a pocket to step in to the pocket?

Our offensive line was horrible..

You must have faith CO2, Nebraska is in good hands now! Just need to get the last bit of the Pelini Virus out and we will be home free!

There is optimism and then there is schnapps-timism. While I am hopeful that we will see better QB play next year, El I am not drinking that Kool-aid but thanks for the laugh.

look forward to a new style of play at QB. maybe it will be matched with better oline play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT