ADVERTISEMENT

Let the QB battle begin....

Imagine for a moment of having a QB that completes 65% passes. We had guys open all the time, this will open up running game as well.

TA could be just awful at times. He would miss open receivers, had a penchant to heave it 30-40 yards downfield and at times not see defenders, His mobility also made up for the deficiencies of the offensive line. Either the new group of quarterbacks better have some sort of mobility or the O line must become better at pass protection or no one is going to complete at least 65% of their passes.

Even IF that is true (I doubt it), at least he IS a crayon.
For the past 8 years we have had leadless pencils at that position
I know one of his instructors, said POB is all in all a good kid but that he writes at about a 5th grade level. I like most people am hoping his quarterbacking ability is much much better than his academic ability.

Even IF that is true (I doubt it), at least he IS a crayon.
For the past 8 years we have had leadless pencils at that position
See TMart's junior stats: 62% completion rate, 2871 yds, 23/12 TD/int, 1019 yds rushing. first team B1G coaches, second team media. Not a leadless pencil. I would have taken that productivity in a heartbeat this year and I would have liked to have seen what he would have done as a senior.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
See TMart's junior stats: 62% completion rate, 2871 yds, 23/12 TD/int, 1019 yds rushing. first team B1G coaches, second team media. Not a leadless pencil. I would have taken that productivity in a heartbeat this year and I would have liked to have seen what he would have done as a senior.
Meh. Your point is noted and well taken.
But I was never a TMart fan. He was not a good enough passer to be effective in big games against good defenses that took away our running game. He also fumbled too much and was good for two or three absolutely boneheaded plays a game. In short, he could, at times, and in a limited way, be an effective QB. But he was not an elite QB and never got us over the hump.

Reactions: bigboxes
I know one of his instructors, said POB is all in all a good kid but that he writes at about a 5th grade level. I like most people am hoping his quarterbacking ability is much much better than his academic ability.
Yikes. Ha. I taught students like that.
Dumb but nice. Hopefully he can play football at a high level despite that!

Awesome that an instructor is sharing info like that with you. I question his integrity.
Is that directed at me or TheNewNu who brought the info?
But just FYI, as a former prof I can attest to the fact that some profs are gossipy and unprofessional assholes

Does not mean this report is true, but I would not rule it out on the grounds that an instructor would not do this. Remember too that there are all kinds of different instructors. From part time adjuncts to full scale full professors. And with those differences also come differences in professional demeanor

Reactions: TheNewNU
It is also true that a kid can be very smart, but still struggle with writing if they are dyslexic. Some kids too are just really bad writers. Not necessarily a reflection on their native intelligence. Crap, I proofread papers from some of my fellow doctoral students when I was at Fordham that were borderline illiterate. Mind blowing

It is also true that a kid can be very smart, but still struggle with writing if they are dyslexic. Some kids too are just really bad writers. Not necessarily a reflection on their native intelligence. Crap, I proofread papers from some of my fellow doctoral students when I was at Fordham that were borderline illiterate. Mind blowing
So true!

English/Grammar mean very little when deciding if someone is intelligent or not. I for one am TERRIBLE with English and Grammar, but I'd challenge everyone of those grammar police to a math quiz and see what happens

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
IMHO, I believe in my heart that part of the reason they stuck with TA and kept POB's redshirt was that they knew our line would never be able to set a good pocket. So, they had to go with a QB that was a threat to run to keep opposing teams from teeing off on every down, like TN did against Fyfe. Had there been any chance of the line being able to consistently pass pro effectively, I think we might have seen POB at some point in the year. It truly was a year to get as much as we could out of what we had and move on. To me, next season starts the true test of an MR and DL offense. Or, maybe that's just what I tell myself to keep from abandoning all hope. Time will tell . . .

Replacing a senior with a three year starter would not have been popular. POB was not ready obviously and there was no sense in subjecting a freshman to the mess.

Ah yes. Finally. Some real facts and not just rumors.
I had forgotten about that
Strange accomplishments for a kid with a fifth grade writing level
Obviously, I can't prove anything, I'm just reporting what I heard from someone who has always been very reliable in the past. I hope Patrick is the real deal and he comes out next season and tears it up for the big red. Going off of what I have heard, I have a lot of confidence Lee will be a 2 year starter for us.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
True but part of the equation is having a QB that can get you in the right plays and then quickly make the right decision of where to go with the ball. Your O line is only part of the problem. A good QB can slow down a rush by being able to consistently complete screens. A good QB can recognize a blitz and get it to hot receiver. I'm really looking forward to see what this offense can do with a guy that can HOPEFULLY make the right reads.

Oh I agree with you..

I guess the point I was trying to make is that no one man will be our Savior here. People tend to expect too much our of young qb's and when they fail to produce miracles theyre seen as average.

Oh I agree with you..

I guess the point I was trying to make is that no one man will be our Savior here. People tend to expect too much our of young qb's and when they fail to produce miracles theyre seen as average.
My post sounds in hindsight like a bash on TA. It really wasn't meant to be. The guy played as hard as anybody ever has IMO for NU and did the best he could. We would have been screwed without him. There are pro QBs that struggle with reads and decision making. Obviously since he plans on working out as a WR for the pros, he recognizes that his skill set probably doesn't translate to the NFL very well. I am hopeful based on reports I've heard from practice that Lee is one of those guys that gets it done.

Imagine a center that doesn't fall over when someone burps.

giphy.gif

Reactions: GBRhuskers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT